• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old Fart UK GAF - Kickstart this book about Sensible Software!

Jonnyram

Wizball is why I bought an ST.
Sensible Soccer is the greatest football game of all time.
And I loved Megalomania too.

This book will be mine!
If I lived in the UK, I'd probably have gone for the Meal Ticket too.

Mindwipe

Oooh.... that looks interesting. Certainly worth shunting enough money for the book over.

A few of the Vinyl heads in my office are looking quite interested too...

elektrixx

Banned
I've never heard of this company.

I've heard of Sensible World Of Soccer, but the game never released on XBLA here!

Also what a silly name. Do they make toothpaste or something on the side?

8bit

Knows the Score
Damn, the Vinyl edition is incredibly tempting but a little too pricey (I've already given the Vinyl Factory ~100 quid this month).

Was looking for some background and found this:

At Christmas 1993, a free Sensible Software minigame was included on an Amiga Format cover disk. Called Cannon Soccer, it was essentially two bonus levels of Cannon Fodder (one of Sensible Software's other titles) in which the soldiers fought hordes of Sensible Soccer players in a snowy landscape.[12]

On the Amiga Power Coverdisk 21 one of the demos was Sensible Soccer: England vs Germany, also known as Sensible Soccer Meets Bulldog Blighty.[13] This featured a mode of play that involved replacing players with soldiers from Cannon Fodder, and the ball with a hand grenade. The grenade would randomly begin to flash eventually exploding, killing any nearby players.

Sensible World of Moon Soccer a free covermount disk included with an issue of Amiga Action magazine in the UK. Play as Moon United, featured low gravity, a cratered pitch and hordes of alien players to trade.[14]

The developers released a humorous spin-off called unSensible Soccer which consisted of apples vs. oranges instead of men. It was released as a free covermount disk with Amiga Action in March 1993.[15]

I only remember Cannon Soccer and would have loved seeing the other variations.

Wizball is one of the greatest games ever.

What a stroke of genius...

I really miss the days, when inspired games like this were blockbusters, and not "bald caucasian guy shoots people in the face".

Ubersnug

That alone would sell me on an iPad.

Backed this without second thought.

In fact, all the sensible games would work perfectly on the iPad: Cannon Fodder, Sensible World of Soccer, Mega-Lo-Mania, Sensible Golf, Wizball, Wizkid etc...

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
In fact, all the sensible games would work perfectly on the iPad: Cannon Fodder, Sensible World of Soccer, Mega-Lo-Mania, Sensible Golf, Wizball, Wizkid etc...

They would indeed! I have been dying for Cannon Fodder to be ported to the 360. It would work unbelievably well as a twin stick shooter. I still to this day play Cannon Fodder (thank you GOG), oh how I love that game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They would indeed! I have been dying for Cannon Fodder to be ported to the 360. It would work unbelievably well as a twin stick shooter. I still to this day play Cannon Fodder (thank you GOG), oh how I love that game.

hmm, think that might simplify things a bit. Mouse was useful to create groups and control multiple groups quickly. (although mostly I think I only did that to leave valuable soldiers behind in a safe spot while scouting with a smaller group)

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I loved Sensible Software, Canon Fodder and Sensible Soccer are up there in by favourite games of all time and they had some of the best video game music of all time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR58CIjnEG4

I hope the book comes with the disclaimer "This book is not in any way endorsed by the Royal British Legion" :)

Was looking for some background and found this:

Cannon Soccer, Sensible Soccer: England vs Germany (also known as Sensible Soccer Meets Bulldog Blighty), Sensible World of Moon Soccer, unSensible Soccer.
You can obtain all of these from Lenon Amiga and play them using the UAE emulator. Worth doing.

My favourite Sensible Software Easter Egg is when you choose 1966 Englsnd vs 1966 Germany from the list of custom teams, and everything is presented in Black & White with film grain to match!

lockload

I dont really want a physical book but would have paid $15 for a digital copy

Good luck to them though

I was the expert at scoring from kickoff though in sensible soccer (run righ forward slightly then curl into the corner) :)

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Came here to post this Kickstarter. I've backed it.

I still play Sensible Soccer to this day. I also designed the official Sensible Soccer t-shirt for the Joystick Junkies brand. And ran a petition in 2002 to try get a version of Sensible Soccer made for GBA. So I'm a fan ;)

Here's a blog post I wrote last year about how I consider Sensible Software's Wizkid to be "the greatest game ever sold": http://dreampast.tumblr.com/post/7882526864/wizkid

tumblr_lo8v27iIHY1qbfpni.png

ps: just upgraded to the $100 tier.

Thank you for actually being one of the few that remember this game! It was one of my favourites on my Amiga 500 back in the early 90s, but unfortunately didn't work when I upgraded to an Amiga 1200. So fun!

Funded for the normal edition, was tempted with the signed copy but ducked out in the end. Looking forward to a lot of childhood memories in this book.

Top Bottom