• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| Once more unto the breach, dear friends

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
ev7bNcf.png

uJX8Io5.png

Title: Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy
Platform: PlayStation VITA / PS VITA TV / STEAM (Windows 10 / 8.1 / 7)
Genre: Dungeon Crawler RPG
Players: 1
Release Date:
May 16, 2017 (US)
May 19, 2017 (EU)
Price:
PS VITA Standard - 39.99 USD
PS VITA Limited Edition - 59.99 USD
STEAM Standard - 39.99 USD / SALE PRICE till 23rd May 29.99 USD
STEAM Limited Edition - 49.97 USD / SALE PRICE till 23rd May 34.63 USD
STEAM Abyss / Babel Bundle - 79.94 USD / SALE PRICE till 23rd May 58.16 USD
*EU folks check pricing for your own region.
ESRB: M - Mature 17+
Official Homepage Link

PzZxUXr.jpg

PS Vita LE Contents
  • Physical PS Vita Game
  • Deluxe Softcover Art Book
  • 16-Track OST w/ Jewel Case
  • Tear-resistant Poster
  • Clear File Folder (8 5/8" x 12 3/16")
  • Collector's Box

IYYgxMV.png

• Continuation of the story from Operation Abyss with some of the previous characters returning.
  • New Sub Blood system, which basically is a sub job system allowing for you to have a main and sub blood equipped for your characters. Though it has its merits / demerits.
  • New character portraits
  • Extend Skill & Extend Spell system, certain pieces of equipment when equipped will allow the character to use the attached skill(s) / spell(s) allowing for a much more customized character.
  • Return of the risk system, higher the risk stronger the enemies, but higher chance of better item drops also.
  • Union Skills, an all party skill consisting of various effects which are broken up into 3 categories [BRAVE] / [MAGIC] / [ACADEMY] use these to help get through tough situations while exploring the various dungeons.

3dZMakJ.png

1dTb2uO.png
6rmaikq.png
j8Lm8IT.png

pCn5os9.png
Jbq8dAR.png
fLc5gD2.png
E9ruscP.png

QrtyHJ0.png

*Some character / class names might be different from the localized version. Dont have access to my old files to redo the graphics.

Vnj0V7c.png

*Check the Official Homepage Character Creation section for more detailed information.

BtvFjWb.png

CBlQFwP.png

#1:
Q: What type of game is this?
A: Its a first person dungeon crawler with turn based combat. Instead of having set narrative characters for your party, you create all of your characters from scratch.

#2:
Q: Im new to dungeon crawlers should I buy this game?
A: The game itself should not be so daunting that those new to the DRPG genre would not be able to play, as it foregoes a lot of the more hardcore mechanics. Not to say that the game will not have some portions that may be difficult, but overall it should be an enjoyable experience for those who like DRPGs or want to check out the genre. Gameplay mechnaics are generally fairly straightforward also which helps. Although one feature that might confuse folks at first is the whole upgrading / creating / breaking down components with items system that you will be using quite often in this game for your equipment and other things.

#3:
Q: Does this game have any connection to other series?
A: Yes its connected to the XTH series, which also includes Cross Blood. As mentioned in Question #1, the game is a remake of the Generation Xth trilogy which includes Code Hazard / Code Break / Code Realize. The first 2 titles Code Hazard and Code Break make up Operation Abyss and Code Realize is Operation Babel. Labyrinth Cross Blood is the continuation of the world / series which takes place after the events of the original trilogy.

In terms of narrative this game continues the story from events that took place in Operation Abyss. Though your character you portray in this game is different from the one in Abyss. Basically you are starting off as a new member of the team sorta deal plotwise.

#4:
Q: Is this game a large improvement over Abyss?
A: Would not exactly say "large" improvement, but a lot of the various issues that were able to be improved upon were. So it feels more like a proper remake rather than a straight up port of the PC version with just redone graphics. Though the basic game mechanics still exist in this title also. So for those who disliked the customization system with breaking down and rebuilding items might be a little disappointed as its still present in this title. Personally though would say that they did improve Babel over Abyss though, so fans of Abyss should be happy with Babel.

