• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation London Bridge - The plans for the death of Queen Elizabeth II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Obviously it would cause the world to stop for a moment, but after that, the largest potential geopolitical consequence I can see: Australia might have another Republican referendum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_republic_referendum,_1999

The Gillard Labor government which took power in a hung parliament following the August 2010 election indicated an intention not to revisit the issue of a vote for an Australian republic during the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.[18] The Liberal-National Coalition government in power following the September 2013 federal election was led by Tony Abbott, a supporter of the constitutional monarchy. During Abbott's term as Prime Minister, Labor Opposition Leader Bill Shorten stated he believed it was time to "breathe new life into the dream of an Australian republic."[19]

On 15 September 2015, Malcolm Turnbull, a republican who was Chairman of the Australian Republican Movement from 1993 until 2000, succeeded Tony Abbott to become the Prime Minister of Australia. The change in leadership marked for the present time that the Prime Minister, Opposition Leader and each of the 8 state and territory Premiers and Chief Ministers were all declared republicans. Malcolm Turnbull has previously stated that he believes Australia should become a republic after the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.[20]

jstripes

Banned
I agree nothing against Charles but I think William and Kate should be the next K&Q.

Same. He's a nice person, but I'd rather Canada drop the monarchy than have Charles appear on our currency. I like the Queen, she helped shape our country, but after she's gone, let's move on.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Same. He's a nice person, but I'd rather Canada drop the monarchy than have Charles appear on our currency. I like the Queen, she helped shape our country, but after she's gone, let's move on.

Although a referendum is a rare sight in Canada, that should be put to one, the public will want a say. Changing the head of state is a huge move, and I think an unnecessary one, at least how it seems today.

jstripes

Banned
Although a referendum is a rare sight in Canada, that should be put to one, the public will want a say. Changing the head of state is a huge move, and I think an unnecessary one, at least how it seems today.

You're right, it should go to a referendum, but our system doesn't have to change by doing so. Just officially move the role of ceremonial head of state to the Governor General. Then decide whether the GG is appointed by parliament or elected. All we'd be doing is unplugging the monarchy. You can even keep the term "the crown" in a figurative, Canadian way.

Mimosa97

Please don't tell me Charles really intends to become King ? That's the worst thing that could ever happen to the monarchy. If they want to have a chance to stay relevant he needs to abdicate and make his son King. Kate and William are their only chance.

Plasma

Banned
Ok, do I get a day off work?

"Most of the country will be waking to a day off."

G9pV8Cr.png

jstripes

Banned
Please don't tell me Charles really intends to become King ? That's the worst thing that could ever happen to the monarchy. If they want to have a chance to stay relevant he needs to abdicate and make his son King. Kate and William are their only chance.

He's been waiting his whole life for it. He's not going to step aside.

Wes

venison crêpe
Read this at work today too. Fascinating reading. The Long Read by the Guardian is normally a great and interesting piece of writing but this one in particular got a lot of people reading it.

Taffer

Plastic banknotes are harder to deface, no spocking King Charles. No hitlerising either or even the classic jazztwat beard & glasses. Probably not even a meat and two veg. :(

ParityBit

That was a wonderful read. Thanks for linking!

Being from the U.S, this is mostly new to me. I remember when Princess Diana passed, we (my family/friends) were saddened greatly, but following all we could on ceremonies.

I don't understand people getting so butthurt about the existence of monarchies. I'm American and I love em. They're such a wonderful piece of cultural history that can do a lot of good and really not much harm if they're like Britain's. Hell, didn't the previous King of Spain play a big role in the dismantling of the dictatorship?

Being Portuguese, I was saddened to learn that ours had been assassinated in the early 1900s. I think some of the House still lives but they don't have a formal position or something.

I don't understand people getting so butthurt about the existence of monarchies. I'm American and I love em. They're such a wonderful piece of cultural history that can do a lot of good and really not much harm if they're like Britain's. Hell, didn't the previous King of Spain play a big role in the dismantling of the dictatorship?

Being Portuguese, I was saddened to learn that ours had been assassinated in the early 1900s. I think some of the House still lives but they don't have a formal position or something.
the worst part of is that they repalced the real Portuguese colors on the flag (Blue & White) with the the partisan colors of the Republican Party (Green & Red)

To me, Blue & White will always be the true colors of Portugal. Not that Green & Red political crap

---------

King Juan Carlos of Spain (was restored prior to Franco's death) was key at avoiding Spain falling into another Civil War after Franco's death.

You're right, it should go to a referendum, but our system doesn't have to change by doing so. Just officially move the role of ceremonial head of state to the Governor General. Then decide whether the GG is appointed by parliament or elected. All we'd be doing is unplugging the monarchy. You can even keep the term "the crown" in a figurative, Canadian way.

That would be the easiest way to deal with it. And if people have a problem with there being no "King/Queen" we could just rename the role of Governor General to "King/Queen" and continue to have them be appointed/elected every x years

It must be super weird for the Queen to read about a country planning for her death

I would imagine that she would be at the head of these discussions. I mean if you had unlimited money and global acclaim why wouldn't you help plan out the aftermath of your death.

Sanojio

I would be ok with monarchy, if it meant every citizen had a chance to be king or queen.

But being given a kingdom based on bloodline is pure bullshit. Either pay for that stuff yourself or turn it over to the public.
And republics, every single person has the chance to be President? lol

half of the republics in the world are hereditary. Crowned Republics. Republics are more palatable than monarchies to the layman. Far easier to become dictatorships. Far less accountability. That is all.

akira28

not what I was expecting from the thread title.

was thinking something a bit more proactive and surprise attacky.

but this was a relief.

It must be super weird for the Queen to read about a country planning for her death

I just assume the entire country is hiding today's newspapers from her.

kmag

No real plan for leaving the biggest economic market on earth

A fully detailed plan for a 91 year old womans death. Down to the where the black armbands are in the consulate in dontgiveafuckastan.

Priorities people.

kmag

How is the Queen seen in Commonwealth states anyway? Still liked? Ever liked?

Aren't most of the rest of them just waiting for her to pop the clogs to wipe their hands of the whole royal shebang? (excluding of course the 2/3rd of them who've already done so)

Once she dies there is no automatic next head of the Commonwealth.

No real plan for leaving the biggest economic market on earth

A fully detailed plan for a 91 year old womans death. Down to the where the black armbands are in the consulate in dontgiveafuckastan.

Priorities people.

You could argue that there's something more predictable about an old woman dying than the UK leaving a political union.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Irrelevant anachronism.

Liz popping her clogs is a good opportunity to wind the whole nonsense up. It's been going on far too long.

I don't think you understand how much income the monarchy provides for the UK. Tourism due to the royal family is massive, and eliminating the royals would be a major financial error for the country. They bring in vastly more than they cost, and have no influence over government or policy to speak of. There's really no downside to them.

Orbis

The principal of a monarchy seems pretty silly and irrelevant in modern society but in terms of actually doing something about it and becoming a republic? I honestly don't see the point right now.

It's super low priority, behind such things as electoral reform and reforming the House of Lords. And there is basically no real demand for it.

If there was a demand for it I could probably get behind such a movement but like the majority of Brits (70%+ I think), currently I'm fine with the status quo.

Morat

Banned
I don't think you understand how much income the monarchy provides for the UK. Tourism due to the royal family is massive, and eliminating the royals would be a major financial error for the country. They bring in vastly more than they cost, and have no influence over government or policy to speak of. There's really no downside to them.

The amount of tourism due to them is vastly overstated. Furthermore, they do have influence over policy as has been demonstrated by Charles's leaked letters to ministers, although those were admittedly largely over minor issues. They also own a fantastic amount of these islands,both in land and property quite apart from what they get on the civil list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom