• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere HD remake outsold the original release in one week (Japan)

duckroll

(Numbers courtesy of Media Create)

First week sales:
01./00. [PSV] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir <RPG> (Atlus) {2016.01.14} (¥7.980) - 43.394 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir <RPG> (Atlus) {2016.01.14} (¥7.980) - 42.263 / NEW
10./00. [PS3] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir <RPG> (Atlus) {2016.01.14} (¥7.980) - 9.771 / NEW

Despite being priced even higher than the original game, Atlus has seen great success with the HD remake of Odin Sphere. The original on PS2 released in 2007 was priced at 6980yen before tax, while the remake is 7980yen before tax on all platforms - including the Vita.

The original Odin Sphere on PS2 sold 59,248 copies in the first week, and 84,940 lifetime. The remake has sold 95,428 copies in just the first week.

Vanillaware is a much more popular developer nowadays, thanks to the success of Dragon's Crown. Muramasa PSV also outsold Muramasa Wii vanilla, so it was expected Odin Sphere HD would have sold better - Odin Sphere became a cult hit that was not forgotten by gamers.

Ridley327

Man, Atlus must've done something different with the marketing this time, especially with the price tag being so much higher.

Good to see PS3 finally dying off, too.

FluxWaveZ

They bought it for Ito-san.
J1DO4Mf.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56m15aPRpMk

Jawmuncher

It'll be interesting to see other such remaster a do the same sales wise. I would expect something like god hand doing the same.

Clive

Is Odin Sphere on PSN as a PS2 Classic for PS3 in Japan? I imagine that could potentially have hurt its PS3 sales if it were. 1k Yen vs. 8k Yen or something like that would be a pretty significant difference.

notaskwid

I think that Vanillaware also earned a reputation with Muramasa and Dragon's Crown that they didn't have back when Odin's Sphere was released.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Putting this game on Steam as well is a no brainer.

I'm always so surprised that these kinds of Japanese games can survive off off of like 80,000 ish sales.

With that in mind, i hope the west contributed significantly to the sales of this game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'd say it thanks to the awesome demo on all systems. Probably sold many people on the game (including me).

From what I've played of the demo the gameplay and level design is vastly improved from the original, and it looks fantastic too. Hope it sees the same kind of success worldwide.

Oh this game dips well into remake territory with all the systems changes and refinements

Ive heard nothing but good thing and am very excited to play it again

It seems like Grand Knights History was the beginning of Vanillaware's turn to bigger sales. I believe that was the first game they made that managed to shift 100k units overall. Dragon's Crown just sealed the turn. So it makes sense that Atlus were quick to recognize that and get them working on multiple projects. On another note, I was initally surprised that 13 Sentinels was only announced for the PS4/Vita given that OS is for all three current PS platforms. But it seems like Vanillware made the right call.

I wonder if they'll try to resurrect Princess Crown now? They seem to have all the major players there for it. Although that's obviously be a much bigger undertaking since it was made for the Saturn.

I'm always so surprised that these kinds of Japanese games can survive off off of like 80,000 ish sales.

With that in mind, i hope the west contributed significantly to the sales of this game.
It doesn't come out in the west until June according to Amazon.

In the case of Vanillaware, they had less than two dozen employees around the time they released Odin Sphere initially, plus they had also released GrimGrimoire the same year (though to significantly less fanfare in the end). It's not a huge figure, but for a company of that size it would definitely be enough to keep them going.

Top Bottom