• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Other Publishers Told Us to Make It a Male Lead Character," Life is Strange Dev Says

v1oz

Well remember me bombed... so... let's hope history doesn't repeat itself?

Yes Remember Me was flawed and bombed at retail. Yet these guys at Dontnod talk as if they know what gamers want!

The gender of the lead character is the very least of our worries. No one was ever put off from buying Tomb Raider or Metroid because the lead characters were female. We just want a good well made game, with great story and mechanics.

Yes Remember Me was flawed and bombed at retail. Yet these guys at Dontnod talk as if they know what gamers want!

The gender of the lead character is the very least of our worries. No one was ever put off from buying Tomb Raider or Metroid because the lead characters were female. We just want a good well made game, with great story and mechanics.

Whether Remember Me bombed or was bad isn't relevant to the discussion since it has nothing to do with "make it a male lead character."

The gender of a lead character might be the least of YOUR worries, I could argue that it is a major thing for ~50%+ of the audience that play video games. Finally, the reason why Metroid and Tom Raider became famous was:

In the Case of Metroid: Nobody knew the gender of the character until the end and once they knew the gender they had already gotten hooked with the gameplay and it did help that depending on how fast you beat the game you could see a "sexy" samus.

In the case of Tomb Raider: She was created as very sexy character, with massive jugs. It is only after she became an icon that they began to tone down on the sexualization. And she existed long enough to build an audience before the internet age.

I think thanks to the raise of the internet it seems that the gaming environment on the internet has become more hateful towards non straight white males.

tl;dr
You are wrong and don't seem to understand anything AT ALL.

Mandoric

Banned
You nailed skyrim, great post.

& given the fact that it has outsold all the other entries combined, that strategy looks pretty damn successful.

Which is why it's relevant to this discussion. Simple, relatable power fantasies push sales to the current market. A significant subset of players will avoid or disprefer any layer of abstraction, and also assume based on their own taste for content tailored exactly to them that any content focused around someone that quite obviously isn't them is also tailored away from them and toward that other.

Personally, having worked in the film industry, I think a lot of these people running things, are very stuck on the old formulas that worked in the past. They are obsessed with it. And they aren't interested in data showing anything else. Because they don't even want to attempt to move away from something that has worked in the past. I can't say that's 100% true for all major publishers. And maybe I'm wrong. Maybe their research/data is correct, and female leads are a risk.

I think this plays a big role in it. Gaming, especially right now with how expensive games are, is a follow the leader industry. You'll see every generation there will be certian types of games that are popular which will cause many publishers to just try to imitate that. During the PSone days the most popular games were JRPG's, platformers, and survival horror. And as a result you saw a ton of those games during that period. Pretty much every company had some cute platformer on their roster because they were selling like hotcakes.

Then in the next generation we saw open world games become big. Then every company wanted to have some sort of open world game on their roster. And in the last gen it was of course TPS/FPS. And everyone wanted to have those. But it's not just the genre, it's also the characters. Publishers tend to stick to the blueprint as a whole. "That company made a super successful shooter with a white male lead, so we're going to do the same."

So it's not surprising that companies that tend to break that mold are ones that don't really follow those paths. Companies like Sony and Nintendo are platform holders, so it's more important for them to stand out than to simply blend in. Which is why you'll see them being more likely to fund games that don't necessarily fit into those molds. The same applies to Japanese devs as a whole on some level as they don't really make many FPS/TPS. Companies like Capcom and NAMCO have noted that 30-40% of the userbases for games like Basara and Tales are female. And they've noted that those gamers tend to be the most hardcore as they make up the overwhelming majority of those that attend the fan festivals for the games.

Still, I think it's important to ask: how are they getting this data. What does the data say. And how are they coming to their conclusion. I think those are important things to wonder. That one Dev that spoke out and said that, the publisher was using slanted research to reinforce the narrative they wanted to hear, has been my experience in Film. It's basically what I said where, these people DO NOT WANT to move off the old formula.

It's quite possible that it is slanted. They hire groups to do this for them. And if the group isn't even trying to hear from female gamers, then it's not surprising that publishers could get the wrong impression. While it's note exactly the same thing, Naughty Dog noted that research group that they were using to playtest The Last of Us had no plans at all to bring in female gamers. They had to specifically tell them to bring them into the process. So when you hear something like that, it's not hard to believe that another group may not even really pay much attention to female gamers when doing research on whose buying games.

But are female lead games that rare in gaming, especially mature story based games? Maybe it's because those games stick in my head but I can think off the top of my head: TR, Alien Isolation, Bayonetta 2, Two Souls as recent AAA games. But OFC publishers can always do better like with Assassin's Creed, but even in that instance another game included their own female assassin as a "hey buy our game instead" showing that market forces are doing their work.

Imo it seems that pubs/devs prefer male PC's in certain games that are aimed at a teen demographic ie overly masculine games (shooters) or characters that are designed for teens to relate to which the OP's game seems like. Even if male teens love their butch spacemarines devs can always be creative when it fits. More Ripley / Private Vasquez female characters and with more dexterous types of FPS which are in trend atm work great with female character models as Titanfall shows

mollipen

Yes they have—I've seen people say exactly that, at least about Tomb Raider, or Bayonetta, or other examples. There is absolutely a segment of the player base out there that will not play games that have female characters, or black character, or other minority characters.

Steel

Banned
Which is why it's relevant to this discussion. Simple, relatable power fantasies push sales to the current market. A significant subset of players will avoid or disprefer any layer of abstraction, and also assume based on their own taste for content tailored exactly to them that any content focused around someone that quite obviously isn't them is also tailored away from them and toward that other.

While there are a lot of things I can complain about with Skyrim, I don't see how it's relevant to the discussion at all. If we're talking gender? Skyrim allows you to pick. If we're talking cover art? Skyrim didn't even show a person on the cover of either gender. It's generic as hell and a power fantasy, but it's not related to gender issues in any way shape or form.

Mandoric

Banned
While there are a lot of things I can complain about with Skyrim, I don't see how it's relevant to the discussion at all. If we're talking gender? Skyrim allows you to pick. If we're talking cover art? Skyrim didn't even show a person on the cover of either gender. It's generic as hell and a power fantasy, but it's not related to gender issues in any way shape or form.

Dev: "Publishers are super-conservative about this one thing"
Nirolak: "Well of course they are, it's not a part of the particular power fantasy that establishment critics love and core gamers overwhelmingly prefer"
HK-47: "Do Oblivion/Skyrim quite fit the mold?"
Several people, including me: "I think these quantifiable changes from Morrowind and before apply"

Power fantasies are never truly generic, because different people want different things. By this point, it's somewhat accepted in multiplayer game design to envision a separate power fantasy for dozens of characters. In the eternal region vs. region debate, there's plenty of literature way above my level drawing clear distinctions between the generic western and eastern hero.
If there's a "generic" power fantasy for an entire medium, it's almost definitely keyed really tightly in on a certain demographic, which lends support to the notion that publishers who've been successful pushing it are going to be très uncomfortable moving away from that demo.

Top Bottom