• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Older Game Question (Parasite Eve 2)

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I decided to pick up a couple cheap, used games, among which was Parasite Eve 2. Despite the combat being quite different from the original, and the adoption of the clunky RE/SH style movement (probably due to the more frequent jumping of angles within the prerendered BGs), I quickly found myself enjoying it. However, while I was playing in the Dryfield area, I found that the game locked up twice, until I gave up. The lockups were more transitional, as the screen just went black as it was supposed to between different rooms, but then never recovered. Specifically, it happened when I'm supposed to be going back to ask the old gun-nut to borrow his truck. First time was when I was trying to go back into the well to clear it out for BP, and the second time was when I figured that maybe something was wrong with going into the well, so I made a straight line for the old guy, but it locked up as I was trying to exit the garage with the truck in it.

It might just be my old PS1, but it hasn't given me any other troubles, despite its 7 or 8 years of age. If it was a hardware problem, I'd think that the lockups would just happen on their own at any time, rather than during room transitions only. I checked the disc when I bought it, and there was no significant scratching. I guess if I don't hear of any problems from any of you, then I'll have to assume it was disc damage or hardware failure, but I'll try to see if the store will allow me to swap it for a different copy. It's a pain to find a game I really like, and not be able to play it.

Tellaerin

DarthWoo said:
I decided to pick up a couple cheap, used games, among which was Parasite Eve 2. Despite the combat being quite different from the original, and the adoption of the clunky RE/SH style movement (probably due to the more frequent jumping of angles within the prerendered BGs), I quickly found myself enjoying it. However, while I was playing in the Dryfield area, I found that the game locked up twice, until I gave up. The lockups were more transitional, as the screen just went black as it was supposed to between different rooms, but then never recovered. Specifically, it happened when I'm supposed to be going back to ask the old gun-nut to borrow his truck. First time was when I was trying to go back into the well to clear it out for BP, and the second time was when I figured that maybe something was wrong with going into the well, so I made a straight line for the old guy, but it locked up as I was trying to exit the garage with the truck in it.

It might just be my old PS1, but it hasn't given me any other troubles, despite its 7 or 8 years of age. If it was a hardware problem, I'd think that the lockups would just happen on their own at any time, rather than during room transitions only. I checked the disc when I bought it, and there was no significant scratching. I guess if I don't hear of any problems from any of you, then I'll have to assume it was disc damage or hardware failure, but I'll try to see if the store will allow me to swap it for a different copy. It's a pain to find a game I really like, and not be able to play it.

When I played PE2, it was on a PSOne with LCD display, not an original Playstation. That said, I never had any problems with it, myself. I haven't heard anything about the game glitching on certain models of Playstation, but that's a possibility, too. Hopefully you can get things sorted--it's a pretty fun game. :)

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Tellaerin said:
When I played PE2, it was on a PSOne with LCD display, not an original Playstation. That said, I never had any problems with it, myself. I haven't heard anything about the game glitching on certain models of Playstation, but that's a possibility, too. Hopefully you can get things sorted--it's a pretty fun game. :)

Yeah, at first I thought I would hate the combat system, especially after trying to jump right into the level 5 training program and getting zapped quite a lot. I really wish I didn't have to give that MP5 back after the first level though.

Top Bottom