• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Wii) Discussion Thread of "I'm back, bitches!"

AniHawk

Hero of Legend said:
I just beat the story days ago! :D

Sigh, would a TV ad have been so hard BN? :(

Any ideas of the closest we have to worldwide totals for the game?

Less than 100k. Without shipments (so sell-through), less than 60k. And I'm really giving Europe a lot of credit here.

I think this is the end of Klonoa as far as retail console releases go.

AniHawk said:
Less than 100k. Without shipments (so sell-through), less than 60k. And I'm really giving Europe a lot of credit here.

I think this is the end of Klonoa as far as retail console releases go.

How old is the latest info you have from each region? Very recent?

I've been meaning to pick this up, got a Best Buy giftcard for Christmas and I'm considering this.

I played the first when I was young, rented it and never got far. Any negatives about this version over the original?

AniHawk

Hero of Legend said:
How old is the latest info you have from each region? Very recent?

Well if it got past 20k in Japan, then that puts it equal with the States. Europe is complete guesswork. It bombed in Japan right out of the gates though. Didn't do more than a thousand or so the first week and I haven't heard about it since. I really doubt it's equal to US sales.

AniHawk

MvmntInGrn said:
Any negatives about this version over the original?

The only one I heard is that the cutscenes lack the charm of the FMV originals. I can see what they mean, since I only played this for the story myself.

AniHawk said:
The only one I heard is that the cutscenes lack the charm of the FMV originals. I can see what they mean, since I only played this for the story myself.
Thanks, I'll probably pick it up for Wii (didn't check the prices for the original before, a bit expensive). I checked out the opening for both and the original FMV is really beautiful, I may end up just checking those out separately if possible.

OnPoint

I'm typically a pretty big fan of in-game cutscenes, so I didn't have any problem with the switchup in the Wii version. To each their own, I guess. But the important part is that the platforming is still amazing.

So I ordered the game, came in yesterday, beat it today. Nice game to finish out 09. :D

I really enjoyed the blown-up enemy mechanic. Simple at first but they managed to get a lot of variety out of it. Being able to interact with items in front of and behind the main path and having the path move around in 3D space were pretty fantastic too, I'd like to see that in more games. Makes the game feel less restrictive than I sometimes find side-scrolling games.

In general the enemies don't put up any challenge(though I don't' feel they were exactly meant to), but I did find some spots a bit tricky platforming-wise. Environments looked great, especially the few with water. Story was cute, but I actually found the English VA more annoying than the Phantomile one and changed to it after a few levels. It is a bit short, but that didn't bother me. One of the few games this year I think I may go back and try to complete more of (I believe a Time Attack mode unlocked?).

I ended up playing with the Gamecube controller at first, but changed to the Horizontal Wii Remote after the first 2 areas. First time I have played much of any game with just the Wii Remote, and I really liked it.

Ordered the second as soon as I finished. Can't wait to play it.

AniHawk said:
Klonoa 2's pretty awesome. Did you unlock the extra level in Klonoa?
Don't recall, I remember seeing
a Constume change, reverse mode, time attack, and Mirror Mode.
But not another level, how do I get it?

MvmntInGrn said:
Don't recall, I remember seeing a
Constume change, reverse mode, time attack, and Mirror Mode
. But not another level, how do I get it?

Check to see if you have "Extra Vision" I think it's called.

Did you collect all of those symbol pieces? I did before I beat the story.

Hero of Legend said:
Check to see if you have "Extra Vision" I think it's called.

Did you collect all of those symbol pieces? I did before I beat the story.
Just checked, its there. Looks like I have one more level left. Guess I rushed through the unlocked extras.

Glad we can help. :)

A word of caution, I suppose those unlockables are spoilers, just use the spoiler code just in case, that code is [spoiler0] [/spoiler0] remove the "0".

I'll edit my quote of yours to start. :)

Speaking of, there's one more thing you should have unlocked:
the Character Model Viewer! (don't remember the name) Awesome thing to have!

AniHawk said:
...You might be there for a while.
Yea that was tricky :lol Didn't even try getting any gems.
Hero of Legend said:
Glad we can help. :)

A word of caution, I suppose those unlockables are spoilers, just use the spoiler code just in case, that code is [spoiler0] [/spoiler0] remove the "0".

I'll edit my quote of yours to start. :)

Speaking of, there's one more thing you should have unlocked:
the Character Model Viewer! (don't remember the name) Awesome thing to have!
Sorry it took me so long to edit!
EDIT:
Every game should have a music player.

bridegur

I started playing this again after a small break to beat GoW 2, and I still think it at least ties, if not surpasses, NSMB as the best 2D platformer on the Wii. Its use of 3D actually makes sense as it helps in creating interesting levels, which is a lot more than NSMB can say for itself. I just beat Vision 4-2-- what a fantastic game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I got this for Christmas and having never played the game before want to hear which controller people who played this game think is best.

Man God said:
So I got this for Christmas and having never played the game before want to hear which controller people who played this game think is best.

Wiimote sideways, it's the simplest. But choose whatever YOU think is the most comfortable. :)

What BN should've done as a TV ad at all would've been to show why people loved 2D platforming with Mario and Kirby games since this really does fit with both. I mean it's colorful, it's cute, it's got a good story, it's simple, what is not to like if you love Mario and/or just Kirby?

Although it's always worth bringing more attention to this wonderful game, my bump has more to do with the sequel (PS2).

Anybody played it? Is it worth the time if I quite enjoyed the original?

SabinFigaro said:
Although it's always worth bringing more attention to this wonderful game, my bump has more to do with the sequel (PS2).

I find the sequel to be a much better, more realized game. It also STILL looks good despite its age.

SonComet

hikarutilmitt said:
I find the sequel to be a much better, more realized game. It also STILL looks good despite its age.
The sequel was much much better imo as well. I was actually surprised by how much I hated this game after loving Klonoa 2 so much. The sonic inspired voice acting didn't help things either.

I just started the sequel, and the art direction and music almost blow the original out of the water, I'm extremely impressed, and am stoked at how beautiful it can look if remade on the Wii as well.

Helps that Go Shina worked on the soundtrack this time, I loved her work in Mr. Driller W/Drill Land! :D

Hero of Legend said:
I just started the sequel, and the art direction and music almost blow the original out of the water, I'm extremely impressed, and am stoked at how beautiful it can look if remade on the Wii as well.

Helps that Go Shina worked on the soundtrack this time, I loved her work in Mr. Driller W/Drill Land! :D
You haven't seen anything yet, the art direction and atmosphere in the second half of Klonoa 2 were absolutely mindblowing :D

nincompoop said:
You haven't seen anything yet, the art direction and atmosphere in the second half of Klonoa 2 were absolutely mindblowing :D

:D

Also, I seriously must have the only copy I've ever seen in Toronto, EBGames doesn't list it, I only found it at GameRama, a supposedly one-off store as far as I know.

Got it for $25 even though it was priced at $30 IIRC, they reduced it for me due to no manual, and gave me a free disc clean too (which is $5)! :D

The sleeve is in mint condition, I of course swapped cases with a cheapo PS2 game I had brand-new.

Works just fine!

GhaleonQ

SabinFigaro said:

It's my favorite platformer of the decade. I bet others wouldn't go that far, though. The gameplay itself is just as excellent as Door To Phantomile and Moonlight Museum (better than Legend Of The Star Medal, worse than Empire Of Dreams and Dream Champ Tournament), but the world, level design, music, and voice acting push the charm to 11. As charming as every Klonoa game is, Klonoa: Lunatea's Veil alone justifies modern Namco's style. It's hard to explain. Just don't skip any cutscenes and really listen to the gibberish. It's, believe or not, well-acted.

SabinFigaro said:

Personally, I prefer the sequel to the original. Klonoa 1 takes a while to ease you in to the game's mechanics before throwing anything even remotely complex/challenging at you, where as Klonoa 2 seems to assume that you have some knowledge of the prequel and is better for it. When both games are at their peaks (
Moon Kingdom
and
Hyuponia
respectively), there's virtually nothing to call between them, but I'd say Klonoa 2 is more consistently enjoyable throughout, where as Klonoa 1 takes a while to build up to the more interesting stuff.

Both are absolutely fantastic games, however.

ismaboof

I bought this with my wii months ago for $10 and just started playing it today. I forgot how amazing Klonoa is. Klonoa 2 still edges this one slightly, but this game is no slouch. Why does NA hate Klonoa so much?

ismaboof said:
I bought this with my wii months ago for $10 and just started playing it today. I forgot how amazing Klonoa is. Klonoa 2 still edges this one slightly, but this game is no slouch. Why does NA hate Klonoa so much?
I liked the themes and level design better in Klonoa, but Klonoa 2 is no slouch. I wish this game had succeeded wildly and the Wii had gotten a proper sequel (hell, even a remake of 2 using the same engine would have been great), but alas it was not meant to be. Iirc it's not just NA where this bombed either, unfortunately. I think Konami's mistake was using a remake as a test for whether there was an audience, when the Wii crowd was already inundated with ports, remakes, and spin-offs, and desperately wishing for an original iteration from a good series. Tecmo made the same blunder with Rygar, which also could have been amazing if they carried the series forward rather than retreading old ground.

OnPoint

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I liked the themes and level design better in Klonoa, but Klonoa 2 is no slouch. I wish this game had succeeded wildly and the Wii had gotten a proper sequel (hell, even a remake of 2 using the same engine would have been great), but alas it was not meant to be. Iirc it's not just NA where this bombed either, unfortunately. I think Konami's mistake was using a remake as a test for whether there was an audience, when the Wii crowd was already inundated with ports, remakes, and spin-offs, and desperately wishing for an original iteration from a good series. Tecmo made the same blunder with Rygar, which also could have been amazing if they carried the series forward rather than retreading old ground.

Konami? You using the meme here? I thought this was a Bandai-Namco game.

Weird bump by the way. Anyone who hasn't played this yet definitely should. It's got to be cheap these days.

bridegur

Started replaying this, and I'm still amazed at how vibrant it is. Easily one of the best games on the Wii. Hopefully we'll see another Klonoa on the 3DS or Wii U.

HYDE

Banned
If I own the original Klonoa for PS1 and am happy with the presentation I see, is there any reason I absolutely need to double dip for this version?

Poyunch

HYDE said:
If I own the original Klonoa for PS1 and am happy with the presentation I see, is there any reason I absolutely need to double dip for this version?
Terrible voice casting? But it's also a really pretty game on the Wii even if you're happy with PSX graphics.

I never did end up buying the game. :(

I saw this at EB Games, and since numerous quality third party Wii games essentially become rare after a short time, I decided to grab it. Plus, I love me some Klonoa. Not going to play it just yet but it's nice to have it on the horizon.

i just finished this game for the first time ever (never played the PS1 version)

and DAMN i am soooo sad now, people warned me about the ending but... :(((((

oh well what a nice game though, highly recommended!

oh and i went for ALL the spirts/things you can collect during a level, like 6 in each level and i got em ALL except for 1 which involved a certain uber hard jump sequence in mid air with multiple enemies so i said fuck it and went on to beat the game... bummer

Top Bottom