• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

mattso

crispyben said:
It seems these glitches are caused by laggy conections, which forces the game to extrapolate on the positions of the player, then to heavily correct once it receives actual data, hence the severe warping, the weird ranking or the phantom victory.
I've seen that happen several times.

Or less severe I'll see my red shell hover behind the enemy for a moment.. then hit them.

jepense

Davidion said:
I can't beat some of the expert ghosts, I just can't. Maybe I've a stricter limit of how much effort and frustration I'm willing to pour into it but it is what it is.
Some of them are a real pain while others are amazingly easy. I think I had most trouble in Bowser's Castle where I spent several hours, always hitting something on the last lap.

mattso said:
Or less severe I'll see my red shell hover behind the enemy for a moment.. then hit them.
I rarely see warping, but this is very common. I guess the game checks first with the player that gets hit that the shell really connects before registering the hit. Sometimes also banana peels appear a bit behind the drivers who chuck them, which makes driving behind someone a bit challenging.

As for the AI - sure it's rubberband, but I don't think it cheats too much. Occasionally you will get pummeled by items galore, but now that I know the courses and drive pretty well, I win most of the time also in mirror class despite all the blue shells etc.

Teknoman

There still nightly GAF games going on? I havent been on Mario Kart in about a week. Trying to beat some of my close to finished backlog games.

Volcynika

Teknoman said:
There still nightly GAF games going on? I havent been on Mario Kart in about a week. Trying to beat some of my close to finished backlog games.

Ruffles is stuck in FFXII and anime, but others are available! I'm free for the most part here and there.

Working on my backlog as well though D:

TiVo

Who are the sadistic bastards that keep picking Rainbow Road? They must love torture because I never see them finish first or second.

I always pick Luigi Circuit. Easy as pie but add 11 more players and you will be tearing you hair out.

Also found a shortcut/trick on Rainbow Road. Know those dough nut hole thingys with the blue stunt ramps? Just hit the left first one and stay straight don't do a stunt and you will go over both of them on the left side and also avoid that hairpin turn and the end of them.

Cheez-It

TiVo said:
I always pick Luigi Circuit. Easy as pie but add 11 more players and you will be tearing you hair out.

I fking hate this course, Mario Circuit 3, and any other very short courses where items get ridiculous. Rawr!

desh

Cheez-It said:
I fking hate this course, Mario Circuit 3, and any other very short courses where items get ridiculous. Rawr!

Oh man, I love SNES mario circuit 3. I almost never lose this one. Yes, it is short, but there are a lot of sharp turns that will separate the good from the bad. Luigi Circuit, on the other hand, is both short and has only easy turns, so it makes it difficult to separate from the pack.

Threi

notag
Teknoman said:
get in #gaf_wfc and ask for a game.

I might be able to get in a game tonight if i don't feel like improving my SSBB Diddy.

I have to say that more games need to incorporate a tournament style system like this into their games. Keeps things fresh.

Wizpig

Wow @ new Arena.
I mean, they actually did ORIGINAL content and put it in the dvd before the game shipped, just for these events.
That's cool.

Teknoman

Damn I wonder what other surprises are in the game. I never expected a boss battle.

EDIT: Searching youtube for the boss battle music also brought up a wtf moment:

The Blue Falcon is actually a kart in game?! Crap I really need to start unlocking more stuff

nli10

DoctorWho said:
I have to say that more games need to incorporate a tournament style system like this into their games. Keeps things fresh.

I agree - if MK had more stat tracking it'd be untouchable.

Be great if these little things (more enemies on track, bosses) were options in the game in some way after the competition, but unlikely.

Wizpig

slaughterking said:
My new record is 14.9 seconds. I don't think I can improve on that, though. :I
What the shit.

Also: is the Boss battle music from some other Nintendo game?
I don't recognize it...

Maybe not. :p

There is no Wii game that randomly fills your limited storage space with game data.
Plus someone already dicovered the boss battle theme being on the game disc.

slaughterking said:
Maybe not. :p

There is no Wii game that randomly fills your limited storage space with game data.
Plus someone already dicovered the boss battle theme being on the game disc.

oh ok thats lame them...

Wizpig

Starchasing said:
oh ok thats lame them...
How so?
It's impossible for the Wii to download all those things, it hasn't even got an HD. :s
It's like Professor Layton on the DS, you don't actually DOWNLOAD new puzzle, you UNLOCK them with the WiFi.

Wizpig said:
How so?
It's impossible for the Wii to download all those things, it hasn't even got an HD. :s
It's like Professor Layton on the DS, you don't actually DOWNLOAD new puzzle, you UNLOCK them with the WiFi.
Surely it would be possible, if FF:CC MLAK is <43MB, then a small platform, one enemy, some music and a bit of code would surely be ~4-5MB of data. Yeah, it's already on the disc, but it surely wouldn't be impossible for future Wii games.

But I think they could still create new challenges by shifting the existing stuff around. (If such functionality is already implemented in the game.)

Picross DS for example has real downloadable levels (although they only consist of some parameters and not new graphics)

As long as this stuff is free, I don't see anything lame about it.

swerve

It's perfectly possible for developers to leave an area of reserved memory (ESPECIALLY considering the Mario Kart Channel exists) for scripts to be downloaded into. These scripts could be used to re-organise current stages, apply new rules, and so on.

For example, the 'race through ten gates' stage doesn't need to store any new assets, it only needs to know where to put the assets, which music to play, which texture sets to use, and so on. So they *could* have done it that way.

The fact that they *didn't* doesn't bother me in the slightest - I'm loving the weekly/bi-weekly new challenges and I'd certainly not enjoy them in the same way if they were all exposed at first and I could just run through them all and then get bored.

I'm at 34' 398 and I see no chance that I'll be getting it any lower than that this week :(

fernoca

Exactly, all the stuff is on the disc..
Is like a..randomizer..
Basically, the tournament is a little code..probably 2-5kb of size, that loads everything..
Pretty much like how the Custom Stages in Brawls are handled..each stage is like 1-2kb..is not like you actually save the entire stage plus song on the system/SD Card, you just save basically the code to let the system know what do you want and where do you want it.

fernoca said:
Exactly, all the stuff is on the disc..
Is like a..randomizer..
Basically, the tournament is a little code..probably 2-5kb of size, that loads everything..
Pretty much like how the Custom Stages in Brawls are handled..each stage is like 1-2kb..is not like you actually save the entire stage plus song on the system/SD Card, you just save basically the code to let the system know what do you want and where do you want it.

I see that as a better option. They can design totally new stages using the assets on the disc.

If its unlockd from the internet i find it lame because it adds nothing to what you could have done in the past

Capndrake

Stitch said:
WAT

00:46 is the best i can do
Here's my strategy, try copying it:

Don't turbo start, instead calmly drive forward and slightly left to get the incoming item. Brake immediately and do a fast turn to face the first Topman (Who should be right behind you now). Boost him off.

Do another quick turn and face the middle, hit the second one as soon as he touches the ground (Don't even wait for him to bounce once, as soon he touches the ground hit him) and then immediately hit him again to boost him off (You have to hit him head on twice here, if you're off slightly he won't go off). With the second boost you should also manage to grab another item box.

When the last two appear instantly boost into one of them twice when he touches the ground to knock him off, reverse for a second, and as soon as the other one passes by (Only a split second) knock him off too.

Milabrega

Teknoman said:
As in GAF racing or battle tournament? Sure.

Racing. Would work something like this. Everyone signs up, then we split into atleast 2 divisions (more if we haven larger participation) of no greater than 6 people (since ya know, coordinated that many people is going to be tough enough) . Those divisions each race the default 8 nintendo GP's. We use a point system based on everyones ranking in each of those GP's. If its only 2 divisions of 6, the top 3 would move on to the championship series, where they'll race on 4 custom GP's using the same point system.

Cheez-It

I'm sure it has been said but...

fuck all the people who vote for the same shitty course multiple times in a row. Luigi Circuit. BLARG! Wanted to reach through the screen and STRANGLE THEM.

/rant

Dragmire said:
I just got 16.75 in the tournament! I managed to hit both of the last Topmen at once and knocked them both off. :D

The lowest I can get is 32 seconds. Even if I can get those last two off at once I can't fathom getting down to 16 seconds.

Dragmire

Saint Gregory said:
The lowest I can get is 32 seconds. Even if I can get those last two off at once I can't fathom getting down to 16 seconds.
Sure you can. ;p I start off the same way Capndrake described. After that, I kind of improvised and tried a few different ways.

Mike M

Nick N
mugwhump said:
Yyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy I got it :D

Is there a way to dodge POW blocks though?
Jerk the remote right before it hits. You'll lose your items and spin, but you keep on rolling after it.

Top Bottom