• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FIFA World Cup 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
jamesinclair said:
Croatia will beat Brazil 3-2.
Croatia will tie with Japan 1-1
Croatia will beat Australia 1-0

BELIEVE

(Brasil will beat Australia 4-1. Poor Australia)
Typical blind beliefs :lol Your opinions have been nullified till the game's start.

xabre

Banned
Australia vs Croatia will be good. Particularly so since half the Croat team has been trained by the Australian Institute of Sport - took our tax dollars for their development then pissed off to play for the 'motherland'.

Shinobi

skybaby said:
^^ Youre just jealous we are going to win another World Cup
Pre-world cup stirring up FTW!
:D

:lol I love Brazil...love their style, love their flair, love their women. But I do think the team is overrated. That said, you'd have to be dumber then a bag of rocks to not list them as the favourites.

The whole diving thing is hilarious...Arsenal have or have had Reyes, Pires and Vieira taking dives for years, Man U had Rooney's infamous dive that effectively ended our unbeaten run, Gerrard's dive was world class since it had everyone fooled at first glance, and Chelsea's got two of the funniest divers around in Robben and Drogba. Every team has divers, and it's only an issue if it happens against your team. Look at the way Arsenal were going on about some of the "cheating" taking place in the Champions League final, while Eboue's sorry looking dive lead to our only goal.

:lol Until FIFA decides to show some fucking balls to stamp down on this practice by using post-match reviewing and punishment (red card, fine, suspension or whatever), this shit will always continue. So fans will just have to deal with it, and hope that your divers are better then theirs. :lol

BTW, diving is considered a perfectly acceptable soccer tatic in many South American nations, which basically means it's ingrained into their soccer upbringing. And looking at things objectively, who's to say that they're wrong? But again, that's what FIFA is there for...they can choose to get serious about it, or simply turn a blind eye to it as they appear to be doing.

Hollan-Mexico just finished, 2-1

I am never watching a game with Holland again. I have never seen a team pass the ball to their goalie more than they did. The game didnt start until Mexico scored the first goal, and even then, Holland kept the ball in the back.

I get its a strategy, but that doesnt stop it from being bad football. Second half was much better.

For the sake of the World Cup, Holland should not be allowed to past the first round.

Falch

jamesinclair said:
Hollan-Mexico just finished, 2-1

I am never watching a game with Holland again. I have never seen a team pass the ball to their goalie more than they did. The game didnt start until Mexico scored the first goal, and even then, Holland kept the ball in the back.

I get its a strategy, but that doesnt stop it from being bad football. Second half was much better.

For the sake of the World Cup, Holland should not be allowed to past the first round.

Well, for your information, this was Holland B team playing. Eight of the 11 players that will probably start in the world cup were on the bench: Van Der Sar, Ooijer, Mathijsen, Gio, Van Bommel, Cocu, Robben and Van Nistelrooij. You should have seem them play against Cameroon last weekend. Much, much better performance.

I'm actually quite content with the result, and the way they played in the second half. They only gave away one chance, although that did result in a goal.

Btw, after 13 minutes of play, Holland had a staggering 87% ball possession.:lol Even at the end of the match, that figure had only dropped to 75%.

Falch said:
Well, for your information, this was Holland B team playing. Eight of the 11 players that will probably start in the world cup were on the bench: Van Der Sar, Ooijer, Mathijsen, Gio, Van Bommel, Cocu, Robben and Van Nistelrooij. You should have seem them play against Cameroon last weekend. Much, much better performance.

I'm actually quite content with the result, and the way they played in the second half. They only gave away one chance, although that did result in a goal.

Btw, after 13 minutes of play, Holland had a staggering 87% ball possession.:lol Even at the end of the match, that figure had only dropped to 75%.

I was looking for those stats. One thing is having good posession while playing (like the 2nd half).

Another thing is passing the ball betweent the goalie and the defendors for 5 minutes, only to pass it to midfield...and have it returned.

Its so booooooring.

Shinobi

Wes said:
Best report I've heard on this so far is it was:

"Like watching an unoiled crane trying to manoeuvre in high winds"

:lol :lol

:lol He sure looked good with the strike though...

Falch

jamesinclair said:
I was looking for those stats. One thing is having good posession while playing (like the 2nd half).

Another thing is passing the ball betweent the goalie and the defendors for 5 minutes, only to pass it to midfield...and have it returned.

Its so booooooring.

Yeah, I agree with that. Problem was that 2 out of 3 midfielders (Maduro and Landzaat) played a poor first half. Combined with the not so great playmaker abilities of the central defenders Heitinga and Boulahrouz, you get a lot of mindless passing of the ball between midfield, defense and goalkeeper. We won't have that problem when we put Ooijer back in defense, and Cocu and Van Bommel/Vd Vaart on midfield.

I watched parts of the U-21 semifinal. Great performance by Holland. Both Huntelaar and Hofs played their best match of the tournament. It's even more impressive considering France had won all of it's group matches, and had not allowed one goal. I honestly gave Holland little chance of winning the match. Also, great to see Aisatti playing the full 120 minutes. Youngest player of the tournament (only 17 years old), yet so important.

Wes

venison crêpe
Shinobi said:
:lol He sure looked good with the strike though...

I'm worried it was more luck than anything because he did hit it without even looking at the target. Either that or he comes complete with sonar.

Prince

447f65adb285f477736732.gif

447f660749144399518145.gif

too bad van Basten was an idiot for not taking Huntelaar instead of Vennegoor.

btw this is the 2nd goal in the semi final of the European Under-21 Championship that Holland won against France. (3-2)

beto

Simian. Sexual. Servitude.
Click for full us tv schedule, all games will be broadcast. In Spanish univision & telefutura, English espn2 & ABC. English: all 64 games will be simulcast live in High Definition on "HD" versions of their respective TV networks.
http://www.soccertv.com/wc-us.cfm

GC|Simon

Break at Germany - Columbia. It stands 2:0 for Germany. Schweini scored :)

It's over now. 3:0 for Germany. Goals from: Ballack, Schweinsteiger, Borowski.

Pimpwerx

There's something wrong with this thread. I can't quite put my finger on it....ah, that's it. Not enough busted-up grilles in this bitch. RONALDINHO TO THE RESCUE!!!

ronaldinho.jpg

ronaldinho_005.jpg

I gotta say, though, homeboy looks better without the hair [Cam'ron]No homo[/Cam'ron]
ronaldinho_003.jpg

I'm a Brazil mark through and through, but I'll be cheering for the US team since Senegal and Nigeria didn't make it this time. Those are usually the teams I support. Black people gotta stick together. :lol PEACE.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Japan can't hold onto a lead and will struggle to score (as they showed in the week). Mark my words. Their strikeforce is very weak with pretty much none showing any kind of decent form over the last few years.

- Yanagisawa has failed to score a single goal in two years of European football.
- Takahara can't secure a place in Hamburg's starting line and I think he's scored one goal in the past season.
- Oguru has done OK but then again he's playing in the French second division. Against world class defenders he'll struggle.

They pose the most threat in midfield, which is probably where they'll shine (and from set peices), but you won't get anywhere without at least one decent striker.

Falch

Juno said:
Japan can't hold onto a lead and will struggle to score (as they showed in the week). Mark my words. Their strikeforce is very weak with pretty much none showing any kind of decent form over the last few years.

- Yanagisawa has failed to score a single goal in two years of European football.
- Takahara can't secure a place in Hamburg's starting line and I think he's scored one goal in the past season.
- Oguru has done OK but then again he's playing in the French second division. Against world class defenders he'll struggle.

They pose the most threat in midfield, which is probably where they'll shine (and from set peices), but you won't get anywhere without at least one decent striker.

Well, you wouldn't say, based on the 2-2 friendly against Germany last week. Takahara actually scored both Japanese goals, and the strikers seemed quite capable of ripping the Germany defense to shreds.

Wes

venison crêpe
England 2 - 0 Jamaica after 16 minutes.

First was a well worked long ball to Crouch who headed it on to Owen, pass back to Lampard who scored.

Second was from another Beckham free kick, defender own goal.

Three goals from Beckhams free kicks in two games. Where are those people who wanted him on the bench and Lennon to start now eh? :lol

speedpop

Juno said:
While it's true Yanagisawa is nothing but a second string striker (and really, in my eyes.. shouldn't be in the starting 11) and Oguro is not really your out and out scoring force. Takahara is really the main issue IMO.. once he gets going, he is like a raging bull and I have firm belief that he will really fire up for this World Cup due to donning the national blue uniform. He has the foot, the build and slight speed to really hassle defenders when he runs straight at them.. but I'm more concerned with his header's. If he gets any space during a set piece with Nakamura's magical left foot pin-pointing him then the chances of a goal are pretty much certain.

Defining someone's club skills is the most logical choice.. but patriotism really comes into it and this is exactly why World Cups are so loved around the world - they're hard to define. My main example is Viduka being handed the captain banner for Australia; he's grown in stature so much due to this.

Wes

venison crêpe
RoboCrouch scores a hattrick! (Even though me missed with the worst penalty kick ever).

6-0. Very comfortable. Bring on Paraguay!

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Falch said:
Well, you wouldn't say, based on the 2-2 friendly against Germany last week. Takahara actually scored both Japanese goals, and the strikers seemed quite capable of ripping the Germany defense to shreds.
To begin with, I wouldn't put all that much faith in a friendly game, especially a pre World Cup warm-up game. I also don't rate the current German national side. The best thing they have going for them is home advantage and a fairly easy group.

As for Takahara, this is a player who's scored 1 goal in 21 games over the past domestic season (and not suprisingly has been consequently sold to known Bundesliga strugglers, Frankfurt). You say they're capable of ripping the German defence to shreads, but I say conceeding a goal so late and dropping a 2-goal advantage is the sign of a team that's going to struggle against teams like Brazil, Croatia and Australia in a competitive atmosphere.

I'm not saying he's incapable of scoring or anything - just that I don't think the team in general will go very far (I'd be suprised if they made it out the group stages).

shpankey

not an idiot
My picks:

GROUP A
Germany
Costa Rica

GROUP B
England
Sweden

GROUP C
Argentina
Netherlands

GROUP D
Mexico
Iran

GROUP E
Italy
USA

GROUP F
Brazil
Japan

GROUP G
France
Korea Republic

GROUP H
Spain
Ukraine

P.S. Ruud van Nistelrooy will rule this world cup as he leads Holland to win it all. IMO, the best player in the game today.

Even though I'm an Italy fan all the way, I've always liked England (as opposed to teams like Brazil and France who I don't like- save for Henry), and I wouldn't mind them winning at all (so long as it's not at the expense of Italy).

But man, if I didn't like them before, this Crouch guy would have won me over. Some tall ****ing lanky dude with a killer strike who does the robot after he scores?!

Come on, that's PR gold.

shpankey

not an idiot
haha :lol I love Crouch too. He won me over bigtime. that tall skinny **** has got skills and i just love how hard he plays. he also has deceptive speed b/c of the long stride. and i love how so many underestimate him.

p.s. go USA! :D if not them, then England would be my next favorite to root for.

but as I said, I think Holland is going to take it all. they create like no other team out there. that and Ruud van Nistelrooy is just... WOW!

p.p.s. i would absolutely LOVE to see a Mexico v. USA match in this cup. i would freak the **** out for that. :lol I ****ing HATE them! :D

Shinobi

shpankey said:
P.S. Ruud van Nistelrooy will rule this world cup as he leads Holland to win it all. IMO, the best player in the game today.

WTF? He's not even the best forward at Man United. :lol And Theirry Henry just owns the shit out of him.

That said, I think Ruud is gonna fill it up in Germany...I wouldn't be surprised if he won the golden boot. He's got a big chip on his shoulder with something to prove, not to mention he's basically courting himself for other teams since a return to Old Trafford is about as likely as Patrick Vieria inviting him over to Christmas dinner.

As for Peter Crouch, where are all the people who think he's useless? :lol Four quality goals in two games, and it would've been five if not for the worst spot kick in the history of football. The robo dancing is just the icing on the cake.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
shpankey said:
haha :lol I love Crouch too. He won me over bigtime. that tall skinny **** has got skills and i just love how hard he plays. he also has deceptive speed b/c of the long stride. and i love how so many underestimate him.

p.s. go USA! :D if not them, then England would be my next favorite to root for.

but as I said, I think Holland is going to take it all. they create like no other team out there. that and Ruud van Nistelrooy is just... WOW!

p.p.s. i would absolutely LOVE to see a Mexico v. USA match in this cup. i would freak the **** out for that. :lol I ****ing HATE them! :D
lol. love how you edited out Ruud being the 'best' player in the game. you upped your credibility just a tiny hair :)

xabre

Banned
shpankey said:

That'd be handy, it's about the only decent football team in the world the US can beat with any sort of consistency.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Shinobi said:
As for Peter Crouch, where are all the people who think he's useless? :lol Four quality goals in two games, and it would've been five if not for the worst spot kick in the history of football. The robo dancing is just the icing on the cake.

*raises hand*

I still think he's useless.

Here's my proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROQDgQOumBQ&search=peter crouch penalty

And I cant believe he was given the second goal either as it was clearly going wide before the deflection.

2 good finishes in two games, i'll give him that, but if you look at all the space he had for both those goals, cant see him getting that against actual world cup teams.

Wes

venison crêpe
Ghost said:
*raises hand*

I still think he's useless.

Here's my proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROQDgQOumBQ&search=peter crouch penalty

And I cant believe he was given the second goal either as it was clearly going wide before the deflection.

2 good finishes in two games, i'll give him that, but if you look at all the space he had for both those goals, cant see him getting that against actual world cup teams.

Well the penalty is inexcusable I grant you, but it's clear he was just suffering from overconfidence. I mean if it was a competitive match I'm sure Owen would've taken it (seeing as Lampard, Beckham etc had all gone off). I even heard that Sven told the media a list of people he would put forward for taking penalties should a shoot out occur and Crouch was nto one of them so he's obviously not that good at them. I'm pretty sure the team just wanted him to get his hattrick. Remember it was the same Old Trafford crowd who heckled him a year ago who were cheering him yesterday.

His first goal would've probably hit the post had that defender not been there. It did have some whip on it. Where it would've gone from there... who knows.

Crouch may not be the most prolific of strikers, but his height is an obvious asset to the team. He gels well with Owen, holds up the ball when needed and as we saw by the goal against Hungary and his last one again Jamaica he does have moments of brilliance.

Lets hope his confidence continues in Germany. He seems to thrive on the crowd backing him so I hope the Germans enjoy the robot :lol

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I dont think he does hold up the ball well against good opposition, he's too easily pushed out of position and under pressure some of his passing (with head or feet) is just plain awful.

He did do well at holding it up against Jamaica, i was pleasently supprised by that. But ive seen him play badly in that role for England and Liverpool all season so i remain unconvinced.

Wes

venison crêpe
Ghost said:
He did do well at holding it up against Jamaica, i was pleasently supprised by that. But ive seen him play badly in that role for England and Liverpool all season so i remain unconvinced.

I must admit I haven't seen many Liverpool games to comment on his domestic season but I think he'll prove good for England.

I don't see him as much as an outright goalscorer himself, but these last few England games he's played well with his back to the goal and I think provides a link between our impressive midfield and Owen. As we saw against Hungary putting someone like Gerrard up front, trying to link Owen and the midfield didn't work - it's not his best position. So who else is there?

(Not to say I wouldn't drop him like a shot if Rooney was fit. Unless RoboCrouch scores once or twice through each of the group games!)

Ghost said:
I dont think he does hold up the ball well against good opposition, he's too easily pushed out of position and under pressure some of his passing (with head or feet) is just plain awful.

Bollocks. His ability to hold up the ball was the main reason we were so much better in the league this season, he's one of the best forwards in the league when it comes to holding the ball up. His flick-ons when the ball is booted up to him are pretty decent, and when the ball is played to his feet he is excellent at holding off defenders and finding a red shirt, even turning and getting away from his marker.

His main weakness is the complete lack of power he gets on his headers from crosses.

speedpop

Damn 1 - 1 draw.

Australia down to 10 men for the last 40 mins of the match due to a silly decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom