• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath goes HD (PSN)

Suzzopher

TheSixthAxis is delighted to reveal the next step in Just Add Water’s Oddworld revamp with an “enhanced remake” of the award-winning Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath coming to PlayStation 3 next Easter.

Stranger’s Wrath was originally released in 2005 on the Xbox, and marks the first time since 1998 that we’ve seen an Oddworld game on a PlayStation console. The game will be available on the PlayStation Store.

“Since word got out that we’ve been working with Oddworld Inhabitants there have been many rumours circulating about what we’re working on. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath is the first project in what we believe will be a long and fruitful relationship,” said JAW’s Stewart Gilray.

“Having the chance to update this great title and release it on PS3 is just a brilliant opportunity, not least for us, but for the fans too.”

Stranger’s Wrath will support 720p visuals with added character detail, fancy effects like normal mapping and self shadowing and plenty of new bonus content. The game will also support the PlayStation Move.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/09/03/oddworld-comes-to-ps3-strangers-wrath/

Holy moly:D

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Holy. Fucking. Shit. This is still one of my all time favourite games. Day one.

Tailzo

I never expected this. I liked the first Oddworld, but I don't think I played any of the others. Maybe a demo of the 2nd? Those were pretty similar, right? U'm interested in the third, but it doesn't play anything like the first two, as far as I know?

Majmun

One of my favorite Xbox games. I've already finished it, though.
But who knows, I might get it again...

Yagharek

INSTANT SALE.

This is one of my favourtie games of all time. Absolutely blew me away back when it first came out, still easily the best looking game on xbox.

Nothing beats laying traps of fuzzles with one loudmouth chippunk inciting a riot. :lol

Suzzopher

Lagspike_exe said:
An Xbox game gets ported to PS3 with updated visuals and Move support. Makes all the sense in the world. :lol

Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future next please:lol

I don't own a Playstation 3 and have no intent on ever buying one.

2eupftd.gif

Don

Finally get to play this! I had been waiting for Microsoft to make this backwards compatible on 360 for so long but it never happened.

Wish it was coming sooner, but I'm just happy that it is coming at all.

ZAnimus

AMAZING news. Stranger's Wrath is one of those games I've always wanted to play, but couldn't as I never had an original Xbox. Can't wait for this.

BLagiver

Banned
Is this the only Oddworld game that hasn't been on a PlayStation console yet?

This will be a day one purchase for me and ill be playing it with the move.

Suzzopher

BLagiver said:

This will be a day one purchase for me and ill be playing it with the move.

Munch's Odyssey wasn't on a PlayStation either.

I was following this on PS2 back in the day, its eventual cancellation was unfortunate. Anyway I'll at least have chance to play it now with this re-release.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BLagiver said:

The first two were on the original playstation.

I knew a girl who loved those games, and was devastated when the then 'next-gen' sequels were going to be Xbox exclusive (they had a PS2).

They should really do Munch's Odyssey for completeness' sake. The PSone games are already on the PSN store.

From what I had heard there was actually a plan in place to release some sort of Oddworld Anthology for the PC, with PC versions of Munch and Stranger.

It was supposed to launch November of last year, as I recall. Hopefully this is part of that.

Nice, I actually dusted off my xbox awhile back to play this game. Should be awesome in Hd. So still no new games from Oddworld inhabitants?

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Both PC and Xbox 360. What happened to those? Oh well, I'll take anything I can get.

I'm pretty sure it was never planned for 360. PC version though: http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/04/23/oddworld-pc-games-on-steam-delayed-but-still-coming-in-2010/

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne Lanning
Here's the insider scoop. It's taken us longer than expected to bring these to market. Basically just production snafus.

We have Munch near finished (in final gold now) and we're still working on Stranger. Stranger has proven much more difficult as we really pushed some rendering aspects on the Xbox and bringing that over to DirectX is a bit of voodoo. So it's taken far longer than expected to convert Stranger than we had initially anticipated. We're still aiming for 2010 but do not have a set month for release.

We are working diligently on getting this done and making sure its all quality conversions. 3 down. 1 to go. Must happen in 2010.

and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne Lanning
We're also building in the Steam Achievements for the games (all four of them), so Steam players will get the added advantage as it relates to their larger network achievements. We wish we had done this upon initial release of the Abe games on Steam, but will fix going forward.

http://www.oddworldforums.net/showpost.php?p=435624&postcount=1

Alastor

If the PC releases are cancelled it's probably because they needed more money than they thought to do them and Sony gave them $ for the exclusivity. I remember there was similar case earlier, but I forgot the title of the game...

Top Bottom