• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of the best MMO's just dropped their last expansion a few days ago, Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons

Bragr

Banned
Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons is the last big expansion for the 9-year-old acclaimed MMO. If you never played it, you can play it for free, and it's well worth the time.

We are still waiting for Guild Wars 2 on Steam, if it will ever happen. And eventually, Guild Wars 3 in a few years.

end-of-dragons-ogimage.jpg

og-img.f6214476.jpg

GuildEmblem2.jpg

UnNamed

Banned
Wow, Guilwars2 , it was like 2007, I bought it at launch, I still have the game somewhere. I always loved its aesthetics, its like it never gets old.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
How did the story progress? I really liked the game but dropped out after the first expansion dropped. Is there a good video showing the whole story up to now?

They have improved the performance of the game considerably with the dx11 update. Though for new players or returning players, there’s a lot in the way of catching up. Like purchasing episodes of seasonal content that is imperative to the overall story and plot.

Still it’s a great mmo, it’s a shame it didn’t take off as much as it could have compared to other titans of the genre.

Guild Wars 2 is weird. It was released, was pretty popular and then I never hear about expect some minor story every few years. I assume they are doing fine financially, but seems like releasing on Steam or at least Epic would benefit them.

Bragr

Banned
Guild Wars 2 is weird. It was released, was pretty popular and then I never hear about expect some minor story every few years. I assume they are doing fine financially, but seems like releasing on Steam or at least Epic would benefit them.
The game lives on users buying content in-game, Steam and Epic would take a piece of that pie, so I assume they are hesitant.

The game lives on users buying content in-game, Steam and Epic would take a piece of that pie, so I assume they are hesitant.
From what I've heard, Epic doesn't charge a fee for F2P game microtransactions. Presumably because they want to make that the standard on PC so that it also applies to their own games. They do charge for proper expansions sold on the store though.

Jennings

Guild Wars 2 was a gorgeous soulless hollow game. I'm a treasure hunter and this game had no treasure worth finding and the worst dungeons ever.

KiteGr

This MMO is fantastic for us working adults. Why aren't more people talking about it?

Here's a video to get some quick info.

Edit. 2/3 of OP's pictures aren't even from the expansion...

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I tried it again a few months ago. I was bored of shadowlands. Games great. Really clicked this time. I've put a lot of time into it. I'm working through PoF right now. Then Elden Ring happened. I'll be going back though.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The fundament og the game is really good.

The thing that always keeps me away is the damn combat.

I love to be able to look cool. A necromancer that uses an axe does not look cool.

Eventually I have up on looking awesome and played the game for a bit. Ut eventually i just lost interest again.

Everyone knows about guild wars 2. But the combat really holds it back.

KiteGr

There's a reason why no one's talking about it.

And it's that Guild Wars 2 isn't even close to "One of the best MMOs."
I've seen plenty of MMO comparison videos over the years, and unlike the vast majority of other MMOs that come and go, GW2 is always among the top, and while it occasionally falters, it never goes down over the 10 years of existing.
Here's just some random youtube searches after typing "MMO comparison".

You can say it isn't the most popular compared to the giants that are based on popular licenses, but you can't say it isn't among the best.
As a mater of fact, they DO plan to release on steam "soon tm".
When it comes to new players, the biggest issue is the early content, that just like Vanila WoW, it's very outdated, and during the first season of content patches, they followed a "only for those who where there" approach, and everything was temporary.
Guild Wars 2 was a gorgeous soulless hollow game. I'm a treasure hunter and this game had no treasure worth finding and the worst dungeons ever.
As I said above... vanilla content. There is IMO no MMO with better exploration than GW2. Especially when it comes to open world.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Guild Wars 2 was weird. No holy trinity, dungeons were ass, there was no gear progression. It was like a game you were meant to play while focusing on something else. As an MMO it's ass, as a weird online adventure game with no real goal it's ok.

RespawnX

Without doubt the best MMO. End game content evolved quite good since original launch. End game is skill based with high variety of play styles thanks to the specialization system. Problem is introduction into the game, they never invested into a good (guided) starting experience. I imagine that a lot of people get lost on their way. At least they finally managed to implement a mechanics tutorial with the new addon

The other problem is the abysmal marketing. They never manage to build hype Outside of the Guild Wars 2 community. So, you didn’t hear anything about the expansion? Nobody wonders with this lacking communication.

But speaking community, the game has a very gentle community with lots of players helping each other.

KiteGr

The marketing is almost non-existent.
Besides the few trailers on Youtube and an ad with the turtle mount I occasionally see on 9gag, nothing would remind me that the expansion is actually about to launch, and before the video I posted above, I had very knowledge about what it included. It's even hard to find proper gameplay footage beyond what the early users are uploading.

Top Bottom