• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 2k5(Powered by ESPN!) Xbox League: Have another $20 VC, Hell is freezing

First off, the technical info:

Numbers of Teams: TBD
Season length: 40 games
Length between games: 3 days (I will coinflip unplayed games, no exceptions)
Game Difficulty: All-Star (with sliders below)

Batter Contact: 80
Batter Power: 65
Batter Bunt Assistance: 55
Runner Baserunning Speed: 90
Runner Stealing Success: 45
Fielder Errors: 15
Fielder Speed: 40
Fielder Speed Burst Length: 25
Fielder Speed Burst Power: 20
Pitcher Variability: 50
Pitcher Fatigue: 50
Pitcher Interface Speed (K-zone): 80
Injuries: 15
Pitch Speed: 95

Rules:

* Must have a starting rotation. If you are the Cubs, you can't start Kerry Wood 40 games. You have to have a starting rotation of 5 guys. So, if you are the cubs, Kerry wood should play every 5th game. I know this will be kind of hard to remember before each game, but lets do each other a favor and remind each other before the game. As commissioner, I will do my best to get an accurate list of the starting pitchers for each team, and then posting what the matchups SHOULD be either on the league site or my personal site.

* No using multiple starting pitchers in the same game. For instance, if you are the Cubs, you can't start Mark Prior, and then warm up Kerry Wood in the 5th to come in. Play legit, and use your bullpen.

* Don't throw ALL balls, don't throw ALL strikes. Don't whine if you have the bases loaded with no outs and your opponent isn't pitching the ball right down the middle or if he is pitching WAY outside. Be patient, have a good eye, and let him walk you or FORCE him to throw a good pitch. Don't throw all garbage all game, but don't throw everything in the strike zone either. We're trying to be realistic

* No running w/ the qb

I guess there aren't many rules to go by in baseball, but lets try to stick to those.

Anyways I know Konex already made a league, but this one will be superior because of the inclusion of sliders as well as the bump in game numbers. I am debating whether to do Power Rankings or not, and I am leaning towards doing them because they are fun to do. The only problem being they are somewhat time consuming :/ if anyone wants to help out we can put it on my webspace.

Post here with whatever team you want. If you called a team in the other thread first that will still stand here, but still post because I can't remember all of them and I'm too lazy to look. Thanks fellas

1. FMT - Minnesota Twins
2. DMczaf - Seattle Mariners
3. MrBob - Chicago Cubs
4. Matrix - Houston Astros
5. Ramirez - Cleveland Indians
6. ShadowRed - Texas Rangers
7. Scoot - St. Louis Cardinals
8. TJ - California Angels
9. Malleymal - Baltimore Orioles
10. Truelize - San Francisco Giants
11. Fifty - Toronto Bluejays or a power team
12. ConfusingJazz - Oakland Athletics
13. Jobber - Atlanta Braves*
14. DJ Demon - Washington Nationals
15. Mlhaynes - Boston Redsox
16. Wellie - New York Yankees (?)
17. Konex - Los Angeles Dodgers
18. Caninusrule - Detroit Tigers

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Fifty

I'm in. The sliders are great (maybe they're too hard if you *cough* suck at videogames *cough*) I thought I'd use the Jays, but I watch tons of Jays games on TV, I'm buying lots of tickets this year, so don't you think I'm betraying my team..and maybe I'll try a change of pace for once and use a different team. I'll use the Marlins if Carlos is on them, if not, I'll use the O's.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

P.S. I heard about this tomfoolery via Ramirez and Scoot - a couple Halo 2 bastards.

i must reiterate fellas, the following to play in a successful league is a must:

1. AIM (easy contact)
2. Flexible schedule - we all have lives blahblahblah but it's not that much to ask to take an hour or two a week to finish a couple games. at least i don't think so
3. play legit!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Imo if you sign up for leagues here and say you will play and miss a game or two..thats cool,but if its all the time I feel they should be banned from all future leagues or a small amount of time from the forum unless its related to a...

1.Death in the family
2.Sick yourself
3.Business trip you cant get out of.

Now if you just dont play cause you start to hate the game,think its unfair,or dont make contact with anyone or attempt to...something forum/league related needs to be done.

If you have a major problem please atleast let someone know through aim,email or this forum whats up.If any of the above things are happening in your life right now,please dont bother signing up if its going to be too much trouble for you.Like fmt said,you only need to take a couple of hours out of a week to get a game or two in.

These are my feelings on it,so dont kill me.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
So I take it that MLB is the online game of choice for GAF? I only want to buy one game, and I am interested in joining this league. Fifty, Matrix, what do you guys think of both games? I've heard what FMT has to say, I want to hear what others think. I just don't want to get owned by some gamebreaking glitch and then all of a sudden we all abandon the game ala NBA.

MVP or MLB, either way, Yanks!

5 man rotation?! That's a lot. :(

I am always legit (except with Strahan!) and I always get my games in!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The thing is, online leagues is a huge and awesome feature. Even with some bugs. That said, I'll reiterate what I said in the other thread. Read some fan reports at OS. The game is full of bugs this year.

I call the red sox

EDIT: um, I may have to skip the first few games due to spring break and everything, and screw you if you think i am bringing the box just to play a couple league games.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'm going to Gamestop in a few. IF they have this I'll get it. I call uhhh...The Braves or Nationals.

ConfusingJazz, in that case what i will do is "drop" you from the league for those few games, have someone from the league also drop and sign in as your team to play the games and go on. unless someone else has a better idea

p.s. what do you mean the ladies wouldn't like to play an online league on spring break? that would turn them on even more

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
wait i only want the Orioles if sosa is on that team... if not fifty can have them... i dont really know who is good.... I will take the mets if fifty wants the sosa less O's

Ramirez

Does this game have trades like the other games had?I need someone to trade me Arthur Rhodes :( But I don't see anyone picking the Pirates...I think that was his team last year =\

jobber

ugh...I got Street Fighter but they were sold out of MLB and they told me no more was coming in....
:(

I'll try another store tonight. Don't put me down yet as it seems this game wasn't mass produced and finding one will be a bitch.

mlhaynes4

Hey guys im going to go pick up the game today.

I know you're all gonna hate me for this but you can ask Ramirez, I'm a Red Sox fan.

tag = mhaynes4

EDIT: DOH! Well since my Sox are taken... go head and sign me up for the marlins!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
ConfusingJazz, in that case what i will do is "drop" you from the league for those few games, have someone from the league also drop and sign in as your team to play the games and go on. unless someone else has a better idea

p.s. what do you mean the ladies wouldn't like to play an online league on spring break? that would turn them on even more

How about i just forfeit the games, its only going to be two or three, and in the big picture, i don't really mind all that much...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Musashi Wins! said:
The thing is, online leagues is a huge and awesome feature. Even with some bugs. That said, I'll reiterate what I said in the other thread. Read some fan reports at OS. The game is full of bugs this year.

What...kind... of bugs?!?

Ramirez

From what I've gathered from his other posts its stat tracking bugs I think,nothing that would really kill the gameplay as far as online goes...I think ;)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Ramirez said:
From what I've gathered from his other posts its stat tracking bugs I think,nothing that would really kill the gameplay as far as online goes...I think ;)

That's what we all said about NFL 2K5, and NBA 2K5! Argh. :|

Ramirez

Yea,but I could pretty much tell those games were crap after a couple games :lol

This will be different I feel,especially since we get to use sliders :)

Fifty

I can't betray my team, I'm using the Jays. Feel free to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't interfere with someone else's team, Malley.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Well if Ram and Matrix give it their blessing, I guess I will pick it up. I actually went to the store just now and they were sold out. I will hopefully have it tomorrow.

If anyone has issue with me using the Yanks I could be persuaded to use another team. They are my favorite team but I understand they are a power team!

pick whatever team you want. difference between baseball and other sports gaming is that in basketball/football you may have to do 50% production to succeed with a power team, whereas in baseball you still have to do 80% production to be successful

p.s. those are percentage numbers i pulled out of my ass, but just to give you an idea

Matrix

Wellington said:
Well if Ram and Matrix give it their blessing, I guess I will pick it up. I actually went to the store just now and they were sold out. I will hopefully have it tomorrow.

If anyone has issue with me using the Yanks I could be persuaded to use another team. They are my favorite team but I understand they are a power team!

Pick it up,its only 20$ and its actually fun online using fmts sliders...the thing that irks me the most is the pitcher fielding everything like a god,but ive learned to deal it.Imo leagues should be fun and its not even close to being as bad as nfl and nba,maybe cause its made by the Kush team who made NHL.

I have no issue with anyone using power teams,if you know how to pitch and play D..well power teams dont make that much of a difference in the game.

Fifty

Yeah, really. especially considering the price...how much did they give you for it?

This league should be good, I'm really excited about the trades...although since I'm using the lowly Jays, I'm not sure people will want my guys. That's one of the reasons I was (and kinda still am) considering using a good team, because I can trade some guys to make the team I want.

Ramirez

I need a good bullpen guy...fuckin Sega and their shitty out of date rosters.I don't have Juan Gonzalez either!

Matrix

Ramirez said:
I need a good bullpen guy...fuckin Sega and their shitty out of date rosters.I don't have Juan Gonzalez either!

You really dont need his old ass anyway :p

jobber

uh...I just went to a new Target and Walmart and both were sold out. If this starts within a week, kick me out.

LukeSmith

Ramirez said:

Waaaah waaaah
I don't have Juan Gonzalez
waaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Mrbob

Forget the league just hand me the title! You girlies already know I'm taking the championship trophy!

Mrbob said:
Forget the league just hand me the title! You girlies already know I'm taking the championship trophy!

Dude, you know, just like the real cubbies, your team will be brilliant the first half, and then just choke slowly into obscurity at the end of the season.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I got the game. Is the league set up yet? I don't see a league name or password anywhere.

Wellie: I'll take Giambi. I want all the juicers.

Mrbob

ConfusingJazz said:
Dude, you know, just like the real cubbies, your team will be brilliant the first half, and then just choke slowly into obscurity at the end of the season.

I didn't just hear smack talk from a Red Sox fan! :lol Your team gets lucky one year! Well, I hope you enjoyed that title, because you won't be seeing one for another 100+ years while the Cubs have the championship locked up for the next 10 years!

*UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111

- kzone speed reduced slightly. major problems with that? pm me or IM me

- there is no way 18 people are going to play regularly. let me reiterate this again (and i will again and again), if you can't be readily available to play games within 3 days DONT JOIN I don't want to discourage anyone, but it is really inconsiderate and a real shitty thing to do to sign up and then be nowhere to be found. Hate to be a dick about it but if you want to join the league you MUST have AIM and must be on at least occassionally to schedule games. I know it is tough to download and to click sign on while you're browsing the internet, but you'll live. Every player who has ever been reliable in our many leagues has had AIM. And (i hate to say it), but 80% of players who didn't use AIM at least SOMETIMES turned out to be deadbeats.

so, if you want in the league, please post your AIM in this thread so that we may all benefit from it. good day!

p.s. my aim is WhosSorryNow015 for those who dont have it

Top Bottom