• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece (Live Action) | Review Thread

taizuke

I've only seen the first two episodes, and I've seen maybe one or two cringy looking characters, but overall, I'm loving it. That said, I've never seen the anime.

I've been thinking of getting into the One Piece anime, but since that's such a daunting task, I decided to only watch what the first season the Netflix show covers. Does anyone know up what episode that is in the anime?

Batiman

Banned
I've only seen the first two episodes, and I've seen maybe one or two cringy looking characters, but overall, I'm loving it. That said, I've never seen the anime.

I've been thinking of getting into the One Piece anime, but since that's such a daunting task, I decided to only watch what the first season the Netflix show covers. Does anyone know up what episode that is in the anime?
I only watched 2 episodes as well but they’re speeding through the story here in the live action, and it’s actually done pretty well. I think this live action will finish at episode 44 in the anime. Cutting a lot of filler between most important parts. (If you want to call it filler)

So they’re technically making 44 anime episodes into 8. At this rate they could actually catch up to the anime in no time. Lol

Last edited:

You can catch up faster through the fan project in onepace.net. Still recommend you to watch the whole show though. A lot of its charm lies in the characters interactions and world building.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I absolutely love the way they've done Arlong. He's like the racist psychopath who actually makes good points about prejudice.

He's almost a sympathetic character.

GymWolf

I have no idea how the fuck they spend 18 mil per episode with such shitty action scenes...

Like i saw sify serials with way better action scenes than this stuff, they look so bad and slow and fake.

I don't know why they insist in making the actors learn martial arts and shit when 6 months to even 1 year of training is not gonna bring them nowhere close the level of stunt double that do this stuff for their entire life.

What happened to stunt double for action scenes when the actors are trash at them?

And, is it me or kobi look EXACTLY like a male(?) Version of that annoying snl blonde comedian that was in the 2016 ghostbusters...

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I only watched 2 episodes as well but they’re speeding through the story here in the live action, and it’s actually done pretty well. I think this live action will finish at episode 44 in the anime. Cutting a lot of filler between most important parts. (If you want to call it filler)

So they’re technically making 44 anime episodes into 8. At this rate they could actually catch up to the anime in no time. Lol
Looks like this. I was surprised to see the Arlon fight in only 8 episodes.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
They actually even managed to do the nami desperation scene justice, I'm impressed.
It seemed like it would be hard to translate the sentence luffy says at the end 1:1, because it leans heavily on the phonetics of japanese, but it still came across very well.
Of course the scene in the source material is top tier, but they did good here.

Thorpe

Finished up the episodes yesterday and thought it was fine. I was also one of the folks that thought Cowboy Bebop was fine (for what we got) given the source material it is based on and the near-impossible expectations of doing a 1-to-1 adaptation at this point. I put One Piece on the same level, but likely a bit more easier for most folks to watch and enjoy. Given what they accomplished, I think it is a promising entry for getting faithful attempts at more live action versions of other anime/manga properties (for better or worse).

Even though some portions of the story were modified/trimmed, I think they still did a faithfully good interpretation. Curious if this was a result of Oda being involved or he's just "involved by name" for marketing/fan confidence.

My biggest concern are the fights and their energy so far, especially Luffy's. It's going to get much harder to showcase as they dive deeper in the story because the fights he gets involved with increase tremendously in magnitude, energy, recklessness, and craziness. I'm figuring Luffy's fight scenes were limited (including screen time) to only a few moves/actions due to technical capabilities with production (and budget). I feel Netflix will greenlight a second season, but they have been notorious for killing additional seasons - so who knows at this point. I'd be neutral if this only got one season or if it got more pretty much.

Casting is OK so far. It's one of those series where you eventually start liking them the more time goes by. I'm still mixed on Luffy/Nami, but I'm sure they'll fill their roles as the story goes on.

Dedicated Anime/Manga Fans - They will definitely have some nitpicks and general consensus will be mixed.

Casual Fans and those not familiar with the manga/anime - I feel they'll generally find it watchable (or at least check it out given the hype/marketing) and/or like it enough to possibly check out the Anime/Manga. If there is a season 2, it is going to be a long ass wait - talking like 2025+.

The Live Action version isn't a replacement for the Anime/Manga and never was. It's just another outlet/medium to show current fans (and newcomers) what One Piece is about - even if it isn't a 1-to-1 adaptation. Although, if this gets multiple seasons - we'll see if Oda wraps up One Piece by then, otherwise might end up like Game of Thrones lol. One Piece does have quite a few arcs, so they could always end it on one of those safely.

LimanimaPT

I haven't watch the anime nor read the manga and I know nothing about the characters.
I've watched episode one and I'm surprised I liked it.
I was finding it too corny at the beggining, but I stared to enjoy it as the episode progressed. I think the actor that plays the rubber guy (forgot he's name) did it for me. He's great.
The CGI is surprisingly good and I liked the choreography of the fight sequences.
Maybe the fact that I know nothing about the original work from the manga and anime helped.
Ho, and the girl, she's plain beatiful...

Last edited:

Tams

I also went in knowing almost nothing about One Piece.

I take back my scepticism. Yes, it's cheesy, goofy, corny, and cheap looking in places, with a bit too much monologuing, in that Netflix show way. But... it works. The CGI is good enough to make it not jarring and while there is some 'cosplayness' to the costumes, they are well done and match the tone of the show.

It's a fantastic romp, and I hope it gets a second series.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I think this actually might be the best adaptation netflix has done since a series of unfortunate events, just purely looking the quality of the adaptation itself.
If there's anything else I'm drawing a blank.

Ho, and the girl, she's plain beatiful...
Emily Rudd is indeed stunning, but in a very grounded, down to earth approachable way, which makes her casting as nami fit very well; nami is supposed to be just that, there are a few other female characters that are supposed to be almost otherworldly beautiful, so it's good they didn't go for someone like that for nami.
The casting in general is just surprisingly good overall.

Like i saw sify serials with way better action scenes than this stuff, they look so bad and slow and fake.

I don't know why they insist in making the actors learn martial arts and shit when 6 months to even 1 year of training is not gonna bring them nowhere close the level of stunt double that do this stuff for their entire life.

What happened to stunt double for action scenes when the actors are trash at them?
Netflix recently released a behind the scenes video on the stunt work:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So about Naomi's sister...

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Typical Netflix.

Last edited:

Majukun

reached episode 6 and my opinion on the thing is split...the first 4 episodes are kinda ok, but whatever has been adapted ended up making a worse version than what was in the manga...i get what they were trying to do, but i still see the manga version as much better.

episode 5 and 6 is where this show turns from ok to good. here the changes made create something that is not straight up worse than the original, but just, different, both introducing it's own stuff, or just bringing out early some themes that would appear much later. Only tiny little issues with these episodes is turning
mihawk into a flamboyant guy instead of the no-nonsense guy that is so above you that he doesn't even see you
and
turning the shichibukai into pirates that continue doing piracy in plain sight instead that somehow covert albeit still obvious to the high ranks of the marines

So about Naomi's sister...

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Typical Netflix.
well in the manga she is dark skinned-ish, more latina than afroamerican, but still

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Finished the season, and overall I think they nailed it. As a manga follower, I really enjoyed it.

Main cast is on spot. Didn't dislike anyone, however I felt Sanji's personality was a bit toned down. He is perhaps the most difficult one to manage in that regard, considering today's woke agenda.

Never thought Netflix would be able to respect the source material like this and pull it off.

The ending is fire, but to be honest this was perhaps the easier arc to adapt.

From here on out it's gonna get crazy CGI wise.

Yoboman

Finished the season, and overall I think they nailed it. As a manga follower, I really enjoyed it.

Main cast is on spot. Didn't dislike anyone, however I felt Sanji's personality was a bit toned down. He is perhaps the most difficult one to manage in that regard, considering today's woke agenda.

Never thought Netflix would be able to respect the source material like this and pull it off.

The ending is fire, but to be honest this was perhaps the easier arc to adapt.

From here on out it's gonna get crazy CGI wise.
Sanji was never going to be twirling around with loveheart eyes, what were you expecting?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

For what it's worth, each episode is the length of almost 3 anime episodes. So they're really only cutting it down to 24 episodes, which is respectable.

Yoboman

For what it's worth, each episode is the length of almost 3 anime episodes. So they're really only cutting it down to 24 episodes, which is respectable.
Longer as each Anime episode crams in opening and ending into its run time and sometimes a recap as well

Hardensoul

I have no idea how the fuck they spend 18 mil per episode with such shitty action scenes...

And, is it me or kobi look EXACTLY like a male(?) Version of that annoying snl blonde comedian that was in the 2016 ghostbusters...
They filmed during Covid and they built a lot of the sets and ships. Covid prolonged a lot of the shoots.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Action scenes were okay
I wouldn't tell anybody to watch it for the action

But I wouldn't tell anybody to watch the anime for the action as well

I do think the best example of Luffys powers was the opening, where he's leaping around and stretching to dodge.

Apparently that was one of the reshoots so it may be something they improve in later seasons as they get used to how they need to film for the powerset

That said, it's never going to be the Raid. Super powers just never come off with the execution of proper martial arts stunts. It's why the best action in an MCU movie was Winter Soldier, cause they might as well not have had powers

Finally finished all episode.
I still think this is bad show.
Bad fight scene, cheap costume, change character race, trimmed story and bad cgi. Yeah this is netflix alright.
They cut all Don Krieg part and give Koby too much screen time. Honestly who give a fuck about Koby, why does he show up this much.
I only like Buggy and Zoro.

GymWolf

Bad fight scene, cheap costume, change character race, trimmed story and bad cgi. Yeah this is netflix alright.
They cut all Don Krieg part and give Koby too much screen time. Honestly who give a fuck about Koby, why does he show up this much.
You didn't liked mihawk? I thought he was one of the few highlights...

Last edited:

thefool

Its a horrible fucking show. There is nothing salvageable here, pure schlock, similar to what japan has been pumping for years. Its also a toned down, cookie-cutter adaptation of the manga.

Hardensoul

They didn’t cut Don Krieg, how did you miss him fighting Mihawk?

The costumes are canon to the covers in manga. It’s cool Easter egg and doesn’t make there characters static.

The show is condensed and they wanted to still show who/what the Marines are like by discovering it through Colby.

It’s impossible to do a 1 to 1 with the limited time/episodes. Overall I think they did great job capturing the essence of One Piece.

Flutta

Banned
Bruh the cringe in this show is too much… i stopped watching after 20 min. It was too much, how do you guys manage? Seriously. WTF did i just watch…

Hardensoul

Bruh the cringe in this show is too much… i stopped watching after 20 min. It was too much, how do you guys manage? Seriously. WTF did i just watch…
All anime, comics, super heroes and fantasy are cringe cringe cringe. Only real is real….

Why even try!!!!

Yoboman

Koby is fast becoming one of the most important characters. Maybe you're not caught up on the manga?

They didn’t cut Don Krieg, how did you miss him fighting Mihawk?

The costumes are canon to the covers in manga. It’s cool Easter egg and doesn’t make there characters static.

The show is condensed and they wanted to still show who/what the Marines are like by discovering it through Colby.

It’s impossible to do a 1 to 1 with the limited time/episodes. Overall I think they did great job capturing the essence of One Piece.

What i mean is Don Krieg boss fight in Sanji place . It's most epic battle before enter the grand line. Why do they cut it? Because of the budget? They pour 18 millions per episode for what? Building 2,3 ships?

Remember best manga adaptation movie Rurouni Kenshin only have 10 millions budget and it's much better than this shit.

I understand what they trying to do with Koby and Garp and Luffy but honestly it isn't that importain even in the manga. Wrong focus. Again, Nobody give a shit about marine purpose.

Koby is fast becoming one of the most important characters. Maybe you're not caught up on the manga?
I read manga to the part luffy win again Kaido. I don't remember him that importain. But maybe it's just me.
I only like the manga before cp9 arc. After that i find it become boring so i just read for caught up the story and don't pay much attention. Too many new characters lol.

Hardensoul

What i mean is Don Krieg boss fight in Sanji place . It's most epic battle before enter the grand line. Why do they cut it? Because of the budget? They pour 18 millions per episode for what? Building 2,3 ships?

Remember best manga adaptation movie Rurouni Kenshin only have 10 millions budget and it's much better than this shit.

I understand what they trying to do with Koby and Garp and Luffy but honestly it isn't that importain even in the manga. Wrong focus. Again, Nobody give a shit about marine purpose.

I read manga to the part luffy win again Kaido. I don't remember him that importain. But maybe it's just me.
I only like the manga before cp9 arc. After that i find it become boring so i just read for caught up the story and don't pay much attention. Too many new characters lol.
If you think Don Krieg fight is most epic I can respect that and understand why you didn’t like the change. But I barely remember it and this was a long ways before they enter the grand line. They setting up someone we really want to see in Logetown - teased in the end credits!

If you didn’t like my explanation of Garp/Coby - agree to disagree. For new viewers it was needed and help explained about the Marines through them.

But you are dead wrong that no one gives a shit about Marines purpose. Are you sure you know One Piece to say something like that.

Again the budget was big due to filming during Covid that’s why some scenes don’t have as many people in it and shoots took longer.

Last edited:
If you think Don Krieg fight is most epic I can respect that and understand why you didn’t like the change. But I barely remember it and this was a long ways before they enter the grand line. They setting up someone we really want to see in Logetown - teased in the end credits!

If you didn’t like my explanation of Garp/Coby - agree to disagree. For new viewers it was needed and help explained about the Marines through them.

But you are dead wrong that no one gives a shit about Marines purpose. Are you sure you know One Piece to say something like that.

Again the budget was big due to filming during Covid that’s why some scenes don’t have as many people in it and shoots took longer.
Let's just agree to disagree.
I know shouldn't talk about this with hardcore fan. Cheers.

Top Bottom