• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Share Play thread | Share playable PS4 game streams to your friends

AlexIIDX

Anyone else have this issue, my friend just invited me to share play Realm Reborn and all i'm getting is a black screen. I can hear everything and even control it but no picture. Have reconnected twice.

Dragon

Banned
Anyone want to play Mordor? There's a rumor in the big 2.0 update thread that some publishers have opted out of SharePlay, WB and Ubisoft being the two ones that stuck out to me.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Anyone else have this issue, my friend just invited me to share play Realm Reborn and all i'm getting is a black screen. I can hear everything and even control it but no picture. Have reconnected twice.
I will try this as soon as I get home because for FFXIV:ARR PSN merely acts a gateway and the rest of the game takes place in Square-Enix's servers. Has anyone else tried share play with the F2P titles the PS4 has? Since PSN is also merely acting as a gateway towards the external servers of those games I have to wonder if this is going to be a problem for these games.

rrrnzr

Neo Member
i'm pretty stoked! tried it out with a friend and it worked great. we were playing diablo and he said he got great picture quality and almost no lag. i was hosting with 50d/5u. after that he did host a game on 16d/2,5u. this time plants vs zombies: garden warfare. picture quality wasnt good due to lots of artifacts. but, there was very minor lag; still cant believe this (we were also talking over the party channel.).

i'd like to have some clarification on the region/locking thing, some games we tried did not work:

pixel junk shooter ultimate
lego marvel heroes

games that did work:

nba 2k14
minecraft
diablo 3
pvz: garden warfare

(hello gaf, this is my first gaming related post after lurking for years [decades?:eek:]) <3)

Anyone want to play Mordor? There's a rumor in the big 2.0 update thread that some publishers have opted out of SharePlay, WB and Ubisoft being the two ones that stuck out to me.

Huh, I shareplayed Shadow of Mordor with a gaffer, and whilst it was laggy, he was able to play it.

Shareplay works really well if the host as a really high upload speed. I was playing Injustice and a little bit of Killzone Shadow Fall with no lag, but when I stream it lags because my upload speed fails.

Looking for someone with a decent connection speed to try this feature both ways (as a host and as a guest).
I have 50/50 connection and can share Sleeping Dogs, Driveclub or Mordor.
Not planning to play anything for a long time, just for a couple of minutes to test this by myself in real world environment.

pszet0

Banned
My download speed test is 11.12 Mbps and upload speed is 0.95 Mbps. Is that enough to host? Just tried it with a friend and he couldn't connect due to connection being to slow. Not sure if its because of him or me.

Moozo

My 13/1 isn't going to be good enough to host :(

Tried streaming my friend's Driveclub just to test it. It looked great but there was a lot of input lag. I was really having to compensate, I imagine it would be less problematic in other game types.

Edit:
Also, it DID let me initiate the hosting, but disconnected my friend after about a minute. He also sent me a video of what he was getting on his screen - loads of grey box artifacts on the screen obscuring the view.

My download speed test is 11.12 Mbps and upload speed is 0.95 Mbps. Is that enough to host? Just tried it with a friend and he couldn't connect due to connection being to slow. Not sure if its because of him or me.

Nope, 1 megabit up is not enough. Welcome to the looming #uploadCrisis .. although the pre-share speed test it runs may even allow it, you won't like the results. For a good solid stream you need well north of 2 megabit. And latency should be solid as well with no packet loss.

FireSol

Just have a test between Moscow(Russia) and Orlando(Florida). It worked well there was noticeable input lag, but for 5.6k miles distance between players Im impressed with results. And I think in future things will get better

spwolf

Just have a test between Moscow(Russia) and Orlando(Florida). It worked? well there was noticeable input lag, but for 5.6k miles distance between players Im impressed with results. And I think in future things will get better

yeah, even if you had best connection, it wont work well though, just physics... thats likely at least 300ms lag.

if you played server based multiplayer games where you would see ping next to the server, you understand what I mean.

FireSol

yeah, even if you had best connection, it wont work well though, just physics... thats likely at least 300ms lag.

if you played server based multiplayer games where you would see ping next to the server, you understand what I mean.

yeah, I've made a test and ping was around 200ms

SnakeNL

Mordor isn't working for me and my friends.
We are getting the following error "content restrictions that make the game screen unavailable to view in your country or location."

But we're all in the same country (Netherlands)
Does somebody else het this error ?

wormania

When it finally works, it works great. But the content restrictions and the inability for the system to correctly pass the stream over (receiving client continuously saying you're in a screen that can't be shared, when you are not) makes it a flaky experience at best.

Whatever you struggle through to play has to be really worth it to make the effort.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OK

So here is my situation...I do a majority of my gaming playing split screen or couch co op with my wife. I am currently playing Borderlands the Pre-Sequel on 360 and before that we were playing Diablo Ultimate Evil Edition on PS4

Here are the list of AAA co op games I plan on getting on the PS4 in the future:

Far Cry 4
Dragon Age Inquisition
Assassins Creed Unity
CoD Advance Warfare
Temple of Osiris
LBP3
R6:Seige
RE:Revelations 2
Sniper Elite 3
The Division
Destiny
Battleborn
Evolve

Out of that list of 12 games, only four of them (Cod, Laura Croft, LBP3 and Resident Evil) support couch co op.
WTF, really?

So my current plan is to buy my wife her own PS4 (also connected via WiFi to other PS4), buying 2 identical LED TVs during black friday and then buying the games digitally so I can share them between the PS4s

Is this the best plan for low or am I missing an option Share Play would give me

If I stick with my plan, I will have to get a PS Plus sub for my wife, correct?

Pissed that I have to make this level of investment (at least $1500) to retain couch co op play of AAA titles with my wife :(

Only one of you will need PS+. You buy the game, set her PS4 as primary for your account. She can play online just fine. You sign in to the second PS4, you can play online because you have PS+

You checked how many games support online coop?

vgamer1

Nice! What was the host upload speed? And which region was Marvel Super Heroes? Some people were reporting problems with the EU version being content locked...

My upload speed through my ps4 (Damn 2.4ghz only) is about 4MB/s, we had to turn the streaming quality to standard for fifa 15 in the rain -- too much artifacting.

Also played Cel Damage HD online (splitscreen) -- super weird for there to be a splitscreen with no one else here, but fun!

Skux

This is fantastic, you can have a friend take over while you go out for some food and help grind for you haha

Not completely accurate AT&T Internet is shit...in most major areas of population you can find better Internet for the same price (Comcast,RCN, Google Fiber etc) the only reason anyone should have AT&T is because it's the only internet provider in your area,it's the "best" option in your area or out of pure ignorance (not knowing there's a better deal in your area).

I live in Indianapolis, best speed right now is with Comcast Xfinity....but after a year, it's like $65 a month...

Otherwise, there is basically nothing cheaper than ATT with more speed, nowhere...So Im not ignorant, just the deals suck here....

No Cox, no Verizon, no Google...

Matush

Can someone make a list of content/region-locked games? Thanks in advance!
I don't think I fully understand "content/region lock". A friend of mine wanted to try me out Killzone and Pix the Cat and yet I got errors on both, despite he had them working without any problem with someone else.

Skux

People have already mentioned it but this is a huge step forward for streamer interaction. I'm surprised this hasn't come to PC in some form (although admittedly it's much easier to set up a multiplayer game with viewers on PC).

Um.. All I can say is wow.

I just played Destiny with two people.

First has a pretty bad connection, and the experience was passable. The second had a great connection and it was AMAZING.

This is the future.

I am seriously blown away.

share play has an interesting glitch.

if you play a game you don't have, and it comes out with an update, your PS4 downloads the update file...

whoops.

Skux

Who even needs demos or streams or reviews or Let's Plays anymore if you want to see what a game is about, a streamer or friend could just virtually hand you the controller to try out a game.

Every local co-op game is now an online multiplayer game. Towerfall has legs now!

It's stuff like this that actually changes gaming culture.

People have already mentioned it but this is a huge step forward for streamer interaction. I'm surprised this hasn't come to PC in some form (although admittedly it's much easier to set up a multiplayer game with viewers on PC).

And that is the power of a closed platform. The PC has not abstracted out controller inputs. Every game does those differently. So although steam can do video overlays and so on, and stream video by stealing some graphics card resources - to pass control to someone else is a whole other level of complexity and needs the groundwork to have been laid.
It might come out for a subset of future PC games that conform to some standard or other.. but to do so is herding cats.

AsfaeksBR

So Shadow of Mordor won't work?
I just said to a friend that we can test SharePlay in the weekend, so I'd put Mordor for him to play.

djblue89

Looking to try out Mordor, DriveClub and Alien tonight around 11PM EST.

Anyone would like to host a session ?

add me : djblue_89

OK, I was looking for this info, and I think you just got it for me....to clarify...

You and your buddy (local) did shareplay againt two other people?!

He did not have a buddy over.

Basically, I was host, and we both selected a character for Towerfall's MP.

My sibling joined in too. Hopefully, he could have added someone if he had a guest over at his house

From what I recall, publishers cannot opt out.

geordiemp

OK

So here is my situation...I do a majority of my gaming playing split screen or couch co op with my wife. I am currently playing Borderlands the Pre-Sequel on 360 and before that we were playing Diablo Ultimate Evil Edition on PS4

Here are the list of AAA co op games I plan on getting on the PS4 in the future:

Far Cry 4
Dragon Age Inquisition
Assassins Creed Unity
CoD Advance Warfare
Temple of Osiris
LBP3
R6:Seige
RE:Revelations 2
Sniper Elite 3
The Division
Destiny
Battleborn
Evolve

Out of that list of 12 games, only four of them (Cod, Laura Croft, LBP3 and Resident Evil) support couch co op.
WTF, really?

So my current plan is to buy my wife her own PS4 (also connected via WiFi to other PS4), buying 2 identical LED TVs during black friday and then buying the games digitally so I can share them between the PS4s

Is this the best plan for low or am I missing an option Share Play would give me

If I stick with my plan, I will have to get a PS Plus sub for my wife, correct?

Pissed that I have to make this level of investment (at least $1500) to retain couch co op play of AAA titles with my wife :(

This is what me and my 11 yr son do now...

2 TV's, 2 Ps4..

He plays on MY primary Ps4 as his own sign in. I play on the 'guest Ps4'

1 x PSN+ for primary console and my user name.

Works Great (except when there are PSN outages then the guest cannot verify digital license = so when Psn is down, only the primary console will run digital games).

However, having a full 50 inch screen side by side....and Destiny...gaming nirvana

meppi

Just played 2 hours of Diablo 3 with a friend.
Everything just worked perfectly.

He said it looks as crisp as most games would on his tv, even though it was 720p on his end instead of 1080p. He hasn't seen Diablo 3 running natively before though.
I asked him about input lag and connection issues as well as framerate problems and was baffled to hear that he said it was like playing the game right besides me for the whole session.

We both have the same internet connection btw:

Download Speed: 51200 Kbps
Upload Speed: 2560 Kbps

Really glad this option exists as he is reluctant to try new types of games and this makes it so easy to let him have a go on whatever I buy without the need to lend out discs and then not being able to play them myself later that day.

I think I just sold him on Diablo, lol.

The one thing that we both find extremely annoying though is the 1 hour limit that is in place.
With the limitations in place already I just don't see the point of this at all.
It's not like this feature is easily abusable or anything, so why limit it to one hour?
It's not as if when I lend a game out to him, he will get kicked out of his session after a certain time either, so why does Sony feel the need to put that restriction in there. :-/

I would understand that this would be used to stop people from setting up their PS4 and letting just about anyone play their games for the rest of the day or something like that.
But when you are playing a co-op session where the host is actively participating and a friend is alongside you on the "virtual couch", what's the point of disrupting the session every 60 minutes?

Overall, I'm really happy with it though.
I think I'll get him to try Driveclub next as he doesn't want to buy another racing game after wasting money on the past couple Need for Speed games that he ended up hating.

My friend just let me try out Infamous Second Son. Pretty damn smooth. Lag was noticeable if I tried to take turns too sharply while zooming around the city using neon. Otherwise, pretty amazing experience.

Visuals weren't bad either, despite 720p/30fps. I will definitely enjoy this feature in the years to come.

tanod

when is my burrito
So Shadow of Mordor won't work?
I just said to a friend that we can test SharePlay in the weekend, so I'd put Mordor for him to play.

Remote play is part of the TRC. Shareplay is the same tech. Publishers cannot block it.

Skux

The one thing that we both find extremely annoying though is the 1 hour limit that is in place.
With the limitations in place already I just don't see the point of this at all.
It's not like this feature is easily abusable or anything, so why limit it to one hour?
It's not as if when I lend a game out to him, he will get kicked out of his session after a certain time either, so why does Sony feel the need to put that restriction in there

It is very easily abusable without a time limit. Without it you could go to bed and leave your friend to level up your character on Destiny. People could sell unrestricted access to their PS4 games to grind for trophies or loot on certain games.

The host needing to restart a session after an hour curbs a lot of this and makes it ineffective for long term use. Besides, the whole point of Share Play is about social gaming and letting people play with you on a virtual couch, not for you to leave while they play through all your single player games.

I live in Indianapolis, best speed right now is with Comcast Xfinity....but after a year, it's like $65 a month...

Otherwise, there is basically nothing cheaper than ATT with more speed, nowhere...So Im not ignorant, just the deals suck here....

No Cox, no Verizon, no Google...
Comcast is probably worth the price, man. They're a pain in the ass to deal with at times, but the 50-105/10-20 Mb/sec speed is worth it. If you are a big internet user that is. I also happen to live in Indianapolis- poor eastsider here.

Top Bottom