• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Info Unicorn Overlord

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

The Protagonist

Alain​

Unicorn-Overlord-Alain.webp
"The people of Cornia are suffering, Lex. Should I turn a deaf ear to their voices... I would have little and less claim to the crown I feel is mine.”
Crown prince of the fallen kingdom of Cornia, and son of its queen, Ilenia. After losing his mother at a young age amidst Cornian general Valmore's rebellion, he was ushered to the island of Palevia by the knight Josef, who taught him sword and strategy alike until the age of 17.​

Protagonist’s Allies

Scarlett​

Unicorn-Overlord-Scarlett.webp
“I'll do everything I can. As is my role as a priestess of the Palevian Church.”
A priestess of the Palevian Orthodoxy who, after training tirelessly from a young age, now tends to the cathedral on the island of Palevia. In the end, she opts to leave the island and join Alain on his journey.​

Lex

Unicorn-Overlord-Lex.webp
“Sorry, Alain, but this round's mine!”
A childhood friend of Alain’s, born on the island of Palevia to a local fisherman. After studying under Josef, he resolves to join the quest to liberate Fevrith.

Josef​

Unicorn-Overlord-Josef.webp
"I promise you, my queen, the royal lineage shall endure. 'Tis but a great shame I couldn't aid you further...”
A holy knight of the fallen kingdom of Cornia, he fled to Palevia with Alain ten years ago at Ilenia's behest. He has made great strides toward forming the Liberation Army ever since.​

Protagonist’s Mother

Illenia​

Unicorn-Overlord-Illenia.webp
“The general seeks my death, and mine alone. I shall not flee from that fate.”
The queen of Cornia who ruled with both a keen military mind and a steady hand. Upon realizing there was no quelling the tide of rebellion, she entrusted her son Alain to her loyal retainer, Josef.​

Protagonist’s Enemy

Galerius​

Unicorn-Overlord-Galerius.webp

“It's not merely your throne I aspire towards—it's all of them. Now... I shall achieve that unity through conquest, and reclaim that which is rightfully mine.”
Emperor of the reborn Zenoiran Empire, and once a renowned Cornian general by the name of Valmore. After leading a successful rebellion against the Cornian royal family, he claimed all of Fevrith as his own.​

Gameplay Overview

Freely traverse an expansive world, gather new allies, forge your bonds, and lead the Liberation to glorious victory. Cultivate a grand army with over 60 unique characters, from humans and elves to massive beasts and heavenly angels.

Traverse a vast overworld to liberate Fevrith from the Zenorain Empire’s rule. Reclaim towns and rebuild them with materials you’ve gathered, train your allies, and gather your strength to face ever more powerful foes!

Players can use characters as they see fit, forming powerful units to take into battle. It’s up to you, the commander of the Liberation Army, to decide who to send forth and what tactics to employ!

Game Systems

Explore and battle in any order you want! Players can freely traverse an overworld map to meet and recruit new allies, fight enemies, and liberate and rebuild cities in any order they want. Where you’ll go next, which routes you’ll take, and which battles you’ll fight are entirely up to you! Liberating Fevrith

Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_05.png

Upon defeating the Zenoiran forces in control of towns and fortresses, law and order will be restored to the land and you’ll gain access to facilities such as armorers and provisioners. Wandering enemies are also defeated, making future exploration even easier.
Battle - Command your troops, defend your command post, and strike at enemy lines!
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_24.png
Within each battle stage, both sides will fight to take each other’s command posts in thrilling real-time combat. You, the commander, must keep a close eye on the situation and make critical decisions like which units to send when or where. Victory is secured once you’ve clear certain conditions, such as defeating the enemy general.
Individual battles begin when your units make contact with the enemy during a battle stage. Coordinate a unit’s tactics in advance with conditions that determine how and when skills will automatically be used. Balance your allies’ classes and skills to form the strongest units for the situation and watch the battle unfold as your characters automatically engage in combat! Adapt and improve your tactics as you learn from the results of each battle.
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_10.png
Difficulty Levels – 3 difficulty levels to choose from!
  • Sweet – A difficulty focusing on story. For players looking to win battles without much difficulty.​
  • Normal – A difficulty focusing on tactical gameplay. For players who may be unfamiliar with strategy games.​
  • Hard – A difficulty focusing on pushing your tactical mind to its limits. For players who are quite skilled at strategy games.​
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_15.png
Online Mode
In the coliseum, you can also partake in PvP battles against other players’ units! Assemble your best team, and aim for the top!
Unicorn Overlord is coming to the PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch on March 8, 2024. More new screenshots can be found in the gallery down below.

Screenshots
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_01.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_02.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_03.png

Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_04.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_05.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_06.png

Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_07.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_08.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_09.png

Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_10.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_11.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_12.png

Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_13.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_14.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_16.png

Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_17.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_18.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_19.png

Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_20.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_21.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_22.png

Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_23.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_24.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_25.png

Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_26.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_27.png
Unicorn-Overlord_20230920_29.png

ranmafan

Looking good, and super excited for this. Was the one new game from the Nintendo Direct that caught my attention. Obviously anything Vanillaware is a win for me. Also it has changed my plans for what games I’m getting in the beginning of the year since all the Japanese game companies seem to want to release everything in that five week period up to the release of this game.

NanaMiku

There's also a gameplay video from Atlus

The video is for Persona 3 Reload and Unicorn Overlord. The Unicorn Overlord part start at 51:00

Turns out the director is not George Kamitani

They also announced 13 Sentinels concert in Japan. I hate this so much because I will go to Japan at the end of January until February 7th, and the concert is on February 17th

1550766a9a.png

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Day one. The core game design is appealing, and a lot of the mechanics and design choices I'd hoped they'd make are there. Free roaming the overworld map, no respawning to encourage exploration, and they'll implement PvP as well, allowing you to test out units to figure out good strategies. Let's fucking go!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Looking at screenshots, the game looks fucking gorgeous! its not surprising since its Vanillaware....still GOD DAMN! I can stare at these screenshots for hours.

Last edited:
Famitsu confirmed during the Atlus Media Briefing at Tokyo Game Show 2023 that the company’s upcoming tactical RPG with Vanillaware, Unicorn Overlord, will feature over 100 characters.

It’s worth emphasizing that this does not mean playable since roughly 60 will be. This just means that throughout the story and likely side content, players can expect to see over 100 unique characters throughout their war adventure. This is truly shaping up to be Vanillaware’s most ambitious game yet, at least in terms of quantity and scale.

Shifty1897

So from a gameplay perspective, this looks to be very inspired from Ogre Battle, right? Never thought I'd see a modern game like this. Looks awesome.

Top Bottom