• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only Xbox One X will download the 4K assets.

flkraven

lol people digging for reasons to spin this into a bad thing. All this is saying is that people that don't have an X won't download the extra crap since they don't see the benefit. People that went out and bought an X will have the upgraded textures download automatically. Whether you have a 1080P or 4K TV, better textures are better textures.

If this is a problem for 1080P owners, why are buying an X to begin with? If you aren't getting 4K TV and don't want better textures, what the hell else are you expecting for $500?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So if I buy Forza 7 on disc for the XB1X, I still need to download 50GB from the internet to compete the game download?

Hard pass on that, no thanks.
So you're taking a 'hard pass' on a game you were interested in, on a system you were gonna spend $500 on..because it would require a one-time assets patch that might inconvenience you for a few hours or you could just download overnight if your internet is awful.

It's really hard to take this place seriously anymore..

Gamezone

Gold Member
So you're taking a 'hard pass' on a game you were interested in, on a system you were gonna spend $500 on..because it would require a one-time assets patch that might inconvenience you for a few hours or you could just download overnight if your internet is awful.

This is just one game. Trust me, there will be more.

EmiPrime

And? 4k requires more space. This isn't news.

No it doesn't. 4K is just a resolution, I have a bunch of 4K games installed on my PS4 Pro and they're smaller than many 1080p games. Halo 5 is about twice the size of Horizon Zero Dawn and 6 times the size of The Last Guardian. I assume the extra space for Forza is for higher quality textures, something 1080p TV owners can benefit from too.

GAF only worries about thiså when a PC game has Denuvo.

Plenty of us care on the console side too! I think many of us realise that preservation of Xbox One first party games is a lost battle however.

JimboJones

Why are people saying they need 4K assets for downsampling, you don't need higher resolution textures for downsampling to be beneficial.
I mean it's better to have both but there not tied together as you must have one to have the other.

Gamezone

Gold Member
No it doesn't. 4K is just a resolution, I have a bunch of 4K games installed on my PS4 Pro and they're smaller than many 1080p games. Halo 5 is about twice the size of Horizon Zero Dawn and 6 times the size of The Last Guardian. I assume the extra space for Forza is for higher quality textures, something 1080p TV owners can benefit from too.

Plenty of us care on the console side too! I think many of us realise that preservation of Xbox One first party games is a lost battle however.

Wouldn't it be natural for none updated games to at least include the 4K resolution on physical media, if it doesn't require extra space?

EmiPrime

Wouldn't it be natural for none updated games to at least include the 4K resolution on physical media, if it doesn't require extra space?

I assume that if you decline the update the game will still be in 4K but it will have the lower res textures that One S owners get.

rokkerkory

I refuse to believe that people who post these drive by hot takes actually own a next gen console or gaming PC. In the original thread for the Forza 100 GB announcement, people were posting screenshots of their collections, and a decent chunk of the games were well over 50 GBs.

Agreed with you here. If you're going to get an 1X, you likely will be in the group that has already been downloading updates for games whether on console or PC.

MilkyJoe

It's gone mental since the Scorpio tear down at Eurogamer

sportz103

On the SLOWEST internet speed available where I live (50/50) this would be a 4.5 hr download if I buy a digital copy. That's really not that bad, and I'd assume people buying 4K panels and XB1Xs probably don't buy the "minimum" internet speed package.

Also, preloading is a thing already. So I'm still getting the game at midnight, it just started downloading a few hours (or days or weeks) earlier. Doesn't seem like the apocalypse quite yet.

w0s

This doesn't really help the situation though? If you've got an Xbox One X and a non 4K TV then you're still going to be downloading 4K assets?
And I would like that for the downsampling super sampling or whatever the hell it is

EmiPrime

I refuse to believe that people who post these drive by hot takes actually own a next gen console or gaming PC. In the original thread for the Forza 100 GB announcement, people were posting screenshots of their collections, and a decent chunk of the games were well over 50 GBs.

Between my Xbox One and PS4 I have about 250 games installed and the only third party games I have that are well over 50GB are The Evil Within and Doom. Approaching or exceeding 100GB is not the norm, it's just MS first party games that do it with regularity.

The only thing that should be taken away from this thread is "O cool i dont have to worry about 4k assets downloading on my non 4k playing xbox" everything else is nonsense

Why are people saying they need 4K assets for downsampling, you don't need higher resolution textures for downsampling to be beneficial.
I mean it's better to have both but there not tied together as you must have one to have the other.

That's true, but it's unlikely that devs are going to offer separate patches for assets/resolutions bumps. So in that way, they are most likely going to be "tied together" which is what I believe most people are referring to.

Between my Xbox One and PS4 I have about 250 games installed and the only third party games I have that are well over 50GB are The Evil Within and Doom. Approaching or exceeding 100GB is not the norm, it's just MS first party games that do it with regularity.

Those games were designed for 1080p. Its rather obvious to me that higher resolution textures will mean bigger game files.

As more console games are designed with 4K in mind, game sizes will increase across the board, just as they did between last gen and this one.

Fredrik

Also don't really see what downloading assets has to do with the Nordic region, probably one of the smallest consumer videogame markets, despite high per capita internet connection.
Probably one of the regions where this won't be much of an issue too. Most people can get really fast internet and there is no data caps in sight except for mobile internet. I think I can get like 300mbps if I want to but I'm okay with 100mbps for now, 50GB takes about an hour to download which is perfectly okay imo.

Realistically, this doesn't seem likely at all. The takeaway from this article, is that going forward, games should have smaller footprints.

Forza 6 was 45GB at launch. Why would Forza 7 be 100GB without HQ assets? Especially when they are going further and letting users sort out language packs and such...

50% more cars is a big reason I imagine.

4k assets dude.
horizon nor last guardian have 4k anyway.

Trup1aya

This is just one game. Trust me, there will be more.

Yes. Every single game that aims to use 1X to its potential is going to take up a lot more space. That's the nature of high quality assets.

I can't imagine that people who are genuinely interested in what the 1X is capable of are the ones complaining about what it takes to get the asssets that actually make use of the hardware.

arhra

and other than 4k assets will forza 7 on X1X get other graphics improvements over the X1 version like better rain droplets, shadows effects etc ? i'm excited about X1X and eventually will get a 4k set (a year or two) but in the mean time will a X1X upgrade be worth it and why?

They haven't said exactly what will be different in Forza other than resolution/textures, but I'd be surprised if those are the only improvements. The only game I'm aware of that's really detailed what kind of updates it's getting is Gears 4, which is also being updated to native 4k with higher quality textures, and in addition to that:

We’ve worked on bringing a number of additional technical improvements that really bring our world to life more than ever before that are exclusive to Xbox One X. We have fully dynamic shadows now – so for example, if a tree is blowing in the wind, on the ground you’ll see that shadow of that tree dynamically move as you’d expect it to. We’ve also enhanced the detail in these shadows so they’ll look crisper and more detailed. The new Shadow improvements really add a lot to the feel of our environments.

One of the things you were probably gawping at (while you were busy dying, let’s not forget) in the Outsider Village are our real time light shafts – sometimes referred to as ‘God Rays’. You’ll now see shafts of sunlight or moonlight poking through statues, moving helicopter blades, the branches of trees and so on as they would in real life. It’s one of my personal favorite features because it’s just so visually eye catching and atmospheric.

We also have other features like improved reflections, longer draw distances and higher poly counts to further bump up the fidelity of our world.

RootCause

Here's hoping physical media pack an extra disc for 4K assets. Has Ms said anything about install times from discs? That's a part they need to fix.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

4k assets do require more space. Horizon and last guardian don't have 4k resolution assets. And if they did you'd better believe their install sizes would be much larger.

Here's hoping physical media pack an extra disc for 4K assets. Has Ms said anything about install times from discs? That's a part they need to fix.

This problem can be avoided when you first put the disc in to install say no when it says this game needs an update. For example if you have the disc for Halo 5 and want to install it to your system. If you say download update it will download the updates first and then install from disc which will then rely on your internet speed on how fast you will get to play. If you say no it will just install the base game and it will allow you to play campaign pretty quickly during installation. Yes i agree its stupid and i find it weird microsoft has yet to fix it, but its a way to avoid the issue.

Trup1aya

I'd say the only way this happens is if publishers throw an assets disk in with limited editions. Otherwise, i can't see them stomaching the cost for an extra disc that a tiny fraction of customers will use.

50% more cars --> over 100% more data? I'm not seeing it.

Well, in the context of the original question, I agree that it's probably not >100 GB for the vanilla version.

Just saying, 50% increase in car models will provide a sizeable bump, high-quality texture pack, another bump.

meirl

Banned
I hope they include a 2nd disc if possible for 4k assets.

why would they do this? what if you only Play on Xbox One S then you dont need this...

wouldnt it be better if the ISPs would offer better Internet Connection without any Caps?

Gamezone

Gold Member
100 GB for Forza 7 might just be a placeholder. Turn 10 said that the size of a potential XOX update is currently unknown.

Gamezone

Gold Member
why would they do this? what if you only Play on Xbox One S then you dont need this...

wouldnt it be better if the ISPs would offer better Internet Connection without any Caps?

To make more people satisfied with their product?

Trup1aya

4k assets are very large files, considering the cars are what makes up a majority of the content, it makes perfect sense

The original question was asking if the 1080p version of the game would be 100GB. Obviously the 4K version would make sense. But to speculate that the base version of the game would be 100GB doesn't.

Well, in the context of the original question, I agree that it's probably not >100 GB for the vanilla version.

Just saying, 50% increase in car models will provide a sizeable bump, high-quality texture pack, another bump.

Sure more cars more data, but if the 45GB that made up Fm6, a portion of that would be car data. So 50% of whatever that portion is, not accounting for any efficiencies they made in the process. There's no way the base game is anything near 100GB. I'd be surprised if the base game couldn't fit on a single disc.

8k textures look great at native 1080p anyways.

I want a detailed report on "4k assets" because it's such a dumbed down term.

I think when people say that they are basically talking about textures you see on PC games at Very High and Ultra settings, where usually the textures on console hover around PC High settings. Because there's the idea that with the Scorpio's extra RAM it's possible it can start getting some of those compared to other consoles.

Falchion

The more I read about it, the more I think the X just isn't for me right now. I don't do 4K and the downsampling just doesn't seem like enough of a reason to upgrade.

Fredrik

The more I read about it, the more I think the X just isn't for me right now. I don't do 4K and the downsampling just doesn't seem like enough of a reason to upgrade.
People here are just confusing things, I would say go with your initial gut feeling. It'll be very much like getting a new graphics card for your PC and now you can go from mid to high or ultra in visual details. In the end it's all up to the devs to put good use of the extra power and maybe add options for better visuals at 1080p or higher resolution/downsampling. Either way we could see more details, better filtering, better shadows,more stable framerates, stuff like that. Whatever the devs focus on the difference will be noticeable on 1080p TVs too without a doubt, the CPU is still a bottle neck but you don't go from 1.3 teraflops to 6 teraflops without noticing it.

Well, looks like I'm going to be saving $650 later this year.
I can handle the odd 50gb patch but having to do it with every game on my shitass internet is a deal breaker.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Those aren't even funny shitposts is the thing. If it's going to be that bad, there needs to be some humor to it or it's literally just nothingness.

Looking forward to this game on the X though I hope they hold to their promise and nail the PC port this time.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Well, looks like I'm going to be saving $650 later this year.
I can handle the odd 50gb patch but having to do it with every game on my shitass internet is a deal breaker.

I can mostly handle a 50 GB patch, but buying a physical copy, just so it can give me access to another 50 GB of 4K assets download kinda ruins the point of having a console.

Top Bottom