• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
rohlfinator said:
Wow, that's looking really sweet. It seems like just the type of game that works really well on XBLA.
I played rocket riot a whole bunch at GDC. I don't want the devs to get mad at me, so i wont give anything away other than: I really enjoyed it. It reminds me of Soldat, which is a massive compliment, except obviously with different controls.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mr Killemgood said:
Somewhat. It's more of "develop a game that will get talked about post-launch"

Again, great example in N+ as it's the only game older than a month still charting in the top-10 reliabily. It's doing well (nearing 150,000 units) because:

1) It got hype pre-launch due to the pedigree of the title, and the fact it had a great marketng demo in the flash version N
2) It's been well known in the public and media, and got great reviews and reccomendations
3) Since it's a fun game, WOM is helping drive continued sales of the title.

When you look at the rest of the top-10, you find on any given week, titles that people "know" of - games that random joe-first-time-on-XBLA is going to know, like Doom, Street Fighter, Bomberman, Uno, ect. They know what they're buying. But with startup and newer IPs, they might not know what's new, and that can cause lowered conversion rates.
I agree with everything you said, except for the part about new IP. It can be more of a challenge to top the charts, but if the quality is there and the demo is a lot of fun the game will move units and generate its own WOM (Geometry Wars). Also, more devs should start experimenting with including demos of future XBLA games as mini games in full release titles.

pilonv1

Costanza said:
I just bought Elements of Destruction on a whim. It's pretty fun.

It's ok but there's no way I'm spending 800 points on it. I like the idea but it seems pretty limited and repetitive.

Sean

Banned
ESRB Reins In Premature Game Leaks

A publisher contact forwarded Next-Gen editors a memo from the ESRB on Thursday outlining a new policy that will crack down on early reveals of unreleased games on the organization's website.

A new functionality in the ESRB's online submission form will allow publishers to choose a date when a title is eligible to be uploaded on the ratings website.

The ESRB said in its memo that the move was made at the request of publishers, who were probably irked when a game was announced outside of their marketing schedule.

If the space is left blank, the game and its rating will be eligible to post on ESRB's site 30 days after it has been rated.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11025&Itemid=2

Damn.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pirates Vs. Ninja Dodgeball coming in July

http://www.360sync.com/2008/06/19/pirates-vs-ninjas-dodgeball-coming-next-month

According to a recent massive media update from Gamecock that gave us a ton of information, there was a hidden gem amongst all the information. Along with screenshots, there was a tiny little phrase that indicated we would be likely seeing Pirates vs. Ninjas Dodgeball sometime in July. Here’s the exact phrase, that is hard to misinterpret:

Pirates vs. Ninjas™ Dodgeball will be coming next month and will settle the score once and for all.

If that isn’t convincing enough, we don’t know what is. But as we know from previous delays from the certification process on XBLA, this could change in an instant. We dearly hope not.

Next up, we’ve got 3 new screenshots of PvND environments. Labeled Factory, Forest and Graveyard we’re going to assume those are different levels that will be playable in the game. We’re eagerly awaiting this game and it is great to hear that it is coming next month! Now go ogle the screenshots!

aku:jiki

rohlfinator said:
Wow, that's looking really sweet. It seems like just the type of game that works really well on XBLA.
Oh! I totally forgot about that game. Me and a colleague got totally addicted to that on PartnerNet, at least for a day (which is a long time for us to stick with one game). Tons of fun with an absolutely awesome graphics style and good controls. Definitely worth looking out for! (PvN Dodgeball and Schizoid suck though.)

Damn, do I need internet access at home so I can get caught back up on XBLA. :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
aku:jiki said:
Oh! I totally forgot about that game. Me and a colleague got totally addicted to that on PartnerNet, at least for a day (which is a long time for us to stick with one game). Tons of fun with an absolutely awesome graphics style and good controls. Definitely worth looking out for! (PvN Dodgeball and Schizoid suck though.)

Damn, do I need internet access at home so I can get caught back up on XBLA. :(
How could Schizoid possibly suck? It looks like an even purer version of Ikaruga. If it's anything like N+ (extremely difficult but addicting), it would be worth it for online co-op alone.

Gowans

Ticket to Ride hear I come, wooo! Choo Choo!

SHIT!!! Im at a work conference on Wed & Thur SHIT!

GAF we need to sort a tourney/league out in this, loved our Catan & Carcasonne sessions.

Mr Jared

Kafel said:
I've discovered Commando 3 with 2 other players this week and it was great.

Yeah, I picked it up in lieu of the SF2 beta (I'm weak, I know) and had a blast with a friend of mine. We went with the hardest difficulty first but ended up failing on the final boss. It's not too hard, but god damn does he have a lot of health.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
New XBLA Achievements uncovered

Rocket Riot:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/rocket-riot/achievements/

Go Forth and Multiplay 10
Play an Xbox Live multiplayer match.

Nice Beating You 10
Play single player campaign mode and reach level 10. Defeat Blockbeard to unlock this achievement.

One Meeellion Blocks 10
Destroy a total of 1,000,000 blocks. All blocks you destroyed from all levels are counted.

I’ll Show You Fits Of Rage 15
In any level, online or offline, kill 20 enemies within one minute to unlock this achievement.

You’re Like Some Kind of Robot 15
Kill a total of 50 enemies with a longshot. All longshots through the entire game are counted.

Been There, Shot That 15
Use all 20 power-ups in the game, including the red power-downs. The tutorial level doesn’t count.

Two Thumb Master 20
Finish the single player campaign.

On A Gamer’s Diet 20
Shoot 50 zombies, 50 robots, 50 pirates and 50 soldiers.

Natural Born Gamer 20
Shoot 5000 enemies in total.

The Things I’ve Seen 20
Shoot every type of enemy at least once.

You Can Handle the Riot 20
Reach level 50 in endurance or co-op mode.

One Shot, Thrice The Score 25
Kill 3 enemies with one shot.

Coffeetime Crosswords

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/coffeetime-crosswords/achievements/

Sort:
Break 100,000! 30
Get a score of 100,000 or more!

The Big 180! 30
Clear a total of 180 puzzles.

Two Brains Are Better Than One 30
Get a total score of 30,000 or more on a puzzle in co-op.

Piece of Cake 5
Clear 20 "Super Easy" crosswords of the same type.

No Sweat 10
Clear 20 "Easy" crosswords of the same type.

No Chump 15
Clear 20 "Medium" crosswords of the same type.

The Real Deal 20
Clear 20 "Difficult" crosswords of the same type.

Perfect! Great Way to Start! 5
Clear one puzzle "Super Easy" without making a single mistake.

Perfect! Getting Good! 10
Clear one puzzle "Easy" without making a single mistake.

Perfect! Getting Serious! 15
Clear one puzzle "Medium" without making a single mistake.

Perfect! Beat That! 20
Clear one puzzle "Difficult" without making a single mistake.

The Beginning 10
Complete your first puzzle in either normal mode or time attack mode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Vigilante 8 Arcade Update:

http://v8arcade.com/media/revealed-stag-pickup-beezwax

Revealed: Stag Pickup / Beezwax
Wednesday, June 18th, 2008
Woohoo, our last character revealed (excluding secret & DLC)! Though lame to drive, everybody seems to remember the nutty old beekeeper’s Stag and his mutant bees, so we just had to resurrect him…
v8arcade_reveal_08_beezwax.jpg

Bio:
A traveling bee keeper from Arizona, Beezwax would trespass regularly onto military land in search of the finest Saguaro honey. But when his beloved bees mutated as a result of radiation, he joined the Coyotes to get his revenge against the government …

Favorite Drink: Fermented Agave Juice

Special Weapon: Mutant Swarm!

Vehicle Stats:*

STRENGTH: Medium (Mass 3,674 lbs)

ACCELERATION: Low (0-30 mph in 1.9 secs)

TOP SPEED: Low

RADAR EVASION: Medium

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I can't wait to get my hands on castle crashers. currently playing through alien hominid and loving it. CC looks like it's raising the level of awesome to an entirely new... level :D

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
open_mouth_ said:
I can't wait to get my hands on castle crashers. currently playing through alien hominid and loving it. CC looks like it's raising the level of awesome to an entirely new... level :D
I'm pretty excited for it, too. AH is so hard it's almost ridiculous, which meant I had to play through on easy and use about a billion continues, but the animation, art style, huge/awesome bosses and everything else made it totally worth it. I'm sure CC will be more of the same, which I can't wait for.

