• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend - dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Holy wow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21455453

South African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius is being questioned over the fatal shooting of his girlfriend at his home in Pretoria, local media say.

Police captain Sarah Mcira told local media that a woman - who died at the scene - was shot in the head and arm.

The precise circumstances surrounding the incident are unclear. Reports say he may have mistaken her for a burglar.

The 26-year-old was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics.

South Africa has among the highest rates of crime in the world and many residents keep weapons to protect themselves against intruders.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A valentines surprise gone wrong some are saying - I.e. she came to his house to surprise him.

How awful.

dc89

Wow. I wonder if he had been drinking or something?!

Surely something had to be not right with him for this to happen

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Against his gf? It doesn't really work like that.

I think the idea of heightened vulnerability will play a part in his defence though - that on top of everything else, his disability heightened his anxiety around personal security. Just to set the context for why he may have been trigger happy when he felt threatened.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
What better way to say "I love you." than with the gift of a bullet between the eyes?
Protip: If you're some Don-Knotts-in-The-Ghost-and-Mr.-Chicken motherfucker, then don't own a gun. Scratch that... Just don't own guns.

lenovox1

I meant the quotation marks made me expect some pun. My immediate thought was 'I wonder what he really means by shoots girlfriend'...... 'Oh.'

The BBC can't say that he shot his girlfriend before he's convicted. I guess it opens them up to lawsuits like it could in the US. But if they quote it out of the police report, it's alright.

Socreges

Banned
What better way to say "I love you." than with the gift of a bullet between the eyes?
Fucking guns...
Guns are less fetishized in South Africa and they actually do serve a purpose in self defense. Crime rates are very high.

dc89

I understand Oscar will appear in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court later today. BB

Silverwoods Estate management has barred the media access.

731551898.jpg

https://twitter.com/barrybateman - news reporter in South Africa.

I guess Silverwoods Estate is where his house is, and it has security?!

Cookie18

This is so sad. Especially if it was meant to be a Valentines Day surprise. I feel really sorry for him, what a horrible thing to have to live with.

dc89

is this a joke about him being 'legless' ??? :mad:

No not at all, I'm not like that.

We don't know the details, it's unfair to speculate in too much detail. But I'm just wondering, like many other people, how this has happened. Obviously with the guys disability, living in South Africa where it's been posted here that theres violent crime etc he feels the need to have a gun for protection.

It's not out the equation that he could have been drinking or something, and I'm not saying he was blind drunk, but even one or two beers can affect the senses, we just don't know yet.

Either way, it's tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom