• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Age of Empires: Mythologies Thread

mjc

128.jpg

Published by: THQ
Developed by: Griptonite Games
Genre: Strategy
Number of Players: 1-4
Release Date:
US: November 24, 2008 (OUT NOW....GO GET IT!)
Australia: December 2008
MSRP: $29.99

Screenshots

age-of-empires-mythologies-20080-4.jpg
age-of-empires-mythologies-20080602.jpg

age-of-empires-mythologies-20081023052341376_640w.jpg
age-of-empires-mythologies-20080828031331162_640w.jpg

Available Gods

Egyptians

Ra - God of the sun. Tapping his power brings a bountiful rainfall which boosts your crops while slowing down enemy units.

Isis - Goddess of civilization. Following her gives players an incredible early boost in farmed gold.

Set - God of deserts as well as chaos. His sight allows the player to see the entire map for a set period of time.

Greeks

Zeus - God of storms. He can call down powerful bolts of lightning to kill and maim enemy units.

Poseidon - God of the sea. His control over the sea disables enemy offense for a short period of time.

Hades - God of the dead. His added power grants the player four towers for early defense in matches.

Norse

Odin - All Father and lord of all Norse Gods. His abilities empower all units at play.

Thor - God of Storms. Thor's support comes from the dwarves, which send a mine to aid you in battle.

Loki - The trickster God. With Loki's treachery you're able to get a line of sight to each enemy's town center.

Reviews

IGN - 8.6/10
A game that rivals that of Advance Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, and Disgaea. Age of Empires has returned to DS, and with it comes more units, more strategy, just as strong of an economy system, and even more to explore within the package.

1UP - B
A solid tactics title, and while it follows the beaten path, at least it takes you along the scenic route.

Nintendo Power - 7/10
Mastering the logistical side of things offers plenty of rewards for thoughtful players, and there's nothing like clearing the map with the blades of your wolf-riding Valkyrie hordes. [Holiday 2008, p.84]

GamePro - 3.5/5
That being said, if you haven't yet played an Age of Empires title on the DS, Mythologies is without question the most competent turn-based strategy game available for the console, and if you're a fan of mythology, all the better.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
zoku88 said:
THQ can publish Age of Empires games?

Yes, The Microsoft Game Studio allows for DS (and only DS) games to be made out of its franchises with THQ being the main benefactor.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I think the first was published by Majesco.
Speaking of the first DS AoE game, my brother loved it, so I'll probably be picking this one up for him.

Ensemble is mentioned on the back of the box. They will live on forever! (Oddly enough, the actual developer isn't on the box anywhere...)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, I only found out that Griptonite made this game because of a comment Griptonite's Taron (Spyro Eternal Night, Spider-Man Web of Shadows) made a week or two ago! He didn't work on this game, btw.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Smoking one up for Ensemble tonight, greatest PC developer ever

Reviews on this sound good. Might check it out after I finish my main gamequest

mjc

I'm running into a brick wall with mission 8 on the Egyptian campaign. Has anyone passed that one yet?

Jackson said:
That's because there are better THQ DS Strategy games out right now ;)

That remains to be seen...!

But, yeah, I'll be picking this up tomorrow, probably. I liked the first well enough and like seeing Griptonite getting to work on a decent license.

mjc

So whos bought it? I'm still stuck on mission eight, I just haven't found a strategy that works for more than 15 days.

mjc

I simply cannot pass mission 8 on the Egyptian campaign, I don't really know how to get past it as I've exhausted all strategies.

mjc

Nevermind that, got through it after 29 days. *phew*

The Greek campaign is pretty good so far too.

I agree, this is a very good game.

I got stuck on the Norse campaign. So I've taken a break from that to place the scenarios and now the skirmishes. Some of the scenarios must be impossible.

Do the skirmishes all involve holding a central temple for a set amount of turns (King of the Hill)? Or do some also involve battling till the other teams are destroyed? I prefer the latter, but can't see how to select that as an option. In this regard at least, I liked the customization of Age of Kings a bit better.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
So, minus the bug that bit a lot of folks, how does this hold up to Age of KIngs? I loved that game, I'm thinking this should be a purchase.

If you like that one, I'm sure you'll like this one too. They are very similar, of course. Of the differences, in my opinion some break each way. Age of Kings had been my favorite DS game -- now I'm not sure between that and this one.

I will say that so far this one seems to be a bit more balanced -- or maybe I just haven't yet learned the best combos for this one yet.

Bottom line -- If you liked Kings, I'd recommend Myths without reservation.

Deku

Banned
Have it but haven;t played much. Looks like an HQ title. High production value for a strategy game for sure.

Top Bottom