• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logitech confirms a new wheel for PS4 - and reveals a new Xbox One contender too

Mascot

Kinda ridiculous they don't just come with stickers or some shit or a little swappable faceplate that labels the buttons according to what system you have.

Easily circumvented in any number of ways for anyone with the most basic of product design skills.

Hell, my old Fanatec GT2 has buttons that light up with different symbols depending which mode it's in.

Jimrpg

Because neither console manufacturer lets to you use a rim that has the "wrong" face buttons.

Look into the Fanatec CSW v2 for their solution to this dumb restriction.

Just labeling them in the manual would be fine.

At worst give us a bunch of stickers to stick near the button for people who absolutely must have them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It simply makes sense.

After all these years -> New model = Profit
PS4 support for the old models = less profit, because people don't have to buy the new G29

fucking over previous loyal customers = they never buy from you again. Allow them to use equipment they may only recently have bought, and when they need to replace it they are more likely to consider your new product.

hesido

I don't have that kind of money :(

I bought my Logitech GT for about 100usd. Best bang per buck at the time.

(I won't buy a Logitech wheel even at 100usd.. I may buy another brand though, if it can provide similar features.)

BADNED

For those of you going to E3 next week you will be able to try out the G920 Driving Force with FM6!

"Please buy this expensive new wheel that we will make damn sure to not support as soon as the next consoles are released".

DFGT support on PS4 please...

Back in the days of F1 99-02 I owned a nice wheel for PC (something w/ a Ferrari on it, as far as I can remember) and when Win XP was introduced customer services told me they couldn't be bothered to develop a new driver for it... I was not amused. But I guess, that's how it is, developers want to sell new devices...

chadskin

Nooooo, the rumor said below €200. Damn you, internet. Can't justify spending this much right now, sadly. Hoping for a new Driving Force GT.

Mr E.

I'll pay for the reliability factor I feel Logitech provides. Had no end of issues with clubsport pedals and Fanatec wheel. Read about Thrustmasters catching fire and issues etc.

My G27 is rock solid after 5yrs. Yes it's a bummer that backwards compatibility isn't provided free but when I purchased it I knew the risks. Hell, Sony and Microsoft avoid Bkwards compatibility in there own fucking products.

For those of you going to E3 next week you will be able to try out the G920 Driving Force with FM6!

Surely you guys are aware of the large entry level FFB market that is being neglected this gen right?

Something akin to the Driving Force GT...

Forza will forever be wheel-less :(

Seanspeed

Banned
It does seem pretty simple, doesn't it?

It may be that there's actual hardware compatibility reasons this wouldn't work, or at least would be impractical, but it's entirely possible it's just based on trying to maximize sales by giving consumers no other choice.

I will say, this is the console generation to own a wheel, though.

Project Cars
Forza Motorsport
Gran Turismo
Assetto Corsa

Depending on which console you own, that's three damn good reasons to get one.

Yeah, € 399, resp. 449 incl. gearstick, that's enthusiast level for sure.

All I want is a new basic, but robust DFGT successor without clutch and a sequential gearstick + padels for less than 150 €...

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Will get one for the Xbox One for Forza 6. Some higher res screens.

CustomformatG29BOBWh.jpg

CustomformatG29FOBjp.jpg

g29shots143400935212.jpg

CustomformatG920BOBj.jpg

CustomformatG920FOBc.jpg

CustomformatSTARLIGH.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It may be that there's actual hardware compatibility reasons this wouldn't work, or at least would be impractical, but it's entirely possible it's just based on trying to maximize sales by giving consumers no other choice.

I will say, this is the console generation to own a wheel, though.

Project Cars
Forza Motorsport
Gran Turismo
Assetto Corsa

Depending on which console you own, that's three damn good reasons to get one.

and VR. If you're interested in VR and racing games, then a wheel is almost a must-have

Wait, so I was under the impression it was going to be $299, which is ridiculous.

It's actually $400? Are they fucking insane? Tired of this bullshit by logitech.

It seems developers and manufacturers really do not want business from entry level FFB enthusiasts.

Mascot

I simply cannot believe that Logitech made this decision themselves. I'm guessing it's a case of either Sony or MS (or both) refusing to license a wheel that supports a console competitor.

If the G29 supported Bone, PS3/PS4 and PC then Logitech could charge an appropriate premium and yet still wouldn't be able to keep up with demand. It would instantly sell out everywhere.

What's the small red wheel for? Seems to be missing on the Xbox version.

Those dials are something only Gran Turismo have taken advantage of. It allows you to change the settings on your car while you're racing, similarly to what you see on actual race cars. So that's why it's on the PS4 wheel and not the Xbox One wheel.

Mr E.

Those dials are something only Gran Turismo have taken advantage of. It allows you to change the settings on your car while you're racing, similarly to what you see on actual race cars. So that's why it's on the PS4 wheel and not the Xbox One wheel.
Yes my DFGT had the dial originally. If this is a GT7 feature (Seems likely) then Thrustmasters will obviously lack that feature. Odd if Thrustmaster is the official wheel of GT.

Mascot

Did anyone ever actually use it in game..? Seems like one of those ideas that just dies a death.

Garibaldi

fucking over previous loyal customers = they never buy from you again. Allow them to use equipment they may only recently have bought, and when they need to replace it they are more likely to consider your new product.

Exactly. I for one will not be buying this at £299 when I have a perfectly adequate G25 sitting here. I also won't be buying any racing titles that I deem require a wheel (pCars, GT7 etc.).

Yeah I'll miss out but they can all go jump if they think they can take the piss like this.

QaaQer

I simply cannot believe that Logitech made this decision themselves. I'm guessing it's a case of either Sony or MS (or both) refusing to license a wheel that supports a console competitor.

If the G29 supported Bone, PS3/PS4 and PC then Logitech could charge an appropriate premium and yet still wouldn't be able to keep up with demand. It would instantly sell out everywhere.

It is total bullshit. Thank god we have the PC and that MS hasn't figured out a way to lock that down.

And lets not forget that these console racers are all tuned for controllers because that is how 99.9% of players will be playing them. It wouldn't surprise me if wheels were actually a hindrance in competition as with Driveclub.

Zeknurn

The G920 seems like it got the short end of the stick by having far less buttons and no rev lights. I hope they price it accordingly.

chadskin

Funnily, the officially licensed Fanatec Forza 4 wheel works with PC, Xbox 360, PS3 and PS4 but not XB1 lol.

Did anyone ever actually use it in game..? Seems like one of those ideas that just dies a death.

I used it a few times. The best use for it was in GT5 for this hard NASCAR event. ASM was forced on in the regular menu, but using the RA menu you could turn it off which made getting gold easy.

Makikou

Wait, so I was under the impression it was going to be $299, which is ridiculous.

It's actually $400? Are they fucking insane? Tired of this bullshit by logitech.

It seems developers and manufacturers really do not want business from entry level FFB enthusiasts.

Rather buy the Thrustmaster T300RS. Belt-driven FFB and 150$ cheaper.

Seanspeed

Banned
Even if FM doesn't have this functionality, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars will, so it's still a strange omission.

Funnily, the officially licensed Fanatec Forza 4 wheel works with PC, Xbox 360, PS3 and PS4 but not XB1 lol.
Which is why I still say it's possible that there is some hardware compatibility issues that have led to needing new and separate wheels.

Mascot

I don't understand why these new Logitech and TM wheels don't have cheap thumbsticks on them for quick look (and menu nav) functionality. They don't need to be gamepad quality so shouldn't add that much to the cost.

I don't understand why these new Logitech and TM wheels don't have cheap thumbsticks on them for quick look (and menu nav) functionality. They don't need to be gamepad quality so shouldn't add that much to the cost.
Probably still more expensive than a d-pad, and isn't a d-pad better for that kind of thing anyway?

Top Bottom