• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
psycho_snake said:
Iraq won the asian cup. They beat saudi 1-0. Its unbelieveable when you consider what the country is going through. They had quite a tough tournament. They had to play australia, south korea and saudi, which are all tough teams. I'm proud of them.
Great win for Iraq. I hope the celebrations aren't marred by more violence tonight.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Gallas...who's come out as captain today...is playing, as are Eboue, Sagna and Hoyte.

I think it's like this:

--------------Lehmann

Sagna----Toure----Gallas----Hoyte

Eboue----Flamini----Fabregas----Gibbs

------------------Hleb

---------------Van Persie

Mama Smurf

Hundreds of players are cheating whores, they don't get booed. And unless he's done something to Arsenal in particular, Arsenal fans aren't likely to know that.

I just want someone to tell me he's not going booed for being headbutted. That would be the stupidest reason ever.

Frenck

Banned
That was just the tip of the iceberg, I mean him calling Zidane's sister is a whore and getting the only valid answer anyone should ever give to such a claim (headbutt).

Maybe there are hundreds of cheating bastards in football, but just one of them won the WC because of it. I bet there are many France supporters among Arsenal fans.

Mama Smurf

Arsenal are easily on top after the first half hour. I don't know if Wenger's ill, but he's playing a right footer on the right wing, a left footer on the left, anf Hleb in the middle....and they've been great!

It wouldn't surprise me if they play this formation, possibly different players, next season if it keeps going this well.

Mama Smurf

Frenck said:
That was just the tip of the iceberg, I mean him calling Zidane's sister is a whore and getting the only valid answer anyone should ever give to such a claim (headbutt)

Oh please. The only answer to it? You have any idea how many insults you get on the football pitch? It's just a pathetic argument to try and take the blame of Zidane because he was such a good player. If Zidane wanted to resort to violence, he can wait until after the game, there's plenty of time to swing at someone after the whistle goes. He was retiring, it wouldn't have mattered.

I guarantee you Zidane wouldn't be being booed if he'd insulted Materazzi and Materazzi had headbutted him instead.

Maybe there are hundreds of cheating bastards in football, but just one of them won the WC because of it. I bet there are many France supporters among Arsenal fans.

People just can't face that it was Zidane's fault they lost that final, not Materazzi's. As for there being French fans, there probably are some, but not for boos like this.

Mama Smurf

The ref's being a bit card happy for a friendly. 3 yellow cards for Inter players, all for fouls on Eboue. I say fouls...I mean...it is Eboue. Each time he rolled around like his foot had actually been knocked clean off his leg. At least two of them were fouls, and one would certainly be a yellow in a competitive game, but it's just a friendly!

I think this formation would do very well for Arsenal next season:

-------------------Lehman-------------------

Sagna------Toure-------Gallas-------Clichy

Eboue----Fabregas----Gilberto----Eduardo

---------------------Hleb---------------------

------------------Van Persie-----------------

Frenck

Banned
Whatever, maybe the Inter fans are booing because he did something stupid lately. Maybe he talked shit about the club or the fans, that seems to be right up his alley.

As for the whole Zidane thing, what he did wasn't right (at least on the pitch) but Materazzi wanted that to happen and he got what he deserved for doing what he did to a football legend in his last game. Look at the footage, Zidane doesn't even react at first but Materazzi repeats his shit talking several times until he snaps. It wasn't just an outburst as they happen in almost every game where you see players or coaches say puta or f*ck, he did that to ruin his career and you can just imagine the high fives and laughing that ensued when he and his teammates congratulated each other after the match.

As I said he was known to be cheap player before and since, he even made fun of Zidane afterwards and used the incident to make himself famous.

Mama Smurf

Exactly, Materazzi got exactly what he wanted, which is why it was Zidane's stupid fault.

I think if I was having that much shit said about my sister, I'd consider the following options:

a) he doesn't even know my sister, I know she's not a whore, no one else can even hear this, it's just a hollow insult designed to provoke a reaction, I could probably piss him off most by not reacting at all

b) insult him back

c) report him after the game

d) try and hurt him in a tackle

e) take a swing at him after the game

f) headbutt him

g) murder him

Frenck

Banned
I don't want to defend what he did, my point was that Materazzi is a cheap player even his Wiki entry says so.

Wikipedia also says that he played for Everton once. Is there some kind of rivalry between Arsenal and Everton?

That could explain it.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
Mama Smurf said:
The ref's being a bit card happy for a friendly. 3 yellow cards for Inter players, all for fouls on Eboue. I say fouls...I mean...it is Eboue. Each time he rolled around like his foot had actually been knocked clean off his leg. At least two of them were fouls, and one would certainly be a yellow in a competitive game, but it's just a friendly!

I think this formation would do very well for Arsenal next season:

-------------------Lehman-------------------

Sagna------Toure-------Gallas-------Clichy

Eboue----Fabregas----Gilberto----Eduardo

---------------------Hleb---------------------

------------------Van Persie-----------------

Really? Adebayor, Rosicky? I'm not sure I like Hleb in the middle. He's never really proved to be a big goal scorer. If they were going to play a 4-4-1-1, I'd rather see Adebayor or Rosicky in there instead.

Mama Smurf

Well Wenger's never played him here. In the past couple of games though he's played there and been [/]very[/i] impressive.

Adebayor's not that good, Rosicky sure, he'd be in the mix, but I'd be looking to Van Persie and Eduardo to get on with finishing chances.

h0pper

Mama Smurf said:
Well Wenger's never played him here. In the past couple of games though he's played there and been [/]very[/i] impressive.

Adebayor's not that good, Rosicky sure, he'd be in the mix, but I'd be looking to Van Persie and Eduardo to get on with finishing chances.

If Van Persie stays fit (crosses fingers), I really think he'll score at least 20 this season.

Sure Adebayor isn't a top player right now, but I think he has the potential. He's strong and his finishing has gotten better. There were a couple of times last season where I saw him work very nicely alongside Fabregas. I think he just needs to get a bit more confidence and shoot more often.

Mama Smurf

When did his finishing get better?

He'll still play plenty of games, I just think Arsenal have better players to put out in their first team.

EDIT: Inter are somehow 1-0 up, with possibly their first attack of the second half.

You'll be shocked to find it was a high cross into the box.

h0pper

Mama Smurf said:
When did his finishing get better?

He'll still play plenty of games, I just think Arsenal have better players to put out in their first team.

EDIT: Inter are somehow 1-0 up, with possibly their first attack of the second half.

You'll be shocked to find it was a high cross into the box.

Towards the end of the season I remember him putting a few in. Most notably the one that gave us a win against Fulham in the final 10 minutes.

Wow. I really wish I could see this game.

Mama Smurf

Ok Arsenal fans, I've got good news and bad news.

You destroyed Inter, they barely touched the ball second half. Good possession, good movement, constantly making goalscoring chances. Eboue and Hleb looked very impressive in their new positions, Van Persie still has the magic touch.

The bad news is that I counted two crosses into the box from Inter all game, yet both were met by an Inter head, one went in and the other one went wide but the player should have done better as he was unmarked. Also, you had so many chances to score, yet only put away 2. I was counting the shots after the last time the stats flashed up, and Arsenal had 16 shots, 8 on target, compared to Inter's 3 shots, 1 on target.

Fowler

Mama Smurf said:
I guarantee you Zidane wouldn't be being booed if he'd insulted Materazzi and Materazzi had headbutted him instead.

People just can't face that it was Zidane's fault they lost that final, not Materazzi's. As for there being French fans, there probably are some, but not for boos like this.

I can't agree with you any more. I've tried, but I just cannot agree any more than I am.

hadareud

The Translator
by the sound of it we played really well, I'd love to see the Perse's goal - can somebody youtube it?

strange interview with Wenger about Anelka, sounds like it could be a smokescreen maybe.

Shinobi

Damn was Perse ever nasty...school was defintely in session on that goal.

I've never bought the idea that Zidane cost France the game. They outplayed Italy for most of that final and were still only level at that point. It's not like Zidane staying on would've somehow made Buffon more vunerable, since he'd already been dominant the entire afternoon.

Doesn't excuse what Zidane did mind you, but the game went to penalties anyway, and they lost by one (which Trez was unlucky on anyway, an inch lower and it bulges the net). There's no guarantee that Zidane would've scored on his spot kick.

What is fair to say is that Zidane harmed France's chances of winning. But to say it cost them is a bit assumptious. Hell if it wasn't for that snitch on the sideline, he would've gotten away with it!

Wow @ my Chicago Fire.

