• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our favourite journalist fan decides to finally apologise

Oemenia

Banned
filip-miucin.png

So for those of you who are not aware here is a tl;dr.

Filip Miucin was a writer at IGN who had previously been a YouTuber. His review of Dead Cells however plagiarised from Boomstickgaming and IGN immediately terminated their conduct with him . Rather than owning up, he put out a monetised non-apology with the whole quivery voice, huffing and puffing and as a cherry on top, a dramatic exit.

Clearly looking to dig himself into a greater hole, he challenged the internet to "keep looking" for past plagiarism and believe it or not, the internet found more examples then he clearly anticipated. Then a few months later he's back on YouTube pretending nothing ever happened and telling us how amazing the Switch is.

Until now that is.

**Huff**Apology**Sigh**

Update: Did I mention that he is a Switch fanboy?

Update 2: Before he blamed cancer, now he blames others! Now please, can you act like nothing ever happened and watch his video about how amazing the Switch is.

Update 3: DreamcastGuy, a friend of Filip's, say's that he filmed the apology two months ago. I got to say, he had a good back-up plan to acting like nothing ever happened and continue to make videos for Nintendo cult.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nice apology, but when there are tens of millions of content creators out there, why waste your time on a plagiarizing hack?

Either he's dishonest in his apology and you shouldn't trust him, or he's too untalented to generate compelling content on his own without stealing it, in which case you shouldn't trust him.

Moneal

Actual props for him doing it. definitely should have been done a lot sooner. not gonna keep up with him going forward have options i believe are better. but i will still give him props for actually apologizing.

TacosNSalsa

If he had just did this from the get-go he would've saved himself a lot of grief I'm sure..I'm always weary of apologies that take constant badgering and pressure to be made . It seems like a " I have zero outs right now so might as well"

dolabla

It's definitely a little late on his part. He should have owned up to it right away especially since the evidence was overwhelming against him.

But, I am all for forgiving people if you own up to it. Maybe he can (or did) learn from this to not be an idiot.

Hostile_18

Banned
If he had just did this from the get-go he would've saved himself a lot of grief I'm sure..I'm always weary of apologies that take constant badgering and pressure to be made . It seems like a " I have zero outs right now so might as well"

He could well of had deeper rooted issues to solve/face first, it definitely seemed like he was in denial.

Better late than never, he could of easily left it... unless it is a ploy to kick start his youtube career.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
filip-miucin.png

So for those of you who are not aware here is a tl;dr.

Until now that is.

**Huff**Apology**Sigh**

I Stop when i read Youtuber and Journalist.

Thats the reason that i hate "Journalist Gamers" they never play actually the game, they just only copy paste from IGN and Other reviews like Metacritic.

and then youtuber, who follows him, who starts begging food on the street?

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

He could well of had deeper rooted issues to solve/face first, it definitely seemed like he was in denial.

Better late than never, he could of easily left it... unless it is a ploy to kick start his youtube career.
I don't know if he could've easily left it and still keep his youtube channel going without being bombed with dislikes ..you can actually see where his like/dislike ratio started to tank and only got worse with each video and that's not counting god knows what else he and his family went/are going through on social media..

TacosNSalsa

Didn’t he apologize way before that?
It was more of a non apology really. It was more along the lines of I'm sorry you got hurt and I'm sorry IGN had to deal with the situation but never directly apologized or even acknowledged that he did anything wrong.He also said that it is common practice for journalists to look at other people work before formulating their own opinion . And to top it off he dared the internet to find other cases of plagiarism in his videos...which they did post haste and found a lot if not most of his stuff was ripped from other places some times word for word though out the entire thing ..

Mista

Banned
And that’s how it should be. I like you🤘🏼
It was more of a non apology really. It was more along the lines of I'm sorry you got hurt and I'm sorry IGN had to deal with the situation but never directly apologized or even acknowledged that he did anything wrong.He also said that it is common practice for journalists to look at other people work before formulating their own opinion . And to top it off he dared the internet to find other cases of plagiarism in his videos...which they did post haste and found a lot if not most of his stuff was ripped from other places some times word for word though out the entire thing ..
To look at other works not copy. There’s something in his head..

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think having a 2nd chance is a good thing. Seems like a decent apology.

I'm not a fan of his or anything, so I have never seen or read his stuff. Best of luck building up an audience I guess. Hope he's entertaining.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
He should have put something like this out earlier. That would have helped him better. Good of him to apologize though.

There's tons of people writing about games and creating content. I'm not sure if he'll get a second chance.

HyGogg

Banned
He spent way too long acting like a manipulative sociopath for me to take this as anything other than a less-tonedeaf attempt at manipulation. Yes, he finally figured out the thing he was supposed to say, but do I really believe him? Not really.

ROMhack

Hang on, what did Chris Scullion have to do with this? He's a refreshing character, very old school.

Also I suspect the problem is IGN really. I very much doubt this would have happened if they contracted writers who actually like games.

Last edited:
This loser should be thrown out of gaming journalism for good. His credibility is permanently tarnished and he should blame himself for that. It boggles me as to why anyone should even give him the time of day. Forgiveness or not, the dude is a loser and a lame-o.

nkarafo

At least you know his next reviews are going to be original. After all this drama he can't afford anything different.

iconmaster

Banned
He spent way too long acting like a manipulative sociopath for me to take this as anything other than a less-tonedeaf attempt at manipulation. Yes, he finally figured out the thing he was supposed to say, but do I really believe him? Not really.

This is my feeling as well. Every word out of his mouth comes off as if he rehearsed a script from How to Manipulate for Dummies.

It's not a charitable attitude, I know. There's a path for him to earn back trust, but it's a long one.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I think having a 2nd chance is a good thing. Seems like a decent apology.

I'm not a fan of his or anything, so I have never seen or read his stuff. Best of luck building up an audience I guess. Hope he's entertaining.
If a person who committed a crime, say breaking in and entry, admitted their crime, did their time, etc, would you be jumping to hand them another set of lock picks?

Decent apology or not, he's working from a negative square, not square 0, and legitimately took other writer's work and tried to pass it off as his own. You've absolutely shot your credibility after that; he will not receive a meaningful second chance as a writer in any industry after what he did, how long he did it, and the amount that he did it. Even if he apologized "correctly," the first time, the sheer extent of what he did has screwed himself.

No one is going to want to collaborate with him because him stole other people's work! Could be friends, family, of the person he stole work from, and they don't want their names attached to THE cardinal sin in their industry, or the person who committed said sin. They'd have to scrutinize every step of what he's doing while they worked with him, and that's too much time and labor to want to deal with.
From what I gather around the webs is that he only gained a significant amount of subscribers because he did a Switch give away when they first launched then got hired on by IGN as their Ninty dude; before that he didn't have much of a following from what I understand.
To me this 100% seems like "Shit I'm not making the money I was before and don't want to work at a normal 9-5er and have developed no skills prior or since to fall back on."
If he did learn something, that's too little too late, and you don't get those privileges back easily (Or probably ever in this case).

It's awesome to learn not to do a blatant unethical thing after you committed the blantantly unethical act; though you should probably have the sense to NOT commit a the act before doing it, again, and again, and again; especially when it's legit some of the FIRST THINGS YOU LEARN IN SCHOOL!

Did he even pass school on his own merit or did he plagiarize and cheat the entire way through that as well?

Last edited:
I believe in giving people second chances but man come on like how pathetic do you have to be to copy reviews of other people? Doing a review of something is like one of the easiest things you could write/talk about.

Th ball is in his court now but I highly doubt someone that creatively bankrupt will make anything good

Last edited:

Pejo

I'm waiting for the ultimate irony in that his apology video is plagiarized from another YouTuber's apology video.

No joke, if I were him, that's exactly what I do. If you can't beat 'em, meme 'em.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
If he wanted to make a good come back, what he should do is pivot to awareness for plagiarism as his content; not as an irony thing but going through all this shit he's well acquainted on what can happen if you do plagirize, and he would probably get more viewers as well.

Oemenia

Banned
This loser should be thrown out of gaming journalism for good. His credibility is permanently tarnished and he should blame himself for that. It boggles me as to why anyone should even give him the time of day. Forgiveness or not, the dude is a loser and a lame-o.
IGN hired him in the first place for only one reason, and it has nothing to do with the fact that he just happens to be a Switch fanboy.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I'm waiting for the ultimate irony in that his apology video is plagiarized from another YouTuber's apology video.

No joke, if I were him, that's exactly what I do. If you can't beat 'em, meme 'em.
I’m pretty sure people were saying his original “apology” video from months ago was copied from another Youtube channel. Can’t find reference to it at the moment, but I remember it.

Vitacat

I forgive him. Being on the end of the internet hate machine is quite the punishment.
You know what, I agree. One thing I've come to despise about leftist call-out culture is the absolute lack of forgiveness, so unless someone does something truly unforgivable i.e. murder, rape etc. I'd personally give them a second chance.

But, of course, he's expected not to engage in more horrible and unethical behavior.

iconmaster

Banned
One thing I've come to despise about leftist call-out culture is the absolute lack of forgiveness, so unless someone does something truly unforgivable i.e. murder, rape etc. I'd personally give them a second chance.

Forgiveness is distinct from freedom from consequences.

I’m happy to forgive Miucin. But I wouldn’t hire him.

Halo0629

Took him a long time to finally apologize, but still trying to plagiarize someone's review, publicize it in a really popular gaming site, and expecting not to be caught was just pretty dumb on his part.

Top Bottom