• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF, which do you prefer---Big eyed Spiderman or small eyed Spiderman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

usmrequiem1.jpg

Ultimate_spiderman.jpg

ultimatespidermanvol2.jpg

ultimate-comics-spider-man.jpg

or

bnd3.JPG

Spiderman_Amazing_comic_hero_Peter_Parker.jpg

3635new_storyimage0968172_full.jpg

amazing_spider-man_588.jpg

The second batch of art is better, but I far prefer the big eye'd look. Much more fun and expressive.

Salsa

Italian Spiderman.

tough choice, id go with the small-eye for nostalgia factor, but i really like big-eyed too, mhhh...

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I prefer the smaller eyes. Also, I never understood the point of the webs underneath his armpits. I know he had it in the earlier comic books, but I've always found them to be a little out of place.

gdt

Jangaroo said:
I prefer the smaller eyes. Also, I never understood the point of the webs underneath his armpits. I know he had it in the earlier comic books, but I've always found them to be a little out of place.

Yeah, I was just about to ask that...

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Does McFarlane's Spiderman count as big eyed or small eyed? I'd say big eyed, but they're not as big as the ones in the OP. Anyways, that's the Spiderman look I prefer.

Spiderman1.jpg

mrkgoo

Erico said:
Does McFarlane's Spiderman count as big eyed or small eyed? I'd say big eyed, but they're not as big as the ones in the OP. Anyways, that's the Spiderman look I prefer.

Spiderman1.jpg

I'm pretty sure Todd's Spider-man STARTED the big eyes. And the funky 'feet-over-his-head' acrobatic positions.

Wiseblade

I prefer Big eyed. Maybe that just comes from my preference to ultimate spidey compared the MU web head in recent years.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The second batch in the OP is the perfect median to me. Not too small, but still very expressive.

I'm not really a fan of old-school spidey eyes:

2niaej8.jpg

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Jangaroo said:
It was grandfathered in from the original interpretation of Spider-Man, as you see here in prominance:

2dcbzp4.jpg

And they may have had the purpose of recreating a flying technique known as Ballooning. Whether that was the intention or not, I don't know, but the phenomenon is true enough.

Oh, and small eyes.

Jangaroo said:
Also, I never understood the point of the webs underneath his armpits. I know he had it in the earlier comic books, but I've always found them to be a little out of place.

It's so that his deodorant can hang from his pits like dew.

I think the Romitas draw the quintessential Spidey. (small to medium). Supposedly, the web flaps on the side held his suit together whenever it'd get torn (which was often), but even that explanation didn't make sense to me. I've always, always hated Mark Bagley's art style. It's a poor man's McFarlane, who's great at caricatures, flat faces, and hawking.

castlegar

Big for ultimate, small for regular. Visually it separates the two nicely, and provides a fitting contrast between each their general theme and tone

VALIS

Small small small small small small small small small oh my god small.

Ditko, Romita, Roger Stern, too.

This is one of the few times I will ever say this but, McFarlane got it right. His version is big but not ridiculous like the Bagley one from Ultimatum. The Ultimate ones are a bit chibi but it works in that version of Spidey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom