• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay. What the f*ck is going on with Wii U hard locks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Second lockup today in Nintendo Land (first F-Zero during calibration, second one during Metroid while playing). We've put about 40 hours on the system since we picked it up on Sunday, playing a lot of ZombiU, Nintendo Land and NSMBU. And plenty of screwing around with the MiiVerse.

Hoping for a patch soon. Locking up in Nintendo Land is one thing, but losing a lot of progress in ZombiU, or NSMBU would be a lot worse.

M_A_C

I just played a bunch more Nintendoland and did have any more lockups. Hopefully they fixed it on their end.

BooJoh

Wait, are there any lights during the hard crashes? Imagine coining the next RROD or YLOD. Internet infamy awaits.

There are no special lights, just typically a frozen screen and a blaring squelch of madness coming from the TV, Gamepad, or both.

Just to be clear, AFAIK these hard locks are not bricking systems unless they occur during a critical point (like during an update or something) where any loss of power would brick the system. When they occur during gameplay you have to unplug the system to reset it, but when you plug it back in it boots right up. There's a big difference between a lockup and a brick.

Wait, are there any lights during the hard crashes? Imagine coining the next RROD or YLOD. Internet infamy awaits.

As stated these incidents are entirely software related and don't break systems.

Wii U's equivalent is the Blinking Blue Light of Death (BBLoD) a few people have gotten them on bad launch systems.

Roo

There are no special lights, just typically a frozen screen and a blaring squelch of madness coming from the TV, Gamepad, or both.

Just to be clear, AFAIK these hard locks are not bricking systems unless they occur during a critical point (like during an update or something) where any loss of power would brick the system. When they occur during gameplay you have to unplug the system to reset it, but when you plug it back in it boots right up. There's a big difference between a lockup and a brick.

FSOD!!!! :O
Frozen Screen Of Death

Didn't have any the entire first week. Some friends finally came over today to check it out, and it locked during the loading screen for NSMBU. Had to unplug it.

I figure I should follow up on my first post.

The first day my WiiU froze twice during nintendo land. Since then I've not played nintendo land and it hasn't locked up once.

nasos_333

I'm at two for today. First one was ten minutes into Assassins Creed 3. The second was while I was playing 4 player Metroid Blast. What. The. Fuck. The system should not be locking up this much.

Maybe a faulty system, why not return it ?

Also as a rule of thumb, should never buy hardware at launch

Meelow

Banned
This use to happen to me. Is anyone's Wii U in a small area because if it is it will heat up fast and cause it to freeze/hardlock, mine was in a closed area and I put it in the open and didn't freeze since.

This use to happen to me. Is anyone's Wii U in a small area because if it is it will heat up fast and cause it to freeze/hardlock, mine was in a closed area and I put it in the open and didn't freeze since.

Mine was just sitting on my desk, not close to anything else. I highly doubt its a hardware problem since my only freezes were in NintendoLand.

The problem we are having is not caused by heat, so having the system located in a different area has nothing to do with the solution.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Old roommate had about half a dozen in his weekend with the wiiU playing mostly zombiiU.

I told him to exchange it for defective but he was so enraged he just brought both back and demanded refund even on the opened game and got it since it was walmart.

His bigger problem was the gamepad locking up every 20-40 minutes which I haven't heard much of?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I turned my miiverse and Nintendoland Plaza settings to English only and I've had no locks since.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that it's a hardware problem. My Wii U crashed 3 times within 30 minutes on day 2. It hasn't crashed since.

My freezing was with the Gamepad specifically, not the console. It froze twice before I left the setup screens. It was fixed by exchanging the system, so yeah, I'd say that points to hardware.

or some bizarre, model specific firmware (???)

Eyothrie

My freezing was with the Gamepad specifically, not the console. It froze twice before I left the setup screens. It was fixed by exchanging the system, so yeah, I'd say that points to hardware.

or some bizarre, model specific firmware (???)

I think this thread is about console hard locks, not gamepad issues.

I think this thread is about console hard locks, not gamepad issues.

Er, ok then. I think you'll find the two are quite married, though :)

I originally posted because I wasn't sure if it was related - after all, the Gamepad itself would 'hardlock' just like the console, fucked up audio and all. Doesn't seem like people want me talking about it or the idea of a hardware issue, so I can be quiet!

Er, ok then. I think you'll find the two are quite married, though :)

I originally posted because I wasn't sure if it was related - after all, the Gamepad itself would 'hardlock' just like the console, fucked up audio and all. Doesn't seem like people want me talking about it or the idea of a hardware issue, so I can be quiet!

It's not unlikely that some hardlocks are caused by faulty hardware, but it seems that the majority are connected to the miiverse in one way or another.

Old roommate had about half a dozen in his weekend with the wiiU playing mostly zombiiU.

I told him to exchange it for defective but he was so enraged he just brought both back and demanded refund even on the opened game and got it since it was walmart.

His bigger problem was the gamepad locking up every 20-40 minutes which I haven't heard much of?
Haven't heard of any gamepad lock ups. His stuff was definitely defective

Soroc

I've only had 2 lockups all week.

The first was when the update installed for AC3 and froze at the white Ubi logo screen.

The second was when I was trying out the Amazon Instant Video app and it froze on a video and then locked the system.

otherwise in about 20 hours of use I haven't had any other lockups so far.

Yeah I just played Nintendo Land and this happened, Nintendo needs to give a system update now.

E-shop and stuff are down tomorrow for an update. Hopefully it addresses lockup and speed of interface

Davey Cakes

So does anyone know if there's progress on this?

I've played a lot of Nintendo Land, but today for the first time my brother and I were playing Metroid Blast and experienced two hard locks.

LiK

I've played a lot of Nintendo Land, but today for the first time my brother and I were playing Metroid Blast and experienced two hard locks.

nothing from the big N about this. bet you they gonna be super slow with the response as usual. i await hearing if this is happening in other regions as well. i personally haven't played my Wii U long enough to see any hard lock ups.

deviljho

I just got a new one sent to me by Nintendo. Turn around was 9 days. They said they couldn't "recreate the error" and sent a new one. I haven't had this issue with the new one so far.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Here we've had three hardlocks so far: twice during Nintendoland, very close together one after the other. Then 3 days later while just browsing Miiverse with no game running in the background. But there's been heavy playtime with all games besides that and no locks.

My gut feeling is that this absolutely isn't a hardware reliability issue, and I'm seriously f**king suspicious that it's due to something network related in the background... very possibly Miiverse since that's always running to some degree.

FYI, I've heard of the most locks in Nintendoland by far from the most people, and that's the game that has live Miiverse data polling happening all the time, especially when in the plaza with Miis popping in and out.

Kyou

I've had occasional lockups during Mario and Nintendoland but nothing during Assassin's Creed.

I think it's Miiverse that's causing the lockups, as AC has absolutely no Miiverse integration

Rich!

Better not have any hard locks during zombi this weekend.

But honestly, I am more worried about the recent power cuts in this area. I got through Sens Fortress in Dark Souls the other day. Running to a bonfire...POWER CUT

FUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKK

Medalion

Banned
If i play ass creek less, i don't get anymore lock ups

I've also resorted to unplugging my pro controller charging usb cable just in case

Davey Cakes

Well, I tried the "set communications to English only" technique and played three rounds of Metroid Blast. No locks. Maybe I'm just lucky, but it would be awesome if that was a good temporary solution. A network issue? Something to do with pulling posts from around the world, perhaps?

Then again, people have said that this issue has happened in games other than Nintendo Land.

For most of tonight, I couldn't get into Nintendo Land because if would freeze and start buzzing while the robot was talking EVERY TIME. It magically fixed itself later in the night when I moved the Wii U back from the living room to my room though.

Sanctuary

There's a reproducible hard lock with ZombiU, and because of what is happening on screen, it screams cpu/ram issue. Could be coding, could be hardware.

TentPole

I have had 3 or 4 lock ups. Somehow, I am still pretty positive on the system, despite the fact that these hard locks are not okay.

I'm afraid to reenable my Wi-Fi. Someone please provide an update... has anything been corrected yet?

turning off wifi stops the console from hard locking? has anyone else done this? I'd hate to encounter a hard lock, so I might just turn off wifi after updating and browsing the store.

Septimius

turning off wifi stops the console from hard locking? has anyone else done this? I'd hate to encounter a hard lock, so I might just turn off wifi after updating and browsing the store.

I'm sort of guessing he's saying he hasn't updated his console. Lock-ups don't happen until after the day 1 update.

ive had a couple of hard locks this week: first was after i was done playing nba2k, i pressed power on the gamepad like i usually do to shut everything off. pad shut down but then i noticed the blue lights were still on. turn on the pad, system is frozen, had to pull plug.

Second was during a switch to wii mode to play metroid prime. Just a black screen, wii menu never came up. Pulled the plug.

Had a friend come over tonight. First time that anyone's touched my Wii U other than myself. (no jokes)

He started up the console, booted up Black Ops, and it froze. He thought he broke my new toy. And if he thinks it's going to freeze, he's probably not going to buy one himself. Nintendo, you're making it hard for me to promote your new system.

Top Bottom