• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old Logitech wheels [with FFB] are now playable on PS4 via homebrew PC app

cortega1

Neo Member
Not convenient enough for me to spend on a different solution. No PC is nice, but that's quite the ritual to get it started... and it's every time.

Considering that and the fact it needs a powered hub to keep the DS4 and wheel, I guess something as convenient as a "dumb" adapter is too far-fetched :(

It is cool to see that there is a solution out that does not require as much DIY'ing for those that just wants something that works, but I just watched the video for it and agree. I don't want to have to go through that procedure of waiting till the PS4 is powered on till I can plug in the cronusmax and then waiting for its animation to finish before I can plug in the hub every time I power up the system. I also don't want to have something else (USB hub) that requires another power connection, as well as have to make sure I used specific ports on the hub.

Since I've been using autostarted GIMX on an RPi 3 via 1 usb port, I can literally just turn on my PS4 and start using it when the system powers on.

Picklock

And ritual with the CRAFTING of the GIMX hardware and connecting everything to the PC every time is easier how?

Chronus software needs to be tweaked once, and from there everything is plug and play.

Give a mouse a cookie, hard to please anyone these days..

I just got one, and it works great with G27! I'm really enjoying GTSport beta much more now that I can properly control the cars.

which firmware do you upload, the one for the g29/ps4?
EMUG29PS4: Logitech G29 gaming wheel emulation, for PS4

i got a g27 too and want to use it on ps4

DieH@rd

Banned
I used the firmware that comes by default with the adapter [the one for G29 emulation].

Entire process of setting things up was pretty straightforward.

I used the firmware that comes by default with the adapter [the one for G29 emulation].

Entire process of setting things up was pretty straightforward.
necrobump
hey! thanks forgot to post but i just ordered one a few minutes ago for GT sport.

thanks for the info =)

joeblow

OK, I have the GIMX adapter ready to go. I'm at a point where I need a R.Pi unit. I've never used Linux, so I could use some help.

What's a good, straight-forward R.Pi unit to get for my DFGT/PS4 combo? I can pick up this kit from a local store (if it looks right, and is a decent price), or I can order off of Amazon/NewEgg if there's a better suggestion. BTW do these come pre-loaded with the OS, or do I need to research, dload and install it? Do I need to connect a mouse/keyboard to it? Will I need to connect it to my HDTV to do installation stuff? It seems like the Pi solution is a project itself.

Lastly, if there is a thread or video that gives really detailed info for setting up the Pi for use with the GIMX, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I forgot how this works. So the GIMX adapter connects to the wheel and the PC and then from the PC you connect to PS4?

SScorpio

OK, I have the GIMX adapter ready to go. I'm at a point where I need a R.Pi unit. I've never used Linux, so I could use some help.

What's a good, straight-forward R.Pi unit to get for my DFGT/PS4 combo? I can pick up this kit from a local store (if it looks right, and is a decent price), or I can order off of Amazon/NewEgg if there's a better suggestion. BTW do these come pre-loaded with the OS, or do I need to research, dload and install it? Do I need to connect a mouse/keyboard to it? Will I need to connect it to my HDTV to do installation stuff? It seems like the Pi solution is a project itself.

Lastly, if there is a thread or video that gives really detailed info for setting up the Pi for use with the GIMX, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

The bundle you listed will work. The RPis are pretty much all the same.

For setup you need to write a pre-configured image to the SD card on your computer. You'll then want to connect the RPi to a TV or monitor via HDMI and hook up a keyboard. The pre-configured image is setup for the G27, but it's a simple command that you need to run to swap it over to the DFGT. After configuring it you are done and no longer need to use a display or keyboard on it.

Here's the image: http://www.steve-marton.com/gimx/?p=462

Here's the configuration change: http://www.steve-marton.com/gimx/?p=237

Code:
./gimx_list_configs.sh
Will list out the available options.

Code:
./gimx_change_config.sh LogitechDrivingForceGT_G29.xml
Is what I think you want.

If the wheel goes through it's automated calibration when hooked up you should be all set. The only issue I ran into on my DFGT was figuring out that the start button was the PS button which needed to be pressed to activate the controller. The select button then worked as the option button. The wheel doesn't have a mapped share button.

joeblow

The bundle you listed will work. The RPis are pretty much all the same.

For setup you need to write a pre-configured image to the SD card on your computer. You'll then want to connect the RPi to a TV or monitor via HDMI and hook up a keyboard. The pre-configured image is setup for the G27, but it's a simple command that you need to run to swap it over to the DFGT. After configuring it you are done and no longer need to use a display or keyboard on it.

Here's the image: http://www.steve-marton.com/gimx/?p=462

Here's the configuration change: http://www.steve-marton.com/gimx/?p=237

Code:
./gimx_list_configs.sh
Will list out the available options.

Code:
./gimx_change_config.sh LogitechDrivingForceGT_G29.xml
Is what I think you want.

If the wheel goes through it's automated calibration when hooked up you should be all set. The only issue I ran into on my DFGT was figuring out that the start button was the PS button which needed to be pressed to activate the controller. The select button then worked as the option button. The wheel doesn't have a mapped share button.

Thanks! One thing about the kit I'm looking at. It says "16GB microSD card loaded with the NOOBS operating system". Is that a problem to run the GIMX program, or do I need some other OS setup? If so, it should be no issue to put it on the included SD card?

hey guys,
my GIMX came in today =)

xUsWg6gh.jpg

bombshell

I thought the DIY USB dongle just sat between the wheel and the console.

Is there really no solution that can cut out the requirement for the PC or the custom dongle?

The two setup options are
- Wheel <-> PC (Win/Ubuntu) <-> Adapter <-> Console
- Wheel <-> Raspberry Pi <-> Adapter <-> Console

Mascot

Going back through the thread, the new Chronusmax seems the simplest plug'n'play solution despite its weird usb hub requirement.

The new Drivehub has superseded the CronusMax, and doesn't need a USB hub.
I had a CronusMax and it worked superbly. If I was still a console owner I'd look closely at the Drivehub, as it seems like an even better solution.

http://shop.cronusmax.com/drivehub.html

Edit: a user in the other thread has bought one and says it's great: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250397738&postcount=2041

I'm happy to report back that the drivehub seems to work perfectly! I've used my g27 with dirt rally and dirt 4 on the ps4 and some forza horizon 3 and forza7 on the xbox1.

Everything feels like it should and I'm able to use the buttons on the shifter to navigate menus. It did lock up on me once (it was inputting full throttle no matter what i did), but I may have screwed up the order of plugging things into it. (plug in wheel>plug in controller>turn console on>plug drivehub into console)

whole thread, go to the end

drivehub_1_noborder.png

The new Drivehub has superseded the CronusMax, and doesn't need a USB hub.
I had a CronusMax and it worked superbly. If I was still a console owner I'd look closely at the Drivehub, as it seems like an even better solution.

http://shop.cronusmax.com/drivehub.html

Edit: a user in the other thread has bought one and says it's great: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250397738&postcount=2041

whole thread, go to the end

drivehub_1_noborder.png

Lol, each improvement just gets closer in price to just buying a new wheel. :(

joeblow

Thanks for the DriveHub info. Looks like just what I needed. I bought a GIMX, but hadn't gotten a R.Pi yet and was dreading that step a bit.

Now that I've ordered a DriveHub, I'm willing to sell my unused GIMX to anyone in the U.S. (PM me).

joeblow

^^^ Toss in another $150 - $300 in savings if you also don't want to replace your old wheel stand/seat contraption because it isn't compatible with the newer wheels. That's a reason why I didn't want a replacement.

SiteSeer

just bought the parts ($25 teensy + $7 cp2102) off amazon and got it working in about an hour. really great little piece of kit. i had a driving force gt sitting in the closet, unused since gt5. only inconvenience is having the laptop intermediary but the thing works great regardless.

joeblow

I can happily report that the DriveHub gizmo is legit. The only hiccup was updating the firmware... the launcher for it does not like Windows 7 as it wouldn't recognize the DH unit on two different computers. I had to connect it to a laptop with W10 to finally get it to work. Once it was updated, the rest was straight forward. I connected it to my PS4 Pro and it worked flawlessly with Dirt Rally VR.

For $81 (with the discount code), it is a pretty awesome option that let's me use my DFGT + WheelStand Pro combo rather than buy a completely new PS4 driving setup.

spwolf

just bought the parts ($25 teensy + $7 cp2102) off amazon and got it working in about an hour. really great little piece of kit. i had a driving force gt sitting in the closet, unused since gt5. only inconvenience is having the laptop intermediary but the thing works great regardless.

yeah, once it works it is fine and easy. I had a problem with some usb cables, once i changed them all good.

A tip to everyone - you can actually activate another controller with same user (as the one connected to the PC) and it will work fine for navigation, wireless. I thought it would disconnect controller connected to the PC and thus stop working at some point, but nope, all good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh wow, I was thinking about buying the GIMX but the Drivehub seems like a nice solution to not have to have a PC with you. I'm surprised it costs more than the CronusMax itself though.

Neo 007

I'm trying to get my Accuforce DD wheel to work with GT Sport.I have the GIMX USB board.
Need step by step instructions on getting it all working.
Any ideas guys?

Top Bottom