• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officers denied service at Taco Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.
A link to the article.

Several Louisville police officers didn't get the lunch break they expected. They left the Taco Bell on Preston Highway with no food at all.

Five Louisville Metro police officers were working at the state fair and during their lunch break decided to go to Taco Bell. They left hungry and frustrated. "The young man behind the counter turned to the other employees and said,'I'm not taking this order' and walked away from them,” FOP president Dave Mutchler said. Mutchler said a female employee walked toward the register to take the orders, but before she could, officers overheard a conversation between two employees who were making the food. "One of those young men told the other employee, ‘I wanna mess with them. I wanna mess with them.’ And then he followed that up by saying, ‘I'm going to mess with them,’" Mutchler said.

The officers left.

"I think their reaction was kind of like, ‘Really? This is how it's gonna be?’” Mutchler said. Mutchler said Yum Brands and the Louisville franchise owner apologized to the officers.

Taco Bell sent WLKY a statement saying:

“Taco Bell and Bells & Birds, Inc., the franchise owner of this Louisville Taco Bell, do not tolerate discrimination in any way. Bells & Birds, Inc. deeply regrets these officers felt unwelcome in the restaurant, and has apologized directly to the officers and the Louisville Metro Police Department, who made it clear they did not want anyone to lose their job over this incident. We appreciate their ongoing support, and the franchisee is working to re-train its staff at this location."

"Obviously the members aren't very happy about what happened, but at this point, at least they're satisfied that the franchise and Yum is going to address the issue,” Mutchler said. Mutchler said problems like this aren't something they see a lot of in Louisville. "I definitely don't think that the majority of teens working at fast food restaurants would do something like that, but there's always a few out there somewhere,” Mutchler said. Mutchler said a lot of times, officers make sure to eat at restaurants where they can see their food being made because they never know if someone has a problem with police.

That's very unprofessional of the person who was working the counter, add to that the very mention of "messing with" someone's order and you should not be holding down a job at that establishment.

Maybe these officers burned down a village or something, but until that's presented, this just seems petty on the part of the initial cashier.

"One of those young men told the other employee, ‘I wanna mess with them. I wanna mess with them.’ And then he followed that up by saying, ‘I'm going to mess with them,’" Mutchler said.
"You asked for a couple of ice cubes in your drink... and I only put in one."

"You asked for a couple of ice cubes in your drink... and I only put in one."

Ice-Cube_06-08-2015.jpg

weekev

Banned
#notallcops let's not treat all cops with the disdain those in the, albeit ever growing, minority deserve. Yes there is a problem, but this kind of shit is only going to exacerbate it, not make it go away.

Fox Mulder

That's very unprofessional of the person who was working the counter, add to that the very mention of "messing with" someone's order and you should not be holding down a job at that establishment.

Maybe these officers burned down a village or something, but until that's presented, this just seems petty on the part of the initial cashier.

It's a shitty minimum wage fast food job. You aren't pulling from a professional or talented pool.

I'm shocked they weren't fired, as the employees are completely replaceable and the pr hit from any allegations of assholes messing with your food is bad.

We only have the police offers word for this chain of events and they generally haven't proven themselves to be reliable when relaying stories, so I think it would be prudent to wait for more information.

Maledict

This is ridiculous. This is a non-story - some dick employees did something dickish and will no doubt be fired for it.

Meanwhile, thanks to it now being pushed as news, no doubt Trump and Guliani and others will refer to it in the campaign as part of the war on police, and as another example of Obama's failings, etc etc,

Police should note who the person was, so one day when he requires police assistance, they can just fuck with him. Taste of his own medicine.

Yeah how about no to that. Our police are in a bad enough shape already, let's not ask them to sink to the level of 2nd grade pettiness.

I heard the Cops may have been high on caffeine and matched a description of a group of gang members that have been harassing that location, so I imagine the worker might have just mistaken them for dangerous criminals and was just afraid for his life, an understandable reaction. I think it is best we not judge the worker too harshly. Besides I doubt the cops were angels.

Dalibor68

Banned
I heard the Cops may have been high on caffeine and matched a description of a group of gang members that have been harassing that location, so I imagine the worker might have just mistaken them for dangerous criminals and was just afraid for his life, an understandable reaction. I think it is best we not judge the worker too harshly. Besides I doubt the cops were angels.

So because of general police violence against black people this is somehow okay, or what are you trying to say with this smug comment?

A person who threatens to mess with a strangers food shouldn't be allowed to work in the food industry, period. Of course it's a nonstory that got blown up but unfortunately we have plenty of those about many things.

*Splinter

So because of general police violence against black people this is somehow okay, or what are you trying to say with this smug comment?

A person who threatens to mess with a strangers food shouldn't be allowed to work in the food industry, period.
I think what he and many other posters are doing is pointing out how ridiculous these defense look (as if that needed pointing out).

They left hungry and frustrated.

But they left alive...

We only have the police offers word for this chain of events and they generally haven't proven themselves to be reliable when relaying stories, so I think it would be prudent to wait for more information.

The restaurant was going to release the CCTV footage but it suspiciously malfunctioned just before the incident, and started working again when it was all over.

Sushi Nao

Woke teens gonna make weird choices on their process to becoming socially conscious adults. I can't fault the courage of their convictions

A person who threatens to mess with a strangers food shouldn't be allowed to work in the food industry, period. Of course it's a nonstory that got blown up but unfortunately we have plenty of those about many things.

No this is so blatantly not ok (the food tampering that is), much in the same way the rampant police abuse and murder of unarmed black folk is also not ok....

Louisville has developed a bit of anti-police mentality after all the current and past media coverage - like I'm sure most places have. But it's weird for Louisville considering most of the cops I know and see doing rounds are black themselves. I can't figure it out.

CSJ

If the server in question has had issues with the police and suffered directly in some way or another then good. If not, no.

I don't work in the food industry, best I could do was tell someone who bullied me physically in school who came in to my place of work to get out. Luckily my boss is cool with that stuff (he does even worse!) and it's a small business. I don't care how long it has been, that has effected me my whole life.

People that deserve their comeuppance feels good, but we don't know the entire story so, yeah. I'm just rambling.

Louisville has developed this weird anti-police mentality after all the current and past media coverage - like I'm sure most places do. But it's weird for Louisville considering most of the cops I know and see doing rounds are black themselves. I can't figure it out.

Wait do you think that Black cops are less likely to have bias against black citizens?

Cause spoilers, they aren't

I think we should wait until the video evidence comes out we only have one side's story here. Until then I think a suspension with full pay and benefits is in order for the Taco Bell employees until the full investigation is complete in two years.

Hearing of this kinda stuff doesn't surprise me though. Cops are the cause of the contempt and hostility they receive, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

" before she could, officers overheard a conversation between two employees who were making the food. "One of those young men told the other employee, ‘I wanna mess with them. I wanna mess with them.’ And then he followed that up by saying, ‘I'm going to mess with them,’" Mutchler said."

I'm not saying this part sounds like total bullshit, but if I were a person who thought like a cop and was looking to establish motive and intent to carry it out, I might construction a fake-ass sounding conversation like this one.

Its one thing not taking the order, its another thing saying you're going to tamper with food in general. Dude can't be trusted at that point. One of the major rules law enforcement officers of all agencies know is if you're going to wear they badge to get food, go to a place where you can see them preparing your meal.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, why are some of us assuming that the conversation of tampering with food was true?

When the police murder someone we get an investigation and hearing (that usually results in a paid holiday for the cop) and when a fast food employee refuses to serve a cop they should be fired immediately?

Amazing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom