• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Stumpokapow said:
My only other beef is that the game inexplicably separates "Play as Dr. Diggabone" and "Play as your avatar" into two totally separate modes. Progress in one is not carried over to the other. I have no idea why they'd do this.

I just tried it and I was able to play levels 30-40 as my avatar even though I had been playing as Diggabone before that.

I'm not totally sold on the controls yet; I might switch to shoulder button controls. I find the analog stick controls for rotation are both too precise (requiring tiny little nudges to rotate the right amount) and too sluggish (requiring wayyyy too much time to do any kind of rotation past 10-20 degrees).

I like the analog stick controls. I think they're supposed to be sluggish for major rotation, so you have to flip the entire map with the A button and then do minor rotations. This presents challenges later on when there are all sorts of things to worry about throughout the map that are effected by 180 degree flipping.

xbhaskarx

sparky2112 said:
I know a lot of Arcade/PSN games get their own threads, but a lot of them don't so I'm always kinda befuddled by the lack of feedback here. Nobody bought Greed Corp? I did, but fell asleep last night before giving it a spin. It got an 8.8 from IGN, so I'm expecting it to rock.

I bought Greed Corp, I've played 4-5 levels and I'm just now getting the hang of it. It's quite good, but I'm enjoying Lazy Raiders more.
Maybe Greed Corp will get its own thread once it comes out on PSN later today...

Son of Godzilla said:
I'm starting to think that XBLA is maybe hyper-mega-super-overexposed. There have been great games released almost every week this year so far, the entire year if you actually like KrissX. And it looks like they've managed to fill up March with goodness too. It's just far, far too much to keep up with. Hell, it's been too much to keep up with for a long time now actually.

Yeah, the recent string of good games (Serious Sam, Chime, Darwinia+, Winterbottom, Lazy Raiders) have received almost zero fanfare relative to their quality it seems. Of course sales are far more important than GAF hype, so we'll see if consumers are overwhelmed by the glut of games or not.

Son of Godzilla said:
I'm starting to think that XBLA is maybe hyper-mega-super-overexposed. There have been great games released almost every week this year so far, the entire year if you actually like KrissX. And it looks like they've managed to fill up March with goodness too. It's just far, far too much to keep up with. Hell, it's been too much to keep up with for a long time now actually.
Best service/selection on console, although purchase wise they'll be there for some time so I just space buys over time.

It's gotten to the point where I actually have a backlog of XBLA games, which I never used to have. It's all the sales. Since the Christmas run of sales up through this week I've purchased Monkey Island, the Maw, Shadow Complex, Splosion Man and Duke 3D -- most of which I've hardly touched. I also bought Chime, but I have been playing the hell out of that one.:D

Though it's impossible to control, I would like to see GAF as a community create fewer dedicated threads for XBLA games and focus a bit more of the discussion in this thread. This thing has become a legacy thread and while Shard and Rlan and some others have done a great job of keeping the news fresh it seems like the actual conversation about GAMES we used to have here has died a bit. Obviously your Perfect Darks and Shadow Complexes are going to get dedicated threads, but I personally would like to see more talk in here about the Chimes, Darwinias and Winterbottoms.

Just my opinion...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
RadarScope1 said:
It's gotten to the point where I actually have a backlog of XBLA games, which I never used to have. It's all the sales. Since the Christmas run of sales up through this week I've purchased Monkey Island, the Maw, Shadow Complex, Splosion Man and Duke 3D -- most of which I've hardly touched. I also bought Chime, but I have been playing the hell out of that one.:D

Though it's impossible to control, I would like to see GAF as a community create fewer dedicated threads for XBLA games and focus a bit more of the discussion in this thread. This thing has become a legacy thread and while Shard and Rlan and some others have done a great job of keeping the news fresh it seems like the actual conversation about GAMES we used to have here has died a bit. Obviously your Perfect Darks and Shadow Complexes are going to get dedicated threads, but I personally would like to see more talk in here about the Chimes, Darwinias and Winterbottoms.

Just my opinion...
Yeah, I agree that there is no need for official threads except for the super-duper hyped games, like Perfect Dark etc.

Stuff like Darwinia, the thread barely got 50 posts, and I feel there'd be more discussion about games like that if it was all contained in this one thread, as often people aren't sure whether to post in here, or find an official thread.

RadarScope1 said:

Just my opinion...

I bought the exact games except for Duke 3D, we have similar tastes and I hardly touched half of these except for Chime :D

Lot of game sales and new releases, hard to keep up with especially with the retail games that are coming out. From now on, I think I am only going to buy arcade games when they go on sale unless they are really good or have exceptional value or donates to charity like 'Chime'. That way I think I will have more time to breathe, this year is already a burn for the wallet and it barely started, FUCK.

Liberty4all

Banned
Multiple issues

1. Too many releases. Most people can't keep up

2. The realization that multiplayer XBLA communties barely last and are often Dead on Arrival (this means that the multiplayer crowd have stopped buying)

3. We're in the "mature" part of this gen of consoles. Massive glut of triple AAA retail titles + price drops on retail games often within days of release + massive backlog + most people owning more than one console = no time for XBLA or PSN titles unless they are HUGE.

In the old days (aside from November) we were lucky to get one good retail game a month ... now it feels like it's November EVERY month.

4. Overall price increases in XBLA games causing some people to pass on new XBLA titles

5. People waiting for sales

6. Increase in full retail game DLC eating into full XBLA game sales share

We used to complain that releases were too few ... I kinda miss the days now of looking forward to one a week and wondering if it was going to be a 'must buy' or a 'pass'.

^
I agree with every single thing you mentioned in there, everybody got their hands full. You are right about the multiplayer part, the community for the XBLA/PSN mutliplayer dies pretty quick unless it is a multiplayer only game like Battlefield 1943.

Pakkidis

What games do you guys recommend. I have shadow complex, defense grid, trails hd, braid and portal still alive. I really enjoyed all of them. Is their any stand out games you guys really like. I have tried a few games out but most of them are complete crap.

Saerk

I like Catan myself. There seems to be a decent amount of people still playing. Some other good games are Castle Crashers and Splosion Man.

xbhaskarx

No way, that would definitely result in even fewer comments then there are now, because it would be limited to people who read and post in this XBLA thread. Unless a mod was willing to modify the thread title EVERY WEEK, new XBLA games would get no name exposure on the Gaming front page (which obviously gets far far more eyeballs than the last few pages of the XBLA thread).

I think the best option is a weekly XBL thread similar to the weekly PSN thread, covering ALL new content in the Game Marketplace: XBLA games, game demos, Games on Demand, Rock Band songs, other DLC, the better Indie Games, Game Room, etc.

The thread titles could all have the same structure so they would be easily searchable, for example this week's could be "Xbox Live Marketplace content for February 21 - 27, 2010 (Lazy Raiders, Greed Corp, Fret Nice)"

Why don't we start doing that? Screw it, there are no official threads for any of the three new XBLA games, I'll do it this week to test out the idea if no one else will. It doesn't need to be beautifully designed like the PSN thread, it just needs to contain all the relevant information...

Son of Godzilla said:

There hasn't been anything my taste on the service in quite a while. Last game I bought was Qix ++. I showed some interest in Alien Episode 1 (forgot the whole title, it's a Team 17 game), 0 Day Attack on Earth (really gave this one a chance, but the broken online killed it), Death by Cube (surprisingly ended up hating this, I had high hopes). I haven't bought a game in ages.

I don't even really care about the block party, although I think Toy Soldiers and Game Room look really good.

Megaman 10, After Burner Climax, RayStorm HD, Metal Slug 7. There's my block party.

xbhaskarx said:
No way, that would definitely result in even fewer comments then there are now, because it would be limited to people who read and post in this XBLA thread. Unless a mod was willing to modify the thread title EVERY WEEK, new XBLA games would get no name exposure on the Gaming front page (which obviously gets far far more eyeballs than the last few pages of the XBLA thread).

I think the best option is a weekly XBL thread similar to the weekly PSN thread, covering ALL new content in the Game Marketplace: XBLA games, game demos, Games on Demand, Rock Band songs, other DLC, the better Indie Games, Game Room, etc.

The thread titles could all have the same structure so they would be easily searchable, for example this week's could be "Xbox Live Marketplace content for February 21 - 27, 2010 (Lazy Raiders, Greed Corp, Fret Nice)"

Why don't we start doing that? Screw it, there are no official threads for any of the three new XBLA games, I'll do it this week to test out the idea if no one else will. It doesn't need to be beautifully designed like the PSN thread, it just needs to contain all the relevant information...

