• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Heavenly Sword Thread - Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads

ex0du5

Banned
Yep I'll be getting this game. Can't believe I'm getting this over Metroid Prime 3 :lol. Maybe I'll decide otherwise. Or maybe I'll rent it first. I just think it would be awesome to own this, since it seems like it's going to be an incredibly unique and cinematic experience.

Elios83

Hey XHitoshuraX... don't you think there's something strange in the cover you posted?:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

untitled.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That guy who was playing HS and got flamed in the thread he created (Mesijs I think?), should just post his impressions here. I'm not bumping the abomination that thread has become, but I'd like to ask him how difficult is the Hard (Hell) difficulty mode. That's something none of the reviews I've read have even touched upon, and I'm thinking, if it's sufficiently more difficult (but not annoyingly so), that alone could make the playthrough last longer.

tanod said:
OP looks great. :D

I think that when my wife or my best friend comes over to see both Heavenly Sword and Lair playing on the HDTV, their jaws are gonna drop.
Wives love HS, it's confirmed. I know mine can't wait for the game, she actually might be more hyped for it than I am, if it's possible :-D

She even commented on how Nariko doesn't have the typical videogame bimbo thing about her, and appears to have depth and gravity as a character. I have to say I completely agree, and there must have been a lot of thought poured into her character to accomplish something like that, from what is, after all, a skimpily dressed girl.

Instead of being "Hey look at me, I'm a hot looking attention whore who can do crazy shit", like it happens in 99.9% of games with female leads, they've developed a character that you can have respect for, and that just happens to look pretty as well.

Raist

Banned
Well...

HS will be released in two weeks.

So let's sum this up.

You can't post in an old thread (sp0rsk am cry)
You can't make a new thread just for your impressions : trolls am come "stop posting new crap threads, just post in an old one lulz, HS sucks anyways lolz 6 hours campaign"
You can't make an official thread : "b-b-b-b-b-but we said no more than 1 week before release, why not for Halo 3, mods am biased"

So what to do ? :p

Elios83 said:
People who are in action games can finish it in 6-8 hours.
IIRC, that is about how long it took me to beat GoW2, and I didn't feel ripped off then, so that sounds pretty good. Let us hope that it has a high replay value.

Arthursw1

Elios83 said:
Hey XHitoshuraX... don't you think there's something strange in the cover you posted?:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

untitled.jpg

i know this cover = win :lol better than the official, i bet if they use this cover sales would be + 1M :D

tanod

when is my burrito
Marconelly said:
She even commented on how Nariko doesn't have the typical videogame bimbo thing about her, and appears to have depth and gravity as a character.

My wife said that too but she also commented that she wished she had Nariko's ass. :lol

Son of Godzilla said:
So how come this hasn't been locked yet?

Well..the Metroid 3 thread was started two weeks before its release...

At least one MOD has been through this thread though, he changed the title to official for me lol

glad to see some good scores and reviews, I caught a few AWFUL ones and thought this game was getting panned accross the board. Its looking more and more like I can't pick up all 4-5 the games I want to in the next month, and I think HS is inching above Lair on my list. Honestly though, I don't want to pay 60 bux for a game I may finish in 8 hours. Still likely to pick it up soon.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The reviews are certainly far from bad so far, but the game doesn't seem to be everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I think it's exactly what I was hoping it would be, but I think the game would be received better in general if it just was longer (but longer in the sense that there's more different looking levels and such, not longer because they just throw 2x as many enemies at you, of course)

Still, I'm curious to hear how much Hard difficulty adds to the longevity of the game, or if it just becomes frustrating (like I have to admit GoW games do for me on harder difficulties)

From playing the demo I can tell this game is not as good as hoped. I was hoping for God of War quality, but it is just not there.

30FPS just no good anymore for this kind of games, after Ninja Gaiden, God of War, HS is no where close.

I will wait for my NJ2 and GOW3.

Well its not looking so good folks lol

I finished the OP but gaf wont let me update it. When I go to edit the post, the message space is blank and it wont let me preview or save anything..

I'll try again when I'm at home but...

first try am fail :(

What I want to know is what are the flaws? All of the reviews I've read don't pinpoint specific flaws besides "the game is too short" so I want to know if there are actual problems with the gameplay itself. Length isn't a problem with me at all unless the pacing the terrible.

tribal24

Banned
Systems_id said:
What I want to know is what are the flaws? All of the reviews I've read don't pinpoint specific flaws besides "the game is too short" so I want to know if there are actual problems with the gameplay itself. Length isn't a problem with me at all unless the pacing the terrible.

its basically to short its a love it or hate it type game

OK, well I figured out the issue....my post was too long! >.<

Anyway this is essentially the FINAL OP, so unless people really want a videos section, its done!

Elios83

Lettuce said:
What on earth is going on with the reviews??? some are giving it good scores then others not so good scores

Quite simple.
Those who give a lot of credit to the artistic and dramatic direction in a game are enthusiastic and are giving the game high scores ( 8s and 9s).
Those who look at the length as an issue and think the gameplay is not perfectly nailed are giving it decent scores (7s).
Overall I believe it's great game,not a masterpiece in all its elements but it's the first project from this developer with a big budget and I believe they have achieved a great result. I believe the game will have a lot of success among the public because its characters and artstyle really catch the attention.

That guy who was playing HS and got flamed in the thread he created (Mesijs I think?), should just post his impressions here. I'm not bumping the abomination that thread has become, but I'd like to ask him how difficult is the Hard (Hell) difficulty mode. That's something none of the reviews I've read have even touched upon, and I'm thinking, if it's sufficiently more difficult (but not annoyingly so), that alone could make the playthrough last longer.

Edge's review said that the game was too easy on Hell Difficulty, you could complete the game using only a few combos over and over again and there was no requirement or motivation to learn the combat system to a deep extent.

tanod said:
1UP's review is up. It's by Matt Leone. After reading it, insta-buy for me confirmed.

BTW, it says 10 hours. No mention of Hell difficulty again. Of course, it's the same as the lead review in EGM so 8.0 is the score.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3162437
Does hell difficulty add something thing special. I've seen several people mention that reviews dont talk about Hell difficulty, but I'm not sure I see why they need to.

tanod

when is my burrito
BobTheFork said:
Does hell difficulty add something thing special. I've seen several people mention that reviews dont talk about Hell difficulty, but I'm not sure I see why they need to.

Well, it seems that a common complaint is that the AI isn't that tough. Hell difficulty may have a hand in alleviating that.

The reason why nobody mentions it in reviews may be because Ninja Theory may have been working on it still when the review builds went out and not included it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pretty nice writeup on 1up indeed. Is it really possible that of all bigger US media, IGN will score HS the lowest? That just seems... wrong. :-D

RubberJohnny said:
Edge's review said that the game was too easy on Hell Difficulty, you could complete the game using only a few combos over and over again and there was no requirement or motivation to learn the combat system to a deep extent.
That's a fair complaint, but one you can apply to just about any game of it's kind, even NG, famed for it's combat, has a "magic" combo (based on flying swallow) that you can use and abuse with no penalty. I always chose not to do that kind of thing in games, because even though you're "proving" that the game has some kind of exploit, you're also limiting your own enjoyment.

Elios83 said:
Quite simple.
Those who give a lot of credit to the artistic and dramatic direction in a game are enthusiastic and are giving the game high scores ( 8s and 9s).
Those who look at the length as an issue and think the gameplay is not perfectly nailed are giving it decent scores (7s).
Overall I believe it's great game,not a masterpiece in all its elements but it's the first project from this developer with a big budget and I believe they have achieved a great result. I believe the game will have a lot of success among the public because its characters and artstyle really catch the attention.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. I certainly hope it does well in sales, I think these guys have really good vision and will be able to deliver even more if they keep being funded like they've been for HS.

Marconelly said:
Pretty nice writeup on 1up indeed. Is it really possible that of all bigger US media, IGN will score HS the lowest? That just seems... wrong. :-D

That's a fair complaint, but one you can apply to just about any game of it's kind, even NG, famed for it's combat, has a "magic" combo (based on flying swallow) that you can use and abuse with no penalty.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I certainly hope it does well in sales, I think these guys have really good vision and will be able to deliver even more if they keep being funded like they've been for HS.

Yeah IGN is ALL over the place with reviews I swear.

And I agree with what Doc Evils said...this game will be GREAT...for PS3 owners. This just isn't a game that has that sort of market envy appeal. I see it selling sort of like ICO did...to be honest.

Elios83

XHitoshuraX said:
Yeah IGN is ALL over the place with reviews I swear.

And I agree with what Doc Evils said...this game will be GREAT...for PS3 owners. This just isn't a game that has that sort of market envy appeal. I see it selling sort of like ICO did...to be honest.

IMO you're wrong, this has nothing do to with Ico, it's clearly designed to catch the attention,to sell and move systems. We'll see in September though ;)

Elios83 said:
IMO you're wrong, this has nothing do to with Ico, it's clearly designed to catch the attention,to sell and move systems. We'll see in September though ;)

Well yeah, I didn't mean to say that it was marketed as such (though if more people had played Ico the world would be a better place). I just dont see it selling THAT well. Even more so with the 400,000 "HS = am failz" posts >.<

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
XHitoshuraX said:
I see it selling sort of like ICO did...to be honest.
I really, really hope it does better, because that's probably the only way we'll see next game from these guys with this kind of budget. I also do think it will do a lot better.

Ico was amazing, but also a very particular game, with pretty much zero hype. It also came out at around the same time as MGS2, GT3 and GTA3 which completely overshadowed it. Not to forget, ico didn't have *any* TV ads or much of any other advertising actually.

HS has a lot more exposure and awareness, and none of the competition of that caliber on PS3 in September. I also think it's simply a lot more eye catching and marketable to an average person than Ico was.

Elios83

XHitoshuraX said:
Well yeah, I didn't mean to say that it was marketed as such (though if more people had played Ico the world would be a better place). I just dont see it selling THAT well. Even more so with the 400,000 "HS = am failz" posts >.<

Posts made on message boards mainly by people who don't even own a PS3 just to troll?:lol :lol :lol
Completely irrelevant. Truth is the commercial success of game is made at 90% by the hype built during the months (or even years) before the release and clever marketing.
Games like Killzone and The Getaway are marketing masterpieces, barely decent games turned into multimillion sellers by hyperbolic previews and marketing.
And what should we say about the shitty games (with tons of mediocre reviews) which periodically top all the charts because they have a license behind them?

PistolGrip said:
very nice thread

Thank you! My first official thread so I wanted to do it right....gotta get experience under my belt before I start my monster Silent Hill V thread....in like a year >.<

(And you have tanod's avatar btw :D )

Yeah I suppose your right. Its just amazing to me how people are all out ATTACKING this game.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
XHitoshuraX said:
Thank you! My first official thread so I wanted to do it right....gotta get experience under my belt before I start my monster Silent Hill V thread....in like a year >.<

(And you have tanod's avatar btw :D )

Yeah I suppose your right. Its just amazing to me how people are all out ATTACKING this game.
its Kittonwy's actually we are protesting for a wrongful ban and a display that power does corrupt even in Gaf.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The only mistake that I can see there is this:

Heavenly Sword Started life as an XBOX game that was eventually shifted onto the PS3.

That's not really true. The engine developers of this game post at Beyond3D, and I remember reading there some details of evolution of their engine. I know for sure they've said it was never intended to be a last gen hardware game (Xbox or otherwise), and it was developed with next gen in mind from the beginning - on a PC with Ati Radeon 9800, which allowed for fixed-point precision HDR, to be moved on to some other, better (but still old in comparison to PS3 GPU) graphics card that allowed floating point HDR, and eventually to PS3.

ManaByte

Marconelly said:

That's not really true. The engine developers of this game post at Beyond3D, and I remember reading there some details of evolution of their engine. I know for sure they've said it was never intended to be a last gen hardware game (Xbox or otherwise), and it was developed with next gen in mind from the beginning - on a PC with Ati Radeon 9800, which allowed for fixed-point precision HDR, to be moved on to some other, better (but still old in comparison to PS3 GPU) graphics card that allowed floating point HDR, and eventually to PS3.

Video of the Xbox concept back when they were called Just Add Monsters:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/microsoft/heavenly-sword-from-xbox-to-ps3-284674.php

Shane Kim at MS has also mentioned in interviews that they passed on the game in the past.

Marconelly said:

Hmmm thats interesting and I bet its true too...but did you watch the trailer I posted below that? It clearly was once an Xbox game. I appreciate the feedback and if you can link that to something I would love to put it in the OP.

Top Bottom