• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Winners 2023 List

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Wow Brendan Fraser and Michelle Yeoh taking home the beast acting nods. What a year it was for film.

Toons

Banned
I'll pass on watching Everything whatever it's called.

I finally watched Shang Chi on the weekend and thought it was pure dogshit. The only good thing was the evil dad was pretty good. Best actor in the whole movie. I'm not a bg superhero movie fan, and I think Avenger movies are cheese, but I have to admit the Marvel Avenger movies I've seen are way better.

I also saw Crazy Rich Asians years back and that's one of the worst movies I've seen in recent times. The only good thing is one of the actresses was hot (not the main one, but that bitchy one who bossed around her BF/hubby).

I also wanted to see how good that live action Mulan movie was to the old cartoon. Bad too. Although I'd say it's better than Shang Chi and Crazy Rich.

Three hyped up movies with Asian casts, and all three were junk unless you enjoy stereotypical kung fu mayhem in two of the movies. Not going to bother with Michelle Yeoh leading Everything Everywhere. Her acting was 100% robotic in Shang Chi.

EEAAO has nothing to do with any of those movies other than that they feature asian people. You're literally just associating them because they feature asians. You have to realize that's ridiculous right?

The writers and directors are wholly different. It would be like me watching Ant Man 3 and 65 and Shazam and not liking them, so that means Oblivion starring tom cruise must be terrible.

Toons

Banned
I definitely thought the list this year was very meh - no obvious choices like No Country for Old Men, There will be Blood (2008 was just spectacular, this movie would've won any other year), or even a Parasite. That's why I thought this should be a Titanic like year - give it to Top Gun or Avatar which were remarkable achievements in their own right, brought people back to movies, "saved the industry", etc. Both of these movies represented what everyone loves about movies and they were so grand, especially Avatar. And both those movies I found far more enjoyable than Everything Everywhere - I didn't think Everything Everywhere did anything particularly better than these two movies story, cinematography, editing wise. I really thought, with the literal definition of "Best Picture", Avatar should've won it but maybe they'll just give all the awards to Avatar 7, LOTR style.

I am definitely glad Everything Everywhere won it over oscar bait "artsy" garbage like Banshees though.

I enjoyed Top Gun and avatar, but neither of those even deserved a nomination for best picture, and they certainly didn't save the industry.

Top Guns entire plot can be worked out after watching the first 20 minutes, save for the zany 80s feel good ending, and even more so for Avatar, its sfx and music make up for an exceedingly predictable plot.

Avatar is a Disney release and Disney is thrashing every other studio in the box office anyway so it wouldn't have made a different how that did. But No Way Home did 2 billion a full 6 months before top gun even came out.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I definitely thought the list this year was very meh - no obvious choices like No Country for Old Men, There will be Blood (2008 was just spectacular, this movie would've won any other year), or even a Parasite. That's why I thought this should be a Titanic like year - give it to Top Gun or Avatar which were remarkable achievements in their own right, brought people back to movies, "saved the industry", etc. Both of these movies represented what everyone loves about movies and they were so grand, especially Avatar. And both those movies I found far more enjoyable than Everything Everywhere - I didn't think Everything Everywhere did anything particularly better than these two movies story, cinematography, editing wise. I really thought, with the literal definition of "Best Picture", Avatar should've won it but maybe they'll just give all the awards to Avatar 7, LOTR style.

I am definitely glad Everything Everywhere won it over oscar bait "artsy" garbage like Banshees though.
Both of those were remarkable achievements, but I'm not sure if they "saved the industry" so to speak. The difference between Everything and Top Gun and Avatar was that Top Gun and Avatar are movies that most of us have seen before, but wrapped up in a different package. I'm making assumptions about Avatar 2, though. I haven't seen it, but if it's anything like Avatar 1, the characters are somewhat one dimensional and the plot is full of cliches.

Is that enough to make the difference between Best Picture and not? Perhaps, but that's not up to me to decide.

reksveks

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I think whilst top gun and avatar 2 might be world class/leading this year in terms of technical achievement, not sure I would call them ambitious personally. Narratively they are just very paint by numbers. Still enjoyable though.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Though in saying that, like others I'm also scratching my head as to why Jamie Lee Curtis won an award as well.