#5:
Q: Can you please explain what the general stats are for with the characters?
A:
  • STR - Effects physical damage rating for the main hand. Generally higher the STR the higher potential damage output is.
  • WIS - Wisdom helps raise the damage rating for spells and effectiveness. Most important stat for the Wiz / Aca. This also effects the Academists ability to identify items and Brain Spike's success rating.
  • SPI - Spiritual helps boost the effectiveness of healing and support spells. Most important for the Phys, Wiz, Aca. Also effects the Academic's success raiting with Brain Spike.
  • PHY - Physical directly effects the amount of HP gained when leveling up. One of the most important stats for all classes. Also effects resistance to 1 hit kill type of attacks.
  • SPD - Speed effects Evade & Miss Chance, turn in combat and also increases the damage rating for off hand weapons for classes that can dual wield weapons. This status is important for the Samurai, Monk and Assassin. But benefits any class that you wish to increase their turn in combat.
  • LUK - Luck effects various things but the main purpose of it would be raising resistance against bad status effects and dealing bad status effects which include 1 hit kill type of moves done by the Samurai for example. It also effects crit rate and is important for specific WIZ, HEAL, PSI codes. Luck also effects the damage output of non-elemental magic such as the Wizards Atomic Work? code.
XP40Ps8.png

*This was data from Abyss, am hoping its the same in Babel. The stats anyways should be the same, but the chart not 100% sure if it is or not.

#5:
Q: Are there any Western reviews for the game?
A: On metacritic Op Babel is sitting around 64
Video Chums - 77
Wccftech - 75
The Games Machine - 75
Digitally Downloaded - 60
God is a Geek - 65
Gameblog.fr - 60
Twinfinite - 60
Push Square - 40

v3B6Xlz.png

Q: In the "FEATURES" section you mentioned that there are pros and cons with the Sub Blood system, what exactly are those?
A:
Pros:
  • Able to use Main and Sub Blood skills / magic
  • HP / MP is increased by the maximum combined value of the Main and Sub Blood.
  • Character gains the resistance bonus from both the Main and Sub Blood.

Cons: The EXP earned is divided in half for each equipped Blood, therefore character level progression is slower.

#1:
Q: Do you really have to reroll so many times to get the highest possible number for stats point allocation?
A: Not really but it does make things easier. If you really are hardcore do what I do sometimes when I do a second playthrough and roll only once per character.

#2:
Q: Reused monster graphics
A: This really isnt all that uncommon for Experience Inc. nor is it a unique situation for them, Starfish and ZeroDiv are 2 other well known devs within the genre who do the same. Am certain it is done to help cut production costs as they are a small studio and not a massive dev house with huge financial backing from a publisher. Generally all the fans of the company are used to this and dont seem to mind that much as long as the actual game content itself is enjoyable.

#3:
Q: Reused graphics, sound effects, tile set for dungeon.
A: Mostly same answer as above, though this game is looking like it has made some new content for it. Will have to see once I fully get through the game.

#4:
Q: Character art for characters in game vs. character art for character portraits look different?
A: There are 2 different artists working on character design. Kurosawa Tetsu クロサワテツ and Oxijiyen 沖史慈 宴(おきしじえん)

#5:
Q: What is that numbered Gauge in the upper left corner of the screen which seems to fill up more and more as you fight?
A: It shows the added strength of monsters in the dungeon, the more you fight the more the gauge fills up. The higher it is the more levels will be potentially added to the monsters in the dungeon. Very simple pros and cons of this below.

Pros: More Exp / Money / Better item drops.
Cons: Chance to get totally roflstomped also rises.

The level of this meter is also saved when you exit the dungeon which will bring us to the next question.

#6:
Q: How do you decrease the level of the gauge if leaving the dungeon does not reset it?
A: Successfully running from battles will drop the gauges level by 1. Also the less desirable solution is if your party wipes the gauge is totally reset back to 0.

#7:
Q: Is MP in this game still numerical values per spell level rather than an overall MP pool?
A: Yes, reason behind that as with Abyss is that they still wanted to keep the original game system that they had used for the fans.

wQoclNO.png

Thanks goes out to Experience Inc. and NIS America for the resources used to make up the graphics. Also to Dafont.com and TracerTong for use of the Coalition font.

I still need to finish Operation Abyss, but I'm looking forward to this game. There can't be enough Dungeon Crawler on my Vita.

Parakeetman

Thanks folks.

Hope you enjoy Op Babel. I did like it more than Abyss thats for sure since they at least seemed to have taken a bit more time with it. Granted its still using a lot of the original mechanics from the PC game, though still for a budget title makes a nice addition for the drpg library. Alongside with the fact that Western fans will have closure for the Generation Xth "trilogy" with Abyss / Babel.

I still have no idea how to use the summoner correctly after all this time either lol.

Saphirax

Some nitpicks aside, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with OA, so hearing that Babel is even better makes me even more excited.

Parakeetman

Some nitpicks aside, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with OA, so hearing that Babel is even better makes me even more excited.

Its not like super massive changes, but if anything it feels like a proper Vita version rather than a reskinned PC version if that makes sense.

Know folks in Japan were kinda unhappy about that also with Abyss thats why.

I think the thing I appreciated the most was that the LE had an actual OST with it instead of just a massive box / book that took up unnecessary space lol

Saphirax

Its not like super massive changes, but if anything it feels like a proper Vita version rather than a reskinned PC version if that makes sense.

Know folks in Japan were kinda unhappy about that also with Abyss thats why.

I think the thing I appreciated the most was that the LE had an actual OST with it instead of just a massive box / book that took up unnecessary space lol

Sounds good enough for me! I'm also glad that there's apparently no trophy for defeating X amount of enemies/battles this time. That was such a drag.

Parakeetman

Sounds good enough for me! I'm also glad that there's apparently no trophy for defeating X amount of enemies/battles this time. That was such a drag.

Yeah that kinda sucked. Went and dragged along 2 Samurai to constantly do row attacks over and over again in an area that spawned a lot of enemies at once lol.

At least the plus side with that is due to the customization / break down system with items, its not so bad if you are stuck having to kill a lot of things due to the drops can be turned into resources. Unlike the other titles where most of the time drops are just garbage to sell. D:

Hubb

I enjoyed OA enough to beat it, and while I am looking forward to OB I'll probably pick it up on a sale. I still need to beat Stranger of Sword City Revisited and Ray Gigant so I have my hands full with DRPGs.

Do they offer a decent amount of new selectable character avatars?

Mozendo

Anyone know how big the artbook is? Tried contacing NISA if it's near the size of Abyss' but no response. My package is due later today but I'm considering asking for a refund if it's less than 75.

Parakeetman

I enjoyed OA enough to beat it, and while I am looking forward to OB I'll probably pick it up on a sale. I still need to beat Stranger of Sword City Revisited and Ray Gigant so I have my hands full with DRPGs.

Do they offer a decent amount of new selectable character avatars?

Im not exactly sure whats included in the US ver. Since the JP ver had a few more extra DLC ones. Though if its the official art stuff and not the colab (Chaos Child / Dengeki) for example Im guessing it should have everything present that Japan did.

Cant remember if the swimsuit squad from Abyss was also included in Babel.

Will have to wait and see till another user chimes in on that.

Anyone know how big the artbook is? Tried contacing NISA if it's near the size of Abyss' but no response. My package is due later today but I'm considering asking for a refund if it's less than 75.

Saw that on steam the "digital artbook" is 112 pages.

So my guess would be the physical LE is using the same data just printed as a physical copy. If anything you might as well keep trying to bug them on Twitter or whatever else their customer support email is. Kinda weird they didnt put the info on how many pages the artbook is for the physical LE.

Tohsaka

Nice job on the OT, I might start the game later today since I've been playing Akiba's Beat and it's kinda boring. Is there any solid party recommendation from the Japanese version? I don't really remember what I used in Operation Abyss and I'll definitely make use of the Sub Blood system in this one.

Parakeetman

Nice job on the OT, I might start the game later today since I've been playing Akiba's Beat and it's kinda boring. Is there any solid party recommendation from the Japanese version? I don't really remember what I used in Operation Abyss and I'll definitely make use of the Sub Blood system in this one.

Thanks!

If you want the most orthodox party

Front
Samurai, Knight, Fighter

Rear
Academic, Physician, Wizard

---

Samurai for crowd control or Carnage (single target multiple hit)

Knight to absorb damage when possible

Fighter for general hardiness and taking on single targets

Academic for all the support spells and identifying junk found from enemy drops

Physician for healing

Wizard for taking care of physical resistant enemies and group attack magic

The other classes you can kinda experiment with as you go along.

Assassins and Monks can be pretty strong with certain build types too. But if you want to get your footing with the game again from the start going with an orthodox party from the start will make things less stressful and give you a balanced party to collect loot with that will help when you experiment with the other classes later.

Archers can give pretty solid damage support also, though you would need to find a decent bow first.

SephLuis

OA was my first DRPG and the reason I started liking the genre. So, of course, I suffered a whole lot learning the ropes on that game.

I am still in the middle of OB and I like it just as much as OA so far. I'm not dying as much because it isn't my first DRPG this time.

Read this as " Operation Babe"

.__.

If it were Operation Babe, you can bet it would sell 10x more on the Vita.

Parakeetman

Both Vita! DRPGs, like VNs, just really suit handhelds.

Ya being able to put stuff on suspend is pretty huge.

Utawarerumono will be another example of that, though honestly I still played the console ver a bit more just because I liked how nice the graphics looked in battles. Though still was around 60 / 40 for Console vs Handheld.

cj_iwakura

Are there any carry over bonuses if I've played the first game on Vita or the fan translation of the PC version? (/s on the second one)

Dorarnae

will probably get it next week but need to finish the other game first.

operation babel is nice, the post game is good compared to operation abyss.

Saphirax

Damn local elections delayed all mail so I've only received my copy today.

Anyway, I settled on the following:

Samurai/Assassin
Knight/Academic
Warrior/Monk
Wizard/Conjurer
Archer/Warrior
Physician/Wizard

Still unsure about giving my archer a warrior sub blood code though.

Parakeetman

Damn local elections delayed all mail so I've only received my copy today.

Anyway, I settled on the following:

Samurai/Assassin
Knight/Academic
Warrior/Monk
Wizard/Conjurer
Archer/Warrior
Physician/Wizard

Still unsure about giving my archer a warrior sub blood code though.

Thats what I did as couldnt think of much anything else that would match.

hawk2025

I just started the game, and I seem to do 1 damage to every enemy and die?

I've equipped the items and weapons that were in the inventory, what... what am I missing here?

Keep in mind that I've finished Stranger, so this isn't a complete DRPG beginner here!

Parakeetman

I just started the game, and I seem to do 1 damage to every enemy and die?

I've equipped the items and weapons that were in the inventory, what... what am I missing here?

Keep in mind that I've finished Stranger, so this isn't a complete DRPG beginner here!

Usually if you are doing 1 dmg to enemies even with weapons equipped means the enemy has resistance to physical damage or you need the weapon to have a + enemy type effect to it. Similar to spirit and undead types in sosc, just that in this game they are named differently.

Strange though thats happening from the start as I dont recall them making the beginning difficult

Though at the same dont remember if you start off the game asan Xth member. Since if you still are a normal human due to the opening story stuff then yeah you are stuck doing very low dmg until you become an Xth member.

Where exactly are you at the start of the
game?

Saphirax

Successfully finished the main story.

Got slaughtered by two bunnies not a minute into the post-game dungeon.

Nice.

Top Bottom