• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GTA: Episodes/Ballad of Gay Tony Thread of Extreme Base Jumping.

Bizzyb

Banned
Aesius said:
Just finished this today. I was pretty underwhelmed, to be honest. I thought TLAD was amazing, but this one seemed uninspired. Luis had no personality, and Tony was a Ken Rosenberg rip-off.

In terms of gameplay, it probably didn't help that I spent most of March/half of April playing Just Cause 2. If JC2 is like swimming in beautiful Panuan waters, then GTA4 and Euphoria is like wading through fucking molasses. GTA's story, attention to detail, city design, etc, all blow JC2 out of the water, but in terms of fun factor, it's not even close.

Flying helicopters is needlessly hard as fuck, and the controls got me killed so many times I lost count. The mission in Tony's club with the Russian mobsters pouring in? Holy shit - I almost broke my controller I was so pissed off. The auto aim is broken, the regular aim is broken, even trying to shoot someone two feet in front of you is broken.

Not to mention the frustration that comes with jacking a car and one lone policeman completely out of sight seeing you, thus making it necessary to drive around for a couple of minutes just to get the fucking star to go away. And taxis not stopping for you, having to phone Armando just to get more body armor/a parachute - AGH.

I loved GTA4 and TLAD, but I honestly feel like JC2 has completely soured me on "realistic" open-world games like this. I hope RDR will put the Euphoria engine to much better use, and that Rockstar firmly decides whether GTA5 will be over the top or realistic, because apparently they can't pull off both.

They are two different types of Games.

JC2 is more arcade-y action while GTIV is more simulation action.
I like both games for what the do differently and better.

I love playing GTA for the story, characters and realism of how alive the cities and their inhabitants feel

JC2 I love playing because of how open free, and explosive the world is.

If I only had to pick one though it would probably be The Ballad of Gay tony. I love cruising around the city listening to Vice FM and doing the story missions.

Aesius said:
Just finished this today. I was pretty underwhelmed, to be honest. I thought TLAD was amazing, but this one seemed uninspired. Luis had no personality, and Tony was a Ken Rosenberg rip-off.

In terms of gameplay, it probably didn't help that I spent most of March/half of April playing Just Cause 2. If JC2 is like swimming in beautiful Panuan waters, then GTA4 and Euphoria is like wading through fucking molasses. GTA's story, attention to detail, city design, etc, all blow JC2 out of the water, but in terms of fun factor, it's not even close.

Flying helicopters is needlessly hard as fuck, and the controls got me killed so many times I lost count. The mission in Tony's club with the Russian mobsters pouring in? Holy shit - I almost broke my controller I was so pissed off. The auto aim is broken, the regular aim is broken, even trying to shoot someone two feet in front of you is broken.

Not to mention the frustration that comes with jacking a car and one lone policeman completely out of sight seeing you, thus making it necessary to drive around for a couple of minutes just to get the fucking star to go away. And taxis not stopping for you, having to phone Armando just to get more body armor/a parachute - AGH.

I loved GTA4 and TLAD, but I honestly feel like JC2 has completely soured me on "realistic" open-world games like this. I hope RDR will put the Euphoria engine to much better use, and that Rockstar firmly decides whether GTA5 will be over the top or realistic, because apparently they can't pull off both.
I think your controller is broken.

Anyway, this small talk about the game, makes me wanna play again. I guess it's time for another Gay Tony playthrough.:D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
StickyFingers said:
I think your controller is broken.

Anyway, this small talk about the game, makes me wanna play again. I guess it's time for another Gay Tony playthrough.:D

I think the best thing about Gay Tony are the achievements for replaying the missions. I'm going for the 80% achievement now and it's do-able, although I feel the 100% one may be pushing it too far. Not that it's going to stop me trying, mind! Such a great game, I think I've played all the GTA4 games now for in excess of 200 hours and I still love it.

If you consider the trilogy as one big game (as I do) it's truely one of the best games of this gen, fuck the haters.

Jedeye Sniv said:
I think the best thing about Gay Tony are the achievements for replaying the missions. I'm going for the 80% achievement now and it's do-able, although I feel the 100% one may be pushing it too far. Not that it's going to stop me trying, mind! Such a great game, I think I've played all the GTA4 games now for in excess of 200 hours and I still love it.

If you consider the trilogy as one big game (as I do) it's truely one of the best games of this gen, fuck the haters.
I loved the challenge for getting a 100% on the missions. The best thing is is you don´t have to do them in one go.

And yes, I do consider them a trilogy, since the episodes ended the story where the original has started with.

It´s all about the blingbling...

gdt

Just started this game, digging it alot.

Can someone give me tips for base-jumping? I get nowhere near the checkpoints :/. I must be doing something wrong...

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Still need to finish this. I still remember the amount of time wasted in order to start a particular mission pissing me off. Had to get three different phone calls, drive to middle park (or whatever the fake central park is called) and drive back to a night club just to get to the actual combat portion.

If they do one thing different in the next full fledged GTA, just make circumstances where I can't die prior to the "action" of a mission be cut scenes. It's too easy to get distracted during the point A to point B driving and end up just blowing shit up instead of progressing in the game. :lol

Goldrusher

gdt5016 said:
Can someone give me tips for base-jumping? I get nowhere near the checkpoints :/. I must be doing something wrong...
dive towards target -> open parachute -> glide

Zigzag or spiral if you have to lose altitude.

gdt

Just finished this, fucking awesome. Great end to the GTA IV trilogy.

Final mission was fuck awesome.

Also nice to see this game closed out the diamonds/Ray Bulgarin storylines.

Give me GTAwhatever, Rockstar!

Edit: Final time was 15:37, pretty meaty.

Top Bottom