• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One specific person assumes PS5 3rd Party Devs Are Finding Hardware Troublesome™, “Sony Too” May be Common

You are correct, not every GPU transistor is turned on even when OSD shows 99% GPU usage, but the thing is GPU was still forced to run at max clocks for the vast majority of time and it will be the same on PS5 if only games will run with unlocked framerate or dynamic resolution.
This is exactly what smartshift is for, prevent wasteful use to allow the machine to reach higher clocks when they are actually needed (Cerny gave the horizon zero dawn map screen as an example, it "stresses" the GPU quite a lot, but in fact it's not demanding.

Now, I don't get how they differentiate between actual need and fake GPU stress (I imagine that they take the target frame rate into account and evaluate the required voltage for any given scanline or something, then they just adjust resources accordingly).

Virex

Banned
Devs are having problems with the Ouya 2 dev kits as well. It's too powerful. They can't lock framerates or resolutions. Keeps going over 240fps and 16K.

Developers have spoken loud and clear, from the folks at Infinity Ward to Remedy everyone can't wait for PS5 and are all incredibly excited. Hit the play button, it's timestamped

It's a marketing video so I really wouldn't take that into consideration.

However developers themselves have praised the system so I personally don't think it's a mess like some people here want you to believe.

Sure it has disadvantages when compared to the XSX. I believe almost everyone here accepts that. But it isn't a broken overheating pile of crap that some rumors point it out as.

Sony can release a broken product but I highly doubt they are going to do that.

Last edited:

pixelation

Please don’t interpret this as me weighing in on either console, but...

Fuck 4k because the dorklings from Digital Foundry—a bunch of guys with ZERO dev experience—say something?

What?!

You have your own eyes, right? And your own brain? I’d imagine you’re just as capable as developing your own opinion about something as, say, Digital Foundry is?

Also, I’ve spent the last year or so with an RTX 2080ti, and DLSS is not more impressive than native 4K, IMO.
I don't give a rats ass about native 4K, give me more eye candy with DLSS or heck... even 1080p and I'll gladly take it over a compromised game with less bells and whistles just because it checks that 4K checkbox... who cares?.

I don't give a rats ass about native 4K, give me more eye candy with DLSS or heck... even 1080p and I'll gladly take it over a compromised game with less bells and whistles just because it checks that 4K checkbox... who cares?.
Apparently there is some kind of Pride, some kind of gusto, machismo, that is bestowed upon you when Native 4K is next to a game on your preferred plastic. Some people need it, you clearly do not.

It's mostly bragging rights for virtual dick measuring contests!

Last edited:

Pallas

Negative PS5 news and it’s automatically deemed bullshit? It’s not unrealistic to think that 3rd party developers might have some issues with AMD’s SmartShift process.

What would the reaction be if this was actually true though? Bias against Sony? Xbox discord diabolical plan? Microsoft money hat?

Issue or not, I’m sure it’ll get worked through and deliver some amazing games on the PS5.
This is a full on campaign now. "Insider" army to Xbox's rescue. In the past 24h they are all repeating the same, they all have the same information. Very convenient.
You honestly believe this is a misinformation campaign on Xbox’s behalf? Tinfoil hat anyone?

chilichote

Negative PS5 news and it’s automatically deemed bullshit? It’s not unrealistic to think that 3rd party developers might have some issues with AMD’s SmartShift process.
Devs don't have to use Smart Shift at all, also because there are fixed profiles.

Last edited:
Jeff already backtracking on this (and one of his sources apparently being DuskGolem I guess) aside, I do find it hilarious how we're hearing that the system we've seen games running on is the ones devs are allegedly struggling with, and yet the system we've yet to see ANY gameplay running on is handling everything so flawlessly, without effort.

Hell, even Halo Infinite was running on a freakin' PC.

But yeah, sure, the PS5 is causing trouble even for Sony. Which is why Insomniac's got two games running great on it, one of which has the option of full raytracing or 4K/60.

God, the FUD circus is already getting old.

Last edited:

Zato

Banned
So DuskGolem was full of shit as was Grubb ......... hey it worked .... aall the Xbox simps where straight on their dicks.

Wankers lol.

PresetError

Neophyte

What would the reaction be if this was actually true though? Bias against Sony? Xbox discord diabolical plan? Microsoft money hat?

Issue or not, I’m sure it’ll get worked through and deliver some amazing games on the PS5.

You honestly believe this is a misinformation campaign on Xbox’s behalf? Tinfoil hat anyone?

No Microsoft related. Just Xbox fanboys schemeing on Discord how to balance console war. Already exposed.

Top Bottom