• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation London Bridge - The plans for the death of Queen Elizabeth II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
The principal of a monarchy seems pretty silly and irrelevant in modern society but in terms of actually doing something about it and becoming a republic? I honestly don't see the point right now.

It's super low priority, behind such things as electoral reform and reforming the House of Lords. And there is basically no real demand for it.

If there was a demand for it I could probably get behind such a movement but like the majority of Brits (70%+ I think), currently I'm fine with the status quo.
Pretty much. Their existence or otherwise has insignificant relevance in modern governance. Their abolition should be so astoundingly low on a list of priorities that any loud movement is frankly insulting to actual issues and reform that matter – like improving the lives of minorities and women, whom would still be at a disadvantage and considered unequal if Liz and Co were kicked out.

moggio

Banned
I don't think you understand how much income the monarchy provides for the UK. Tourism due to the royal family is massive, and eliminating the royals would be a major financial error for the country. They bring in vastly more than they cost, and have no influence over government or policy to speak of. There's really no downside to them.

Yeah, I mean no-one visits the Palace of Versailles or anything do they?

I think you give the allure of the Windsors too much credit. Bin them and hire some am-dram troupe to play dress up. Much cheaper.

Morat

Banned

I think you give the allure of the Windsors too much credit. Bin them and hire some am-dram troupe to play dress up. Much cheaper.

Yup. Also turn crown estates into council housing. We can start with Buckingham Palace. It's a bloody booring building anyway, so nothing lost.

danthefan

It must be super weird for the Queen to read about a country planning for her death

I'm sure there are a lot of things in the life of a monarch that are super weird from the perspective of us regular people.

As for how relevant etc they are, I'm fairly sure I've read they indirectly pay for themselves via tourism etc and there's no desire with the British public to get rid of them, so they're going to remain, and no harm to it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

I can pretty much guarantee you that the two things that first pop in the minds of people when they think about England (those who don't live there) are the Big Ben / Westminster and the Queen / Buckingham palace. Maybe by living there and experiencing a million other things in your life that have nothing to do with either, you don't have a clear perspective of just how persuasive this imagery is - but I think England has been cultivating it very carefully and successfully, that it would be foolish to abandon it.

PJV3

For my own sanity I'm going to assume this post is satire

I can sort of see the point as the monarchy was used by others to cement Protestant control. Not so much white supremacy as a non white monarch was never on the cards anyway.

Uzzy

Holy shit :-O

What if London Bridge falls down, and that's what kills the Queen?

Reading this article left me rather depressed, especially with everything that's going on constitutionally in the UK right now. Is there even going to be a UK in five years time?

Koodo

Banned
For my own sanity I'm going to assume this post is satire
It's not. The institution of the monarchy is the source of white supremacy and most other systemic horrors that have plagued societies in the last couple of centuries.

However, they currently represent white supremacy on paper more than on practical terms – much like every other facet of the monarchy has also been reduced to a ceremonial role in lieu of any actual relevance to governance. White supremacy and systemic oppression is currently perpetuated by, well, everyday normal white people who benefit from privilege at the expense of non-white people, which makes the abolition of monarchy as a matter of "equality" all the more laughable and disconnected from reality.

L Thammy

Those are supremacists as well, just not white but equally repugnant. You are not going to see me defend those

I'm honestly wondering exactly what your problems are with the Emperor of Japan. I mean, Hirihito aside, hasn't it been primarily a ceremonial / religious role for hundreds of years?
Not a historian here, genuinely have no idea what most of them did.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I can pretty much guarantee you that the two things that first pop in the minds of people when they think about England (those who don't live there) are the Big Ben / Westminster and the Queen / Buckingham palace. Maybe by living there and experiencing a million other things in your life that have nothing to do with either, you don't have a clear perspective of just how persuasive this imagery is - but I think England has been cultivating it very carefully and successfully, that it would be foolish to abandon it.

Yup. This is a pretty good explanation of why they're financially beneficial to keep around.

I mean you could get rid of them, but it's basically throwing away free money and asking for higher taxes in the process.

I'm honestly wondering exactly what your problems are with the Emperor of Japan. I mean, Hirihito aside, hasn't it been primarily a ceremonial / religious role for hundreds of years?
Not a historian here, genuinely have no idea what most of them did.

If it is ceremonial, why doesn't he make a ceremony to crown the elected Prime Minister? Because of supremacy.

Don't worry, the crown has spent over a millennium defending itself, you don't need to.

Of course. They defend themselves with your tax dollars and the riches they exploited abroad for centuries.

L Thammy

If it is ceremonial, why doesn't he make a ceremony to crown the elected Prime Minister? Because of supremacy.

The elected prime minister would probably still be Japanese, though...? What does that solve in the supremacy front?
And the de facto ruler of Japan for the past thousand years have mostly been warlords who crowned themselves by force, or were the descendants of rulers who crowned themselves?

I like the Queen.

She's alright, she is.

Prince William comes across as a throughly decent guy too.

Yes, they are the epitome of privilege but privilege is not always inherently bad depending on what you do with it.

I'm glad there's a plan. It's the only way to prevent total worldwide chaos.

I know it actually will be a big deal both emotionally (for many) and logistically

kharma45

Versailles is far and away more impressive than anything we have here, even Windsor. Being in a much nicer, sunnier climate doesn't do it any harm either. Versailles is hundreds of times more impressive on its own than either Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle. It was a palace built as a symbol of grandeur and majesty, ramming home Louis XIV's prestige, power and apparent wealth.

Moreover Versailles isn't just a symbol of the grandeur but also a reminder of the violent revolution which arguably marked the beginning of the 'modern' period. Buckingham Palace isn't nearly as old and definitely doesn't have the same history.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Because of white supremacy

What?!
rAuHdxL.gif

That is not why monarchies exist, in Europe or elsewhere I might add. If you believe there shouldn't be monarchies anymore that's one thing, but don't just spread nonsense for no reason. It's embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom