• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Openings that you Hated in Games You Loved

Evil Smurf King

Neo Member
Suikoden is the king of this for me. It is a brilliant game, one of the best RPGs ever, but the first few hours are dog shit.

In the hospital? That’s one of the best sequences in videogame history.
I can see its merits, but I couldn't stand it at all... I dunno, but I was expecting something like the wackiness and the wow factor of the past MGSs.

Psos

Neo Member
The tutorial area in The Witcher 1 (Kaer Morhen). It has been so long since I played it that I forgot all the finer details, bit I remember it being dull, boring and way, WAY too long for what it had to show/teach/tell.

It was around an hour long in total, a good chunk of it spent either fighting (in a game where fighting was in and of itself very dull and usually happened more sparingly) or walking to where the next fighting would be. They could have abridged the "action" by like 80% and left the dialogue as it was, then it would have been still a bit dull but OK.

Yeap, I agree, the same to me. W1's first location was boring unless the whole game is quite good. Of course, it is an old game and now I don't want to play it anymore, but a few years ago I enjoyed it.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
The opening of Skyrim is way too fucking long, and considering I own it on probably every console/platform its ever been on, I have seen that opening so many times.

Exactly! The worst has to be on VR. I'm literally standing like a moron for minutes doing nothing. If someone were ever to knock at my door , watching me through the window, the person would see me, standing there , wondering if I'm being brainwashed by the weird headset on my head or something..

DogofWar

"Hey you... you're finally awake"

Skyrim and Fallout 3 + 4. While not bad openings per se, RPGs that make you want to replay the game a lot of times to try out different characters should not have that long unskippable intros!

I have a save in Fallout 4 just as you are about to exit the first vault (since you can change your character there as well) but you shouldn't have to do that. And it is not possible in Skyrim.

MGS5 was a good intro, the first time as well. It feels like a slog all the other times.

Kingdom Hearts - I replayed it earlier this year but oh my fucking God that intro is long, tedious and the story was never what I liked about that game. Not even as a kid.

Most slow intros should definitely be skippable if they find a save point in the endgame on the HD.

Last edited:

intbal

I'd also add The Witcher 2's opening level. Throwing the player into a castle siege without adequately explaining the game's combat? Not cool CDProjektRed.

Came here to post that same thing.
That opening put me off of playing the game for a full year.
Glad I eventually returned to it, though. I prefer Witcher 2 to Witcher 3 by a significant margin.

petran79

Banned
So this thread should have been titled "openings that made you hate the entire game" 🤡

No I was genuinely interested in playing the game back then, but that specific sequence made me put it on hold and after that did not bother for a long time. Add also the countless sequels that had began at that time, so there was even less interest to restart.

Same though I beat the spider boss at least. But after hearing that the quiz where you had to find the dots became even harder, I would have stopped anyway

Last edited:

tassletine

Most games. But recently Red Dead 2‘s intro was too long, but not actually bad. Same with Sekiro which was still teaching you things well into the game and was vague, overly verbose and had too many prompts, all at the same time. A Poor beginning that really marred the rest of the game.

Bulletstorm‘s demo and beginning isn’t good. Same with The Surge. Same with Days Gone. Generally any simple game that doesn’t get you straight into the action is pretty annoying.

Kids pick stuff up in no time and adults should have no problem reading control sheets. All this handholding, showing you how to play stuff is a waste of time and energy, both the developers and the players.

GreyHorace

Came here to post that same thing.
That opening put me off of playing the game for a full year.
Glad I eventually returned to it, though. I prefer Witcher 2 to Witcher 3 by a significant margin.

In terms of story and atmosphere, yeah The Witcher 2 has the third game beat.

But while I think The Witcher 3 has better gameplay, I actually enjoy the second game's combat more. At least there was a lot more emphasis on preparation before combat than in the third game.

Tschumi

This is tough... Got it! Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. The Forbidden Fortress was a hella annoying gateway to the rest of the game.

The opening dungeon in Baldur's Gate 2.

Hmm maybe this? I went back and played through the game years later enjoyed it. But on my 1st attempt I had almost lost interest after escaping the 1st dungeon. Then I went to click off the map and I heard the classic "you must gather your party before venturing forth" in the narrator voice from BG1. Well that narrator is gone is BG2, I was trying to get used to the new narrator and then I saw that they hadn't even rerecorded all the lines using the new voiceover guy and was like..."uninstalling now bye"

I didn't hated the intro of horizon per se, but child aloy was straight nightmare fuel

lol hideous. Such extreme technical detail allows you to see true ugliness like never before.

MeteorVII

I totally understand why people hate the intro to Kingdom Hearts 2, but I’ve always loved it. It completely throws you through a loop and Twilight Town in general was awesome!

It gives off the same wonderful Disney charm of the first game in the very first 20 minutes.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Metal Gear V: The Phantom Pain... It drags for about an hour or two. I've been thinking about trying it again, but this opening, damn...
I agree with this. The concept of the opening is cool, but playing it is a total drag. Especially when you can't move properly and you are stumbling around.

Pejo

3D Zeldas: The thread. Hand me a sword and point me at a dungeon. Nobody needs a 6+ hour tutorial.

AJUMP23

I’m playing AC Valhalla right now and I could have done without the whole section prior to getting to England. I did not care for the opening I just wanted to get to England.

crumbs

The first portion of Binary Domain is underwhelming and rather generic, but the game picks up quickly as more characters are introduced.

Bethesda's Gamebryo games in general

Oblivion farting around in the sewers waiting for the moment you can finally "go there".
Skyrim farting around waiting for a cutscene to end, followed by farting around in some caves waiting for the moment you can finally "go there".
Fallout 3 farting around in Vault 101 waiting for the moment you can finally "go there".
Fallout 4 farting around in your house tripping scripted events then farting around in Vault 111 waiting for the moment when you can finally "go there".

It's not a big surprise one of the first mods made for these games is always a mod to skip the intro sections and just straight into the actual game.

Last edited:

RPSleon

I felt like god of war was meh, the start went on for quite a while before it showed what the game was actually like. But it got so good when the world opened up.

crozier

1) Dragon Quest VII. Waaaaay too much talking at the beginning.
2) Final Fantasy 13
3) Virtually any RTS where you start with only a few workers.
4) WoW. I am so sick of newbie starting zones.

Batiman

Banned
Halo 3 has a pretty unexciting beginning. The rest of the game is a masterpiece tho. Reach starts off pretty crap too. Was so excited for the first covenant encounter and they just show up like any other moment.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Ps1 Final Fantasy 7 until you leave Midgar. Climbing the wall out the slums, climbing Shinra hq, going into multiple reactors, linear, boring. Once you hit the free roam map the game turns into a 10/10.

There were a lot of cutscenes, but they were all amazing

It was Solid's finale. It could be 20h of cutscenes only, I wouldnt mind.

My pick is one of my favorites of all time (hence my avatar): Chrono Cross

That start at the village was soo slow.

But that's JRPGs in a nutshell, basically

Lmao, sorry for the super late reply, but the thread got necro'd and I just notice this reply.

But, to answer, I never said I didnt love every single cut scene in MGS4.

What I was saying, that in hindsight, and upon replay attempts, or even rewatching playthroughs, that it was reaaaaaalllyy amazing I never once bothered at how much control is taken away from you in the opening 2 hours.

You walk for 10 secs, and then you get a 5 minute cut scene, and then repeat.

As a young kid who was eager to play the sequel to my then favourite franchiss, o never noticed it.

But boy do I do notice it now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I totally understand why people hate the intro to Kingdom Hearts 2, but I’ve always loved it. It completely throws you through a loop and Twilight Town in general was awesome!

It gives off the same wonderful Disney charm of the first game in the very first 20 minutes.
when first time playing it, I agree but it’s kind of pain in the ass when you want to re-play it.

Nier Automata with their whole "lol we won't let you save for the first hour because sToRy ReAsOnS." The rest? Brilliant.
This. Very nearly dropped it because of the opening. In the end I put it on the easiest setting and enabled all of the assists so the game pretty much plays itself just to get it over and done with. The rest of the game is awesome though.

Top Bottom