• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Deadly Creatures thread for arachnophobic gamers

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
It's Eurogamer, dude? If there is one site, you can completely ignore it's them. And I don't even care about this game or even posted anything about it here. This is not me defending the game, for all I know it got shit reviews everywhere.

But still, Eurogamer? :lol

TheCardPlayer said:
It's Eurogamer, dude? If there is one site, you can completely ignore it's them. And I don't even care about this game or even posted anything about it here. This is not me defending the game, for all I know it got shit reviews everywhere.

But still, Eurogamer? :lol

The fuck are you on about? Eurogamer has had some questionable reviews in their time(nvr 4get re4wii) but most reviews are great.

maxmars

EDarkness said:
Man, reviews are all over the place. Just read this one from Eurogamer and it's not very good.

Damn, it's really hard to get a gauge on Wii games since reviews generally cover every end of the spectrum. Trying to decide whether to buy this or not, but reviews like this don't help.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deadly-creatures-review

I can agree with some of the complaints, I'd say the game is built around a great representation of the critters and some clever level design (but this is not consistent). All the rest is fairly average.

Personally I just love how it's animated, how it controls (it's good to go around slowly crawling or doing finishing moves), the fact that you're not the powerhouse you are in other games. Yes, flying insects are immensely dangerous because they can fly away, but that's how life goes for you as a spider.

Mdk7

My eurogamer.it review is coming in a few hours... and as happened with Big Bang Mini i STRONGLY disagree with the UK staff.

pakkit

Banned
Eurogamer said:
As the combat breaks down, the game starts taking cheap shots wherever possible. Enemies unleash block-breaking attacks that take off huge chunks of health, or use combo strings that leave little room for retaliation. Played on anything more than the easiest setting, the combat soon becomes incredibly annoying as the simple bugs of the early stages give way to rats, lizards and hornets that hover out of reach, only offering themselves up for damage for short periods of time. Helplessly flailing as your health is whittled down yet again by attacks you're seemingly unable to avoid or repel, the novelty of the setting soon wears thin. Boss battles, on the other hand, are simplistic affairs based around flashing weak spots and QTE sequences.

Okay, so the game never felt "cheap" to me. It was difficult at some moments, and it definitely required some strategies, but it wasn't cheap at all. It seems the reviewer just didn't think of ways to get out of fights, here some slight spoilers that'll help you get through the game:

1. Think about the different effects of your attacks - If you're hanging sideways or fighting upside down, try to find an opening and then unleash exclusively "upswing" attacks. If you can get the insects into the air, they'll fall the the floor and almost always automatically die.

2. Use the moves you unlock. Different enemies have different strengths. If you get an attack, chances are you got it because you'll have the chance to use it very soon. Some animals charge at you, meaning you better jump and run the hell away if you're the spider (or, conversely, leap attack/stealth attack them), or you can do my favorite move as a scorpion, digging into the ground and then unearthing yourself and flipping the enemy when you pop out.

3. All of the enemies have their weakness. The flying enemies were really easy, because they follow a strict pattern, and once you latch onto it it's pretty simple to get past them. The main risks are bugs that can poison you, but luckily, around the same time that attack is unleashed on you it is granted. It's a huge help, and it can take down enemies that used to be a hassle much quicker.

4. The early levels are the hardest. You'll level up your attacks and your movelist, so by the end the game has to throw a lot of characters at you to even be remotely challenging.

Finally, the boss battles in this game are great. The only problem is that they're over too quickly and there are not enough of them. But the stages where the fights were set and merely trying to overcome the obstacles presented was great fun while it lasted.

I'd definitely rent this game at the very least, and buy it if you want to support a good first-effort with top-notch graphical design by a talented developer.

maxmars

pakkit said:
Okay, so the game never felt "cheap" to me. It was difficult at some moments, and it definitely required some strategies, but it wasn't cheap at all.

Without the challenge, or if it allowed you to fend off dozens of foes at once, it would have been a pretty average game. It works beautifully right because you operate (mostly) within real world parameters.

Tab0203

EDarkness said:
Man, reviews are all over the place. Just read this one from Eurogamer and it's not very good.

Damn, it's really hard to get a gauge on Wii games since reviews generally cover every end of the spectrum. Trying to decide whether to buy this or not, but reviews like this don't help.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deadly-creatures-review
Eurogamer said:
There are no multiplayer options
4/10? That's harsh.
Collision detection is pretty bad (I fell through the floor once) at times, especially on smaller objects, but I couldn't care less for multiplayer. It's all about atmosphere.

A more polished sequel would be nice.

2nkql1.gif

5pmold.gif

iejdch.gif

http://i42.tinypic.com/op70bd.gif
http://i43.tinypic.com/5agdtw.gif
http://i40.tinypic.com/rjo68k.gif

I can't believe I bought this. It's not terrible, but it's far from great. A definite rent-before-you-buy for those considering a purchase.

CoolS

dialmydrive said:
I can't believe I bought this. It's not terrible, but it's far from great. A definite rent-before-you-buy for those considering a purchase.

Would you mind explaining yourself? I know the game has it's flaws, but that sounds a little harsh

kinggroin

Banned
My lord. That eurogamer reviewer sounds like he just plain ol sucks :lol

I mean c'mon, EASY mode? I've been alternating between hard and normal, and not once has the game felt cheap. Every single enemy in this game has a weakness, and both the scorpion and spider have ways to exploit them.

Hell, that's proven when you have to fight that spiny gilla monster thing with both the scorpion and the spider. You realize very quickly that what worked for one, does NOT work for the other.

Strategy. Use it.

edit:

Damn, a 4/10?!?

pakkit

Banned
Was I the only person that thought by the end of the game, despite the game's obvious design for the Scorpion to be the "tank" and the Tarantula to be the "agile" fighter, the spider was more powerful?

His
stealth attack
is completely unbalanced, and can be used to exploit every character that isn't flying. Plus, his
feeding
ability seemed to yield more health than the Scorpion's QTEs. Even though his gameplay was initially much more "stop n pop" than the Scorpions, by the games end I was able to be evasively devastating with both characters. I can always appreciate some basic character development in my games.

kinggroin

Banned
pakkit said:
Was I the only person that thought by the end of the game, despite the game's obvious design for the Scorpion to be the "tank" and the Tarantula to be the "agile" fighter, the spider was more powerful?

His
stealth attack
is completely unbalanced, and can be used to exploit every character that isn't flying. Plus, his
feeding
ability seemed to yield more health than the Scorpion's QTEs. Even though his gameplay was initially much more "stop n pop" than the Scorpions, by the games end I was able to be evasively devastating with both characters. I can always appreciate some basic character development in my games.

I actually felt that up until chapter 5 or 6, the scorpion was way more powerful. I had an easier time dispatching critters with the poison-tailed wonder. Once the spider aquired the feed and pounce, the advantage swung very quickly in it's favor.

So for me, early game = Scorpion, end game = Spider.

maxmars

kinggroin said:
I actually felt that up until chapter 5 or 6, the scorpion was way more powerful. I had an easier time dispatching critters with the poison-tailed wonder. Once the spider aquired the feed and pounce, the advantage swung very quickly in it's favor.

So for me, early game = Scorpion, end game = Spider.

IMHO the best thing in early Scorpion levels is the combo attack -- it just sucks the breath away from your foe. Even black widows carefully cornered don't stand a chance.

But the spider is much more cool looking. :D

Haunted

Combat-wise, I liked the scorpion more in the beginning, (blocking is invaluable for a more tactical approach) - but the tarantula's stealth pounce (C -> aim -> A) is just too good. Unblockable, easy to execute, very powerful. I almost felt bad for the other bugs/lizards. :lol

Tab0203 said:
Fucking love it. The animation of the critters is just top notch.

maxmars said:
Just thought I could share: "help yourself!" (NSFW?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fried_spiders_Skuon_Cambodia.jpg
Gah! Why the fuck did I even click on that with such a filename. :lol >_<

dream

dialmydrive said:

Yeah, I agree. I only played through the first 3 levels but I was thinking "why am I playing this?" the whole time I did so.

sammy

i really don't think the game deserves such a harsh review. it's unique premise, and interesting storytelling yarn is enough to set it apart from most games out there. it might not be the naturalist simulator that many of us animal lovers are hoping for, but it's a fun beat'em'up that keeps offering challenges. not to mention that the environment is fun to explore around every corner. and visually, things are very accurate

i haven't completed it, just soaking it in. I'm sure it'll be quite some time before another game where i play something other than a human will release, in the meantime i'm enjoying what i got here.

Gino

Started playing last night. Pretty awesome so far. Have you guys noticed your Wii drive being really load during the cutscenes? mine seems to be constantly working while billy bob is talking during the intro.

Haunted

Gino said:
Started playing last night. Pretty awesome so far. Have you guys noticed your Wii drive being really load during the cutscenes? mine seems to be constantly working while billy bob is talking during the intro.
I noticed lots of seeking going on in the background, yeah.

kinggroin said:
My lord. That eurogamer reviewer sounds like he just plain ol sucks :lol

Yeah, I can certainly see a good number of valid complaints about this game, but its difficulty isn't one of them. It has its hard points, but nothing that's any worse than the norm in videogames. I found you can do well with a bit of strategy, but you should be able to complete the game eventually just by button-mashing, and that's on normal.

Have you guys noticed your Wii drive being really load during the cutscenes? mine seems to be constantly working while billy bob is talking during the intro.

Want to hear something funny? It's just the sound that's causing all that activity. My friend's game bugged out (this game is soooo beta) and lost the audio after the credits rolled, and when it went back to the title screen with no sound, the annoying disc access noises were gone, but the awesome title screen kept going with no hitches. He re-started the game and the loud drive noises came back.

Gino

Haunted said:
I noticed lots of seeking going on in the background, yeah.
It was probably because I was playing in bed with the sound almost all the way down. My wife complained about it being loud and i'm like ... the sound isn't even up.

Okay, so I'm just starting out... and to be honest, the first two levels really aren't grabbing me. It seems really clunky.

But! It's kinda getting better. It's growing on me.

Okay, it's getting much better as it goes along... but damn, if Rainbow Studios ever makes a sequel, they need to work on the controls and camera.

And I'm not sure who on earth decided that the menus could be navigated by only the D-Pad on the Wiimote.

GoDLiKe

I'm on chapter 4 right now and while I don't agree with everything that the Eurogamer reviewer said, the game is far from great.

At least for me, it's just a beat'em up with animals, nothing else. Ok, it's different because you never played as a spider (except on Spiderman games :D) or scorpion, and it's cool to see the giant humans, for example, and the sound effects.

But there are some problems. First, the game is a little boring. I did nothing but beat some animals. The QTE's are TERRIBLE, the motion system is pretty weak and it's very hard to do the moviments in the first try. The only special hability that I thought it was cool is the web ability, where you can throw it to reach other places. In general, it's cool to play as a spider, but very, very boring to play as a scorpion.

Other flaws:

- like EmCeeGramr said, man, who decided that the menus could be navigated by only the D-Pad? JESUS, what a terrible decision;
- where's the fucking story? Four chapters and nothing?

Well, besides of the problems, the visuals are very good, specially the animations (top notch). The battle against the snake was AWESOME, due to the animations. Same about the lizard.

My opinion: rent it. It's not that good, like IGN said, but it's not THAT BAD like Eurogamer said. If the game doesn't change too much, i'd give a 6/10.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I’m enjoying this.

It’s certainly far from perfect. Assy collision detection, occasional cheap attacks by enemies (FUCK YOU LIZARDS), very choppy framerate sometimes, and really rather repetitive gameplay.

But the environments are really immersive, the music and graphics are great, and the character animations are spot on. I haven’t had any problems with any of the motion controls, so combat is for most part fun.

I quite like the differences between the tarantula and the scorpion. At first I loved the former and hated the latter, then the opposite, then reversed again, and so on. Unlocking stealth pounces and webbing with the spider is a joy, and the scorpions ‘fatality’ kills are responsive to control and visually pleasing.

It’s absolutely a brawler though, which will make or break the game for many people. For me personally it was nice to go from a grinding hack-and-slash like No More Heroes to something where combat lasts a little longer and is more one-on-one.

It’s the kind of game I think is at least worth a rental, just to try out the style. If you like it, buy it. With a greater budget and more solid production values a sequel could be really something special.

El-Suave

I'm in chapter 7 now and I'm having good fun with the game! The graphics are very nice and the gameplay is pretty good as well. I really like the combat so far - having very few problems with it. The Eurogamer UK reviewer should hand in his badge if he's having serious issues with that aspect of the game after spending the time required for a review.

The only major complaint I have is with an aspect of the tarantula gameplay. You can actually fall to your death from a 30cm fall onto normal ground during some gameplay passages. It happened to me twice so far. Aside from being totally unrealistic that almost qualifies as a gameplay bug I think.
Other complaints are minor, save points can be overlooked plus they almost look like an enemy and it's not the first 3d game with a few camera problems, but again, they're minor.

Overall I'd really recommend the game to anyone who is looking to give his/her Wii some action.

Still can't find the game anywhere, online or off. Distribution here in the UK sucks, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it contributed to the poor placement on the charts.

El-Suave

Cosmonaut X said:
Still can't find the game anywhere, online or off. Distribution here in the UK sucks, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it contributed to the poor placement on the charts.

Game.co.uk has it in stock, imported from there as well to escape our huge German ratings sticker. Got a bunch of other stickers in exchange for it though, but I guess all PAL versions have those.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Cosmonaut X said:

I got it from Sainsbury's on Friday for an online-beating £19.97.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
El-Suave said:
The only major complaint I have is with an aspect of the tarantula gameplay. You can actually fall to your death from a 30cm fall onto normal ground during some gameplay passages. It happened to me twice so far. Aside from being totally unrealistic that almost qualifies as a gameplay bug I think.
Other complaints are minor, save points can be overlooked plus they almost look like an enemy and it's not the first 3d game with a few camera problems, but again, they're minor.

Overall I'd really recommend the game to anyone who is looking to give his/her Wii some action.
Its strange that everyone seems to think that tarantulas are impervious to falls. In real life you have to be very careful handling a tarantula as a small fall can be deadly.

poppabk said:
Its strange that everyone seems to think that tarantulas are impervious to falls. In real life you have to be very careful handling a tarantula as a small fall can be deadly.

I can't personally speak for tarantulas (which I have read are pretty fragile), but I'm quite familiar with the exact species of scorpion that's in the game, and they can survive a fall from any height they can climb to unfazed, much less damaged. I expect they could probably survive a fall from the edge of space.

pakkit

Banned
Leondexter said:
I can't personally speak for tarantulas (which I have read are pretty fragile), but I'm quite familiar with the exact species of scorpion that's in the game, and they can survive a fall from any height they can climb to unfazed, much less damaged. I expect they could probably survive a fall from the edge of space.
The scorpion never falls in the game though...

pakkit said:
The scorpion never falls in the game though...

He sure did for me, although admittedly not much. That's probably only because he wasn't allowed to crawl on as many surfaces to begin with, which is another inaccuracy. Scorpions can crawl upside-down or on almost anything they like.

On the other hand, these bugs practically do kung-fu, so any desire for real-life accuracy should be flexible. :lol

El-Suave

Completed the game by now. It was a fun ride. Surely this is not a great game but it is a good one.

The ending cinematic must have been the lowest resolution movie to ever "grace" my projector screen. The game looked pretty great for a Wii game (apart from some pretty rough spots here and there), but what were they thinking when they encoded that movie?

For a sequel, which probably will never happen, I'd wish for more interactions with humans and human environments. The little nod to
Shadow of the Colossus
in the last level was hilarious.

Top Bottom