I downloaded Roogoo; it's pretty good. It definitely gets hard fairly fast. Some of the levels are really lengthy, though, and not in a difficult way -- more of an "OMG when is this going to end" way. And, I know I'm not very good at the game, but getting par times seems really, really tough. Another thing -- I've noticed that the sound quality is absolutely terrible. I know they compress everything to make the XBLA download size smaller, but it's just noticeably bad in this case... my speakers sound like tin cans.

borsdy

Banned
Calamachino said:
XBLA needs more 4 player local multiplayer games.

Sure, Worms, Bomberman, and N+ are pretty awesome, but I want MORE!!! :D

Can anyone recommended any good 4 player games I may have missed?

I didn't know N+ had four player, I think I'll look at that now :)

There is other XBLA party games like Carcassone, TMNT '89 and that free one on marketplace called aegis wing. I also own small arms and gauntlet but they're both not very good in my opinion.

C4Lukins said:
Castle Crashers looks so cool. It is nice when a developer sits down and decides to make something awesome.
It isn't out yet so you don't know that it is awesome. Also, all but the most cynical developers, musicians, authors, artists & designers set out to create something awesome, it just doesn't always work out that way.

radjago

segarr said:
Speaking of 4 player local multiplayer games, Teamxbox has 4 exclusive videos of Rocket Riot. http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/2240/Rocket-Riot-Exclusive-Videos/p1/
Speaking of 4 player local multiplayer, does Ticket To Ride have it?

I think the service does have a problem with marketing, especially with original IP. Geometry Wars seems like an anomaly to me. It was the best game at launch, retail or XBLA, and got huge word of mouth. What other original games succeeded that were created for XBLA? Assault Heroes?

SuperBonk

Another_visitor said:
It isn't out yet so you don't know that it is awesome. Also, all but the most cynical developers, musicians, authors, artists & designers set out to create something awesome, it just doesn't always work out that way.
You just sucked all the fun out of his statement.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
segarr said:
Speaking of 4 player local multiplayer games, Teamxbox has 4 exclusive videos of Rocket Riot. http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/2240/Rocket-Riot-Exclusive-Videos/p1/
Rocket Riot is much more of a twitch shooter than I expected. In fact, it might be the fastest paced multiplayer game on XBLA. Rockets are rapid fire and don't seem to do any splash damage, and you get unlimited jet pack. But I still hope they give you the option to setup a more tactical game.

Kuroyume

Banned
What are the chances that Alien Hominid HD will be added to the hits line next? I want to get it now, but with Castle Crashers coming out soon I kind of figure that maybe they'll add it on there.

Kuroyume said:
What are the chances that Alien Hominid HD will be added to the hits line next? I want to get it now, but with Castle Crashers coming out soon I kind of figure that maybe they'll add it on there.

I'm kind of waiting around for that, too. I'm not sure it will happen though. But it would be good little bit of marketing just before CC comes out.

DuckRacer

Glix said:
Has there been any info on a Braid release date yet? I've been looking all over and I'm unable to find it.
On QT3 the developer's having some people playtesting the game, and from the way it's all sounding it should be coming out in a couple months or so.

Xabora

Duck said:
On QT3 the developer's having some people playtesting the game, and from the way it's all sounding it should be coming out in a couple months or so.
Congrats duck on post 13000 on the XBLA thread!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Xabora said:
Congrats duck on post 13000 on the XBLA thread!
Don't you mean LakeEarth?

edit: There is no post zero. nvm

edit-edit: Wait, that shouldn't matter in this context. LakeEarth is still post 13000.

Brakara

Duck said:

Yeah, apparently it still has to go through cert.

CapKraig

In regards to question earlier about XBLA demos.. As someone else mentioned, all XBLA games must have a demo. A PSN demo of Commando 3 is on the way.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ticket to Ride Achievements suggest a change is coming in the current structuring of XBLA Achievements.

http://www.360sync.com/2008/06/22/ticket-to-ride-achievements

Well, we got a ticket to ride, and we’ll be playing it soon on the Xbox Live Arcade. Yet until that time, its time for another sneak peak at some achievements!

Ticket To Ride will launch with an unusual 15 achievements for 250 points. It seems an unannounced achievement policy change has taken place, since games are supposed to launch with only 12, and add more with DLC. Yet, we aren’t complaining! You’ll need to win some games online, play the tutorial, and even find the secret achievement to get all all of them! The full list below!
Achievements:

Basic Training
Complete the Tutorial.

Train Drain
Play all of your Trains during the match.

No Train, No Gain
Win 1 Ranked match playing Ticket to Ride™.

The Long Haul
Attain the Longest Continuous Route bonus card 5 times.

One Track Mind
Make sure all of your Routes are connected by the end of the match.

The Big Score
Score at least 150 points in a single match.

Canadian Content
In a Xbox LIVE match, connect all Canadian cities and win.

All Aboard!
Finish a match in which you have completed all of your Destination Tickets.

Loco Motive
Complete 8 or more Destination Tickets during a single match.

I Think I Can!
Win 25 Ranked matches playing Ticket to Ride™.

Master Conductor
Complete 50 matches.

European Track Star
Complete each of the 6 European Destination Tickets worth 20 or more points.

Au Naturel
Win a Ticket to Ride Europe™ match without playing any Stations.

The Ticket Master
Keep all 5 Destination Tickets at the beginning of a 1910 Mega Game and win.

Secret Achievement
Continue playing to unlock this secret achievement.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Happy Tree Friends False Alarm! and Ticket to Ride Launching on Xbox LIVE Arcade This Wednesday!

The popular and twisted Web series, “Happy Tree Friends False Alarm!™” and the award-winning board game “Ticket to Ride” will debut on Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (1:00 a.m. PDT).

“Happy Tree Friends False Alarm!” incorporates the twisted humor and mayhem from the cartoon Web series as the cute and cuddly Happy Tree Friends face one gory, horrible disaster after another! Players assume the persona of Lumpy the moose, who must save his clumsy friends by blasting open areas when they are trapped or deep freezing them before they stumble into danger. “Happy Tree Friends False Alarm!” features 10 exclusive scenarios, ranging from a mine shaft to a candy factory, with three frantic levels and new cut-scenes. Just like the hit Web series, players must try to keep their pals safe, but with this accident-prone group, catastrophic mishaps are inevitable.

Developed by Stainless Games and published by SEGA, “Happy Tree Friends False Alarm!” will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated M for Mature by the ESRB.

All aboard! Get your “Ticket to Ride” the rails from coast to coast on this exciting train adventure. Based on the award-winning board game, “Ticket to Ride” features simple rules and fast play, promising fun for the whole family on Xbox LIVE Arcade.

Plan your routes and connect your cities across the country to become the ultimate traveler, earning points as you claim your tracks and complete your Tickets for your chance at the big score. “Ticket to Ride” supports play with up to five people on Xbox LIVE or four people on the same Xbox 360 as you lay track from coast to coast. “Ticket to Ride” features Leaderboards, Achievements and multiple levels of AI players to keep the challenges coming. Who will win when the steam clears? Get your “Ticket to Ride” and see this Wednesday!

Created by Vancouver-based publisher, Playful Entertainment, “Ticket to Ride” will be available worldwide (except Hong Kong or Taiwan) for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB.

For more details on “Happy Tree Friends False Alarm!” and “Ticket to Ride,” please visit http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/livearcadexbox360.

My Ticket to Ride Official Thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11681003&posted=1#post11681003

My Happy Tree Friends: Flase Alarm Official Thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310624&highlight=Happy+Tree+Friends

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ESRB Watch:

Rocket Riot ValuSoft Everyone Cartoon Violence Xbox 360
Cribbage Vivendi Games Everyone No Descriptors Xbox 360
Ticket to Ride Next Level Games Everyone No Descriptors Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom