• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 80k PS3s for Japanese launch?

FoxHimself said:
P = U x I

P = W
U = V
I = A

120V x 3.2A = 384W

PS3 uses 384 Watts at most.

Without a PS3 ever tested..they come up with this :lol

PS3 consumes more than double the power of 360
Playing on your PS3 for an average of 4 hours a day wcould add approx $80 to your yearly electricity bill in comparison to the 360. The PS3 consumes around 380 watts of power more than double that of the 360, which uses 160 watts and 8 times more than the PS2s 45 watts. Today Tony Blair proposed a programme of crippling taxes to fight global warming. Lets hope he doesnt get any crazy ideas for a PS3 energy tax.

Stage On

clearacell said:
What would be the point? PS3's would sell out completely no matter where they launch so I don't think it matters if they allocate more to a certain territory. This isn't like the 360 where Japan had a whole bunch of units sitting on shelves where they COULD have been sold in NA.

A paper launch is good for PR, and we know Sony uses PR spin for everything its worth.

I guess I see your point. At the very least having a paper launch is good for PR spin if nothing else.

On the other hand a paper launch could end up pissing off a lot of your core customers who really want to get their hands on a system. Imagain if they only had 80k units available for ALL of north america. I bet a LOT of people here and elsewere on the internet would be extremely pissed since their odds of landing a system would be that much slimmer.

Mark Gonzales said:
Without a PS3 ever tested..they come up with this :lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

This is ohm's law, not some random shit I took from the air.

In Europe you'll have these values: 1.7A and 230V, to get a similar W output.

FoxHimself said:

I didn't say you were wrong. I was laughing at them for comparing the max value of the PS3 to a number that isn't the max value of the 360 console :)

Kangu

Banned
Japan can't produce enough electricity to power more than 80,000 PS3s. The launch quantities are actually the permament install base for the system, assuming it sells out, which judging by the DS vs. PSP war, it won't.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
PantherLotus said:
I would be willing to wait until March.

well it's official then. True launch us in March. :(

terrene

Banned
PantherLotus said:
No doubt. What I didn't make clear was that they should have delayed it before E3. Imagine what the difference would be if the E3 disaster never happened and instead they only had to deal with a delay. All they would have had to do is justify the delay (brue ray) and the bad press might have actually gone in their favor. Also, they would've allowed a HUGE Christmas season for BR to take hold here in the states. I'm only now seeing ads for HDDDVDs and BRDVDs.

If they had a bit more foresight they might have thought of that. Then again, I'm not paid millions of dollars to control that behemoth of a company. Maybe they know something I don't.

I still don't think a 6-month lead from Nintendo would have translated to that big of a lead. Now, though..Nintendo seems like they're gaining momentum and that they'll have millions of Wii available for launch. They're going to get a huge jump on Sony, moreso than if Sony would have delayed, because now...people will be going to the store LOOKING for a PS3 (rather than staying home waiting because they know its not out until next year), and instead will buy the cheaper alternative to satiate their children (or themselves) until they can secure a PS3 for themselves.

Honestly, we're seeing two very smart companies compete for Japan. I love the idea that each of these move have tactical precision and will have future impacts for their consoles. Interesting shit.
It is - the market hasn't been this wide open since the mid-90s. Very interesting times. I agree with you about the wisdom of delaying the PS3, btw. Unless by some miracle they actually do get 1m+ units out there by the end of the year, this launch is not doing much for them. :/ However, it won't be as squandered an opportunity as the 360, which was far more reliant on the "jump start" strategy and, I think, lost a really key feature in order to launch early (HD-DVD and upscaled DVD playback).

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Speevy said:
In Japan? No, the 360 is already dead there. MS' only hope is that 360 numbers are higher than the other two here in the US, and to gain some more lead in Europe before Sony launches (though that's pretty much futile).

I think the 360 has chance in Japan. 1.5-2K units a week = 6K-8K units a month....which means....very few consoles.

Still, once BD and the month of November come around, I expect sales to be a bit higher......maybe 4K units a week? heh.

Lorul2

I wonder if the 20 thousand missing from launch was the "core" pack PS3s..:)

I guess the price drop won't hurt Sony so much after all.:lol

Hyjinx said:
I don't see a reason why they would reduce Japan's numbers before reducing the NA numbers. Dropping to like 360k from 400k for launch isn't as bad as going from 100k to 80 k (admittedly those numbers are pathetic already). So I guarantee that the NA launch numbers will also be reduced... how come GAF doesn't have a sad face to use?

Sony should have just commited to doing a traditonal launch (one territroy at a time). They tried to copy Microsoft (who botched theirs ) and screwed themselves.

Terrell

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Sony should have just commited to doing a traditonal launch (one territroy at a time). They tried to copy Microsoft (who botched theirs ) and screwed themselves.
The only reason they screwed themselves is because they didn't have the forethought to start fabricating these intricate parts for the PS3 further in advance to the launch. Had they had a shred of forethought, this all could have been avoided.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Supposedly PS3's Taiwan & HK have been announced by Sony. Some are suggesting the missing 20k units could be going to these two locations.
Launch date: 17th November

Price:

Hong Kong 60G - HKD$3,780 (US$486)
Hong Kong 20G - HKD$3,180 (US$409)

HK linky

Taiwan 60G - NTD$17,980 (US$542)
Taiwan 20G - NTD$14,980 (US$451)

TW linky
*credit to ZipIt @ e-mpire for the news.

FoxHimself said:

That indeed is ohm´s law, but it doesn´t seem to be so accurate at times. The XBox 360 PSU indicates 100-127V ~5A... so using the same formula u get this:

P = U*i - P = 127*5 = ~635W... and that´s not even close to what the 360 really consumes.

:)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bad_Boy said:
Supposedly PS3's Taiwan & HK have been announced by Sony. Some are suggesting the missing 20k units could be going to these two locations.

*credit to ZipIt @ e-mpire for the news.

Very interesting. Hmmm...

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Insane Metal said:
That indeed is ohm´s law, but it doesn´t seem to be so accurate at times. The XBox 360 PSU indicates 100-127V ~5A... so using the same formula u get this:

P = U*i - P = 127*5 = ~635W... and that´s not even close to what the 360 really consumes.

:)

Not only is it not close, but people keep using these math formulas that aren't really correct.
This is where people are misunderstanding. 3.2A x 120v != max power rating for power supply. The max will most likely be ~200 watts, regardless of what you get with the simple A x V math.

If that was the case, as 'one' pointed out, the X360 would be rated as 500+watts max... and it's not... it's ~200watts max (which it even states on the PSU).

Top Bottom