• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB Power Pros 2008 Thread of Big Heads, Dating, and Marvin

Does anyone have any tips for success mode? I've started two characters. The first didn't even get out of AA, the second didn't last long enough in AAA to get off of the bench. I suck. :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Confusatron said:
Does anyone have any tips for success mode? I've started two characters. The first didn't even get out of AA, the second didn't last long enough in AAA to get off of the bench. I suck. :lol
The main thing for Success Mode is to do well in any games you get to play in, and when training to do so whereever the coach is present. Raising your Coach Eval and Scout Eval is key to moving up in that mode.

Also, don't forget about the week 4 training bonuses you get each month. If you can get enough vitality for 2 or 3 training sessions without too high an injury risk, you can then skip any training in week 3 and do other things, build up your carryover points, and then focus on training on week 4.

XiaNaphryz said:
The main thing for Success Mode is to do well in any games you get to play in, and when training to do so whereever the coach is present. Raising your Coach Eval and Scout Eval is key to moving up in that mode.

Also, don't forget about the week 4 training bonuses you get each month. If you can get enough vitality for 2 or 3 training sessions without too high an injury risk, you can then skip any training in week 3 and do other things, build up your carryover points, and then focus on training on week 4.

Do you recommend spending anytime buying items or visiting locations, or should I focus on just training where my coach is?

XiaNaphryz

Confusatron said:
Do you recommend spending anytime buying items or visiting locations, or should I focus on just training where my coach is?
If you'll be doing the "week 3 off/week 4 on" training strategy, week 3 is when you'll want to be doing most of your location visiting and what not, though you'll be doing a bit of that in weeks 1 and 2 to recover vitality. There are several events that can be beneficial to you when visiting different places.

As for items, I haven't really explored that area yet other than some of the ones that recover vitality.

Forkball

For Success mode, you have to practice constantly. When you get low on stamina, go get food and order the Chinese combo, it fills up about 75 vitality points. It is smart to do this on week 3 so you can practice harder on week 4 (super boost week). You will have to miss out on some story lines and not get a girlfriend, but you should easily pass. Plus there are plenty of random events that pop up and you will be able to do some storylines, it won't be like you're just practicing over and over again and missing out on the characters or story.

I practiced wherever the was a coach icon, even if it was a field I didn't necessarily need work on. It will boost your coach evaluation and scout evaluation. Doing well in games is also a must, and it's where you get the bulk of your scouting points. I was a starting pitcher and only won one game in AA, but I didn't lose any and didn't blow the lead, even if I gave up a run.

When you get to AAA, you only have to please the scout, so doing well in games is of utmost importance. There are also some scout minigames that pop up that will boost their bar.

To build up your stats, practicing on week four is a great way to get some points. Pretty much everything you do will result in you getting some points you can spend on boosting your stats, but practice is the most consistent way to do it. There is also a guy named Dr. Feelgood who gave me +60 points in almost every category, but I heard his results are random. I also HIGHLY recommend you do Sittch's storyline in the lake. He gives good stat boosts and a ton of bonuses like items and special skills. After I completed all of his missions, he taught me a custom pitch. Definitely worth your time.

I've been playing MLB Life mode recently. It's a bit strange statwise. I started off 10-0 and now I'm 12-5. I've been fiddling around with the sweet spot option and I'm not sure if that's what is making the hitters more aggressive and accurate or if it's just a natural progression. Also there are some incredibly strange trades that happen during MLB Life mode. Pedro Martinez was traded for Brandon Inge, Wang was traded to the Tigers, Randy Johnson to the Mariners, Nats traded away Guzman, etc. I'm still playing around with it and I'm not quite sure what everything does yet (like which hobbies affect which stats).

I have a question for you Power Pro veterans. I just bought it. First Power Pros. Loving it so far.

But I lost the instruction manual and I don't really get the pitching set up. I like the classic RBI baseball style so here are a few questions:

1. I select the pitch and then the guy starts moving. Do I only have that limited time in his motion to set where the pitch starts from?

2. It sometimes doesn't do it where I put it... is this due to fatigue or what?

3. Sometimes I select a pitch, it comes really quick, and my cursor accidentally went off the map. However, the pitch turns out fine? Why is that?

4. In season mode, the access to the bullpen doesn't seem to exist anymore. I feel like since I'm not warming up pitchers, they are coming out cold (Mariano pitching a 75 MPH fast ball after two hours... not hardly). How do I warm up pitchers in season mode?

Thanks guys!

XiaNaphryz

Thespis721 said:
I have a question for you Power Pro veterans. I just bought it. First Power Pros. Loving it so far.

But I lost the instruction manual and I don't really get the pitching set up. I like the classic RBI baseball style so here are a few questions:

1. I select the pitch and then the guy starts moving. Do I only have that limited time in his motion to set where the pitch starts from?

Yep, you have until ball release to select location.

2. It sometimes doesn't do it where I put it... is this due to fatigue or what?

It's primarily influenced by the pitcher's control stat, though some of a pitcher's other skills may also be a factor depending on the situation.

3. Sometimes I select a pitch, it comes really quick, and my cursor accidentally went off the map. However, the pitch turns out fine? Why is that?

Not sure exactly what you're describing here - did the cursor suddenly jump completely outside and the pitch still ended up in the strike zone or something? I'm guessing you held the control stick in a direction for too long after selecting a pitch and you were somehow able to quickly move it to a different spot before release and you just missed seeing where the cursor went.

4. In season mode, the access to the bullpen doesn't seem to exist anymore. I feel like since I'm not warming up pitchers, they are coming out cold (Mariano pitching a 75 MPH fast ball after two hours... not hardly). How do I warm up pitchers in season mode?

Unfortunately, bullpen warmup is only for Exhibition mode for some reason. Dunno why.

Koomaster

Question about Life Mode: How do you propose to a girl?

The girl in question, I have all her hearts full; and I have bought the engagement ring, and even took out a loan on a family house figuring I would need it (ala Harvest Moon) in order to propose. But I never see the option for that anywhere.

Any certain hoops I have to go through first?

XiaNaphryz

Koomaster said:
Question about Life Mode: How do you propose to a girl?

The girl in question, I have all her hearts full; and I have bought the engagement ring, and even took out a loan on a family house figuring I would need it (ala Harvest Moon) in order to propose. But I never see the option for that anywhere.

Any certain hoops I have to go through first?
What car do you have? There might be a prereq there as well.

Great game as expected, I especially like MLB Life mode.

For success mode I've found getting the necklace that doubles scout eval. is extremely useful. I've tried practicing with every bonus in the game and still failed (it may not have helped that the computer decided my team lost every game), I've failed when my team won most games, but even with a losing record when I got the scout necklace I still won despite being told at the end I was "weak". At any rate, I like it better than the original Power Pro's "must win the championship game that the computer can keep you from by losing games for you" setup (or at least the only time I passed it was the only time I won the championship).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I really wanted to pick this title up last year, but I didn't. Now I'll have to decide between this and Mario Sluggers. Admittingly, the franchise and other modes in this game look great.

If there's no difference between the PS2/Wii version, I might just pick it up on the PS2 for $19.99 regardless of Mario.

Koomaster

XiaNaphryz said:
What car do you have? There might be a prereq there as well.
The Cruiser (Motorcycle).

I finally took a break from Life Mode to go into Success; I got fired 30 minutes into the game. :lol

It was really bizarre; I had a scout from the majors come to watch me practice batting. I had to get 10 points or better, and ended up with 13 points. He seemed really impressed, but the next week my coach fires me and marvin.

Success Mode = Failure Mode

Koomaster

XiaNaphryz said:
Yeah, I think you need a sedan or something first. You know, a family-sized car. ;)
Werd, I caved and bought the Sedan. But apparently we weren't even going steady - whoops. I am going after Nicole (the doctor) btw, so spoilers I guess for that...

She was on my list of ladies but everytime I would call her up, I only got a check-up, couldn't ask her out or anything. Then I got a check-up before a game and I gave her a ticket to come and watch me play. It happened to be a really good game for me and she came up to me after the end and told me how she always thought baseball was stupid, why would people go out there and injur themselves. But seeing me play she finally understood and found herself cheering me on. After that I got a little 'Steady' beside the hearts.

I finally proposed to her but she said she didn't like where I am living or something; which sucks since I just bought the $1Million house and am still paying off the loan on it; so I don't know why she doesn't like it, it's a nice freakin' house. ~_____~

SickBoy

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I wanted to know if the season mode was any different this year. I just want to play games without micromanaging, particularly since the actual player info screens and various menus and such in last year's version were pretty much nonsensical to me.

Top Bottom