• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oldies stations are playing 80s music now

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the station I was talking about. The big change happened when they started playing The Eagles and then the Police and now they're totally don't play stuff like Chubby Checker etc.

Exactly. Memorial Day weekend last year was totally 80's it was so weird.

Loxley

Well, I grew up in the 90's and they were playing 70's music on the oldies stations.

25-30 years seems to be the average amount of time until a certain decade hits the "oldies" point.

Ainsz

So basically

roflbot.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Oldies stations have been playing 80's music for ten years. What's weird is that grunge is on classic rock stations.

So basically

roflbot.jpg

The joke behind 'Johnny B. Goode' was that the song was released in 1958. Marty brought it back to 1955 to make him sound like a revolutionary musician to some unsuspecting teenagers.

If a 2017 soft-reboot happened, Nu-Marty would have to bring some hot track from 1990 to 1987, and call it an "oldie".

Maybe he/ she would bring MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This" to 1987?

The joke behind 'Johnny B. Goode' was that the song was released in 1958. Marty brought it back to 1955 to make him sound like a revolutionary musician to some unsuspecting teenagers.

If a 2017 soft-reboot happened, Nu-Marty would have to bring some hot track from 1990 to 1987, and call it an "oldie".

Well, he was also finger-tapping like Eddie Van Halen. There were all kinds of things happening there.

Well, he was also finger-tapping like Eddie Van Halen. There were all kinds of things happening there.

Oh yeah, that is a good point. It was a payoff to the beginning of the movie when Marty was told that his music was "too loud" at the battle of the bands try-outs. The song would have to end with something that is popular now.

Plus the Townshend windmill. He was going all out.

Funny how there were so many little details that made the song slightly off-putting to the 1950's teens at the dance. Yeah, I guess there were a mixture of things. Marty was trying to make his parents generation more susceptible to the style of 70's and early '80s rock/ metal that he was into.

Killua

First time I ever experienced that feeling was when Fresh Prince of Bel Air started playing on Nick At Nite. It felt so bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom