• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Game podcast - Ep 15 - Wed, 21 October 2009

voltron

gamelogo.bmp

Cast:

N'Gai Croal

Shawn Elliott

Robert Ashley

http://media.libsyn.com/media/mexicutedbyhepitacos/out_of_the_game-episode_15.mp3

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
We need an out of the game catchphrase to make posting in the thread easier.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
templeusox said:
Pretty good ep. A little late on the D9 talk, but interesting nonetheless. Ashley raved about UC2.

When do they talk about D9 and how far into spoiler territory does it go? I'm not that spoiler sensitive, but even so I've really been looking forward to see that movie and haven't had the chance yet.

ItsInMyVeins said:
When do they talk about D9 and how far into spoiler territory does it go? I'm not that spoiler sensitive, but even so I've really been looking forward to see that movie and haven't had the chance yet.
The show begins with D9 talk and the alert level is very high. Basically, if you're at all sensitive to it, don't listen. They same the same thing to preface the conversation.

The musichub.ign and music.ign conversation is very interesting. I'm surprised this issue received more derision here. Basically, Activision has paid the net's largest gaming website to ignore the GH's biggest competitor on certain portions of the site.

voltron

So, District 9....

I was really glad to hear Robert talk about the poor quality of the doco style intro. I thought that was atrociously done. And I was actually surprised to hear N'Gai say that he thought the main dudes acting was excellent.... maybe it was in the later part of the movie, but that intro was just fucking terribly acted.

And whats the deal with the accent he was trying to put on? It honestly sounded like an asian man trying to speak english. I really think he missed the mark with accent.

Anyone else notice that?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Have you ever heard of South Africa?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Zefah said:
Have you ever heard of South Africa?

Exactly, I've heard a few people complain about the accent but my SA friends sound exactly the same, I just think that if you haven't heard it in person before it can sound a little strange but it really is quite normal tbh.

Anyway fairly good episode but felt really short, Shaun's IGN rant didn't help really.

itsinmyveins

templeusox said:
IGN Music Hub controversy and Band Hero.

Yeah, it's about music.ign.com too. And I can see why -- just checking that site out and every other story seems to be based around or at least mentioning upcoming DJ or Band Hero-games.

randomwab

esquar said:
So the team under Ken Levine is making a shooter, that rules out X-Com.
System Shock 3 maybe.

Hasn't it been mentioned that it's multiplayer online? Plus, System Shock is EA.

I'm guessing it'll be a new IP.

GhaleonQ

I confess I may have forgotten, but it seems like we haven't gotten a weird/highbrow topic recently. I cast 1 vote for a book or weird topic next time, if possible.

itsinmyveins

GhaleonQ said:
I confess I may have forgotten, but it seems like we haven't gotten a weird/highbrow topic recently. I cast 1 vote for a book or weird topic next time, if possible.

If I'm not totally off, I seem to recall you mentioning Machinarium in some other podcast thread. It'd be cool hearing some opinions on that game, being a very charming adventure that sidesteps the need for dialouge in respect of words and spoken lines. Personally, I'm probably gonna try it out any day now.

GhaleonQ

ItsInMyVeins said:
If I'm not totally off, I seem to recall you mentioning Machinarium in some other podcast thread. It'd be cool hearing some opinions on that game, being a very charming adventure that sidesteps the need for dialouge in respect of words and spoken lines. Personally, I'm probably gonna try it out any day now.

This is a great idea. It's short, it borrows the "language" of comics (or does only Shawn read?) and combines it with awesome animation to make a Winsor McCay/artist I'm forgetting right now hybrid, and the dialogue/cutscene thing is pretty much half of the podcast's favorite video game-related topic.

That would work really well.

Doytch

ItsInMyVeins said:
That's my favourite part of it. I know a lot of people love the art/music, but there's a part where the robot main character dances that just bleeds a tonne of character. And the thought bubble exposition is just incredibly perfect. Hope some of them check it out since it's totally worth it.

Calcaneus

Man, I didn't pay much attention to that IGN musichub shit, but man. I almost feel like the site should be banned here if they are so obviously being paid for editorial.

itsinmyveins

Calcaneus said:
Man, I didn't pay much attention to that IGN musichub shit, but man. I almost feel like the site should be banned here if they are so obviously being paid for editorial.

Yeah. Even with that little disclaimer at the top I don't think it's exactly clear enough for your average reader who've just stumbled their way to the site. I wonder how common it is for Activision, for instance, to offer ads in exchange for editorial coverage of their products.

voltron said:
So, District 9....

I was really glad to hear Robert talk about the poor quality of the doco style intro. I thought that was atrociously done. And I was actually surprised to hear N'Gai say that he thought the main dudes acting was excellent.... maybe it was in the later part of the movie, but that intro was just fucking terribly acted.

And whats the deal with the accent he was trying to put on? It honestly sounded like an asian man trying to speak english. I really think he missed the mark with accent.

Anyone else notice that?
I am amazed at the amount of stuff Robert hates that are staples of videogames, and yet he still plays them.

voltron said:
So, District 9....

Anyone else notice that?

I thought the actor's native South African?

It's probably the accent that got you, but I thought the actor was really good during the intro. Smug, pathetic, and even repugnant, it's all there.

Anyway, whatever you thought of his accent, it was miles ahead of most accents in movies, like that horrific one phoned in by Natalie Portman in V For Vendetta.

Zeliard

wmat said:
How one can hate on the beginning of D9 is beyond me. You guys are pretty weird.

I didn't hate the beginning at all, but I did think it had a strange sort of vibe to it. It made it so that I couldn't take Wikus seriously in dramatic moments for a while (that certainly changed, though), because the beginning had a very campy feel to it, especially him.

Nizz

Ahh man, District 9 talk and I missed it in theaters. :( Gonna have to fast forward that part. Anyone have a general idea of how long the talk is?

Also, just recently heard the last episode. I really enjoyed the discussion about the extreme fanboys. I only own a PS3 and I was expecting the worst. :lol Thanks Jeff, you're right in that not all Sony fans need a perfect 10 score to validate their purchase. ;)

I wonder when will 2K finally reveal what they've been working on? I hope it's a case of them unveiling the game and then not having to wait too long for it.

Nothing worse than hearing about a cool game, then having to wait 3-4 years till it's out...

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Zeliard said:
I didn't hate the beginning at all, but I did think it had a strange sort of vibe to it. It made it so that I couldn't take Wikus seriously in dramatic moments for a while (that certainly changed, though), because the beginning had a very campy feel to it, especially him.
It was comical, yeah. And it was obviously intended that way. I really enjoyed that though. I like the mix of docudrama with comical aspects. Especially when it's about things that are horrifying and morally and ethically wrong.
To me, that's the best way of handling things in a fictional piece. Children of Men did exactly the same thing, and it blew me away. Same with D9.

Zeliard said:

I agree with the guys on the podcast in that it sort of disarmed me for the first part of the movie, and because of that, the abortion scene became particularly disturbing.

wmat said:
It was comical, yeah. And it was obviously intended that way. I really enjoyed that though. I like the mix of docudrama with comical aspects. Especially when it's about things that are horrifying and morally and ethically wrong.
To me, that's the best way of handling things in a fictional piece. Children of Men did exactly the same thing, and it blew me away. Same with D9.

IGN.com.

Idle Thumbs makes me sad.

The movie feels oddly broken since it goes in and out of the documentary stuff and the real time stuff. It's as though two people were working on the film.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
practice02 said:
The movie feels oddly broken since it goes in and out of the documentary stuff and the real time stuff. It's as though two people were working on the film.
That I can agree with.

Acid08

Banned
Hasphat6462 said:
I agree with the guys on the podcast in that it sort of disarmed me for the first part of the movie, and because of that, the abortion scene became particularly disturbing.
That's what I loved about the intro. It gives you this vibe of what you think the movie is going to be and then it totally pulls the rug out from under you. I really liked it.

Also Shawn, do you guys think you're going to discuss all the MW2 PC drama on the next podcast? It's a subject I would really like to hear all of your opinions on.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Acid08 said:
Also Shawn, do you guys think you're going to discuss all the MW2 PC drama on the next podcast? It's a subject I would really like to hear all of your opinions on.
You know, I'd prefer them not going off about that, half the cast being competitors in the genre and stuff (Shawn, Luke, probably N'Gai to some extent).

Zeliard

wmat said:
You know, I'd prefer them not going off about that, half the cast being competitors in the genre and stuff (Shawn, Luke, probably N'Gai to some extent).

Yeah, I assumed they wouldn't touch the issue since they have jobs in the industry now.

voltron

I dunno, to me the accent didnt sound South African at all.

And what about the actual dialogue in the first part of the movie. It was terrible. So cliche, from the main guy and others. I just didnt find it convincing at all.

Loved the rest of the movie though.

Zeliard

Just finished the ep. Will be expecting to hear unfettered Demon's Souls praise from N'Gai next episode.

And yeah, you guys really should go weekly, especially since one of the few podcasts on the planet who would talk about a game like Risen just died.

Top Bottom