• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oldest movie that still "holds up"?

thefool

I really dislike the term hold up lol.
Third Man is from 49 and it pretty much defined thriller's visual language that is still heavily used in contemporary cinema.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I really dislike the term hold up lol.
Third Man is from 49 and it pretty much defined thriller's visual language that is still heavily used in contemporary cinema.

Influential and "holding up" I find are two very different things.

Holding up refers to a movie that embodies a quality that can still be appreciated today. Often influential art ages poorly because subsequent media apes, and slightly improves upon the original formula.

highrider

Banned
Metropolis and Nosferatu? Come on they were advanced for their time but they look pretty silly today. If I were to posit a couple I couldn’t go back any further than the 60s really.

Unforgiven or any great western comes to mind.

The Natural, Baseball never changes

Jaws, still showing current filmmakers how it’s done.

Dr. Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia come to mind as great period pieces where film was beginning to resemble what we see today. Obviously any early Disney hand animation is also timelessly beautiful.

Last edited:

Tams

None very old (so by no means the oldest), but as already mentioned, Zulu, Lawrence of Arabia, Jason and the Argonauts, Ben Hur, and many of the Kurosawa films hold up very well.

My absolute favourite old film is The Italian Job though. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it, even though it is not perfect.

I've never watched the whole of Citizen Kane. I can appreciate the cinematography, but every time I've tried to watch, I've been bored out of my fucking mind.

teezzy

Banned
Like the second I gotta read dialog as frames of text, I'm out. I feel the same way about Visual Novels as "games", I'd rather just read a book or a comic or something.

Even with my fascination with vampires, calling Nosferatu an enjoyable watch in 2021 feels untruthful. Heck, even Vampyr and Dracula are difficult to sit through these days. I'd literally rather read Bram Stoker's Dracula than subject myself to that lol

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'll hobble over to the home computer in the den right quick and tell you youngfolk a story about how back in my day, me and my crew of rapscillions hiked three miles, uphill, both ways, in the snow to catch a gander of The Matrix at the cinema.

SpiceRacz

If you're wanting to dive into older cinema, I have 2 recommendations:

1280px-City_Lights_%281931_theatrical_poster_-_retouched%29.jpg

lf

Both are timeless movies. Chaplin is maybe the most talented person we've ever seen in film. You need to experience his brilliance and this is a great place to start. Sunset Boulevard, to me anyway, is the quintessential noir film. If you want to dip your toes in the genre, watch it.

Last edited:

Banned
Metropolis 1927 is still amazing. absolute masterpiece that wasn't appreciated at the time of release, and was eventually vandalized like crazy and FINALLY almost completely restored a few years ago

R557a6e1bd2ff1944ee758fe429a36fc8

XXL

Metropolis 1927 is still amazing. absolute masterpiece that wasn't appreciated at the time of release, and was eventually vandalized like crazy and FINALLY almost completely restored a few years ago

R557a6e1bd2ff1944ee758fe429a36fc8
Came to post this. This is my favorite movie, in general.

Kreen101

Among silent films, those I can still watch and be entertained by are :

some Chaplin films (especially City Lights and Modern Times)
Vampyr, by Carl Dreyer
The Passion of Joan of Arc, by Dreyer -- again

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Metropolis and Nosferatu? Come on they were advanced for their time but they look pretty silly today. If I were to posit a couple I couldn’t go back any further than the 60s really.

Unforgiven or any great western comes to mind.

The Natural, Baseball never changes

Jaws, still showing current filmmakers how it’s done.

Dr. Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia come to mind as great period pieces where film was beginning to resemble what we see today. Obviously any early Disney hand animation is also timelessly beautiful.

I was expecting more suggestions from the 50s - 70s but apparently everyone studied film at NYU in this thread. Nerds!!

Top Bottom