• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 JP thread (omg)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Himuro said:
I guess the non linearity is going to kill some of these people.

"I hate non linearity! I like being told what to do!"

**** off.
Calm down there sport, both can exist in the world.
That said, I'm so moist for P3 that I can't do anything more constructive than say that 100 times in the same thread. <3 <3 <3

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Reilly said:
worst idea ever, why not just make all the characters unplayable?
You mean like, Ogre Battle? People sometimes forget that there's more game to most RPGs than just the battles. But I digress.

duckroll

I can understand why people are up in arms about AI party members. But P3 actually executes it really well. Let's put it this way. The battles in P3 can be won by you alone. This is obvious especially when you split the party up. It's just easier with 3 people, and if you ask why they're there at all if you can't control them, they're your friends. The game is a simulation of a character who is supposed to be you, over a year of school life. You make decisions, answer questions, make friends, and hang out with them at night to dungeon crawl. If that doesn't sound appealing, then the concept of P3 has failed to sell itself to you. It's not a flaw. :)

RevenantKioku

Reilly said:
Eh. I liked it more than SMT3. SMT3, while awesome, bothered me with the fact that the hero was also a demon. It was just a big ol' demon festival and lacking the human characters to make a difference took away a bit. No where near enough to ruin the game or even approach making the game anything less than great, but I missed that aspect. But then again most of you haven't played the first two SMT games so not much to talk about. Although it was nice not needing that energy to keep the demons summoned, which just would not work in SMT3.

Shouta

duckroll said:
I can understand why people are up in arms about AI party members. But P3 actually executes it really well. Let's put it this way. The battles in P3 can be won by you alone. This is obvious especially when you split the party up. It's just easier with 3 people, and if you ask why they're there at all if you can't control them, they're your friends. The game is a simulation of a character who is supposed to be you, over a year of school life. You make decisions, answer questions, make friends, and hang out with them at night to dungeon crawl. If that doesn't sound appealing, then the concept of P3 has failed to sell itself to you. It's not a flaw. :)

It's a good version of .hack!

RevenantKioku

You've changed, Himu. Did someone stop packing cookies into your lunch?
A nice change sure, I just hope they do something different in SMT4. Lack of equipment is something that I don't care for.

MrDaravon

duckroll said:
Just got to the end of Golden Week. Junpei's a bastard, I thought he was a true friend and ally, until he introduced me to this stupid "Devil Busters Online" MMORPG shit. So now instead of just having the "sleep" or "study" options at night in my room when I'm not exploring the Tataros (or on holidays if I decide to stay at home), there's now a stupid "NET GAME" option too. To make things worse, it's a community as well, so if you keep "playing" there are benefits, but you really waste a shitload of time. Grrr... that ****er! :lol

Also, I found that there's a burger joint called WILDUCK BURGER, and there's even a silly duck mascot thing inside the joint. The "special set" even came with Duck Fries... ^^; I've figure out that doing certain activities alone (karaoke, eating at places, etc) will boost your Courage, while staying awake in class and reading shit at the library will boost your academic stat. Unfortunately they're all still really low, and I haven't figured out how to improve my Charm yet. I've asked some girls spend time with me but they're all avoiding me like I'm some weirdo. :(

Dungeon-wise the battles can get really interesting. While the loads themselves are really fast and the battles really short, you can make them even shorter once you've memorized the weaknesses of each Shadow. When you damage an enemy with either an elemental weakness or a critical attack, they get into a "down" status which gives that character one more attack. Downed enemies also lost a turn since they have to get up on their next turn. Party members can also be hit with Down if the enemy gets your weakness, which I believe is determined by your equipped Persona. If you manage to Down all enemies in a single turn, you can do a bumrush attack with your entire party that does good damage to every enemy. But you might want to avoid that if you need to heal instead, since you'll be getting a free turn next.

Also interesting is that while the spells of the Persona take up your SP, using the normal attack of a Persona (as opposed to your own weapon attack) takes up HP instead. Also I've unlocked Quests from the Velvet Room where Elizabeth has special requests of items from the Tataros tower, and when you fulfil the requests you get the rewards. Some quests have time limits as well, so you need to complete them by a certain date or they're gone.

