• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of the most overrated films I've seen..

Status
Not open for further replies.

-viper-

Banned
Taxi Driver.

It was so boring I wanted to sleep. I expected something good (based on what everyone has said about it), but it wasn't. It got better towards the end, but I still thought it was a waste of my two hours and I want them back. I would rather watch Street Fighter The Movie 3x in a row than to watch Taxi Driver again. Oh and don't tell me BUT YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE STORY etc... because I did

Discuss.

Noss

I am not a huge fan of Taxi Driver other than it inspired a man to try and kill the president just for some hot hot 12 year old prostitute action (???).

But eh, there are plenty of movies I'll never understand why people absolutely adore. 2001: a space odyssey. Scarface (quite possibly the worst attempt at an accent in cinematic history), or to a lesser extent...Event Horizon.

Thank god for assholes and elbows.

Jak140

OP, I think this is the movie you were looking for:

B00074CBIS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

-viper- said:
Taxi Driver.

It was so boring I wanted to sleep. I expected something good (based on what everyone has said about it), but it wasn't. It got better towards the end, but I still thought it was a waste of my two hours and I want them back. I would rather watch Street Fighter The Movie 3x in a row than to watch Taxi Driver again. Oh and don't tell me BUT YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE STORY etc... because I did

Discuss.
I have never seen this film.

I cannot stand people who phrases like: "I still thought it was a waste of my two hours and I want them back"

Throughout your life you have willingly chose to waste your time just like you did when you watched this movie. When you don't like something stop watching! It's your fault and your choice. Just like all the times you procrastinated and hurt your grade. It's not the fault of whoever hyped up the film.

You're wasting even more time making this thread bitching about it.

Busty

Banned
I swear I thought the film in the OP was going to be Garden State when I read the thread title.

I never saw the big deal about that film. All modern hipster soundtrack and no substance at at all.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I was almost positive this thread would be about American Psycho.

slider

Busty said:
I swear I thought the film in the OP was going to be Garden State when I read the thread title.

I never saw the big deal about that film. All modern hipster soundtrack and no substance at at all.

You did well man. I didn't even notice the hipster soundtrack (it'd be soooo me), as I was too busy wtfing*.

*Feel free to replace with picardwtfisthisshit.gif.

NotWii

Banned
I thought this thread was going to be about the FOUR HOURS OF SAND known as Lawrence of Arabia

Yeah, I'd say Taxi Driver's pretty overrated ... just like Martin Scorcese, badum tish!

And Garden State plain sucks!

I don't know if it's THAT overrated.

It's just not that amazing either.

It's an ok film in an era when there weren't many great films, so it seemed better than it was.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
2 Minutes Turkish said:
I don't know if it's THAT overrated.

It's just not that amazing either.

It's an ok film in an era when there weren't many great films, so it seemed better than it was.

Uhhhhh, I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks the 70's was a bad time for film.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
VistraNorrez said:
I wouldn't call it a bad time, but I don't really think it's better than any other era.

I first saw TD in 2001 and I loved it despite not knowing much about the period or NYC. I can understand some people being bored by it though. Not everyone can relate to Travis.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Plinko said:
I was almost positive this thread would be about American Psycho.

Which would make sense.

This, on the other hand, does not.

Rewrite said:
Watch The Deer Hunter instead if you haven't.
:lol Oh man. That movie wasnt bad, but far out it took forever to move. The wedding scene was entirely superfluous, and went for about 30 minutes!!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it's not for everyone. feeling middling about it is fine; making a thread about it and not making any cogent arguments concerning your criticisms was a mistake.

go sit in the corner.

bjaelke

This thread turned into a "list the most overrated film you've seen.."-thread?

I'll join in with The Godfather!

Costanza

Banned
after loving Observe and Report I finally watched this for the first time about a week ago. really great movie IMO.

I didn't find it boring at all. Are you the kind of person who needs shit to be blowing up every five minutes to find a movie interesting?

Busty

Banned
bjaelke said:
This thread turned into a "list the most overrated film you've seen.."-thread?

I'll join in with The Godfather!

Let me guess.... "It insists upon itself..."

Costanza said:
....after loving Observe and Report .

You Sir are a man of taste, sophistication and class. Like me.

*adjusts tie*

xabre

Banned
I'd say the Godfather I and II, Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now, Schindler's List, Pulp Fiction, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Seven Samurai...all extremely overrated junk. Empire Strikes Back as well. Campy garbage.

The absolute worst of all would have to be some Batman movie though like, oh I dunno, THE DARK KNIGHT. Terrible, terrible film. My mission now in life is to invent a time machine so I can get those two hours back.

xabre said:
I'd say the Godfather I and II, Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now, Schindler's List, Pulp Fiction, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Seven Samurai...all extremely overrated junk. Empire Strikes Back as well. Campy garbage.

The absolute worst of all would have to be some Batman movie though like, oh I dunno, THE DARK KNIGHT. Terrible, terrible film. My mission now in life is to invent a time machine so I can get those two hours back.

1224367887012.jpg

1043.gif

-viper-

Banned
Hitman said:
List 5 favorite movies now, OP.
There are a lot of movies that I like. Just on the top of my head...

Terminator 1/2
LOTR series
Braveheart
Seven
Gladiator
Snatch
The Usual Suspects
Die Hard 1, 2, 3
The Game
Army of Darkness
Leon The Professional
Iron Man
Inside Man
Man On Fire
Enter The Dragon
Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Indiana Jones 1
The Matrix
Transformers
The Shining
Silence of the Lambs

I'm sure there are many, many more films that I have enjoyed. But these are some I can think off the top of my head.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you like many good movies, but your list will be picked apart for flaws and films people disagree with and used as evidence that you have poor taste. i wish you the best of luck, but you are doomed.

oneHeero

I think Milk, Slumdog, etc all those movies sucked. Bored the shit out of me, shit I think most movies that win oscars suck and are fucken boring. Fuck GAF movie elitist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom