• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old magazine ads for video games (nostalgia overload)

Lime

So I stumbled upon this amazing tumblr that posts old magazine ads for video games (mostly the 90's) with their cheesy marketing phrases and gamer hype. Thought they were worth a share and feel free to post your own:

Starcraft
tumblr_nwopbh5RWi1u665u1o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nwopbh5RWi1u665u1o2_1280.jpg

Fallout

Dungeon Keeper

Quake 2

Mechcommander
Mechwarrior 3

Total Annihilation

C&C: Red Alert

C&C: Tiberian Sun

Dark Reign

XCom Apocalypse

Privateer 2

Shadow Warrior

Heavy Gear 1

Heavy Gear 2

Blade Runner

The Curse of Monkey Island

Settlers IV

Incubation

Worms 2

Battlecruiser 3000 AD

Final Fantasy 7

Tizoc

Some of dese ads doe.

I'd really like to see what the people who worked on and agreed on publishing these ads for graphic cards think of them now.

Lime

Grim Fandango

Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Swordcoast

Baldur's Gate 2: SoA

Icewind Dale

Alice

Sanitarium

Tomb Raider Chronicles

Tomb Raider 1-3

Freespace

Might & Magic

Die by the sword

System Shock 2

Metal Gear Solid PC

Duke Nukem 3D

Earthsiege 2

Tizoc

That Warcraft Adventures game was canceled wow.
Seeing as footage of it was uploaded to Youtube I'll give them a watch later today.

Portman

Thanks for posting those Lime. Takes me back to when I carried PC gaming magazines in my bag at school and I would go through them over and over.

Funny thing about it is back then a magazine would be 400 pages and sure 150-200 was ada but something about the sheer size because of the ads makes me wish for the old days. Funny how we don't want any ads moat of the time now.

Cleve

Thanks for posting those Lime. Takes me back to when I carried PC gaming magazines in my bag at school and I would go through them over and over.

Funny thing about it is back then a magazine would be 400 pages and sure 150-200 was ada but something about the sheer size because of the ads makes me wish for the old days. Funny how we don't want any ads moat of the time now.

Well ads then were our only source of screenshots unless the mag ran a preview article. They were important stuff! I miss those days. I love seeing ads for DWANGO, and I'd forgotten all about those scammy contest ads that used to run

Gorey

Wow, thanks for this. The 90's were glorious. I have quite a few of old PC games those in boxes up in the attic. Wish I'd kept the PC Gamer mags, ah well.

Mr Git

Remember so many of these. I'll try and find some of the mags I kept. I took about 400 to the tip several years ago. Regret it but they take up so much space. :/

cGoJAXV.jpg

Nothing beats starting an ad by reminding people how much your genre sucks.

Amazed no one has posted this one:

e3uH6GP.jpg

And my favorite Sega CD ad, a 3 page monster that was possibly the most effective print ad for me of all time:
ad_lunar2-2.jpg

ad_lunar2-4.jpg

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i love old gaming ads. There used to be a huge thread on this. i thought this was a necrobump actually. Scanning old magazines for ads is a hobby of mine, Thanks for that tumblr link.. might be sending them some stuff after i get a chance to look it over.

A couple more.. these ones are a bit older than the ones posted here but i didnt see every image.. my internet is slow and stuff is still loading.. so apologies if there is a duplicate

Top Bottom