This is an excellent idea.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, I tend to do official threads for the bigger releases only these days because nobody posts in those midcard game threads. I usually post a news thread about the release date and that seems to work just as well. The simple fact of the matter is the world doesn't need an official Fret Nice or Greed Corp thread. As far as weekly threads goes, I hate them, I hate the very idea of them, for the XBLM that is too much time and effort on things nobody cares about, like the TV and Movie section or the Games On Demand channel.

xbhaskarx

Shard said:
Yea, I tend to do official threads for the bigger releases only these days because nobody posts in those midcard game threads. I usually post a news thread about the release date and that seems to work just as well. The simple fact of the matter is the world doesn't need an official Fret Nice or Greed Corp thread. As far as weekly threads goes, I hate them, I hate the very idea of them, for the XBLM that is too much time and effort on things nobody cares about, like the TV and Movie section or the Games On Demand channel.
No one said anything about TV shows and movies. This is the gaming side of GAF, and those are not games. Which is why they're not in the XBL Game Marketplace.
Adding Games on Demand would be too much work? There's usually one new game per week. And they're all old and well known games so there's no need to provide a ton of info, just tell people what the game is and how much it costs.
Again, it seems to work for PSN, so why not XBL?

Please don't create new individual threads for Lazy Raiders and Greed Corp now. You already refused to create those threads when it came up in the Scrap Metal thread, and I said I would create a thread for all the new XBL content for the week, just a few posts above yours.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
xbhaskarx said:
No one said anything about TV shows and movies. This is the gaming side of GAF, and those are not games. Which is why they're not in the XBL Game Marketplace.
Adding Games on Demand would be too much work? There's usually one new game per week. And they're all old and well known games so there's no need to provide a ton of info, just tell people what the game is and how much it costs.
Again, it seems to work for PSN, so why not XBL?

Please don't create new individual threads for Lazy Raiders and Greed Corp now. You already refused to create those threads when it came up in the Scrap Metal thread, and I said I would create a thread for all the new XBL content for the week, just a few posts above yours.

It is too late for that, already did Greed Corp, now working on Lazy Raiders, if the people really want these threads, then I do it.

xbhaskarx

Shard said:
ALright, fine, you want your Greed Corp thread, and your Lazy Raiders thread, I can do those.
Why not create a weekly Game Marketplace thread instead? What's the problem with trying that out once, just to see how it goes?

xbhaskarx

Shard said:
It is too late for that, already did Greed Corp, now working on Lazy Raiders, if the people really want these threads, then I do it.
Okay but if you say these are minor games that few people care about then why not just combine all three of this week's XBLA games into one thread?

I'd suggest doing a monthly thread. Or something. Just keep updated versions of these on GAF. I know that, before I spent the ten seconds it took to find that page, I loathed having to look for that information.

You could keep track of demos too if you really wanted.

Edit: Holy shit this thread is from the damn launch. I was going to suggest just keeping the OP of this thread updated with current XBLA release info, but uh...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Beause it is the way I do things, one game, one official thread, but now we get to see if people actually use those threads, do you really want one for Fret Nice as well?

As far as weekly threads goes, I don't think we need them, not yet, plus if you want to do an overall marketplace thread, well, that takes much more time and resources to track.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Son of Godzilla said:
I'd suggest doing a monthly thread. Or something. Just keep updated versions of these on GAF. I know that, before I spent the ten seconds it took to find that page, I loathed having to look for that information.

You could keep track of demos too if you really wanted.

Edit: Holy shit this thread is from the damn launch. I was going to suggest just keeping the OP of this thread updated with current XBLA release info, but uh...

Yea, the OP doesn't really post anymore.

Saerk

Bamelin said:
Whoever it was that said they like Catan you REALLY need to look at Greed Corp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7dpdgPtjco&feature=player_embedded

I made an official thread over at PA, thinking about cutting and pasting the whole thing over here as well: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=113340

I love Catan. I actually got all the achievements for it which takes a long time with that get 1000 vp in ranked games achievement. I had 77 wins and 108 losses by the time I got that. Greed Corp looks interesting. I'll definitely give it a try.

Liberty4all

Banned
Shard said:

Sorry Shard I cut out of this thread and made a Greed Corp thread before I saw your post here. Don't want you to think I was being an asshole

Shard said:
Beause it is the way I do things, one game, one official thread, but now we get to see if people actually use those threads, do you really want one for Fret Nice as well?

As far as weekly threads goes, I don't think we need them, not yet, plus if you want to do an overall marketplace thread, well, that takes much more time and resources to track.

I think what xbhaskarx was talking about is a weekly thread something similar to the weekly PSN thread that has all the releases for the week, like the Arcade games and DLC's, the important stuff, I don't think we need to include information about trailers and stuff...

However I do agree with the fact that it takes more time for XBL considering that the store is updated everyday as opposed to a Thursday update for the PSN.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Bamelin said:
Sorry Shard I cut out of this thread and made a Greed Corp thread before I saw your post here. Don't want you to think I was being an asshole

Eh, don't worry about it, the threads are there and will be until one gets locked.

mujun

I agree with xbhaskarx that there should be a weekly thread. I'd actually been wondering recently why there isn't one.

Also thanks Shard for doing all this work and making threads for the games.

Weekly thread would just need to hit like Monday or Tuesday and get a final update like Friday and list all the demos, XBLA games, addons and Games on Demand stuff. Maybe also Indie games and people could do themes or something as well if they wanted to in individual posts to help the thread creator out.

Gowans

Truer greedcorps at the wrong time, need to be in a party with guys playing on that one.

Maybe it's my man flu or tiredness but I'm finding lazy raiders quite thraputic & hypnotic.

mujun said:
I agree with xbhaskarx that there should be a weekly thread. I'd actually been wondering recently why there isn't one.
Because XBLA stuff is usually known about months in advance and the development can be followed.

Most Nintendo stuff just appears from nowhere four hours before release.

xbhaskarx

omg rite said:
Oh WTF. A month later?

3135fkx.gif

Captain N

cjelly said:
Obviously Microsoft didn't want it to devour any potential Block Party games' sales. :p

I bet some of it has to do with Capcom not giving them the game a month early and Microsoft wanted XBLA only titles.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Seems more like Mircosoft just wanted Microsoft titles in the Block Party as all 4 games are being published by them, you also got Zeno Clash coming in at the same time.as Mega Man 10. This is the downside to these gatherings, if you are not in, you have to wait your turn.

bathala

Banned
Make xbla thread like the wrastling thread where its monthly. OP will have all the release date.

Weekly thread might get 100-200 post

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Jonnyram said:
Are these dates widely known yet?

Toy Soldiers
3 March
1200 pts

Scrap Metal
10 March
1200 pts

1200 really is the new 800 :(

Yes, yes they are, Miocrosoft has been plastering them all over the place with the Block Party promotion, we also know that Perfect Dark, Game Room, Zeno Clash and Mega Man 10 arrive after those games.

HadesGigas said:
Comic Jumper preview/media at IGN

http://xboxlivemedia.ign.com/xboxlive/image/article/107/1072480/Cover_001copy_1267145655.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
His pistol reminds me of gunhead, I approve.

[QUOTE=Shard]Yes, yes they are, Miocrosoft has been plastering them all over the place with the Block Party promotion, we also know that Perfect Dark, Game Room, Zeno Clash and Mega Man 10 arrive after those games.[/QUOTE]
When was Afterburner Climax announced for? I thought it was sometime shortly after PD D:

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
sweetvar26 said:
Sad but true, wish all the arcade games are still 400/800 Microsoft points :(
...then we'd just be getting a ton of emulated retro games. No, thanks.

The prices may have risen, but the quality bar is so much higher now it's not even funny.

cjelly said:

The prices may have risen, but the quality bar is so much higher now it's not even funny.

Agreed. I have no problem paying 1200pts if the game is actually worth like and has high production values like Toy Soldiers and Scrap Metal.

The poor devs have to make a little bit of profit (if they're lucky) after all.

Now big publishers and big devs trying to assrape with ridiculous prices for turd sandwiches posing as games. Yeah, they can fuck off.

sciplore

HadesGigas said:
Comic Jumper preview/media at IGN

Cannot wait for this I love to see the next things coming from Twisted Pixel especially when they reference their past games like this:

comic-jumper-the-adventures-of-captain-smiley-20100225103906634.jpg

cjelly said:

I agree as the rise of quality get higher its so cheap to expect it to stay the same price as before. With more genres and bigger games come to XBLA clinging to the 800 price point is pointless.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diablohead said:
His pistol reminds me of gunhead, I approve.

When was Afterburner Climax announced for? I thought it was sometime shortly after PD D:

No announced release date but it looks like After Burner is gong to be released in April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom