• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olivia Newton-John passed away, RIP

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
john travolta grease GIF

Kev Kev

Aw man. She's iconic. Probably inspired lots of girls to get into theatre, dance and singing. That's sad.

Jorav

I have Grease burnt into my brain growing up, by having that on weekly due to my sister loving that show. She seemed like a nice lady overall.

Truly one of those inspirational lights in life giving support through persona and community. She had such a massive battle later in life, met it all with poise and hope to provide so much through her foundation and long life. We lost a great human, she will always be missed and loved.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
A little secret of mine.... I actually like Xanadu.
Mainly because of Olivia, I wanted one just like her 😟

RIP Olivia ♥️

RAÏSanÏa

From what I heard, the only good thing that came from that movie: this song!

RIP to a legend!
Magic is good too. The soundtrack is praised.

Billboard magazine ranked "Magic" as the third most popular single of 1980, behind only "Call Me" by Blondie and "Another Brick in the Wall, Part II" by Pink Floyd. In Canada, the single spent two weeks at number one. It also reached number four in Australia and number 32 in the United Kingdom. The single also became Newton-John's biggest Adult Contemporary hit to date, spending five weeks at the top of the US chart, and also topped the Canadian AC chart for a week.[2]
John Lennon named "Magic" and "All Over the World" as two recent songs he liked in a Newsweek interview in September 1980, shortly before his death.[3]
In a lawsuit involving the use of the song in a high school musical performance, the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals described the song as follows:

"Magic" was an original song in the 1980 musical movie fantasy "Xanadu." Olivia Newton-John played Kira, a muse descended from Mount Olympus, who encourages and inspires the male protagonist, Sonny, to pursue his dream of opening a fantastical nightclub, Xanadu. "Magic" plays during their first encounter, reprises first when Kira must return to Olympus, and then again when Kira seemingly reappears as a Xanadu waitress. It is thus used as a vehicle of inspiration for pursuit of one’s dreams and love.[4]
I still have yet to watch the film in its entirety.

It might be a viable tribute to put Gaga in skates as Quinn in Joker2 to sing a few bars. As a musical and even though Xanadu is 80s its music was 70s swansong so might go with the setting.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

“Everyone that I know who’s had a near-death experience, my husband being one of them, says it’s the most unbelievable feeling of love that you have ever experienced and you don’t want to come back. So I’m kind of looking forward to that ― not now ― but when it happens,” she said.

Newton-John went on to explain in the interview that she’s had experiences with spirits and the spirit world.

“Some people call it heaven, some people call it the universe. I just think there’s a great knowingness out there that we become part of,” she explained, adding that she hoped “the energies of the people that you love are there,” and that “all love will be there.”

JD_Shadow

Neo Member
Magic is good too. The soundtrack is praised.

Billboard magazine ranked "Magic" as the third most popular single of 1980, behind only "Call Me" by Blondie and "Another Brick in the Wall, Part II" by Pink Floyd. In Canada, the single spent two weeks at number one. It also reached number four in Australia and number 32 in the United Kingdom. The single also became Newton-John's biggest Adult Contemporary hit to date, spending five weeks at the top of the US chart, and also topped the Canadian AC chart for a week.[2]
John Lennon named "Magic" and "All Over the World" as two recent songs he liked in a Newsweek interview in September 1980, shortly before his death.[3]
In a lawsuit involving the use of the song in a high school musical performance, the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals described the song as follows:

I still have yet to watch the film in its entirety.

It might be a viable tribute to put Gaga in skates as Quinn in Joker2 to sing a few bars. As a musical and even though Xanadu is 80s its music was 70s swansong so might go with the setting.
From what I've seen since posting that, apparently Xanadu has a cult following, so I guess it could be worth a try. I personally haven't watched it (thanks, media, for making everyone think the same way), but perhaps if I see it when channel surfing or find it somewhere on a streaming service, I might be tempted to give it a go. After all, you're reading a post from someone who ended up loving Shock Treatment and will defend THAT movie until I'm underground, so that might give this movie an advantage with me.

Top Bottom