• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our desire is to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation - Phil Spencer

Lognor

Banned
I already referenced those quotes from Stuart in my previous post and you know it. In no way, are those quotes emphatically saying that Microsoft intends to keep a specific franchise such as Call of Duty on PlayStation. That's exactly what Phil Spencer did. That's exactly what Stuart did not do.
No, it's the same. Stuart says they have no plans to pull content. Spencer says they desire to keep (aka not pull content) COD on PS. It's the same. No, they will not pull MW1, MW2, MW3, BO1, BO2, BO3, etc from PS. They likely will not pull Warzone. But they will also not release COD 2024, COD 2025, COD 2026, etc on Playstation UNLESS Playstation allows Game Pass. We've been here before...

NickFire

Yeah I don't think Xbox would want to demote their Xbox network account down to that level. Sony would be fine with that sure.

I bet MS would want to keep PSN out of it entirely. Like xCloud on iOS avoids Apple's account system entirely. Sony would want it to be like EA Play on PS is.
Your entire premise was debunked years ago. If you want to play Minecraft on a PS but with non PS players, you need to have a MS account.

NickFire

N NickFire already basically answered this. It might be a bit inelegant in a way, but it's no different than having a login password for your computer and then a master password login for your web browser, or logins for separate websites.

They could work out a way of syncing a user's Xbox account to their PSN account so they just auto login to the Xbox account when they use the service. More than doable.
Way more than doable. Already being done. I had to make one of the kids an Xbox account so they could play Minecraft, on their PS4, with non-PS4 friends.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
He didn't say that. Did you even bother to read the tweet?

"I confirmed our intent to honor all existing agreements upon acquisition of Activision Blizzard and our desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation."
Are you suggesting MS wants to semi-go multiplatform?
Next you'll be saying they've created a separate division outside of the Xbox brand to handle that stuff 🙄
Let me guess, Phil will be in charge 😂

Topher

Gold Member
Next you'll be saying they've created a separate division outside of the Xbox brand to handle that stuff 🙄

Technically, MS is already semi-multiplatform. Is there such a division? Perhaps my sarcasm detector is off a bit.

• LOL
Reactions: TGO
Way more than doable. Already being done. I had to make one of the kids an Xbox account so they could play Minecraft, on their PS4, with non-PS4 friends.
Welp, there it is. Case closed.

An Xbox Live (Network) account or a Microsoft account?

Microsoft accounts are for Outlook, Office 365 and the such. You still need an Xbox account for the gaming-side stuff.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Then we disagree and there isn't anything left to say.
It looks that way. But while I was not on this forum at the time of the Bethesda acquisition I've looked and there were countless people saying that the AAA Bethesda games (Starfield, Elder Scrolls, etc.) would stay multi platform because of their huge sales potential. And that has not turned out to be the case. So here we have another acquisition with huge AAA games and some folks are making the same argument. Most of us know how this turns out.

We can certainly play the wait and see case, but it will lead to disappointment for a ton of people. Let's just say it's a good thing that you already own an Xbox Series console.

MonarchJT

Banned
According to MS, AB and Spencer it's the same story of Minecraft and Zenimax. In the SEC filing include the example of Minecraft, where the new games they released after acquisition of the IPs they already had on PS before acquisition (Minecraft Story Mode, Minecraft Dungeons, Quake Remastered and something else I forget, plus updates and dlcs) get also released on PS.
I think that Ms and Sony already discussed this and there no way and i mean NO WAY that ms didn't have a deal if they gonna release their owned game on the rival platform period. Next COD is basically the same as God of war. and no one is expecting them to release it on rival platform ...and before you start ....no the fact that the old Cod came out on PlayStation too doesn't matter at all

Technically, it might just be called a MS account. But I'm not about to split hairs along the lines of MS would never merge an account with a Sony account.
Yeah I just took a look it does say Microsoft account, not Xbox account specifically. But you also don't need an Xbox Live account for GamePass; you can just use a Microsoft account for that (which makes sense considering people wouldn't need XBL for PC or mobile).

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Welp, there it is. Case closed.

Microsoft accounts are for Outlook, Office 365 and the such. You still need an Xbox account for the gaming-side stuff.

Technically, it might just be called a MS account. But I'm not about to split hairs along the lines of MS would never merge an account with a Sony account.

Microsoft. Same is true for Nitnendo Switch.

Yeah I just took a look it does say Microsoft account, not Xbox account specifically. But you also don't need an Xbox Live account for GamePass; you can just use a Microsoft account for that (which makes sense considering people wouldn't need XBL for PC or mobile).

lol

7mLJQz3.jpg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It looks that way. But while I was not on this forum at the time of the Bethesda acquisition I've looked and there were countless people saying that the AAA Bethesda games (Starfield, Elder Scrolls, etc.) would stay multi platform because of their huge sales potential. And that has not turned out to be the case. So here we have another acquisition with huge AAA games and some folks are making the same argument. Most of us know how this turns out.

We can certainly play the wait and see case, but it will lead to disappointment for a ton of people. Let's just say it's a good thing that you already own an Xbox Series console.

I agree, there is going to be disappointment.........one way or another.

I think COD stays on Playstation. Why can't we just take the man at his word and stop freaking out. There may be some extra perks for Xbox or PC (including Gamepass day 1 on Xbox and PC) but you don't spend 70 billion and then cut off the majority of your player base from the biggest shooter franchise ever made.

Relax Sony folks...you're fine.
I'm just curious. Couldn't this argument be made about ANY game released on Xbox? If it's just about money why wouldn't MS put all their games on PlayStation and be done with it? Isn't part of the reason PlayStation is successful is because of the games you can play on the system? If those games are not on the system any longer why would you buy the PlayStation? If games like Skyrim, Doom, Call of Duty and Diablo aren't on PlayStation but are on Xbox why would you avoid the Xbox?

In addition has MS ever indicated they are hurting for cash? Why would you spend 70 billion dollars to bolster a platform you don't own? I can totally see Call of Duty going exclusively to the Xbox ecosystem. If you want to play the games badly enough there will be plenty of places to play it even if you refuse to buy an Xbox console. It's all part of business.

I'm confused. I thought Sony guys don't give a fuck about Activision or Call of Duty. They don't care about that "casual" shit. So why is this thread so long?

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah.....wasn't following until N NickFire clear it up. But that is actually a good point. Xbox console is now a part of a subdivision of a Microsoft subsidiary. Not sure the significance of that has fully registered with a lot of people.

I'm confused. I thought Sony guys don't give a fuck about Activision or Call of Duty. They don't care about that "casual" shit. So why is this thread so long?

You don't have to give a shit about a game as big as Call of Duty to recognize how important it is the grand scheme of things. Same thing could be said of Fortnite, FIFA, and others.

Lognor

Banned
I agree, there is going to be disappointment.........one way or another.
LOL, only Xbox console warriors would be disappointed if COD remained on PS. The rest of the Xbox owners will be fine with that and will still get to play COD for free on Game Pass.

It'll be the Sony fans that are the ones sorely disappointed, whether they are console warriors or not. Now those disappointed PS owners need to buy an Xbox. That's $300 - $500 of disappointment!

Lognor

Banned
Nah. Sony guys care A LOT about Call of Duty. A metric shit ton they care.

When the top three best selling PS games in 2021 looks like this you know how much they care:

1Call of Duty: VanguardActivision Blizzard (Corp)
2Madden NFL 22Electronic Arts
3Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold WarActivision Blizzard (Corp)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
From Phil's mouth to DJ K's ears:

"We have no plans to bring it to any other kind of closed platforms right now, mainly because those closed platforms don't want something like Game Pass."

"when we say we want everybody to be able to play on Xbox, we really mean if we can bring that full experience to a device that players want, we are totally open to those discussions."

The most insane thing about this is that Phil is openly saying that he wont bring games to other platforms, he's only interested in services. Like I dont understand how this man can compile and accumulate so much talent, and still is mostly concerned about the method of fucking delivery. He can be Mozart but he wants to be the postman.

I will never understand Microsoft's obsession with services instead of products. Your product is what you should be proud of. Your product is the art. Your service is just a service like catering or waitering or butlering. If Sony and Nintendo call his bluff and he keeps Starfield, Elder Scrolls, CoD, Fallout, Doom all on Xbox then he wouldve cut down that game's audience by half. Maybe more if the people dont migrate. And for what? All to get gamepass on Playstation? Who gives a shit. lmao. I am so confused.

It's art man. That's the full experience. Gamepass is not an experience. It's just delivery. It's digornos.

Last edited:
I don't give a fuck about them. Doesn't change the fact that it's an important franchise

Stupid bait comment
I keep hearing that Sony's exclusives are so amazing that they don't need Activision. They will just develop a CoD killer with all that Sony exclusive money and Activision will lose 70% of their user base because it won't be on Playstation. So how important can it really be?

Topher

Gold Member
I keep hearing that Sony's exclusives are so amazing that they don't need Activision. They will just develop a CoD killer with all that Sony exclusive money and Activision will lose 70% of their user base because it won't be on Playstation. So how important can it really be?

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

LOL, only Xbox console warriors would be disappointed if COD remained on PS. The rest of the Xbox owners will be fine with that and will still get to play COD for free on Game Pass.

It'll be the Sony fans that are the ones sorely disappointed, whether they are console warriors or not. Now those disappointed PS owners need to buy an Xbox. That's $300 - $500 of disappointment!

You sound giddy at the prospect.

Last edited:

MikeM

I have both and am still disappointed. Dualsense is awesome for shooters.

Topher

Gold Member
The services industry of Microsoft is what sent their stock value from $35 to $300 in nine years. Not saying it's "great", but it's their new business model that has proven valuable.

That's true. I remember when Microsoft made a ton of money selling Windows and Office. Now that seems like pocket change in comparison to services like Office 365 and the enormity of offerings Azure brings to the table.

That's true. I remember when Microsoft made a ton of money selling Windows and Office. Now that seems like pocket change in comparison to services like Office 365 and the enormity of offerings Azure brings to the table.

Yeah, subs really are lucrative. Same with the likes of Adobe. Invested in them when they were still selling photoshop and the like as just standalone licenses. Never made so much money before

Last edited:

NickFire

The most insane thing about this is that Phil is openly saying that he wont bring games to other platforms, he's only interested in services. Like I dont understand how this man can compile and accumulate so much talent, and still is mostly concerned about the method of fucking delivery. He can be Mozart but he wants to be the postman.

I will never understand Microsoft's obsession with services instead of products. Your product is what you should be proud of. Your product is the art. Your service is just a service like catering or waitering or butlering. If Sony and Nintendo call his bluff and he keeps Starfield, Elder Scrolls, CoD, Fallout, Doom all on Xbox then he wouldve cut down that game's audience by half. Maybe more if the people dont migrate. And for what? All to get gamepass on Playstation? Who gives a shit. lmao. I am so confused.

It's art man. That's the full experience. Gamepass is not an experience. It's just delivery. It's digornos.
I hate the shift from products to service and always have. But it is not a Phil thing. That's a MS thing (office).

I'm still holding out hope for a buy option when they inevitably announce GP on PS though. Fingers crossed.

Nah. Sony guys care A LOT about Call of Duty. A metric shit ton they care.

When the top three best selling PS games in 2021 looks like this you know how much they care:

1Call of Duty: VanguardActivision Blizzard (Corp)
2Madden NFL 22Electronic Arts
3Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold WarActivision Blizzard (Corp)
Whoa, weird. I thought Activision was on the decline and losing sales. Weird that they still beat Sony exclusives, which are just selling like hotcakes and making Sony so much money. I don't know what to believe anymore. But it doesn't matter, because once CoD goes exclusive it will lose 70% of its userbase and Killzone will be number one.

PlayStation making a FPS exclusive for PS5 would make PlayStation gamers stay with PlayStation.

As a result of being exclusive and PlayStation having a high quality AAA FPS exclusive, COD revenue and popularity would drop.

No matter how much you laugh and deny, that is the reality.

Syphon filter
SOCOM
Resistance
Killzone
Haze
Mag

Yep any day now their Halo killer is coming (20 years later still fat zeros)

Lognor

Banned
Whoa, weird. I thought Activision was on the decline and losing sales. Weird that they still beat Sony exclusives, which are just selling like hotcakes and making Sony so much money. I don't know what to believe anymore. But it doesn't matter, because once CoD goes exclusive it will lose 70% of its userbase and Killzone will be number one.
Nah, you're way off. Killzone is trash. Resistance is where the fps crowd will go on Playstation. That is the new king of first person shooters! Get ready. I hope Sony is opening their wallet to get a new Resistance game greenlit.

MikeM

Even for competitive shooters? I've read a lot of people turn off the adaptive triggers when playing competitively.
Yep. I use them in COD CW all the time. I actually prefer it because I keep my finger pushed down the trigger right before the final click for the shot. Very nice on snipers. 1.4 KD for the record. But I can see how some would hate it.

you can't use them competitively, only in story modes. they will get fucking annoying in the heat of the moment.
Depends on the user. I like having them on. 🤷‍♂️

yurinka

I think that Ms and Sony already discussed this and there no way and i mean NO WAY that ms didn't have a deal if they gonna release their owned game on the rival platform period. Next COD is basically the same as God of war. and no one is expecting them to release it on rival platform ...and before you start ....no the fact that the old Cod came out on PlayStation too doesn't matter at all
Activision, MS and Spencer said they will keep the ABK IPs on the platforms where they already are. Spencer specifically mentioned CoD, and they did use the Minecraft (which got all its post acquisition games released on PS) as example in the SEC filing (legal document for their investors, regulators, analysts, they won't lie them).

Plus on top of that, they had pending marketing/exclusivity deals with Sony, I assume most of them for CoD games, that they publicly commited to honor as they also said and did in the previous MS acquisitions.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Yeah, subs really are lucrative. Same with the likes of Adobe. Invested in them when they were still selling photoshop and the like as just standalone licenses. Never made so much money before
It's a bit sketchy though, because for the exact same price I could buy lifetime license of MS Office in the past I now get only 1 year of Office 365. It can be used on more than 1 device but still, the cheapest option now has to be renewed every year so no wonder they earn a lot more.

Topher

Gold Member
It's a bit sketchy though, because for the exact same price I could buy lifetime license of MS Office in the past I now get only 1 year of Office 365. It can be used on more than 1 device but still, the cheapest option now has to be renewed every year so no wonder they earn a lot more.

It is more than just Office though. You get a terabyte of One Drive storage as well. That's pretty significant since it gives me access to all my files no matter what device I use. I pay $100 a year and my entire family gets to use it and have access to all the Office software. Pretty good deal, imo.

Office 365 is waaaaay better than any of the other versions though. And you get regular updates, plus you can join the Insider channels for early access. Plus 1TB of OneDrive storage.

yurinka

Syphon filter
SOCOM
Resistance
Killzone
Haze
Mag

Yep any day now their Halo killer is coming (20 years later still fat zeros)
Even if not exclusive, I think Sony made a ton of money with Destiny (with former Halo devs), CoD, Battlefield, Apex Legend, Overwatch, Fortnite and so on.

So I think Sony isn't missing FPS games, or missing big exclusives now they had like half a dozen exclusives hitting (or in track to) the 15M or even 20M units mark. Even if I'd bet the exclusive that the former Bungie and CoD BO creators is a GaaP MP focused FPS, but more to diversify their portfolio than a -specifically as they unsuccesfully tried before- Halo killer.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
What would gamepass look like on playstation? Every single Microsoft I.P releasing day and date? Elder scrolls? Doom? Halo? State of Decay etc? Then there would be no need for Xbox hardware because you could just buy a Playstation and have your cake and eat it. Also, Sony would see that as well and would agree to having it for sure as it would pave the way to total dominance in the console hardware space. Or would it just be streaming? Even just streaming could quite easily cause their console sales to fall of a cliff.

Am I missing something here because gamepass on Playstation and Xbox consoles doesn't seem to fit imo. I don't think that that is Microsofts end game.

Top Bottom