• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of the best hip hop albums of all time turns 20: Liquid Swords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

Liquid Swords by GZA is 20 years old today. It's easily my favorite Wu-Tang album and one of my favorite albums of all time. The dense lyrics combined with perhaps RZA's finest work on the boards just made for something special.

Genius_GZA_Liquid-Swords.jpg

impact

Banned
choose the sword, and you will join me
choose the ball, and you join your mother

probably the best solo Wu album
after Supreme Clientele

Without a doubt my favorite rap album of all time. No matter how many times I listen to it, it never ceases to amaze me on how new the sounds feel.

This, alongside Liquid Swords' spiritual sequel, Cannibal Ox's Cold Vein, which hits upon the same bleak, almost dystopian visions of New York, are albums that will never grow old for me.

Their best album. Give me that Shadowboxin.

I DON'T GIVE A COTTON PICKING FUCK ABOUT A BROTHA TRYING TO SIZE A N*GGA UP, I HOLD MY OWN!

Bacon

That rza verse on 4th chamber is just filthy.

"Ay yo, camoflouge chameleon, ninjas scalin' your buildin'
No time to grab the gun, they already got your wife and children"

I said god damn.

When a motherfucker steps out his place
And gets slapped in his motherfuckin face
Just because the motherfucker tried to base
The G.O.D., the G.O.D.

Still dope.

PillarEN

That rza verse on 4th chamber is just filthy.

"Ay yo, camoflouge chameleon, ninjas scalin' your buildin'
No time to grab the gun, they already got your wife and children"

I said god damn.

Was just about to say. People always rip on RZAs raps but his verse in 4th Chsmber is beautiful.

Duel of the Iron Mic is probably my favorite track though. Love the production on that one.

Shout out to Shane "Sony" "Man God" Bettenhausen who repped this album when he posted on GAF

EDIT: I have a physical cd but why why why do artists militantly scrub their works off YouTube? Can't even share these tracks with friends on the Internet to give them some 20th anniversary sampling. Boo

masud

Banned
I just found out that the hook from cold world was a riff on a Stevie Wonder song that id somehow never heard before.

He wasn't scared of the shogun, but the shogun was scared of him.
Maybe that was the problem.

Might be the best song intro ever crafted.

Bowdz

My all time favorite hip hop album. It is the grittiest album of the glory days of RZA's production and GZA absolutely murders every track he is on. By the by, literally every track is fucking incredible.

Demy

I've never heard of this album or artist but I'm gonna give it a go. Will report back with first impression. Given GAF's usual take on wu tang albums, I'm in the mood for something like this.

Bacon

I've never heard of this album or artist but I'm gonna give it a go. Will report back with first impression. Given GAF's usual take on wu tang albums, I'm in the mood for something like this.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Yo, Picture bloodbaths and elevator shafts

Like these murderous rhymes tight from genuine craft
Check the print, it's where veterans spark the letterings

Slow moving MC's is waiting for the editin

The liquid soluble that made up the chemistry

A gaseous element, that burned down your ministry

Tied with Cuban Linx for best Wu album ever

I gotta be honest and say I'd never heard this album until I saw this thread. I'm checking it out now and damn, this is amazing stuff. Love it.

Bacon

I gotta be honest and say I'd never heard this album until I saw this thread. I'm checking it out now and damn, this is amazing stuff. Love it.

This is exactly the reason why I made the thread. It's a great album but also somewhat unknown to a wider audience so I'm glad I could expose it to people who haven't heard it before!

This is exactly the reason why I made the thread. It's a great album but also somewhat unknown to a wider audience so I'm glad I could expose it to people who haven't heard it before!

Guess it paid off pretty well man! Definitely see what you mean. I'm glad you did just because it introduced me to such a really cool album. Always feels good to share stuff you love with others!

one of the greatest albums ever, and is probably my favourite Wu album. I like Supreme Clientele just as much, if not more, but that's more of a Ghostface solo rather than a "Wu" album like Liquid Swords is (the 1st gen of Wu solos were still family efforts).

Eos

Yo, Picture bloodbaths and elevator shafts
Like these murderous rhymes tight from genuine craft
Check the print, it's where veterans spark the letterings
Slow moving MC's is waiting for the editing
The liquid soluble that made up the chemistry
A gaseous element, that burned down your ministry
Herbal vapors and biblical papers
Smoking Exodus, every square yard is plush
Fuck the screw-faced photo sessions facial expression
Leaves impressions, try to keep a shark nigga guessing
Give crazy shouts Son here's the outcome
Cut across the semi-gloss rhymes you floss
Shit is outdated, just like neckloads of Sterlings
Suede-fronts, bell-bottoms, and tri-colored Shearlings
I ain't particular, I bang like vehicular homicides
On July 4th in Bed-Stuy
Where money don't grown on trees and there's thieving MC's
Who cut-throat to rake leaves
They can't breathe, blood splash, rushing fast
Like running rivers, I be that whiskey in your liver

rldNeD5.gif

I said this in the OT thread the other day but my favourite tracks tied between Duel of the Iron Mic and Cold World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom