• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Kaizoku Musou Announced (PS3, Namco Bandai X Tecmo Koei)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Playable character list is a joke. With the price tag being what it is and DLC already being readied, it's pretty fucking clear they plan on nickle and diming the shit out of One Piece fans with this.

Randy

Thought I was gonna get it during my trip to Japan, but after seeing some gameplay footage on Justin and checking out the trophy list, I'm going to wait for a decent price drop. Dull gameplay and the shortage on different story events doesn't make this a day 1 title anymore. Shame, OP has such potential to bring forth an awesome videogame.

Torraz

Thought I was gonna get it during my trip to Japan, but after seeing some gameplay footage on Justin and checking out the trophy list, I'm going to wait for a decent price drop. Dull gameplay and the shortage on different story events doesn't make this a day 1 title anymore. Shame, OP has such potential to bring forth an awesome videogame.

Yeah, I was pretty sure that I was going to import this day 1, but that stream didn't really grab me. Rounds seem like they're longer than Gundam Warriors 3, which is too bad, since I loved those ultra-quick rounds.

Bebpo

Banned
On top of paying $120 to import the game, I've already spent another $6 just on the Luffy Samurai Costume :( This is going to be an expensive game by the time all the DLC is released. Damn you Namco!

Someone should make an OT as importers get it over the weekend.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an Asian version of this or just Japan only so far?

I just want English text and Japanese voice. Is that so much to ask?!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Played this for a bit yesterday.

The main story mode definitely is more along the lines of Hokuto Musou, in that you're not on huge maps, but more linear Sengoku Basara style stages, beating up waves of enemies. There's also platforming sections where Luffy uses his stretch abilities to jump/fly around levels with large amounts of water.

The game looks great, but has frame rate issues. It's kind of disappointing when the in-game cut scenes look beautiful, then the action starts and the frame rate feels like it's going at half the speed.

Torraz

Can anyone who already has the game elaborate on the length of single matches/rounds of gameplay? I was very pleasantly surprised with Gundam Musou's (very) short rounds. What is the average length in one piece musou? The live stream I watched showed some pretty long rounds, but as far as I know that person didn't play well...

i noticed the game has a 2.5 stars rating on amazon.jp

very low, considering is the same score got by Asura's Wrath and New Love Plus... is it so bad or serious bugs ?

i noticed the game has a 2.5 stars rating on amazon.jp

very low, considering is the same score got by Asura's Wrath and New Love Plus... is it so bad or serious bugs ?

From what I can make out of the top two amazon.jp reviews, people are feeling a little ripped off. It's a very thin playable roster compared to other Musou games, and if you're used to the mainline Musou series the fights themselves lack a certain feel (not enough enemies, too many QTE events).

That's just going off the top two amazon reviews. There's also some of the usual grumbling about DLC.

mintylurb

From what I can make out of the top two amazon.jp reviews, people are feeling a little ripped off. It's a very thin playable roster compared to other Musou games, and if you're used to the mainline Musou series the fights themselves lack a certain feel (not enough enemies, too many QTE events).

That's just going off the top two amazon reviews. There's also some of the usual grumbling about DLC.

Yikes. I was contemplating on whether or not to import it. You just saved me $100+.

blind51de

Banned
How interesting are the (non-canon) side-stories? I really love that kind of fanservice in a DW game, and it's really important if weapons (my other favorite aspect) aren't around. Roster size isn't that big a problem. I enjoyed Hokuto Musou despite its slow pacing.

No one else got it? Seems odd considering how many unit sales it got but more DLC, Ace.
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/19/one-piece-pirate-warriors-dlc-sets-sail-on-these-dates/

March 22 – Boa Hancock island costume & additional scenario (recommended level: 30)

March 29 – Sanji costume & additional scenario (recommended level: 35)

April 5 – Robin costume & additional scenario (recommended level: 35)

April 12 – Chopper costume & additional scenario (recommended level: 40)

April 19 – Nami Strong World costume & additional scenario (recommended level: 40)

April 26 – Usopp costume & additional scenario (recommended level: 50)

May 5 – Ace Strong World costume & additional scenario

Reknoc

So it seems less Dynasty Warriors Gundam and more Fist of the Northstar? Eh, glad I didn't import, but I'll still get it day one when it's released over here.

aechris

Game finally showed up from Play-Asia, nearly a month in transit. :(

It's amazing. It is very similar to Hokuto Musou but it's a lot quicker paced. I think it's a good game on it's own, but if you are a big One Piece fan it's a must-play. For the most part they did a great job of capturing a lot of more emotional scenes. It's fun to blow through everything again without watching 500 episodes.

If anyone remembers the Gamecube game Treasure Battle with the slots and the cards, this has got a coin collection thing that is great for the OCD part of me that needs to get everything (even if it is just replaying levels and crossing your fingers that you get the right one).

Kusagari

I expected it to be more like Fist of the North Star. Ehh, I'll still buy it day one if it's released over here or in Europe.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This game is even less "Musou" than FoTN was (and really that's not even true since FoTN has a traditional Musou-like mode in addition to the more linear story mode) and is really more like a traditional beat-em-up with some platforming-style sections.

It's great for One Piece fans but I'm not sure I'd bother with it if you just want another Musou. Get Warriors Orochi 3 instead.

I expected it to be more like Fist of the North Star. Ehh, I'll still buy it day one if it's released over here on in Europe.

It's good, but FoTN is the better game.

Top Bottom