• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon A Time S6 |OT| Magic Carpet Hyde

zeemumu

Way back in days of old

There was a legend told

About a hero known as Aladdin

I appreciate that Emma knew Jasmine's backstory because she saw the movie.

zeemumu

I hope that they aren't planning to have Zelena undergo some sort of redemption. By this point she and Rumple have flipflopped so hard so many times that it might actually be impossible for me to accept that either of them will redeem themselves. I still can't believe that she bought the bullshit that Evil Regina was feeding her. "Oh but if I had just told Henry that I was evil right off the bat he totally would've loved me." No, no he wouldn't. His entire reason for initially disliking her is because she was evil, not because she lied to him. In a way this is going to end up a twisted monkey's paw deal because all Zelena ever wanted was what Regina had and now Evil Regina is having her go down the exact path with her daughter that she went through with Henry, and that kid's gonna grow up resenting her.

I think the only possible way that I could allow a redemption is if this entire thing with Zelena bonding with Evil Regina is a work and she's actually planning to gain her trust so she can destroy her. Because by my count this is second chance #5. And unlike Rumple, she has done absolutely nothing in the way of redemption outside of stabbing Hades, and that was mostly because she was pissed at being used. And all that about her not having to change to be accepted doesn't make sense in this case. Yeah, you shouldn't have to change who you are to be liked, but that doesn't apply to torture and murder. You actually do have to change those. It's not like she was always like that. Even Regina wasn't always like that, and she walked it back to the the way she was before the revenge spree.

zeemumu

I don't think anyone's actually in here anymore but since it's the midseason finale I felt the need to update:

Emma and Regina are trapped in the Enchanted Matrix while Henry hunts them to the ends of the earth, Robin Hood has returned, the Black Fairy kidnapped her grandson, and Morpheus was evil all along.

I called that shit miles away.

I'm calling bullshit on
Morpheus baby.

How the hell does that baby know things that he wasn't there for?

I think it's just a guy working for Hyde to screw over Rumple on their deal.

It's a trick I tell ya

Glad Robin is back, I missed him.

And is the dude's name Morpheus or is it Gideon. I guess it's Gideon since Belle named him but he named himself after the God of Sleep as an evil moniker?

I don't think anyone's actually in here anymore but since it's the midseason finale I felt the need to update:

Emma and Regina are trapped in the Enchanted Matrix while Henry hunts them to the ends of the earth, Robin Hood has returned, the Black Fairy kidnapped her grandson, and Morpheus was evil all along.

I called that shit miles away.

Whoa what a swerve. What gave that away? I watch this show with my wife it's my guilty pleasure.

zeemumu

Whoa what a swerve. What gave that away? I watch this show with my wife it's my guilty pleasure.

It just seemed too contrived when they first introduced it, even for Once Upon a Time.

Glad Robin is back, I missed him.

And is the dude's name Morpheus or is it Gideon. I guess it's Gideon since Belle named him but he named himself after the God of Sleep as an evil moniker?

It's Gideon but he calls himself Morpheus initially to trick Rumple.

It just seemed too contrived when they first introduced it, even for Once Upon a Time.

Huh, we thought it made sense since he was trying to protect his mom. But like you said, going to have to rewatch the episodes with what you pointed out in mind.

Heh did not know there was a thread I will have to check in on here from time to time.

Kevin

I thought seasons 4 and 5 were rather boring (my favorite seasons were the first two). How is season 6 so far? Did it get any better?

zeemumu

I thought seasons 4 and 5 were rather boring (my favorite seasons were the first two). How is season 6 so far? Did it get any better?

There's a lot going on in season 6 and there isn't as much dead time as season 5. It's a lot of single episode evil plots and storylines that get mostly resolved but leave behind residual consequences, so it's probably closer to season 1 than any other season.

If you go back to the 3nd half of Season 3, Emma gets mad at Hook for not telling her about something straight away. The irony in that is insane.

zeemumu

That was a surprisingly good episode. Laughed my ass off at
old shitty Hook
. Nice to see some old characters back. Let out an audible "OH SHIT" when
Rumple dumped the remains of Belle out of that bag
, and now I really want to see what alternate Regina was like. My only gripe is that I feel like
the whole thing about Emma's fate and that sword fight that they've been building up to for half a season didn't have a good enough pay off. The resolution was essentially "fuck it."
And because of that I feel as though this episode would've worked better as a mid-season finale instead of a mid-season premiere

Yeah, that was pretty anti-climatic but LOL at bringing back Robin, demo I know but that was the ship-ship-shippiest bit of ship pandering this show might have ever done even more than the awful Hook/Emma pairing, that was some fan fiction level stuff.

Illucio

Banned
This whole episode was pretty meh.

And why is Pinocchio a grown ass adult again or did I miss something?

Belle/Rumple deciding to help their son is sort of okay. It's interesting, especially how if Rumple used the shears none of this would have happen.

But the whole "I must kill Emma to become the savior" thing was like... What? What would that accomplish. Couldn't you just get her help? This doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, that was pretty anti-climatic but LOL at bringing back Robin, demo I know but that was the ship-ship-shippiest bit of ship pandering this show might have ever done even more than the awful Hook/Emma pairing, that was some fan fiction level stuff.
Killing him was really stupid though so it kinda balances out

I know, I was enjoying him in the wishworld but suddenly he was there in the real world and I was like wtf?
I can't remember what happened to him before.

zeemumu

I know, I was enjoying him in the wishworld but suddenly he was there in the real world and I was like wtf?
I can't remember what happened to him before.

This whole episode was pretty meh.

Belle/Rumple deciding to help their son is sort of okay. It's interesting, especially how if Rumple used the shears none of this would have happen.

But the whole "I must kill Emma to become the savior" thing was like... What? What would that accomplish. Couldn't you just get her help? This doesn't make any sense.

They needed adult Pinnochio back for something in one of the prior episodes, but I don't remember what. One sec...

Okay, they turned him back into an adult because they needed info on the author and his child form didn't have his adult memories.

On their orders, she kidnaps Pinocchio, and with Maleficent, they take him to a cabin in the woods, where Mr. Gold reverts the boy into August with his dagger, hence returning his lost memories, so that they can torture him for information about the Author.

dr_mario

God, when did we have the last good episode? I really did enjoy it very much. BUt I try not to be hopeful....

That was a surprisingly good episode. Laughed my ass off at
old shitty Hook
. Nice to see some old characters back. Let out an audible "OH SHIT" when
Rumple dumped the remains of Belle out of that bag
, and now I really want to see what alternate Regina was like. My only gripe is that I feel like
the whole thing about Emma's fate and that sword fight that they've been building up to for half a season didn't have a good enough pay off. The resolution was essentially "fuck it."
And because of that I feel as though this episode would've worked better as a mid-season finale instead of a mid-season premiere

I have the feeling this was not the real sword fight. There a two options: Anti-climatic prophecy unfulfilment, or semi-clever red hering. Emma wears different clothes in the prophecy. So either the fight in this episode was not the prophecy fight, or they schanged the clothes so we can see that prophecies can be changed.

Or they just fucked up and didn't notice.

zeemumu

I was actually sort of enjoying the Hook and David buddy team up. They work sort of well together.

"Did you forget about my superpower?" Yes, Emma. Yes we did. And so did the writers. Apparently doubling down on the lie is enough to fool her superpower. I like that you can hear David close the door and his footsteps as he leaves the shed but somehow Emma doesn't.

What kind of bubble does Zelena live in where she thinks that Regina went to another dimension and brought back her dead boyfriend purely to steal her baby? I was hoping that she'd get her shit together after Regina yelled at her last time but it seems like they just ditched whatever plot they were trying to give her and put her back to her old cycle of assuming that the world is out to get her.

zeemumu

gordon.gif

No. just no.

NO.

W...T...F? I mean okay they wiped it away with that memory potion gimmick but that was ridiculous. Oh and LOL Baelfire looks older now than he did when he fell into that portal. I know they recast... Alright I just checked the show Wiki and apparently this new kid is actually is 12. o_O

Also the actress who plays the Blue Fairy really gets around these shows with magic.

ZeroCDR

The show continues to craft these abysmal flashbacks with retcons, just to be relevant in some way to the current episode. These last two were especially frustrating.

zeemumu

I'm not entirely sure how "fresh start" equals "sent back to realm where your adopted son hates you for killing his grandparents and is relentlessly hunting you" but okay.

The show continues to craft these abysmal flashbacks with retcons, just to be relevant in some way to the current episode. These last two were especially frustrating.

Im really tired of Evil Queen flashbacks, we have been past the saturation point for seasons now.

I'm not entirely sure how "fresh start" equals "sent back to realm where your adopted son hates you for killing his grandparents and is relentlessly hunting you" but okay.
I said the exact same thing.

I'm tired of flashbacks in general, they just feel like cheap way to try to connect everyone to everything beyond the first couple seasons. We joke about Oliver and the island on Arrow but Arrow has got nothing on this show.

Also, it still throws me for a loop seeing Rose McIver without her iZombie make up, I didn't think realize she played Tinkerbell on this show until I found out a year or so ago and her showing up again I had to remind myself that was her.

zeemumu

I'm tired of flashbacks in general, they just feel like cheap way to try to connect everyone to everything beyond the first couple seasons. We joke about Oliver and the island on Arrow but Arrow has got nothing on this show.

Also, it still throws me for a loop seeing Rose McIver without her iZombie make up, I didn't think realize she played Tinkerbell on this show until I found out a year or so ago and her showing up again I had to remind myself that was her.

It took me a while to realize that Josh Dallas was one of Thor's friends in Thor and Mad Hatter was The Winter Soldier

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Currently binge watching the show, into season 3. I love the twists they sometimes do. I especially like Peter Pan being a right evil bastard.

zeemumu

Jafar's such a troll, man. It's a little annoying that they never explain how he's able to do half the shit that he did,
like how he replaced Eric, or instantly un-genie'd himself. But he was really entertaining and it sucks that he's a stick now.

zeemumu

Weird that this never crossed my mind as an explanation for Gideon's insanely shitty path of logic. I'll accept it, I guess because I can logic that the tears of the savior were bullshit and the Black Fairy was actually keeping Hook from getting back herself and it had nothing to do with the tears.

Looks like we may be reaching the end of our story here.

Woah they actually got the dragon out of the mirror. This show will never end. Rumples grandmother will be even a bigger bitch and they'll need moana to help.

God they have to stop with these convoluted flashbacks that only set up a one episode contrived plot point.

Enjoyed this episode though. Tiger Lily was decent.

zeemumu

CURSE! CURSE! CURSE CURSE, CURSE CURSE! EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kinda liked this episode. I was wondering if they were gonna use this as an excuse to write Snow and Charming off of the show by having them remain perma-cursed.

Koomaster

Been catching up on this season and I'm really confused over the status of the wish-universe that Emma got sent to. Regina goes after her, proceeds to murder her parents to snap her out of things because supposedly things aren't real here so it doesn't matter. But then Robin shows up and she takes him to Storybrooke and treats him as if he was real. Which make it seem like she should have serious regrets about killing Snow and David there. She also didn't want to hurt Henry there so are the people there real, or not?

Later Robin returns there followed by the reformed Evil Queen. But this land just saw her come back, murder the King and Queen, then their daughter goes missing. Seems Knight/King Henry would be out for vengeance if she was ever spotted there again.

No one on the show ever mentions any of these issues. Am I crazy? Is this place real or not? Is the Evil Queen even real? Am I real? I just don't know anymore and the show isn't answering any of these questions.

zeemumu

Been catching up on this season and I'm really confused over the status of the wish-universe that Emma got sent to. Regina goes after her, proceeds to murder her parents to snap her out of things because supposedly things aren't real here so it doesn't matter. But then Robin shows up and she takes him to Storybrooke and treats him as if he was real. Which make it seem like she should have serious regrets about killing Snow and David there. She also didn't want to hurt Henry there so are the people there real, or not?

Later Robin returns there followed by the reformed Evil Queen. But this land just saw her come back, murder the King and Queen, then their daughter goes missing. Seems Knight/King Henry would be out for vengeance if she was ever spotted there again.

No one on the show ever mentions any of these issues. Am I crazy? Is this place real or not? Is the Evil Queen even real? Am I real? I just don't know anymore and the show isn't answering any of these questions.

No, you're not crazy. They did in fact screw over Evil Queens fresh start by sending her there. And as far as whether or not the people are real, it's a matter of perspective. From Regime's point of view, they're figment created by the wish. Her inability to harm Henry is because real or not she could never harm her son, and she treats Robin as real because she couldn't let him go.

But it's basically a world of clones, so clone ethics and whatnot

I really hope the season doesn't end on a cliffhanger and actually has closure because I kinda want the show to end. I know apparently the show creators/runners want to "reboot" the show a bit in season seven but god... Just let it end.

I wonder how it does internationally and if it's worth them keeping even though the domestic ratings have gone fractional. That and so much of ABC's line up not doing so great will probably be good enough reason to keep it.

zeemumu

I really hope the season doesn't end on a cliffhanger and actually has closure because I kinda want the show to end. I know apparently the show creators/runners want to "reboot" the show a bit in season seven but god... Just let it end.

I wonder how it does internationally and if it's worth them keeping even though the domestic ratings have gone fractional. That and so much of ABC's line up not doing so great will probably be good enough reason to keep it.

To me, "reboot" says "We're gonna end this season like we're ending the series just in case the network decides not to renew us for another season at the last minute but leave it open for more adventures if they do."

So this just occurred to me, black fairy is rumple's mother, yet rumple's son Gideon also calls her mom...

Yep, and Regina married Snow's father making her Snow's step-mother but she also adopted Henry making Henry and Snow non-biological siblings, so Emma's son is also her uncle and Regina is her grandmother through marriage. The only real time they address that any of this is weird is when Milah realizes that Emma was dating both Milah's ex and her son.

Velcro Fly

Yeah I wish this kind of thing would stop. Basically ruining characters one way or another with every time they do it. Some characters have gotten so convoluted with retcons that major plot points no longer make any sense or just new plot points make zero sense in terms of the already established lore.

zeemumu

"That ship has sailed and there's a pirate on it" was a pretty good line.

I'm glad that Zelena finally got some sort of action that goes the way of redemption this time around. This isn't killing your boyfriend of 3 days because you realized that he was using you. Her magic was part of her identity, and her being willing to give it up is actually a big deal.

That said, the Tin Man plot didn't really go anywhere. We were already aware that everyone in Oz hated her and with as many magic plot devices that they pull out every episode, I didn't really consider it to be important where she got that item. Regina could've just as easily had it laying around in her vault. Actually, a lot of the plotlines in this episode didn't really seem to go anywhere. The wedding thing that was such a big deal has basically been postponed until the end of the season since they don't want to get married until after the final battle and we never really figured out exactly what she was planning to do with all of those crystals or how they work so I wasn't feeling the gravity of the situation. The reason for needing Zelena for them just felt a little shoehorned in as a way to get Zelena to screw up one last time so they could have her walk it back.

I'll give the episode points for making Zelena likeable/sympathetic but the rest of the episode was somewhat weak when she wasn't involved.

Also thanks for never dropping that extremely important piece of information on the Black Fairy before you went into a magic coma, Blue.

Top Bottom