I am guessing it's because she sort if disappeared into the role. Don;t get me wrong, I would not have nominated her, but I can see why she got the nod for some critics.

Batiman

Banned
I'll pass on watching Everything whatever it's called.

I finally watched Shang Chi on the weekend and thought it was pure dogshit. The only good thing was the evil dad was pretty good. Best actor in the whole movie. I'm not a bg superhero movie fan, and I think Avenger movies are cheese, but I have to admit the Marvel Avenger movies I've seen are way better.

I also saw Crazy Rich Asians years back and that's one of the worst movies I've seen in recent times. The only good thing is one of the actresses was hot (not the main one, but that bitchy one who bossed around her BF/hubby).

I also wanted to see how good that live action Mulan movie was to the old cartoon. Bad too. Although I'd say it's better than Shang Chi and Crazy Rich.

Three hyped up movies with Asian casts, and all three were junk unless you enjoy stereotypical kung fu mayhem in two of the movies. Not going to bother with Michelle Yeoh leading Everything Everywhere. Her acting was 100% robotic in Shang Chi.
You’re gonna lump movies together because Asian casting? Really?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Were you expecting a sci-fi movie though? It's a comedy with a family drama flavour, the sci-fi stuff is only really there as a vehicle and it's mostly nonsense.
Kind of depends on what someone expects.

Going by the trailers I remember seeing on TV, I thought this movie was a big sci-fi movie with Michelle Yeoh time warping to different dimensions saving the world.

There's no way those trailers made it seem like a family romcom with a bit of sci fi thrown in.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Kind of depends on what someone expects.

Going by the trailers I remember seeing on TV, I thought this movie was a big sci-fi movie with Michelle Yeoh time warping to different dimensions saving the world.

There's no way those trailers made it seem like a family romcom with a bit of sci fi thrown in.

I just watched a trailer again and it's very clearly earmarked as a comedy which ends with her crying and hugging her family. If people expected Moon or Predestination or Primer I don't really know what to tell them. I guess it helps that I'd already seen Swiss Army Man so I knew that Daniels weren't cooking up something straightforward.

StreetSense

Neo Member
To each his own I guess, but Everything Everywhere was one of the stupidest movies I've seen in years. It boggles the mind how it even got nominated for Best Picture, much less won.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
To each his own I guess, but Everything Everywhere was one of the stupidest movies I've seen in years. It boggles the mind how it even got nominated for Best Picture, much less won.

What were your problems with the movie, precisely? Because a lot of people enjoyed it.

MaestroMike

didn't know the oscars already happened and I haven't read this thread I'm assuming avatar 2 won best picture and james cameron won best director !! bravo Maestro Cameron ! another one in the books finally

Bragr

Banned
I enjoyed Top Gun and avatar, but neither of those even deserved a nomination for best picture, and they certainly didn't save the industry.

Top Guns entire plot can be worked out after watching the first 20 minutes, save for the zany 80s feel good ending, and even more so for Avatar, its sfx and music make up for an exceedingly predictable plot.

Avatar is a Disney release and Disney is thrashing every other studio in the box office anyway so it wouldn't have made a different how that did. But No Way Home did 2 billion a full 6 months before top gun even came out.
Isn't the argument that Top Gun made so much money and showed it's still possible to be popular without being a superhero shill-movie like No Way Home?

Batiman

Banned
Isn't the argument that Top Gun made so much money and showed it's still possible to be popular without being a superhero shill-movie like No Way Home?
Even if that’s true. Does that alone merit an Oscar? I thought it was pretty great though.

Field

Was hoping Fraser would show up in the fat suit during the awards.

I guess Everything was original but I found it kinda boring. Humour was so silly. Hot dog hands, talking rocks.

DKehoe

Gold Member
I thought it was more about Top Gun Maverick getting people back out to theatres

Airbus Jr

Banned

Jake Sully Pandora GIF by Avatar
Friends Discover GIF by Avatar
James Cameron Ocean GIF by Avatar
Fun Swimming GIF by Avatar
Happy James Cameron GIF by Avatar
James Cameron Thank You GIF by Avatar

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I will look forward to a white or black cast movie sweeping the board at the HK film awards or The Golden Rooster Awards.

Or let's see an American movie win best movie at the Bollywood awards.

Are you suggesting that Asian Americans aren't American? You realize the life depicted in that movie is one shared by many? A24 is an American production studio.

Dude, come on.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't understand what you mean, did Everything Everywhere win the Bollywood awards?
The person I quoted seemed to think EEAAO is a Chinese made film or a foreign film. I, and others, tried to get him to see he was wrong.

At the BAFTAS, plenty of American films are nominated for awards... I don't know about India's Oscar equivalent.

Reallink

What were your problems with the movie, precisely? Because a lot of people enjoyed it.

Not who you're quoting, but Everything Everywhere was the first movie in over 20 years I've actually turned off/walked out of, and I average 2 movies a week, so we're talking a sample size of a couple thousand. The last movie I did that with was Nic Cage's Bringing Out the Dead in 2000, which I've long held as the worst theatrical release movie ever made. Everything Everywhere stands toe to toe with it for effectively the same reason. Bringing Out The Dead was literally 2 hours of meandering, directionless scenes amounting to nothing, with less entertainment value than watching paint dry. Everything was 2 and half hours of inane nonsense. Pointless directionless scenes under a guise of multiverse that ran it's shtick into the ground within the first hour, ultimately amounting to nothing but a big budget TikTok stream of stupidity.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Not who you're quoting, but Everything Everywhere was the first movie in over 20 years I've actually turned off/walked out of, and I average 2 movies a week, so we're talking a sample size of a couple thousand. The last movie I did that with was Nic Cage's Bringing Out the Dead in 2000, which I've long held as the worst theatrical release movie ever made. Everything Everywhere stands toe to toe with it for effectively the same reason. Bringing Out The Dead was literally 2 hours of meandering, directionless scenes amounting to nothing, with less entertainment value than watching paint dry. Everything was 2 and half hours of inane nonsense. Pointless directionless scenes under a guise of multiverse that ran it's shtick into the ground within the first hour, ultimately amounting to nothing but a big budget TikTok stream of stupidity.

It was funny they marketed it as a "mature, thinking man's alternative to superhero movies", while it was just as stupid, childish and uninteresting.

I actually thought the scene with the two rocks was the only worthwhile part of the whole movie.

Bragr

Banned
The person I quoted seemed to think EEAAO is a Chinese made film or a foreign film. I, and others, tried to get him to see he was wrong.

At the BAFTAS, plenty of American films are nominated for awards... I don't know about India's Oscar equivalent.
You need to explain this to me like I am a child because I can't see it. Something is lost in translation here, and I need to know what it is. This is what he said:

"I will look forward to a white or black cast movie sweeping the board at the HK film awards or The Golden Rooster Awards."

"Or let's see an American movie win best movie at the Bollywood awards."

I take that as him saying that Hollywood is very open to other nations' movies compared to other international awards. Why do you think he is saying that EEAAO is not American?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You need to explain this to me like I am a child because I can't see it. Something is lost in translation here, and I need to know what it is. This is what he said:

"I will look forward to a white or black cast movie sweeping the board at the HK film awards or The Golden Rooster Awards."

"Or let's see an American movie win best movie at the Bollywood awards."

I take that as him saying that Hollywood is very open to other nations' movies compared to other international awards. Why do you think he is saying that EEAAO is not American?

Because we were talking about EEAAO, which is an American film starring, directed by, produced by, written by Americans... It's an American production. Maybe sees a largely Asian cast and assumes it's a foreign film as the US doesn't make many (like 2 others) films with largely Asian casts.

The British Oscar equivalent, the BAFTAS, nominates plenty of American films ... I don't know about the Indian Oscar equivalent as I couldn't find anything in my cursory item search.

Bragr

Banned
Because we were talking about EEAAO, which is an American film starring, directed by, produced by, written by Americans... It's an American production. Maybe sees a largely Asian cast and assumes it's a foreign film as the US doesn't make many (like 2 others) films with largely Asian casts.

The British Oscar equivalent, the BAFTAS, nominates plenty of American films ... I don't know about the Indian Oscar equivalent as I couldn't find anything in my cursory item search.
But he doesn't say that EEAAO is not American?

He replied to someone that said the movie is a landmark achievement for Asians.

And he replied with a message that basically says: "No other award shows put emphasis on race like this, and it's naive for us to do it." Something like that. I don't see how he claims EEAAO is not American.

Nikunashi, can you clear this up, cause it's driving me nuts.

Top Bottom