We beatdown Toronto today 3-0. Osorio has us playing un****ingbelievable. What an addition Blanco is proving to be. His assist on Guerrero's goal was world class (goal of the week it should be btw). Might have been even 4-0 or 5-0 if we had an actual forward in Barrett's place. Carr redeemed himself a bit today with a nice goal and even nicer assist. Probably secured 3rd spot in our forward rotation.

And next week we get Mapp, Wanchope, and Rolfe back in the lineup!!! HOLY SHIT Columbus is ****ed. We are turning things around fast.

DonCuco

Outdoor Miner said:
Wow @ my Chicago Fire.

We beatdown Toronto today 3-0. Osorio has us playing un****ingbelievable. What an addition Blanco is proving to be. His assist on Guerrero's goal was world class (goal of the week it should be btw). Might have been even 4-0 or 5-0 if we had an actual forward in Barrett's place. Carr redeemed himself a bit today with a nice goal and even nicer assist. Probably secured 3rd spot in our forward rotation.

And next week we get Mapp, Wanchope, and Rolfe back in the lineup!!! HOLY SHIT Columbus is ****ed. We are turning things around fast.

Yeah the team is coming out nicely. Blanco is a great player when he wants to be. I hope he dedicates himself and doesn't do anything stupid.

Hooker

Man, hell's freezing over. I largely agree with Blatter's new sugestion to better the game.

Every player that needs to be treated for injury, needs to stay at the sidelines for at least 5 minutes. No more falling down, crying, limping to the sideline and sprinting on the pitch right away. Now you need to wait on your 5-minute clock.

There's 2 ways to look at it. It sucks for the people really injured but fixed within those 5 minutes (especially when there's like 3 minutes left on the clock)

But there's going to be a hell less crying on the pitch.

Ronok

The 2nd day of the emirates cup was amazing!

It was actually my first chance to watch Arsenal at the emirates and the stadium is stunning.

As everyone was given tickets without an option for home and away we had a couple of Inter fans sitting around us which was nice.

First game PSG vs Valencia was a nice opener and most of us Arsenal fans were chearing on PSG as Valencia won there first game.... Right from the opening I said Valencia were going to get destroyed and honestly the score ended up flattering them somewhat..... Yup 3-0 to PSG = flattering Valencia. They were pretty poor. PSG were looking very good. Anyway, this set up a good final game as Arsenal had to win or draw 2-2(+) to get the cup.

Anyway on to the Arsenal game.

Despite the inclusion of Gibbs on the left wing and Hoyte at left back this could have been Arsenal's first team and you wouldn't really complain. It was a very good performance. Gibbs showed he definantly has some tallent but is no where near experienced enough yet. lol Hoyte definantly looks better on the right. Hleb looked very good through the middle, but, I thought he looked very good on the right before the middle of last season. I think he's just showing his normal form when without niggling injuries.

Van Persie scored an amazing goal and Hleb showed he can definantly get on the score sheets more often.

Eboue again was impressive on the wing.

Cesc still isn't back into full swing.

Ermmmmm and more I don't have time to post about now. Awesome day.

Mama Smurf

Hooker said:
Man, hell's freezing over. I largely agree with Blatter's new sugestion to better the game.

Every player that needs to be treated for injury, needs to stay at the sidelines for at least 5 minutes. No more falling down, crying, limping to the sideline and sprinting on the pitch right away. Now you need to wait on your 5-minute clock.

There's 2 ways to look at it. It sucks for the people really injured but fixed within those 5 minutes (especially when there's like 3 minutes left on the clock)

But there's going to be a hell less crying on the pitch.

I dunno, I'd be worried about players who are actually injured doing more damage because they think maybe they can run it off and don't want to make their team lose a man for 5 minutes. Just seems irresponsible.

I'd be on board if it was like 2 minutes. That's still a long time to stand on the sidelines, waiting to be allowed back on, so should discourage the fakers, but equally not so long that people who might actually be injured try to avoid it.

Hooker

I agree, 5 minutes is long, and I reckon it will be tweaked quite a bit (if approved). But I kinda welcome it actually.

Those ****s falling down, crying like someone raped their mothers with their sisters legs, getting the opponent a red/yellow card and up and dancing as soon as the ref blows his wistle to continue the game. If we can get those away, fine by me.

Also, treatment isn't going to be rushed now, as they have a minimum time set for re-entry. Hell, they can now make educated decisions, even a second oppinion.

Pull that 5 minutes down to 3 and you've got a deal :D

Aalyx

The striker Arsenal bought better be good for their sake otherwise they'll really struggle for goals. The only competent striker they have in my opinion is RVP and even he doesn't always seem to be hitting the target. (Although he has an amazing left foot)

Why Arsenal have such a finishing problem I'll never understand, it's almost like Wenger doesn't let them practice it.

The 2 minute sideline rule sounds like a good idea to me, would ensure that players that stay on the floor can't disrupt the flow of the game tactically.

Mama Smurf

I'm just picturing a situation where it's the last 3 minutes of a crucial game, the team need to hang on or they're relegated. Someone goes down with an injury, it feels bad but they know if they go off they're not coming back on this game and they'd leave their team down to 10 men when their goal is already under siege, so they stay on, get a kick in a tackle and damage it even worst and miss half of the next season.

As annoying as the people rolling around on the floor are...if it comes down to putting up with them or risking injuries, I'm gonna have to plump for the former.

What about giving the referee discretion to keep a treated player off the pitch for up to 5 minutes. So if he genuinally thinks there was a problem, he can bring them straight back on, if he's not sure he leaves them a couple of minutes, if he knows the guy was just faking it he can go up to the full 5.

It has its own problems, just give refs another reason to be hated, but I'd prefer it to mandatory time.

Ronok

Having a player sidelined for 2 mins will only make players time waste more during this interval. Not really going to speed the game up anymore. :-/

Mama Smurf

And what if two players from the same team clash heads and both get treatment? That's obviously not fake, and they're putting their team down to 9 men for 5 minutes? There are just too many flaws.

nitewulf

god, i love van persie. no i mean, really. i want to have sex with him.
anyway, i dont know if i would want him to be the lone striker (according to mama's formation), but i have always been very impressed by hleb, and would like to see him more.

Shinobi

Outdoor Miner said:
Wow @ my Chicago Fire.

Bite me...

Shinobi

Outdoor Miner said:
Payback for the seat cushions!

:lol

With Beckham likely (and I use that word loosely) to make his league debut at BMO Field next Sunday, I'm now starting the serious search of procuring a ticket without completely going broke. I entered one contest that I found out about on blind luck, and I'm hitting every source from StubHub to Craigslist. I don't want to spend more then 150 bucks...I figure even if Beckham doesn't play, I could live with spending that much coin. But it'd be harder to live with spending 200 bucks or more to see two of the five worst teams in the league. :lol Anyway, we'll see how things go...I'll probably go to the stadium regardless just to soak up the atmosphere, and I could probably get a "bargain" price on a ticket if I wait 20 minutes after kickoff.

Reports out of Holland indicating that Drenthe will move to Real Madrid for 13m.

Let's hope it's true and they can finally close out the deal with him and Robben.

I got to watch the Arsenal match on Setanta today - great game! Van Persie's move before the finish was awesome. Too bad they didn't slow it down enough on Sky to where I could actually tell what he did there. Hleb plays well through the middle behind the striker(s). Eboue looked dominant on the wing barring some of his antics after getting fouled. It'll be interesting to see what happens if Eboue, Walcott, and a few others (Gibbs? Clichy? Eduardo?) get more time on the wings because it leaves some serious congestion in the middle of the pitch if you have Fabregas and Gilberto already penciled in (they have to play), and Denilson, Diaby, Hleb, and Rosicky also fighting for time in the middle. Not a lot of room there...

Fowler

Mama Smurf said:
I'm just picturing a situation where it's the last 3 minutes of a crucial game, the team need to hang on or they're relegated. Someone goes down with an injury, it feels bad but they know if they go off they're not coming back on this game and they'd leave their team down to 10 men when their goal is already under siege, so they stay on, get a kick in a tackle and damage it even worst and miss half of the next season.

As annoying as the people rolling around on the floor are...if it comes down to putting up with them or risking injuries, I'm gonna have to plump for the former.

What about giving the referee discretion to keep a treated player off the pitch for up to 5 minutes. So if he genuinally thinks there was a problem, he can bring them straight back on, if he's not sure he leaves them a couple of minutes, if he knows the guy was just faking it he can go up to the full 5.

It has its own problems, just give refs another reason to be hated, but I'd prefer it to mandatory time.

Well, if it's the last three minutes and someone is genuinely injured -- sub him off! The time penalty shouldn't apply if you make a substitution to take out an injured player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom