• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ontario Human Rights Commission calls for an end to sexualized dress codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
News Article said:
In recognition of International Women’s Day, the Ontario Human Rights Commission (OHRC) made a special announcement today about female and transgender rights in the workplace.

The OHRC updated its code of conduct to target mandatory sexualized female-only requirements, including wearing high heels, make-up or exposed skin as a part of workplace aesthetics and dress code.

OHRC’s Chief Commissioner Renu Mandhane said this is an issue they have been working on for over 20 years.

“This practice persists despite guidance by the commission,” Mandhane said. “We’re hoping to spur employers to think about their dress codes and be proactive so women don’t have to file complaints.”

The update specifically called out the restaurant, bar and massage therapy industries to beware of discriminatory demands of their female employees. Mandhane said since these industries are filled with young women working precarious jobs, sexual harassment and/or sexist policies don’t get reported as they should.

OHRC’s code of conduct states employers must be able to prove all sex-based dress code differences are legitimately necessary for the job. Where this cannot be shown, differences will be deemed discriminatory. Employers also cannot expect or coerce women to dress provocatively for clients.
http://www.citynews.ca/2016/03/08/h...ohrc-calls-for-end-to-sexualized-dress-codes/

Press Release said:
Toronto — In recognition of International Women’s Day, the Ontario Human Rights Commission (OHRC) is calling for an end to sexualized dress codes that discriminate against female and transgender employees. The OHRC makes the call in a policy position on gender-specific dress codes released today.

“Employers must make sure their dress codes don’t reinforce sexist stereotypes,” said OHRC Chief Commissioner Renu Mandhane. “They send the message that an employee’s worth is tied to how they look. That’s not right, and it could violate the Ontario Human Rights Code.”

While International Women’s Day is an opportunity to celebrate the achievements of women, unequal treatment is still a daily challenge. This treatment is often visible in bars, restaurants and other services that require women to dress in high heels, tight dresses, low-cut tops and short skirts. These dress codes persist across the restaurant industry, despite human rights decisions that have found them to be discriminatory. They may make employees more vulnerable to sexual harassment, contribute to discriminatory work environments and exclude people based on sex, gender identity or expression and creed.

“Excellent customer service doesn’t have a cup size,” said Kathy Laird, Executive Director of the Human Rights Legal Support Centre. “I hope women will call us for legal help if cleavage is deemed an essential skill in their workplace.”

The OHRC provides resources and policy guidelines on human rights and dress codes online.

Discriminatory dress codes are just one area where there is a significant risk of discrimination. The OHRC continues to work on other issues facing women and transgender people in Ontario. Go to our website for information on the OHRC’s work on sexual and gender-based harassment, violence against Indigenous women (including our call for an inquiry into Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women) and pay equity.
http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/news_centre/ohrc-calls-end-sexualized-workplace-dress-codes-discriminate

So, I posted this in the Canadian Politigaf thread earlier, though I think its large enough to warrant its own thread. Essentially, yesterday the OHRC announced that they are going to begin really cracking down on the oversexualization of workplace dress codes within businesses in Ontario; making references to restraunts in particular.

This comes in the wake of the CBC marketplace video (Restaurant dress codes: Should dressing sexy be a job requirement?) on the subject from a couple of weeks ago which found that restaurants in particular had been making some pretty discriminatory demands which in some cases has lead to health problems for awhile now.

So, what does Gaf think. Good? Bad? Let businesses be businesses?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I think its a good idea. There really isn't any good reason to have waitresses wear revealing or "sexy" clothing against their will in most restaurants.

You made a point in the other thread, and it reminds me of more than a few patients of mine who have chronic low back pain and are off work now because their dress code had them walking around in high heels for years.

darscot

I think its a good idea. There really isn't any good reason to have waitresses wear revealing clothing against their will in most restaurants.

Other than profit, it is just the reality of it and I know I'm guilty of it. I go to places with nice looking waitresses.

I think its a good idea. There really isn't any good reason to have waitresses wear revealing or "sexy" clothing against their will in most restaurants.

I'm reminded of more than a few patients of mine who have chronic low back pain and are off work now because their dress code had them walking around in high heels for 20+ years. Maybe this will at least let them get back to work now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
3.png

Ontario been on a roll the past 6 months or so, whew.

Gonna be hard to enforce especially if they require both genders to be sexualized to different degrees, I think.

Are there Hooter's restaurants in Ontario?

I think I've only seen maybe one or two my entire life, though I could be mistaking the sign or name for something else. I checked their website and it doesn't look like they have any in Ontario... but at the same time Google lists a couple in the Golden Horseshoe Region

shira

You made a point in the other thread, and it reminds me of more than a few patients of mine who have chronic low back pain and are off work now because their dress code had them walking around in high heels for years.

But they hire girls as models - sidesteps all of this.

I have a female friend that worked at Twin Peaks and she said it was worth it for the higher tips. To each his own.

What about sex workers? If somebody were to employ sex workers could they insist on their attire?

Should 'sexy waitress' be considered a type of PG-13 sort of sex worker?

I'm only being slightly facetious. At some point these types of questions will be earnestly considered.

Xilium

Obviously this wouldn't make much sense in a strip club or something similar but it seems like they address that. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with this.

That said, I don't think it would change things in any significant way. Dressing to impress is a common thing in service jobs that don't require uniforms, especially when tips are involved. I imagine most employees would choose to dress that way regardless (at least in my experience it has been that way).

Kyuur

This seems like it's aimed more at boring office stuff than trying to corner-case things like waitstaff.

The update specifically called out the restaurant, bar and massage therapy industries to beware of discriminatory demands of their female employees. Mandhane said since these industries are filled with young women working precarious jobs, sexual harassment and/or sexist policies don’t get reported as they should.

Doesn't seem like it to me.

Obviously this wouldn't make much sense in a strip club or something similar but it seems like they address that. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with this.

That said, I don't think it would change things in any significant way. Dressing to impress is a common thing in service jobs that don't require uniforms, especially when tips are involved. I imagine most employees would choose to dress that way regardless (at least in my experience it has been that way).

Going off of what I've heard, these new policies are seeming to target the many restaurants which force the sexualized dress codes. I'm sure if given the chance, many restaurant workers would choose to dress up in order to gain more tips; but this change is targeting the restaurants which basically state in their employee handbooks that women are to dress in a more "sexy manner"

In the CBC Marketplace video where they went undercover to get policies from various restaurants, they found that whereas men were told to wear whatever they wanted, women were forced into a strict "sexy" dress code with short skirts, high heels (higher the better), lots of cleavage.

How far does "coercion" extend, though? If Hooters makes available a less revealing uniform for its wait staff, would they be out of bounds to also make the more revealing uniform that is the restaurant's signature available, knowing that some will choose to dress that way in order to secure better tips? Game theory would suggest that over time, basically all waitresses would "choose" to dress sexy because they would get lower tips than their coworkers if they didn't, so could it be argued that making more revealing clothing even optional would constitute economic coercion?

It's like how here in Japan, most people have a problem with the sexualization of high school girls in anime and other media, yet they continue to impose dress codes requiring girls to wear skirts to school. What the hell is up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom