• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OK, How Big Of A Memory Stick Do I Need To Put Full Movies And TV Shows On PSP?

Is 512 big enough too or does it need to be 1 gig? Also is there a good place to read up on encoding tv shows and dvds?

Soul4ger

512 is fine for like three episodes of a 30 minute show, depending on their file size, compression. I plan on putting anime on it, and I can manage two to three episodes, depending on the show. If you need more than that (I just plan on clearing them off and putting more on every day), then 1 GB is the way to go.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I would say 256mb minimum, with 512mb and 1gb being the best choices if you're willing to spend the money on them.

I got a 256mb stick duo when I first got my PSP, and was able to fit 4-5 TV shows at a time (mostly anime), since you can compress them down to about 30-40mb in size using lower quality settings for framerate (use 15fps) and lower sound encoding settings. I only tried putting one full movie on the stick; ripped a DVD and used a program to convert to an AVI made for a Palm OS device, then converted it again to MP4, but the picture was terrible since the PSP is three times bigger than the Palm device I have! The movie ended up being 200mb or so in size.

Got a 1gb stick earlier this year and it's been awesome, but the $150 price made me cry. :)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Soul4ger said:
512 is fine for like three episodes of a 30 minute show, depending on their file size, compression. I plan on putting anime on it, and I can manage two to three episodes, depending on the show. If you need more than that (I just plan on clearing them off and putting more on every day), then 1 GB is the way to go.
holy crap.. that is a lot of wasted compression...

anime at DVD quialty on a TV/computer is like 175MB/episode. shrinking that down to PSP size you can probably go down to around 100-115MB/episode..

a 512MB card should net you around 4-5 episodes at DVD quality.. you can probably even do 5-6 episodes and still have it more than acceptable quality. a two hour movie though might only be limited to one.. you will probably have space left over but nowhere near enough to fit another movie on there.

Soul4ger

borghe said:
holy crap.. that is a lot of wasted compression...

anime at DVD quialty on a TV/computer is like 175MB/episode. shrinking that down to PSP size you can probably go down to around 100-115MB/episode..

a 512MB card should net you around 4-5 episodes at DVD quality.. you can probably even do 5-6 episodes and still have it more than acceptable quality. a two hour movie though might only be limited to one.. you will probably have space left over but nowhere near enough to fit another movie on there.

I was doing simple guesswork. I don't actually have the PSP yet, just the files, their size, and how much space I know I'd have on a memory stick. It's good to know that compression for the PSP format shrinks them so much. I had no idea. 512 is turning out to be the best choice for me after all, I guess.

Top Bottom