The dungeon crawling and school life thing is very well balanced and integrated imo, but I can see why some people wouldn't like it. It's definitely not a game for everyone since you need to have the patience and acquired taste for dungeon crawlers, and you need to enjoy school life sim stuff. Tsu'll probably hate this game since we keep talking about the differences between games driven purely by gameplay (BoF5 for example), and games that are driven by the overall experience (MGS games).

Persona 3 is definitely one of those experience games for me, since the entire overall atmosphere and the leisurely pace of me choosing and doing what I want and progressing in the directions I want is very enjoyable. If you keep thinking of it as a game and trying to justify everything by stat boosts and gameplay development, you'll probably miss the entire point of the game.

The game is all about a high school students who are also part-time dungeon crawlers at night. So in the morning you'll be going to school, in the evening you might be having ramen with a classmate after school while he tries to nudge more information about your female party member Yuriko out of you since you board together with her, but at night you'll be dungeon crawling and hoping to get the most out of the trip by either hitting the next checkpoint or at least getting some new Persona.

excellentfrog5dr.jpg

duckroll

Himuro said:
Yeah well, I personally liked the fact that you were a demon. It mades things so interesting and fresh. I can play as a human in any other rpg, but in SMT3 I was a demon who ripped shit up. **** being human.

I think what Himuro is trying to say that is SMT3 is a large departure from SMT1 and SMT2 in terms of setting and general ideas while maintaining all the flavor that made SMT awesome. In the same way, that's what Persona 3 is doing, retaining the flavor of the Persona series but trying something new and different.

FredFish

Persona 3 is definitely one of those experience games for me, since the entire overall atmosphere and the leisurely pace of me choosing and doing what I want and progressing in the directions I want is very enjoyable.

Hmmm. I've played through Steambot Chronicles a couple times recently. Aside from obvious atmosphere differences what kind of comparison would you make between them?

RevenantKioku

duckroll said:
I think what Himuro is trying to say that is SMT3 is a large departure from SMT1 and SMT2 in terms of setting and general ideas while maintaining all the flavor that made SMT awesome. In the same way, that's what Persona 3 is doing, retaining the flavor of the Persona series but trying something new and different.
Well there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong. There were just little things in SMT3 I missed from the earlier games, despite the game still being **** all awesome.

duckroll

RevenantKioku said:
Well there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong. There were just little things in SMT3 I missed from the earlier games, despite the game still being **** all awesome.

I agree. When I first started SMT3 way back, my initial reaction was "oh man, what did they do to SMT?!" There were no human party members, no equipment, etc. The cyberpunk element of devil summoning was removed. But after the first hour most of it wore off because I knew exactly what the director was planning with the game. Same with Persona 3. The guy is really talented. :)

RevenantKioku

Awesome. Hopefully I can get P3 at a decent price in a few months. Far too much stuff right now that I still have to catch up on.
How difficult would you rank the Japanese (I don't think this question got answered before)? Is it balls to the face hard like SMT or a little nicer like DQ or FF?

Abel

Everything about the game screams hot sex :D ! Except for two flaccid points... only one huge dungeon that happens to be random (maybe it will be decent? got to wait to see) and the biggest downer being AI controlled teammates. Heck even games like Tales or Dragon Quest which are famous for their strategic AI designations let me have manual control options :(, but other than that it sounds amazing and I cant wait to play!

I agree. When I first started SMT3 way back, my initial reaction was "oh man, what did they do to SMT?!" There were no human party members, no equipment, etc. The cyberpunk element of devil summoning was removed. But after the first hour most of it wore off because I knew exactly what the director was planning with the game. Same with Persona 3. The guy is really talented.

Yes agreed. Nocturne was amazing with its changes/improvements and Persona 3's life sim and everything else makes me want to play ASAP, HOWEVER we still had control over the hero's "friends" in Nocturne :( Maybe the AI will grow on me?

But I like to be in control
:lol

duckroll

RevenantKioku said:
Awesome. Hopefully I can get P3 at a decent price in a few months. Far too much stuff right now that I still have to catch up on.
How difficult would you rank the Japanese (I don't think this question got answered before)? Is it balls to the face hard like SMT or a little nicer like DQ or FF?

The Japanese is about what you expect from anime/manga during with high school students. It's easy to understand and they don't use complex terms or made up compound kanji terms like Xenosaga/SMT3/DDS. It definitely helps that the setting is just occult shit in near-future Japan and not occult shit 4000 years in the future or occult shit after the end of the world. :lol

RevenantKioku

duckroll said:
The Japanese is about what you expect from anime/manga during with high school students. It's easy to understand and they don't use complex terms or made up compound kanji terms like Xenosaga/SMT3/DDS. It definitely helps that the setting is just occult shit in near-future Japan and not occult shit 4000 years in the future or occult shit after the end of the world. :lol
SOLD! **** 2007!

duckroll

Himuro said:
Are there puzzles in the dungeon?

No. It's a dungeon crawling randomly generated floor by floor treasure hunt + progress to the next checkpoint thing. Not a standard JRPG dungeon with puzzles and designs. If you want that, there's this game called Xenosaga Ep3! This Summer the gods are determined that they should be fair, so VP:S, XS3 and P3 are ALL unique in their own ways and together fulfil every RPG fetish that much exist. Bonus points if you have multiple fetishes! :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so basically this sounds like the best RPG I played since Nocturne, awesome.

the micromanaging stuff sounds really awesome I like stuff like that because I can try new things on replays I hope the game has different endings because games begs to be replayed.

the ost sounds ****ing awesome, Meguro am God total.

2007... :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
But I liked the direction Nocturne took the series. I don't want random dungeons. I WANT MY PUZZLES DAMMIT!!!

Error

I don't know if it's against TOS but I can post a remix with various songs from the OST is a 13 minute long medley/remix whatever.

but I don't want to get banned, so if a mod gives me the go ahead I'll upload it.

RevenantKioku

jj984jj said:
But I liked the direction Nocturne took the series. I don't want random dungeons. I WANT MY PUZZLES DAMMIT!!!
Not all MegaTen are created equal. :D

Tokubetsu

Man I really want this game..I thought about maybe importing it and waiting ona translation FAQ or something but It sounds like I'd still be missing part of the experience with the whole sim/school stuff (which has me excited).

Srider

Banned
I just started playing around with making new persona's. This can be a bit interesting for people if they like the pokemon type of gameplay where you build up your collection of pokemon/cards and mix them up to make more powerful ones. (I didn't play around with this cause I didn't want to lose the one that I have by default.)

This is where the community aspect comes in to play. Each type of mixture has a community affinity, so depending on your community levels, the new persona can get a massive exp boost when you create it. It works like this, you can only make new persona that is the same level or below the main character's level. However, after you create it, the stat boost from your community ranking can raise the new persona's level to an even higher value. So you can have persona's that are 4,5, or more levels above your current level. Needless to say, this boost your damage potential by a crap load. Since at every few level up your equipped persona will gain a new skill, it is possible to instantly gain like 3 or 4 new skills by mixing persona's and a high community rank. Also, when you mix persona's, it is possible to inherit the skills, affinity, etc., from the input persona's. So in the end, you can make some pretty uber persona's, which is the main point of the battle system.

It's clear now that the community rank has nothing to do with your party members. I have to agree with duckroll that the AI controlled members do not hinder the gameplay at all. They are very good at targeting the enemies' weaknesses and often take out a full party of enemies by themselves. Nothing to worry about there. You don't really have to worry about the AI using up their SP or HP since you really don't spend much time in the dungeon anyways due to the fatigue system.

Of course, you can stay in the dungeon and fight fatigued; but it can create problems now that I can take quests. Many of the quests in this game has a time limit (in days), and if you are not careful in budgeting fatigue, you can screw yourself out of the quest since you might not be prepared enough to tackle the quest (often requiring a few trips and alot of searching). I still don't quite get why the fatigue system is in the game, beside to prevent players from progressing too quickly... later on in the game if your character is fatigue, there is a massive risk in battle cause they won't recover as quickly when the enemies combo your party. Especially if your persona has any weaknesses, the enemies will exploit it all day, combo'ing you without a chance to retaliate.

duckroll

Okay, now THIS is what we're talking about! This game is definitely designed to have the leisurely pace in mind because on certain dates of the calander things WILL happen storywise. Also, there are combat areas outside of the main dungeon depending on stuff that happens. The main dungeon also has limitations. I'm not sure if Srider discovered yet, but I cleared all 16 floors of the first block of the dungeon and couldn't progress anymore at that point after you reach the top of that block. Only after certain story events happen will the next block be unlocked.

I'm really having a blast with the Community stuff, since I focus on the Communities that provide me with the Tarot affinities I'm interested in. Also, I pick them base on how interesting I find the character substories in those community. Also after studying on and off for a month or so, I suddenly realized the mid-terms were next week, so I've been spending more time in the past few days studying in the library instead of doing community stuff or Tataros dungeon crawling at night. It's funny how "realistic" the game can be if you get attached to the community stuff. But I finally leveled up my Academic skill! I might not fail next week! :lol

WalkMan

Banned
duckroll said:
Okay, now THIS is what we're talking about! This game is definitely designed to have the leisurely pace in mind because on certain dates of the calander things WILL happen storywise. Also, there are combat areas outside of the main dungeon depending on stuff that happens. The main dungeon also has limitations. I'm not sure if Srider discovered yet, but I cleared all 16 floors of the first block of the dungeon and couldn't progress anymore at that point after you reach the top of that block. Only after certain story events happen will the next block be unlocked.

I'm really having a blast with the Community stuff, since I focus on the Communities that provide me with the Tarot affinities I'm interested in. Also, I pick them base on how interesting I find the character substories in those community. Also after studying on and off for a month or so, I suddenly realized the mid-terms were next week, so I've been spending more time in the past few days studying in the library instead of doing community stuff or Tataros dungeon crawling at night. It's funny how "realistic" the game can be if you get attached to the community stuff. But I finally leveled up my Academic skill! I might not fail next week! :lol
Wow.. This truly is a sequel to Persona. What about the storyline? What exactly is it?

This is kinda driving me nuts... Duckroll, why do you keep saying tataros? Shouldn't it be Tartarus or Tartaros (depending on how you spell it)? From the FAMItsu scans I've seen the romanji is "tarutarosu", or is this something else in the game?

Error

duckroll said:

this sounds too ****ing awesome.

seems like Nocturne will have company.

duckroll

Mefisutoferesu said:
This is kinda driving me nuts... Duckroll, why do you keep saying tataros? Shouldn't it be Tartarus or Tartaros (depending on how you spell it)? From the FAMItsu scans I've seen the romanji is "tarutarosu", or is this something else in the game?

It's Tartaros, but I think I'm thinking of Yukari's tatas.... she has a nice dress when she's hanging around the house during weekends and holidays.... mmmm

This sounds really intriguing so far :)

Sure, I tend to prefer fixed-design dungeons and controllable party members, but I also like it when games try something new and I'm always up for giving something new a shot! Especially when it sounds like it fits well into the overall design of the game.

and I love the whole "community" idea and of time passing during the day while you crawl dungeons at night ;)

Srider

Banned
duckroll said:

Yeah I'm way past it... didn't want to give stuff away though...

Anyways, I think that was a bit sensationalized.... study skills has more to do with enabling higher level skills due to it opening up more communities later on. The mid terms are just questions that you answer in a cutscene, so yeah, Japanese skills are required for that. I think the game so far is interesting enough for me to finish it, but it's far from fulfilling my expectation.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Srider said:
Yeah I'm way past it... didn't want to give stuff away though...

Anyways, I think that was a bit sensationalized.... study skills has more to do with enabling higher level skills due to it opening up more communities later on. The mid terms are just questions that you answer in a cutscene, so yeah, Japanese skills are required for that. I think the game so far is interesting enough for me to finish it, but it's far from fulfilling my expectation.
Well I'd imagine a dungeon crawler with random generated dungeons would do that. And that fatigue system sounds horrible. But at least the game is fun during the day, right?

Lain

Is there gonna be an OST released for P3? After listening to the Medley posted, i need to get the full OST.

Error

Lain said:
Is there gonna be an OST released for P3? After listening to the Medley posted, i need to get the full OST.
yeah next week. has 58 songs.

duckroll more impressions plz.

CloudV

Just picked up my copy from Bic on the way home and just started it. So far I'm really loving the art style, and game style. Music is good too! I'm only quite literally just at the beginning, going through the first school day, but I'm really enjoying this school life part, personally. I like how you can say different answers and just go from there, without being to choose all of them. I'm seeing some high replay value.

Again, I just can't get over the style of this, and the voice acting is really really good. Time to settle down and give it a few hours of play!

Error

some dude in gamefaqs is posting a lot of impressions.

apperantly you can sleep during classes it would improve your stamina but decrease your academic ability :lol I wonder if you can cheat during exams, like some of your classmates telling you the answers to a q or something.

Top Bottom