• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli Review Thread

Roll7tom

Neo Member
Hey Guys

Thanks for nudge re leaderboards :) As you know you can see your score in comparison to number 1 spot. A lot of people have been asking for leaderboards. They're not in there atm as we are a small small team and we had to make some decision about what needed to be cut before we ran out of money! Leader boards was one of those things. Right now there are no plans to patch it in as we have started our next project, but never say never, we'll look at all our feedback and work our plan of action!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hey Guys

Thanks for nudge re leaderboards :) As you know you can see your score in comparison to number 1 spot. A lot of people have been asking for leaderboards. They're not in there atm as we are a small small team and we had to make some decision about what needed to be cut before we ran out of money! Leader boards was one of those things. Right now there are no plans to patch it in as we have started our next project, but never say never, we'll look at all our feedback and work our plan of action!

If the game sells decently, it would probably worth examining as the friends leaderboards were a huge part of me continuing to play MotorStorm RC (That game is a VERY good inspirational source for leaderboard integration) and recommending it to others.

But in any case, good luck with your next project :)

Hey Guys

Well I'm out.

This is a game all about getting high scores, leaderboards are the absolute most important thing you should have put in there!

SmokyDave

Hey Guys

Really looking forward to playing your game dude. You cats must be pretty happy with the glowing reviews.

I hope your next project appears on a certain sexy handheld.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well I'm out.

This is a game all about getting high scores, leaderboards are the absolute most important thing you should have put in there!

All this leaderboard talk makes me want to restart MotorStorm and see whether any of my friends was in a mood to beat some of my scores :p

SmokyDave

All this leaderboard talk makes me want to restart MotorStorm and see whether any of my friends was in a mood to beat some of my scores :p

Heh. I read Motorstorm RC and thought 'man, I should totally redownload that and have a crack at the scoreboards'.

MrCow

just bought the game - downloading right now
(first time i have used the store on pc, since the vita store doesn't seem to have it yet but it works like a charm)

Jonnyram

Finally set up a US PSN account last night to grab Spelunky while it was on sale. Randomly picked this up this morning, played it on the train to work, missed my transfer, discovered a better, faster, cheaper route to work. Olli Olli: 10/10. Damn the music in this game is GREAT! Not to mention the "just one more" gameplay that everyone is raving about.

I usually don't care at all about leaderboards but MotorStorm RC was a very special exception. What a fantastic little game. I tend to not even look at trophies anymore but I played that one until I hit the platinum because it was just so much fun.

Number45

The PS+ discount is showing for me (UK).

Finally set up a US PSN account last night to grab Spelunky while it was on sale. Randomly picked this up this morning, played it on the train to work, missed my transfer, discovered a better, faster, cheaper route to work. Olli Olli: 10/10. Damn the music in this game is GREAT! Not to mention the "just one more" gameplay that everyone is raving about.
Roll7 should put this on the marketing materials.

Toma

I usually don't care at all about leaderboards but MotorStorm RC was a very special exception. What a fantastic little game. I tend to not even look at trophies anymore but I played that one until I hit the platinum because it was just so much fun.

It was the best implementation I've seen of leadboards ever. I definitely consider it an elemental feature for that game which made it as good as it is.

But anyway, sorry for the derail guys :)

Gamecentral review - 8/10

In Short: A surprise new champion for the PS Vita and a cleverly designed mix of skateboarding and 2D platforming that will appeal to everyone.

Pros: Pixel perfect controls give the PS Vita’s analogue sticks the workout they deserve. Great level design and simple but effective graphics. Lots of content.

Cons: A fairly steep learning curve and a frustratingly high difficultly level even after that – especially if you haven’t memorised a level yet. Too many tricks seem identical.

Olliewilldie

Neo Member
Man I thought this sounded simple but my fingers get in a jumble constantly. I know what I want it to do and in my head it's amazing but my stupid fingers won't do it.

Think I'll give spins a wide berth for the foreseeable future.

Seems great though so far.

Hey Guys

Friend leaderboards should be put in sooner rather than later. Especially if it sells well.

I myself bought your game day one, and the lack of leaderboards is the only thing stopping my brother and some friends from buying it. :(

Please reconsider. And everyone loves a studio that supports their fans. Look at Future Lab with velocity ultra. That's how u create a loyal fan base. And in turn, those loyalist sell your game for u.

Knuf

Reviews and impressions here sold me on it.
Bought it and in my download queue already: evening cannot come soon enough!

codhand

Played for 20 minutes this morning. Wow, this is the next-gen of skateboard games. Controls are perfect. "Daily Grind" idea is great. Vita is the perfect system for this too.

Nintyb

Banned
I can't even play longer than a couple minutes without it crashing. Seems pretty fun from what I've seen so far.

Olliewilldie

Neo Member
I know it's anecdotal but I played through my work lunch hour and it didn't crash once. I was connected constantly to a stable wifi connection though.. dunno if that helps.

Loving it so far.

Looking possible to be another game like Spelunky & Stardust that I always have installed.

Nymphae

Banned
How do you make a trick after grinding? I always end up with an Olli..

I'm curious about this too, is there no way to trick off a grind? I don't like how you have to hold the grind direction, and the second you stop holding it, you ollie. I would think it would be better to have to hold a direction as you hit a grind, but then have to hit another direction to ollie off the grind (so you jump, hit down right before the grind to go into it, then release the stick while continuing the grind, now you can flick the stick for tricks off the grind).

As a huge THPS fan, it takes a lot of getting used to the controls in this game. Your mind wants X to do a lot more than it does, I'm constantly pressing it to come of grinds or as I ollie, that'll just take some getting used to though.

krpiper

Great game! Unfortunately years of Tony Hawk is engrained in my brain and I keep trying to push X to Ollie :(

Good thing the retry feature is so close ;)

Roll7tom

Neo Member
I'm curious about this too, is there no way to trick off a grind? I don't like how you have to hold the grind direction, and the second you stop holding it, you ollie. I would think it would be better to have to hold a direction as you hit a grind, but then have to hit another direction to ollie off the grind (so you jump, hit down right before the grind to go into it, then release the stick while continuing the grind, now you can flick the stick for tricks off the grind).

Hey, you can grind by pulling the trick in any direction, the direction you hold the stick whilst grinding determines what trick you can pull form there, if you hold down one of the triggers at the same time as you hold the stick to grind you will perform a different grind! The Tricktionary has all the different grinds in there

Roll7tom

Neo Member
I can't even play longer than a couple minutes without it crashing. Seems pretty fun from what I've seen so far.

Sorry to hear that, I'm gonna start sounding like a broken record but we're working on it :) as someone else suggests a solid wifi connection will help and in some cases eliminate the crash completely

Roll7tom

Neo Member
Friend leaderboards should be put in sooner rather than later. Especially if it sells well.

I myself bought your game day one, and the lack of leaderboards is the only thing stopping my brother and some friends from buying it. :(

Please reconsider. And everyone loves a studio that supports their fans. Look at Future Lab with velocity ultra. That's how u create a loyal fan base. And in turn, those loyalist sell your game for u.

Appreciate your point of view! We're seriously considering it but I don't want to get everyone's hopes up and say that it will be implemented. We are a small team and it will be a sizeabe undertaking, but as you say, if its what everyone is asking for then we need to seriously consider it!

btkadams

Hey Guys

great job on the game! i'm going to be playing this for a while.

you really really really do need to implement leaderboards though. i hope you guys are able to add them in.

edit: i also didn't experience any crashing last night, and was 10 feet from my wifi router, so wifi stability could be the cause.

Appreciate your point of view! We're seriously considering it but I don't want to get everyone's hopes up and say that it will be implemented. We are a small team and it will be a sizeabe undertaking, but as you say, if its what everyone is asking for then we need to seriously consider it!
Thank you for at least acknowledging my comment lol

Back to playing olliolli...

Ryu

Hey Guys

The big reason why people keep playing Resogun and so many other games of this ilk is because of friend based leaderboards. Without them, there's no point in me recommending this to my friends. I like your game and I gave you $10+ for it, but if you want me to recommend it to my friends, you need to do more than tell me "we ran out of money!" followed by "we have started our next project."

ElNino

Sorry to hear that, I'm gonna start sounding like a broken record but we're working on it :) as someone else suggests a solid wifi connection will help and in some cases eliminate the crash completely
What if you have no WiFi connection at all? I do quite a bit of my Vita gaming during my commute to/from work and I have no WiFi connection at all during those times. I bought the game last night based on what I had read about it, but I have yet to play it.

Just got myself some OLLIOLLIOO! Can't wait to try it when I'm out of office.
Friend leaderboards is just one of those little things that really add to the experience of score attack based games. These days it should definitely be considered from the beginning.

Roll7tom

Neo Member
What if you have no WiFi connection at all? I do quite a bit of my Vita gaming during my commute to/from work and I have no WiFi connection at all during those times. I bought the game last night based on what I had read about it, but I have yet to play it.

Hmmm, not sure, if you do get the issue maybe try it on flight mode, we'll test and see.

Yanksfan

If the game sells decently, it would probably worth examining as the friends leaderboards were a huge part of me continuing to play MotorStorm RC (That game is a VERY good inspirational source for leaderboard integration) and recommending it to others.

But in any case, good luck with your next project :)

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Not trying to use my one measly purchase as justification to make any changes..but leaderboards make this type of game for me. I will never challenge for the overall #1 spot, but would be motivated to play for many hours to compete with my friends.

Hanmik

Hmmm, not sure, if you do get the issue maybe try it on flight mode, we'll test and see.

I have bad Wifi in my bedroom.. the game crashed 3 times within one hour there. Last night I played it in my living room, which has much better Wifi.. game crashed Zero Times.. so that might be it.

Top Bottom